• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
What's bugging me right now is why exactly it takes so long for Zero and Azure if the translation is pretty much already completed. Waiting for Reverie in 2023 is just... A lot, the game came out last year in Japan, a 3 year localisation process is just too much (though it's understandable since it's not like Nisa works just for Falcom). But I'm happy knowing we'll get Switch versions for all of them

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
Excited but why so long?

Guess we'll play Kuro in 2025 then?

Edit: on a hindsight, maybe it's better for them to take that long so they don't do the same thing like trails in the sky. Or maybe these projects doesn't generates that much money so they have to be very careful with their resources or budget?

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
They are going to release a PS4 game in 2025? The PS5 is compatible but still. By 2025 there will be a Kuro trilogy for PS5 in Japan.

Killah

Jan 21, 2018
Japan will probably be on Kuro 3 at that point though lol. I don't think being completely caught up is possible for this series.
I don't think they'll be at Kuro 3, next year will probably be a new Ys for the 35th anniversary and 2023 will be Kuro 2 or whatever is next. Besides Kuro coming west late 2023 isn't out the window either.

The FuzzPig

Oct 31, 2017
Great news! I'm especially glad to see it's for switch as well!
I played the zero translation when it was released and it was great, and zero ended up being my favourite game in the series.
I was two impatient to wait for the azure translation so I played the older one, which was interesting.... so this will be a good chance to play it again.
And for anyone worried that cold steel spoils the crossbell games, I wouldn't worry, I found that there was still plenty of surprises.
If anything azure spoils cold steel 1 and 2 more.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
Been waiting for Zero and Ao for so long, held off on playing Tits the Third and Cold Steel. Can't wait.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
The Crossbell games may be good but at this point it's not mandatory to play them if I finished the CS games, right? Plus I'm fed up with Crossbell city.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Crossbell games may be good but at this point it's not mandatory to play them if I finished the CS games, right? Plus I'm fed up with Crossbell city.
Reverie is meant to bring an Epilogue to their arc too, even though I guess you've already seen the continuation of that arc in CS3/4.
Plus, Reverie is about Crossbell City too.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Phew, there was some Gematsu article that mistakenly only mentioned EGS earlier so for a second there I thought Zero/Azure really were going to be EGS exclusives.

I've been trying to replay Zero and Ao with the new and improved Geofront translations, but I feel like the extremely bad taste CS3 and 4 left in my mouth is preventing me from really getting into them. I think I'll wait for the official releases after all. The wait for Reverie won't be so long then either, though I'm still undecided if I'll actually play it - read some story spoilers that have made me go "fuuuuuck this" so hard and I'm extremely over the CS battle system at this point.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yoooo what? Zero and Azure are based on Geofront localization? Props to Nisa for having managed to find a deal with all of the people that were concerned, I can imagine it was difficult to strike a deal. These type of deals are so rare in the industry that's great to see it.
Now I hope they will do the same for the eventual Gagharv trilogy modern port. 👀

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make sense to me lol why would Nayuta be dubbed but not Crossbell?? I would imagine Nayuta is even more niche. Plus we already have ENG voices for the Lloyd and his crew.
Nayuta is a smaller game with very little voice acting. I assume dubbing old games as dialogue-heavy as Zero and Azure is way outside their budget.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
youre right, sorry about that!

This doesn't make sense to me lol why would Nayuta be dubbed but not Crossbell?? I would imagine Nayuta is even more niche. Plus we already have ENG voices for the Lloyd and his crew.
Because most of the main scenario dialogue is voiced in the kai versions of Crossbell while Nayuta barely has any voiceacting. Comparing them is silly, the Crossbell games would be expensive af to dub.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That one year gap from Zero to Azure would hurt. Well, it's probably late 2022 and early 2023, but who knows.

It's probably like October 2022 for Zero
March 2023 for Azure
June 2023 for Nayuta
September 2023 for
youre right, sorry about that!

Nayuta has like 1/5 of the script as either Crossbell game. I imagine it was a time and money thing, if zero/azure are the kai versions, to fully dub them would probably push all these projects back another 3-6 months and made them a lot more expensive to produce.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Are these localizations, remasters, new games? I just see 4 games get announcements with release dates less than a year apart 🤣

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Are these localizations, remasters, new games? I just see 4 games get announcements with release dates less than a year apart 🤣

All 4 are new for the west, zero and azure did have high quality fan translations from the geofront team of their original psp release, but no official release before now.

The versions of Nayuta, Zero, and Azure we are getting are the ps4 remaster versions of psp games. These versions added some new content to all 3 games. Nayuta is a spin off, Zero and Azure are the 4th and 5th game in the trails series.

Reverie was a ps4 game and the 10th title in the trails series.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
So is it confirmed they're not having Geofront do a brand new localization of either game? They're just doing a revision of what was in the patches?

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Curious as to how much Azure and Zero will cost considering there's not even an English dub for these games .

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting the Cold Steel games on PS4 (only need find the fourth game) but I'm 100% sure to get the Crossbell games on Switch <3

What a nice surprise to wake up.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Yes we have to wait until 2023 for Hajimari/Azure/Nayuta but... it just struck me that all of those are coming out in one year. That's going to be crazy!

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yes we have to wait until 2023 for Hajimari/Azure/Nayuta but... it just struck me that all of those are coming out in one year. That's going to be crazy!
I admit I was upset yesterday seeing how far away these titles are. But getting 4 Trails games within about a year or so is actually quite amazing. I hope Kuro is fast tracked and it becomes a 2024 title instead of 2025.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
SO if they're using existing / complete translations for some of these, why are they taking so long?

Oct 25, 2017
I can only assume, without basis, that Labyrinth of Galleria is a Spring 2022 title, and Monark is a summer title, or vice versa? I don't know how much the publishing and localization resources overlap. I'm also curious whether there is a talent drain in the game localization community due to COVID-- not the delay due to WFH transitions, but whether people in that community left more other domains of localization work with better working conditions or compensation combined with any potential educational delays (fewer students graduating, fewer people coming back from doing teaching/education stuff in Japan, etc.). There's some real chance that localizations become a bit more costly or slower or selective over the course of the next 1~3 years.

I really don't know what I'm talking about here, but what fraction of JP->ENG localizers do study abroad or education programs in Japan before entering the game localization industry? I'd imagine it is a decent chunk?

SO if they're using existing / complete translations for some of these, why are they taking so long?

They aren't just using the complete translations. It is the basis, but not the copy. And those were for a different version of the game so there's still all of the editing/insertion, porting of the product to multiple other platforms (I think Hajimari and Nayuta are on new platforms?), and NISA having their own slate of games to publish. Galleria came out 7 months ago and we haven't heard a word, Disgaea 6 still isn't out so that overlapped, and they signed for Monark, along who knows how many other smaller games.