• Elden Ring

Votes: 786 42.3%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,070 57.7%

• Total voters

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Both games are goated but Bloodborne is my first love when it comes to souls games.

Which will always make it near and dear to my heart.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Both are 10/10 games (alongside DS1) but I prefer Bloodborne a hell of a lot more. Vastly prefer the setting (I mean gothic and lovecrafian horror, come on), much more aggressive gameplay, weapons being quality over quantity and the fucking music. I simply just vibe with it harder.

Nov 13, 2017
Elden Ring is the near-perfection of the Souls genre.

Bloodborne, however, is way too cool for school and remains higher ranked for me.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring but with Bloodborne's setting would be the greatest game of all time.

Oct 28, 2017
I like Bloodborne, especially the idea behind trick weapons, but I don't like the gun parry system and having to charge R2 to set up a visceral attack is always awkward for me. Also 30 fps sucks.

Elden Ring, to me, is more fun to play with stuff like jump attacks, guard counters, guard breaks, weapon variety further enhanced by ashes of war and power stancing, and really fun spells. I felt it was also more fun to explore.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
Elden Ring is easily one of the best games I've ever played, but Bloodborne is my favorite game of all time.

BB>Elden Ring>DS3>DS1>DeS>Sekiro>DS2

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't get the love for Bloodborne, I suspect it has a lot to do with it being many peoples first souls game. It's a great game and the only area that sucks is Nightmare Frontier, but man most of the base game bosses are underwhelming (and chalice dungeons lol). Have to put DeS and DS1 above Bloodborne.

But I would still choose BB over ER due to the balancing and reused enemies/bosses

That sentence makes no sense. DeS (specially) and ds1 bosses are a damn joke. At the time maybe they seemed good, but they are the most basic bosses you can think of now.

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne.

Much better setting (seriously From, enough with the damn fantasy already), more interesting lore and a more fun combat system. Dashing, instant healing, gun parrying, trick weapons. Just more fun to play.

Jun 22, 2019
One game is incredible from start to finish with no lulls in between.

The other is Elden Ring.

I had tons of lulls in Bloodborne. (And that's ignoring the lulls of farming vials because I wasn't capable of beating some bosses but wanted to keep trying regardless.)

Also navigating to simply progress the game in BB led to lulls where I had to actually look up what area I failed to find on my own. Mainline progression in ER never required that.

Also on the boss topic, most boss runs in BB are short, but some are definitely long enough to be really annoying if you're the sort of player who keeps bashing their skull against the boss instead of coming back later with more levels. The run to the old dude on the snowy castle felt like a hell of a lull.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I had tons of lulls in Bloodborne. (And that's ignoring the lulls of farming vials because I wasn't capable of beating some bosses but wanted to keep trying regardless.)
If you play Bloodborne again, a good practice is to spend about 15% of your blood echoes on vials, and bullets if you need 'em. You'll likely never have to farm, and you'll have a smoother experience with it. You may of course already be aware of this, but I thought i'd mention it just in case <3.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Elden Ring for me. I love the freedom, build variety, all jaw dropping areas, scale of the world and all verticality, thanks to having option to jump.

ER -> DS1 - > BB

Also, Flasks => piece of crap => Blood Vials

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

The game that has lengthy load screens and heal scarcity has lulls in its core experience. I don't believe most people who say "you have enough vials if you play right" when so many people hate that system. Maybe god gamers and souls vets always had spares, but as the first one I played through that was not the case. Some of the run backs to the bosses were needlessly long too. Im the type to attempt a boss even if im feeling underleveled as opposed to grinding levels, which a few bosses drained vials like crazy.

You can level, but that probably means going through multiple load screens into a challice dungeon, or grinding levels on a specific area. I think Elden Ring is their first game that truly felt like you could just come back to something and go do one of many other things. You can't really even experiment with other builds in Bloodborne easily, either. Went the whole game with 2 melee weapons just swinging at the enemies, mostly 1.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019
If you play Bloodborne again, a good practice is to spend about 15% of your blood echoes on vials, and bullets if you need 'em. You'll likely never have to farm, and you'll have a smoother experience with it. You may of course already be aware of this, but I thought i'd mention it just in case <3.

Am aware by now but thanks! Back when I found out in my first playthrough that I should have been buying them even when I had excess, I was already at a point where they were the most expensive and it felt so bogus. I seriously couldn't believe the vials went through all those price hikes - those merchants are some filthy capitalists I tell you what.

That being said, I amassed hundreds by farming multiple times only to keep losing those hundreds on a few select bosses I had trouble with. Because I kept blowing through 15 to 20 per attempt. So I'm pretty sure that even had I originally been buying extras, at that point in the game I would have still lost them all. It's funny cause I kept hearing how people consider the first half of the game more difficult, whereas I found the first half surprisingly easy but had bosses that I just kept failing to adjust to in the second half.

Last edited:

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely prefer Bloodborne. Field exploration barely felt like a positive for me in Elden Ring. Sure there are some nice vistas from time to time but I don't care for it for the most part. ER was most memorable to me when all I had to do was push forward so stuff like the eternal cities all the way down to Astel which is really just normal Souls-faire when you get down to it.

The way the traditional areas were broken up did not work to the games benefit for me personally. When you add it all up there's a significant length regular Souls game in there but I dunno. Also getting certain build defining weapons/artifacts are kind of pain to remember.

I'll cut ER some slack because it's hard to divorce my memory of Bloodborne to exclude The Old Hunters when on its own, is maybe the best thing From has ever made. Hopefully the ER DLC elevates the experience in the same way.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Also navigating to simply progress the game in BB led to lulls where I had to actually look up what area I failed to find on my own. Mainline progression in ER never required that.

Also on the boss topic, most boss runs in BB are short, but some are definitely long enough to be really annoying if you're the sort of player who keeps bashing their skull against the boss instead of coming back later with more levels. The run to the old dude on the snowy castle felt like a hell of a lull.
Coming back to a boss more leveled up is 10x more of a chore in a traditional souls like bloodborne compared to Elden Ring too. In Elden Ring when I cant beat a boss and decide to come back later, I can explore loads of new areas I havent been to before and they are all great. In bloodborne either I grind one spot or do chalice dungeons which are pretty bad.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I love Bloodborne, but it's got to be Elden Ring for me. It's the culmination of the Souls games as a modern reinvention of the original Legend of Zelda.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Even after Elden Ring which I loved, Bloodborne remains my favorite game of all time.

I love the transforming weapons, quickstep dodging, gun parries, and the rally system which encourages aggression. All this combined with the Lovecraftian setting puts Bloodborne on another level.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I prefer Bloodborne but Elden Ring is a really good game. It's probably better, but I very much prefer the themes of BB.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring by far for me. I think it does pretty much everything better than Bloodborne save for the setting/atmosphere.

Ilyahero

Nov 25, 2019
It's very hard to choose which one is better. Both legendary games. In terms of combat and enemy design bloodborne is better. But Elden ring's open world makes it so deep and immersive. It also has way more weapon and enemy variety, and technically it's also way more polished.
But considering Elden ring is one of the biggest rpgs ever made in terms of sales and critical acclaim, I don't think we'll ever see bb 2, which is really sad.

Apr 23, 2019
Different strengths, but ER being massive gives it a higher risk for burnout which can leave a bad taste. The poll isn't surprising in that regard.

ER I think is From's best game, but it suffers from diminishing returns that come with it having a lot of the same bones that Souls games have had since 2009. The fact that such a familiar experience can feel remarkable a decade later is a massive achievement. I can't decide how much of that is a credit to ER as a game or to the foundation laid back in Demon Souls.

ER and BB both are lacking in the multiplayer department for me compared to the Souls games. Covenants were responsible for many of my favorite From memories, and the lack of anything similar in the non-Souls games is disappointing. Particularly for ER, its multiplayer offerings feel like a meaningful regression when it takes almost everything else from Souls.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
On first playthrough, I'd probably go with Bloodborne. In terms of re-playabiliity, I think Elden Ring might win. I can't vote on this though, it's too hard to choose.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I'll wait until the DLC to make a judgement.

Old Hunters has some of the best bosses and levels in From's history.

I want From to go really freakin weird with Elden Ring DLC.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Bloodborne. And it`s not even close.
Sony Japan should do another game with From. Oh, wait...

Miya Moto

Jun 4, 2018
Both were fantastic but only one of them stick out in my mind as the truly memorable experience. Bloodborne.

After spending 130 hours in Elden Ring (have not touched it for the last 3 or 4 weeks), i was surprised by how fuzzy the game felt in my mind. I think back on the experience and the main thing jumping out at me are the vistas you see as you explore.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I think I'd rate them like 50% of Elden Ring > Bloodborne > other 50% of Elden Ring. At its peak I think Elden Ring was top top tier, but Bloodborne is a more consistently fantastic experience from start to end. So for me personally I'd end up voting for Elden Ring, I just love huge games like that with massive worlds, but it's not like there's a gulf there. The pair of them are incredible titles.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already leaning heavily towards BB. I reckon ER is going to have a harsh fall after the novelty wears out. Or maybe I'm just in the minority.

Bloodborne beats ER in Atmosphere, Music, Boss Battles, Weapons, Characters and Story. Its kinda mind-blowing, ER is a 10 in my book but then Bloodborne should be an 11 because I still think its a much better game lol
so that makes it 15 out of 10?..
Smh at this math.

10 maps to infinity. You can round 9.8 to to 10, but a million times better than 9.8 is still not above 10.
I'm (half) joking

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Haven't played Elden Ring for a significant amount of time yet, but Bloodborne didn't surpass Dark Souls 1 as the best From game imo. Bloodborne skews too much into the action side, even if it does it the right way (unlike Dark Souls 3), still loses some of what makes these games special.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
There is just way too much content and variety in Elden Ring for it to be anything but the best.

Bloodborne also has major flaws - The blood vial system is kinda crap and the chalice dungeons are repetitive.

The locations in Elden Ring are the best i've seen in any game. Looking out over the Lakes of Liurnia has to be one of the most awe-inspiring gaming moments ever.

Apr 25, 2020
I gotta give it to Elden Ring, barely though. Bloodborne is still fantastic and is better thematically, but gameplay wise ER has it covered.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
The game with the best performance…so neither.

but Elden Ring for me. Bloodborne's aesthetic just never did it for me. But yes both games have serious performance issues and I don't know why Fromsoft keeps getting away with it.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne because in the end it's the one I can see myself replaying the most. Elden Ring, once you know what matters for what build, cuts out like 70% of its content. But Bloodborne feels the most dated now even though it's the 4th entry into the series (DeS, DS1, DS2), and Elden Ring in comparison feels way better to play.

They're edge to edge, but once Bloodborne comes out with some patch or a remaster then I would put it above Elden Ring.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne if it was on better hardware.

With all its performance issues Elden Ring has, it's still a lot better than Bloodborne.