• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Jesse get a happy ending?

• Yes

Votes: 231 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 248 51.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your contribution to this thread is so strange. You voice your opinion but you don't want any discussion. Do you know this is a discussion forum?
Of course. I also never said i dont want discussion. I just have to keep going back and forth over a silly point i wasnt even making in the first place (and then clarified as such).

If people wanted to actually discuss whether they think this addition added to the story of breaking bad in a meaningful way id be more than happy to have that conversation.

Ill shut up with the childish bickering with kharvey tho. That went on too long and i should have been the better person and just stopped. Ill shut up with them now.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
The two main characters of Breaking Bad were Walt and Jesse. Jesse barely had any resolution in the finale of Breaking Bad other than escaping. Many people assumed given the grim tone of the show that it would be realistic to assume he might not have had a happy ending.

Uhh no. Jesse had a perfectly adequate resolution in Felina. For once, he stopped Walt's manipulation, asking him say 'I want this' instead of 'you want this'. It was a closure to his toxic relationship with Walt. Just like Skyler made Walt speak honestly, Jesse did the same as well. It was a perfect ending, and it leaves room for interpretation for what happens to Jesse, and even Walt as well as kind of an open (yet expertly concluded) ending. It was perfect.

El Camino is not a bad movie. It just feels like a filler. Unlike BCS which had original story to tell, El Camino does not add anything interesting. As an epilogue, it's unnecessary. As a movie, it failed to create a proper beginning, middle and end. There is no arc here. I know it's supposed to be a closure, but this is still a 2 hour movie. There needs to be something else. It's just missing something.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uhh no. Jesse had a perfectly adequate resolution in Felina. For once, he stopped Walt's manipulation, asking him say 'I want this' instead of 'you want this'. It was a closure to his toxic relationship with Walt. Just like Skyler made Walt speak honestly, Jesse did the same as well. It was a perfect ending, and it leaves room for interpretation for what happens to Jesse, and even Walt as well as kind of an open (yet expertly concluded) ending. It was perfect.

El Camino is not a bad movie. It just feels like a filler. Unlike BCS which had original story to tell, El Camino does not add anything interesting. As an epilogue, it's unnecessary. As a movie, it failed to create a proper beginning, middle and end. There is no arc here. I know it's supposed to be a closure, but this is still a 2 hour movie. There needs to be something else. It's just missing something.
Agreed. This sums up my own thoughts a bit more throughly.

pro tip, don't bother with jviggy
I was gonna ask what i ever did to you but then i looked at your post history and realized why you probably dont like me.

Last edited:

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not what I expected the film to be like, but it was nigh on perfect. A slow burn that gave plenty of fan service, but also filled holes in the story and gave Jesse the perfect ending. Just a fantastic 2-hour epilogue to the series. Non-fans will really struggle with it though, this was meant previous viewers only. Kudos for going down that route, must have been tempting as hell to try and bring in new viewers.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
I like how it sort of feels like they're having multiple swings at the BB saga finale between this, the show's actual finale, and the eventual BCS finale. And then I guess there could be a Rhea Netflix spinoff!

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
While they are somewhat synonymous I really wish conversation regarding minor follow-ups would be discussed more as denouements over epilogues.

The former would be far more accurate as a drop in action following a climax.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
@everyone saying this is "unnecessary" or similar comments... Don't. That is 100% of the time the worst and laziest criticism you can give anything. If you didn't like it, find something else to say. No entertainment media is "necessary".

El Camino tells a complete story from beginning to end about a guy suffering from PTSD, on the run, and trying to get away with his life. That story doesn't rely on any other story. Does having watched Breaking Bad and knowing these character's prior histories help that? Absolutely. Is it necessary to enjoy this? I'd actually say it is not.

All that being said, I thought this movie was great. It never had to reach the highs of its predecessor. It just had to be a good epilogue, and it was. It is expertly directed and written. And Aaron Paul really just acts the hell out of it.

Personally, I find this to be a more satisfying place to leave the Breaking Bad story/better "final episode" than "Felina" as well (which, along with "Granite State", already felt like an epilogue following "Ozymandias".)

I loved it, and I'll continue to watch anything Vince Gilligan does with this little universe. It's all of such a consistent and gripping quality.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The aging is admittedly distracting but eh what're ya gonna do?

I need to watch it all again already!

I teared up numerous times, even watching the fucking show recap at the very start.

I love BB so damn much and I loved this movie.

I honestly somehow still want more.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
To those not yet aware, it is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of Robert Forster. I just found out myself a few minutes ago, and I'm truly shocked. Mr. Forster was undoubtedly one of the best parts of Jackie Brown in his role as Max Cherry, and was highly regarded as one of most interesting, cool, talked about side characters on Breaking Bad, playing the role of Ed the Disappearer. May he rest in peace.

robert-forster.jpg

.....wait...what?

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Jesse had a hundred of opportunities to kill Meth Damon. I would have definitely tried something lol. Good movie

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While they are somewhat synonymous I really wish conversation regarding minor follow-ups would be discussed more as denouements over epilogues.

The former would be far more accurate as a drop in action following a climax.
While the terms can technically be used synonymously, in film/television typically we only use "denouement" when we're talking about the very short resolution of a story after the climax has occurred -- usually this is under 10 minutes long. When we're talking about something that is 2 hours long and a story on its own, that is more typically called an epilogue. And in this particular case, it could be argued El Camino is an epilogue to an epilogue (Granite State + Felina).

If this were the actual finale of the tv series people would be soooo fucking outrage.

Useless filler
They really wouldn't be. Also, people already think of the actual finale as not the actual finale, because it sort of isn't. The finale was Walt's epilogue. This was Jessie's. That's okay.

This is far from "useless filler". There's nothing to fill, there's no next part. I mean, maybe eventually there will be, but for now this is the end. And I think it's a pretty good place to leave the character of Jessie.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
While the terms can technically be used synonymously, in film/television typically we only use "denouement" when we're talking about the very short resolution of a story after the climax has occurred -- usually this is under 10 minutes long. When we're talking about something that is 2 hours long and a story on its own, that is more typically called an epilogue.

I would often agree if discussing a work that fits into more "traditional" storytelling parameters, ala stage theatre and film, where 10 minutes can wrap up 2-3 hours of story following the climax.

But in an age of serialized television those lengths become elongated. Breaking Bad itself represents close to 50 hours of storytelling, and now has Saul eventually doing another 30. In that sense, a longer denouement fits for me, and I'd absolutely place Granite State and Felina within that same rubric.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would often agree if discussing a work that fits into more "traditional" storytelling parameters, ala stage theatre and film, where 10 minutes can wrap up 2-3 hours of story following the climax.

But in an age of serialized television those lengths become elongated. Breaking Bad itself represents close to 50 hours of storytelling, and now has Saul eventually doing another 30. In that sense, a longer denouement fits for me, and I'd absolutely place Granite State and Felina within that same rubric.
Better Call Saul is a spin-off prequel, so that operates a bit differently. Its few sequel, uh, sequences I am not really sure how to classify yet until we see the entire thing I suppose.

Anyways, for both Granite State + Felina, as well as El Camino, I would still stick with referring to them as Epilogues because they do have their own beginnings, middles, and ends, with their own climaxes as well.

For a TV version of a denouement, I'd look more at something like the second half of the Justified finale (if you're familiar with that show). Basically, it's all character resolution and follow up to the events of the finale without actually introducing new complications/obstacles for characters to overcome and goals for them to achieve (and thus creating more story to tell) like Granite State + Felina or El Camino. That's the key difference for me.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Better Call Saul is a spin-off prequel, so that operates a bit differently. Its few sequel, uh, sequences I am not really sure how to classify yet until we see the entire thing I suppose.

Anyways, for both Granite State + Felina, as well as El Camino, I would still stick with referring to them as Epilogues because they do have their own beginnings, middles, and ends, with their own climaxes as well.

For a TV version of a denouement, I'd look more at something like the second half of the Justified finale (if you're familiar with that show). Basically, it's all character resolution and follow up to the events of the finale without actually introducing new complications/obstacles for characters to overcome and goals for them to achieve (and thus creating more story to tell) like Granite State + Felina or El Camino. That's the key difference for me.

That strikes me as very reasonable, especially the point that they operate as full stories on their own.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

BCS has dozens of hours to tell an original story while El Camino is meant to be just an appendum to an equally long tale. That's not comparable at all.
It's a sendoff for a character we already invested 40+ hours in so it would be very off to cramp some completely new original story for this character just in a standard movie length and structure.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I like how it sort of feels like they're having multiple swings at the BB saga finale between this, the show's actual finale, and the eventual BCS finale. And then I guess there could be a Rhea Netflix spinoff!

Wait, for real??? A show about Kim Wexler is possible? I fucking love that character.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Some of the takes in this thread, lol. "Useless filler" for an epilogue story had me in stitches.

It was great, I loved it was low key, and not a revenge story at all. It was clear that Jesse has changed in captivity, and he pretty much did everything to avoid having to cause further harm to pretty much anyone.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
While I did enjoy it, I can't shake the feeling that this is a completely pointless movie. It just exists to answer the question "What happened to Jesse?", which is a question I personally never really had. The way his story ended was perfect as is and didn't need a two hour epilogue.

Opinions differ of course, but for me most of felt like empty fanservice. Pretty looking and well acted fanservice, but fanservice nonetheless.

EDIT: Reading up on the discussion of the last pages... seriously? No need to berate people for thinking this is a mostly useless addition to the Breaking Bad story. That's their opinion. If you don't agree, fine, but some of the reactions here are frankly pretty embarrassing.

Last edited:

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think I know the story some were wanting.

So Jesse crashes through the gate and is immediately in a high speed chase with police. There is an awkward flashback scene to Walt talking to him about a chemical reaction that would cause his car to go to an amazing speed, which he uses to outrun the police. "Yeah science!" Remember yeah science?

Then he speeds into the White residence and picks up Skylar, Marie, and Walter Jr. because he has heard while in captivity that Gustavo Fring has a sister who is even more evil. She is running a Burger joint that serves as a cover for the largest cocaine distribution network in the southwest. It is called Las Hamburguesas Hermanas. No doubt she has heard about Walt's role in her brother's death and wants revenge on Jesse because they were partners or something.

Walter Jr. (now portrayed by a completely different actor) is now a high school chemistry teacher and has inherited his father's genius. He and Jesse scheme up super-sciency ways to escape the drug cartels and the police. He still needs his breakfast though. Remember breakfast?

Marie meanwhile is grieving for her late husband by returning to her shoplifting ways, which proves to be invaluable as the road trip commences. She steals precious diamonds, rubies, and emeralds because she falsely remembers that Hank liked rocks. Remember minerals?

Finally, Skylar nags everyone about their spending and crime-committing to keep the group on track. No one likes her very much.

This nostalgic and suspenseful road trip full of close calls and scientific hijinks culminates in a standoff with police AND cartel.

Just as we're sure that our heroes are finished, in steps Walter White! His cancer destroyed the bullets! Now he is back and makes short work of his opposition on both sides of the law.

The group's relief turns to terror as Walt's latest triumph has made him more manipulative and selfish than ever.

And so the cycle begins anew.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
While I did enjoy it, I can't shake the feeling that this is a completely pointless movie. It just exists to answer the question "What happened to Jesse?", which is a question I personally never really had. The way his story ended was perfect as is and didn't need a two hour epilogue.

Opinions differ of course, but for me most of felt like empty fanservice. Pretty looking and well acted fanservice, but fanservice nonetheless.

EDIT: Reading up on the discussion of the last pages... seriously? No need to berate people for thinking this is a mostly useless addition to the Breaking Bad story. That's their opinion. If you don't agree, fine, but some of the reactions here are frankly pretty embarrassing.

I think people are more responding to the "Why does this exist?" crowd.

The fact that so many people like it should already answer that question.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The scenes with Jesse, Badger and Skinny Pete was as good as anything Breaking Bad ever did, I welled up at least three times, it was beautiful and felt so sincere.

The scenes with Walt, Mike, Todd and Jane were also really well done and helped add to giving the journey more depth.

So glad Vince decided to do this and wouldn't mind seeing another spin off from the BB world.

Skinny Pete and Badger deserve their own show, totally the MVPs in El Camino.

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
I really liked this movie. It captures everything about what Breaking Bad was, without leaning on Walt as the main character as we would have thought of as "mandatory" not so long ago.

My only real complain is Todd and the obvious age difference of the actor almost 10 years later, but apart of not really having him as an integral part of the story, you could't have done anything else.

If this was a videogame, I would think of it as an Epilogue DLC, expanding what we already knew about the ending without altering the essence of it.

I honestly somehow still want more.

I know buddy, we all do :(

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The only thing i can say is that it's a solid movie, very solid movie
It's not a masterpiece, but it's frankly okay. It fully closes the story for every character basically
I still want more, can't wait for BCS Season 5

Jeez Meth Damon gained a lot of weight

surprised jesse only wrote a letter to
brock and not jake + his parents.
jesse despises his parents and cares for Jake, but you know, that's still a fucked up brootherhood

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That was pretty cool, but it felt just like an extended episode of BB, not really much of a movie. Still nice to have it and get some closure.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It dragged in places but overall I enjoyed it. Todd dragged on in particular and it was quite distracting how different he looked than in the show, he's put on a lot of weight maybe I think?

It was beautifully shot though as always and the writing was great. It just felt a bit flat I suppose.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the takes in this thread, lol. "Useless filler" for an epilogue story had me in stitches.

It was great, I loved it was low key, and not a revenge story at all. It was clear that Jesse has changed in captivity, and he pretty much did everything to avoid having to cause further harm to pretty much anyone.
he killed the nazis and went out if the way to blow up their house

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I fully agree, thought the whole movie felt redundant. A lot of scenes were unnecessarily draw out too, almost felt like filler. Very strange.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finished it. It was nice to have more BB, but I didn't like the ending. Before I get into why, yes Fat Damon is distracting. However, Jesse Plemons probably had zero prep time for the role. Vince made it sound like the whole thing from conception to shooting happened very quickly. So obviously he wouldn't have been able to slim down enough in time.

Why I didn't like it? It's the same reason BB's ending is just good and not revolutionary, except here I think it teters even further off from good.

BB's ending was too "neat." Walt was able to tie up every loose end, execute his plan perfectly, admit the reality of his actions to his wife, and then go out on his own terms. It's all just too clean and neat. You then compare it to something like The Wire's ending (yes, they are two different shows) and it's night and day. It's why many feel like Ozymandias is the true ending to BB, because the real finale dips too hard into fan fulfillment. It doesn't help speak to a larger theme, but just wraps things up expectedly. Again, it's not terrible. Nothing is wrong with how things ultimately play out, but it feels "wrong" on a thematic level. It doesn't try and push new ground, but go in for a nice safe landing.

El Camino is like that for Jesse, except for me it's even worse. To start, I've never been one to fall for the Jesse sympathy angle. Yes, by the end of the series he's suffered some truly heinous shit, but Jesse wasn't some child or a lost puppy. Jesse was a grown man who made every decision by himself. He straight up tells his parents in the finale that it wasn't their fault, they tried all they could. So, Jesse's choices biting him in the ass is fair comeuppance. There's a reason why Michael Corleone ends The Godfather trilogy a lonely old man, loved by no one, who dies alone. Scorsese always glamorizes the gangster lifestyle before bringing all his characters low, you can't play the game and come out on top, eventually there is a reckoning.

In El Camino, Jesse is able to tie up all his loose ends, say goodbye to his friends, say goodbye to his parents, and screw off to a new life in Alaska. However, this isn't truly punishment in the Henry Hill type where he resents being turned into a regular nobody, Jesse desires a nice and quiet life. And, he's got plenty of illicit drug money to last him in his new lifestyle. But again, while what Jesse suffered at the hands of Todd and Co. was terrible, Jesse was still ultimately a mega drug dealer and murderer. He killed people. He sold meth in massive quantities. He lied. He cheated. He stole. And innocent bystanders, people he supposedly cared for, suffered because of his actions. Brock will forever grow up without a mom because of Jesse. What's his consolation? A nice letter?

Jesse needed to actually face the consequences of his actions, at the very least Walt died in the end. Yet, Jesse by the end gets a clean slate. The emotional scars remain, but that's personal it has nothing to do with society's right to judge his actions. People are dead because of Jesse. Meth flooded into the streets. Yet, he gets to live a nice and quiet life in Alaska? That's just okay? To me it just feels wrong.

Near the middle of the film, I thought what was going to happen is that we'd see Jesse finally "Break Bad" and then face the consequences of that choice in the end. By "break bad," I mean commit wrongful acts, such as murdering a cop to get away, without being able to justify his actions by saying Walt made him do it. Jesse was all alone now, the spectre of Walt removed as a convenient blame for any and all his actions. I was hoping Jesse would not have to finally take responsibility for his actions from that point forward. But, the film isn't really geared towards that. Instead, it's more concerned with giving Jesse a nice, safe landing and a pleasant ending.

And, that is why I can't respect it.

I couldn't write better. I agree 101%. Especially about the final episode, Felina.

The movie not only had the same "clean" aspect but it was also super boring. Cranston was the reason we watched BB, not Jesse.