• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 12, 2017
I'm sorry, but I'm confused as to how that answers my question. To clarify, the question is: "How does having 50 VIG negatively affect build variety?"

More directly, what builds can't you make with 50 VIG?
Starting to get ridiculous and is also indicative of a fanbase this rabid.

Let me make this easy. Even Dark Souls, if I had shit Vitality I can still beat bosses, sure my build my put me up against the wall.

I would get 2 hit, but they also didn't have 8 move combos all with AoE lol.

It's called balance. Do I need go further?

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
So today I fought
Mohg
and I've heard he's meant to be hard, but I beat him first try. I also heard he has a phase 2, but he literally just died after one phase for me. Was super easy, I'm not very good at the game, and I'm about level 150. Did something glitch out or did I get lucky?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
So today I fought
Mohg
and I've heard he's meant to be hard, but I beat him first try. I also heard he has a phase 2, but he literally just died after one phase for me. Was super easy, I'm not very good at the game, and I'm about level 150. Did something glitch out or did I get lucky?
I think he's highly level-dependant, and you can reach him early so a lot of people struggle. First time I fought him I one-shot him and I couldn't understand the posts lamenting how hard he is. In my current playthrough I met him at level 70 and it was a very different story.

Djredline

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
1st ever fromsoft game and just finished my 3rd playthrough and all achievements.

Think I've beaten all bosses apart from the double crucible knights as I just fall apart at the sight of them.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
1st ever fromsoft game and just finished my 3rd playthrough and all achievements.

Think I've beaten all bosses apart from the double crucible knights as I just fall apart at the sight of them.

Their AI got patched in 1.04 so they should be easier now. Haven't seen video of the patched fight yet but give them a try!

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to get ridiculous and is also indicative of a fanbase this rabid.

Let me make this easy. Even Dark Souls, if I had shit Vitality I can still beat bosses, sure my build my put me up against the wall.

I would get 2 hit, but they also didn't have 8 move combos all with AoE lol.

It's called balance. Do I need go further?

I've politely asked a straightforward question for the last two pages and you've avoided answering it, which is rather ironic when you complained earlier about how "FROM stans" don't explain themselves.

The issue with you guys is you continuously fail to talk about WHY you like bad aspects of this game. We debate about games everyday on this social platform lol. But the refusal for some FromSoftware stans to explain why they like certain aspects of something is stark and comical

You have explained why you don't like the alleged "VIG requirement" (which I don't think I ever asked, but thank you anyway), but you have yet to explain how it negatively affects build variety, which is all I've been asking.

So again, the most direct question I can ask to understand where you're coming from:

"What builds can't you make if you have to have 50 VIG?"

That's all I'm asking.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I think he's highly level-dependant, and you can reach him early so a lot of people struggle. First time I fought him I one-shot him and I couldn't understand the posts lamenting how hard he is. In my current playthrough I met him at level 70 and it was a very different story.

Is he meant to have a second phase? Cause I certainly didn't notice one.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Did you ever play the Chalice Dungeons in BB? The late ones, with all the extra modifiers to buff the enemies, were great! And sometimes you'd get a layout that was just unfair to the point of sadism. Those fucking spiders the bell maiden summons. Infinite spiders that can two-shot you! Love it.

My man. I seriously loved spelunking through Chalices. There were some awesome ones.

Dec 12, 2017
I've politely asked a straightforward question for the last two pages and you've avoided answering it, which is rather ironic when you complained earlier about how "FROM stans" don't explain themselves.

You have explained why you don't like the alleged "VIG requirement" (which I don't think I ever asked, but thank you anyway), but you have yet to explain how it negatively affects build variety, which is all I've been asking.

So again, the most direct question I can ask to understand where you're coming from:

"What builds can't you make if you have to have 50 VIG?"

That's all I'm asking.
This is ridiculous

Re-read what you just said hahaha.

I don't want a VIG build. In past From games that was ok. Beating the game was doable. I could have a 50 Dex/5O Arc and still realistically work it out.

But in ER it's next to impossible. Sure show me a YT proving me wrong after 100 times but guess what I'm not doing it after 100 times. That's my complaint

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it's stupid to have to be successful after 100 times for most people.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think the issue here is still stuck in the error that there's a meta at 120 and you can't level past that,kinda like old Souls. But 120 is an outdated level in Elden Ring. You end up finishing the game at around 140ish normally, which is far enough to get 40 VIG (softcap) and the other required stats. Also most people have agreed with a 150 meta anyways (except duelists).

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, it is. You have avoided answering a straightforward question over multiple posts.

Perhaps reconsider complaining about how "FROM stans" can't explain themselves until you can afford others the same courtesy.

I don't want a VIG build.

As I mentioned earlier, builds are usually defined by the primary attack stat (DEX, STR, FTH, INT, ARC) and/or the primary weapon/spells.

For example, if you have 50 VIG and 50 FTH, that is not a VIG build, it is a FTH build. If you have 50 VIG, 20 DEX, 20 STR and 40 INT, that isn't a VIG build, that's an INT build (or arguably an INT/Quality hybrid build).

Do you perhaps understand now why having high VIG doesn't affect build variety in the slightest?

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Only 10. If you're on PC its really easy to back up your save, doable on consoles from what I understand but probably more of a hassle.

I run a bunch of different builds for PvP and there is just too much variety this time. I might actually need two different back ups that holds different characters each because I don't just throw away the character if I end up liking how it plays.

Dec 12, 2017
Yes, it is. You have avoided answering a straightforward question over multiple posts.

Perhaps reconsider complaining about how "FROM stans" can't explain themselves until you can afford others the same courtesy.

As I mentioned earlier, builds are usually defined by the primary attack stat (DEX, STR, FTH, INT, ARC) and/or the primary weapon/spells.

For example, if you have 50 VIG and 50 FTH, that is not a VIG build, it is a FTH build. If you have 50 VIG, 20 DEX, 20 STR and 40 INT, that isn't a VIG build, that's an INT/Quality hybrid build.

Do you perhaps understand now why having high VIG doesn't affect build variety in the slightest?
You're just arguing semantically. I do not want to have 50 VIG to have a viable build for the end game. Is that easier? That's a difficulty slider lol

Damage scale is most affected by Vigor in Elden, that's fact. Cool up to Reyndell it's fair.

Maybe it's the soft cap but it gets to a point after that where if you don't have 60 VIG you can't survive 2 hits.

Also cool. Than you have teleporting mobs, re-skinned dogs, Zamor Knights, Giants etc. that are super buffed and literally the same enemies we faced in Lingrave/Liurnia/Caelid. Shit is so wack but the backlash I've gotten for saying it is crazy.

I saw a hand spider late game and thought that they were crunching. Shit was garbage

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Enemies deal more damage so you need to spec for more life. It's a super basic RPG 101 concept. It doesn't stop you from rolling whatever build you want play.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I made it past the giant at lv1 and I want to go straight to Farum so that I can get the rest of the smithing bells. Do any quests get messed up just by going to Farum?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're just arguing semantically. I do not want to have 50 VIG to have a viable build for the end game. Is that easier? That's a difficulty slider lol

That's a completely different proposition to "50 VIG negatively affects build variety", which is demonstrably false.

So I take it we agree it doesn't affect build variety, it's just you don't like "having" to put points in VIG?

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I mentioned this before but the exploration of the end

If the issue is that the difficulty jump at Mountaintops is to steep I agree, I already comented it back then, it's such a big jump.

That being said, I never felt like it harmed my builds. You have to put more points into VIG yeah, but you also get a lot of exp with the increased difficulty. I would probably rather a tamer difficulty curve and less exp, but it is what is it, and at the end you overcome and overlevel it like any other thing in the game.

Dec 12, 2017
That's a completely different proposition to "50 VIG negatively affects build variety", which is demonstrably false.

So I take it we agree it doesn't affect build variety, it's just you don't like "having" to put points in VIG?
Alright I'm going to put this in simple fucking terns

1) DS alright my VIG isn't up late game I can 4-5 combo moves
2) Et This Boss is moving Bloodborne style ok! The boss is 2 hitting me level 100. Oh shit I respecced to 60 VIG and still got 2 shot

This is so stupid if I'm forced to allocate points to a specific stat how's that not affecting my build? You.literally admitted it and continue to use semantics to take ignorance

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
It's tough going from open world to legacy dungeons where you can't just constantly refill your flasks anymore.

I need to conserve mana so I can't just nuke everything like I was doing. :(

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is so stupid if I'm forced to allocate points to a specific stat how's is that not affect my build?

Firstly, you are not forced. Whether you "feel" forced or not, it is literally a decision you're making to make the game more palatable to you. Other people make the decision not to pump VIG because it makes the game more palatable to them.

Secondly, there is enough experience and points - without grinding - to have 50-60 VIG and any number or variety of builds you like. Enemy exp rewards scale as sharply as the difficulty, as do the consumable rune items. There are stat boosting talismans, armour, etc.

I'm happy to be proven wrong here. Could you please - finally - show me or describe a build you can't make because you have to have 50 VIG in ER that you could make in Dark Souls?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm at the Palace, so I assume he was supposed to have 2. Guess I didn't notice!
It's one of those fights where at low health they go RAWR I'M BUSTING OUT MY BEST SHIT NOW, like Margit. No cutscene, so you can smash them to death before they RAWR.

Lol why you'd probably be at Malenia for the 800th time, you'd be too busy.
You could watch me fight, and discourage me with insults. It's like extra-hard mode. I like this plan.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Can't believe I'm 90 hours in and still uncovering massive areas. I love it, but at this rate I'll never play Horizon lol.

Dec 12, 2017
Firstly, you are not forced. Whether you "feel" forced or not, it is literally a decision you're making to make the game more palatable to you. Other people make the decision not to pump VIG because it makes the game more palatable to them.

Secondly, there is enough experience and points - without grinding - to have 50-60 VIG and any number or variety of builds you like. Enemy exp rewards scale as sharply as the difficulty, as do the consumable rune items.

I'm happy to be proven wrong here. Could you show me or describe a build you can't make because you have to have 50 VIG in ER that you could make in Dark Souls?
I can't believe this shit. I'm literally talking about how palatable the game is haha. You're using semantics to move the goalposts. We're talking about a video game

Enemy EXPs don't scale as sharply outside of bosses it's not true at all. That's also unbalanced.

Killing the fire gargoyles that are literal statues and can't turn around give more runes 3500k vs the gargoyles that 3 hit you with blood damage. Guess which enemy is harder to detect and kill???? How many runes do you get latter?

That's why everyone runs through the mountains lol unless you're a masochist.

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this shit. I'm literally talking about how palatable the game is haha. You're using semantics to move the goalposts.

I think you'll find that my goalpost has been in the same place all the way through our painful discussion. I don't think having 50 VIG affects build variety. I've asked you multiple times for an example of a build you can't make because of having 50 VIG and you have avoided providing one.

Probably because there isn't one.

You can make your point about the late-game difficulty spike and most people's need to pump VIG to survive it without making up shit about how it negatively affects build variety. That, in a nutshell, is the crux of my point and it hasn't changed.

Enemy EXPs don't scale as sharply outside of bosses it's not true at all. That's also unbalanced.

There is a sharp increase in XP in late game areas. Kill a Godrick soldier in Limgrave, then kill the Liurnia, Capital and Haligtree equivalent and you'll see the differences.

Killing the fire gargoyles that are literal statues and can't turn around give more runes 3500k vs the gargoyles that 3 hit you with blood damage. Guess which enemy is harder to detect and kill???? How many runes do you get latter?

Yeah, I agree. The XP values between enemies sometimes doesn't make sense. That wasn't what I was talking about though.

Dec 12, 2017
I think you'll find that my goalpost has been in the same place all the way through our painful discussion:

I don't think having 50 VIG affects build variety. I've asked you multiple times for an example of a build you can't make because of having 50 VIG and you have avoided providing one.

Probably because there isn't one.

You can make your point about the late-game difficulty spike and most people's need to pump VIG to survive it without making up shit about how it negatively affects build variety. That, in a nutshell, is the crux of my point.

There is a sharp increase in XP in late game areas. Kill a Godrick soldier in Limgrave, then kill the Liurnia, Capital and Haligtree equivalent and you'll see the differences.

Yeah, I agree. The XP values between enemies sometimes doesn't make sense. That wasn't what I was talking about though.
This is what I mean by semantics. You can literally max out any character by easily farming to max level. Whether it's going to Moghs or other earlier areas in Caelid.

But that shit sucks. There maybe 1-2 bosses that did crazy damage in Soulsbourne and THEY got nerfed lmao

Apr 3, 2020
I wish the game had more influence from DeS by how weapons' attack type and attributes makes a big difference.

Using holy attacks against Deathbird will destroy him, but this the only scenario I can thing of.

Dec 12, 2017
Ironically, I don't think you know the meaning of the word.

I haven't said a jot about farming runes. You can make whatever build you want and still have 50-60 VIG without farming. I've literally done precisely that.
Oh boy. I'll say this again.

You never had to do 50+ Vig builds. You're probably not familiar but in the past health was under vitality. But that was never required to prioritize as a build.

It helped in some fights but didn't in other.

The great part of Soulsbourne was Balance between all builds. I think you're struggling with the balance part of the vernacular.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Lol why you'd probably be at Malenia for the 800th time, you'd be too busy.
Hahaha!! Trying to beat her with pot soldiers and a torch!

You know you're not wrong, scaling and xp and balance are inconsistent at times in this compared to other ones.

I was surprised to find people leveling way past 110-120, but yeah, in this one, everything's bigger. The world, the levels, the damage you do, the damage they do. Everything.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You never had to do 50+ Vig builds. You're probably not familiar but in the past health was under vitality. But that was never required to prioritize as a build.

You had to invest in VIT in previous games. If you didn't, you would have trouble reaching the end game.

For example, the softcaps for VIT in Dark Souls were 30 (1000ish HP) and 50 (1500ish HP). VIG in ER gives about 950 for 30 VIG and 1700ish for 50 VIG, so not that much different. If anything, you get more HP for the same investment in ER.

Funnily enough, most build recommendations for DS would put VIT at 40-50, leaning more toward the latter. Same for 2, 3 and Bloodborne.

Maybe you're misremembering?

The hell even is this thread now..

Be the change you wish to see.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
It's one of those fights where at low health they go RAWR I'M BUSTING OUT MY BEST SHIT NOW, like Margit. No cutscene, so you can smash them to death before they RAWR.
I hit Mohg at later levels, and read up on the encounter. After the horror stories oh phase 2 I was mentally prepared,
got the tear for the physick, got the shackle, buffed my bleed build, ready to roll. Smacked the shackle 3 times to start and he only moved frantically at the end and was downed in less than 1min.

But like you said, depends on level, build, etc. I struggled like hell at some of the early bosses people just steamrolled.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
In my journey to smack every single NPC on the face to see their reaction, Rya, like Roderika, has a barrier that prevents you from hurting her.

Oh boy. I'll say this again.

It helped in some fights but didn't in other.

The great part of Soulsbourne was Balance between all builds. I think you're struggling with the balance part of the vernacular.

You're stuck thinking Elden Ring is somehow the same game as previous entries. Every single soft cap has gone up, in previous games you had a quality build at 40/40 STR/DEX, this is no longer the case, in previous games you had the Vitality stat to increase equipment load, Attunement to increase spell slots or Adaptability to increase roll iframes / consumable speed or godforbid, Resistance to increase defense. Those stats are gone, did those games also prevent you from building you character like you wanted because you had to increase those stats?

As for needing 50+ vigor, you can beat the game handily with 40 VIG, I and many others did so without too many problems even with Radagon's Soreseal which increases damage taken, this is a measly 13 vigor more than what I would put in DS3 for a PVE character, for example. if we take into consideration that I don't have to invest any points in Vitality or Attunement, I would say that there's more room for build variety, not less.

Last edited: