9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Please let all of these come to the Switch, day and date with the others

They're already on Switch but I think NISA would do their own ports through Engine, supposed to be much cheaper than localizing Japanese ports. All Cold Steel Switch localizations are different ports than Japanese versions.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Wow people are entitled as fuck, Falcom/NISA are commiting to localizing 3 massive JRPGs in the next 2 years (and Nayuta) and instead of people celebrating that the whole saga will finally be available in English from official channels, people are complaining they have to wait. Even as much as yesterday people were wondering if we'd get more then Reverie, and now we have confirmation EVERYTHING is coming West. This is easily the most exciting day for western Trails fans, and instead people are whining.

This seems like an unnecessarily hostile response to a handful of people posting very tame messages about how disappointed they are that they have to wait so long for the next new game in a series that they are probably very much into. Like, of course people think things that affect them negatively suck, that's what people do. It's not entitlement, or better yet, fucking peak entitlement. People are allowed to feel disappoointment. Give me a break.

I don't think it makes somebody entitled to express disappointment about the bad news alongside joy for the good news.

Exactly! I hate this absurdly black-and-white thinking that you're somehow in the wrong if you're feeling bad about the bad news when there are also good news. Like some weird toxic positivity shit.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Geofont getting paid by Epic for a fan project like

tenor.gif

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there has to be some kinda EGS showcase coming soon, right? these recent leaks have to be officially announced somewhere.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Geofont getting paid by Epic for a fan project like

tenor.gif

The Geofront localizations come with all sorts of tricky legal Barriers(tm) that would be a challenge to get over, due to the large amount of contributors and nobody knowing exactly what lines "belong" to whom. There's ways around them, but it'd be a challenge. I do remember Scott from Geofront stating he'd love being part of an official project. If none of the usual spokespeople for the Geofront tweet about this news between now and that Falcom/NISA conference, I'm going to assume a deal of sorts was reached.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
2023? Jesus that's an eternity. With the way Falcom puts these games out, this is kind of assuring everyone outside of Japan will remain years behind.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
but don't you need Cold Steel and Zero/Azure background to play this? I played only until ToCS2 and couldn't force myself to pick up the 3rd one.

Hajimari/Reverie pretty much serves as a conclusion to both the Erebonia and Crossbell arcs, so yeah, playing that game without the previous 6 would be like playing 3rd without FC and SC.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
but don't you need Cold Steel and Zero/Azure background to play this? I played only until ToCS2 and couldn't force myself to pick up the 3rd one.
Yes, it's the conclusion to effectively part 1 of the entire saga
there has to be some kinda EGS showcase coming soon, right? these recent leaks have to be officially announced somewhere.
There's been sources confirming simul-release for consoles as well. This isn't going to be EGS exclusive, that's just what leaked

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Hajimari dropping in 2023 is longer than I expected. Isn't the game's script significantly shorter than the mainline CS games?

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Hajimari dropping in 2023 is longer than I expected. Isn't the game's script significantly shorter than the mainline CS games?

The assumption is that this is NISA trying to go with the least bad option of solving the Crossbell Problem. Since Hajimari acts as the conclusion of two games that never got official western releases, they try to release those two games first.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
*insert star wars meme*

hajimari coming out in 2023 means the localization is going to be good, right?

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
The assumption is that this is NISA trying to go with the least bad option of solving the Crossbell Problem. Since Hajimari acts as the conclusion of two games that never got official western releases, they try to release those two games first.

At this point the damage is done, no? CS3-4 already lean on Zero/Ao hard, even if they are not the "direct sequel" like Hajimari is. It's a bit strange to leave your most dedicated fanbase hanging for another two years. There are people on /r/falcom (me included) who hoped that 2023 will be the year of Kuro. At this rate we'll get it in 2025 :P

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Well, we're not solving the 2+ year gap for localization gap problem any time soon, but at least the Crossbell issue will be solved, that's a plus. As long as the games keep coming I've made my peace with the wait.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

there's not really a better chance for the crossbell games to officially come over either anymore. ideally it would have happened on the vita concurrently with cold steel, or at least before cold steel iv started bringing people in that you're really supposed to know. with hajimari wrapping everything up, it's probably the best case for both crossbell and hajimari that it happens this way.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Kuro releasing in 2024 in the west is a mistake. It doesn't personally affect me that much but I really think releasing an already niche game on a 3 year old console is a mistake. And then there's gonna be a Kuro 2 that requires people to have played Kuro a year later…

I honestly think they should have just ate the sunk cost on not translating Crossbell (unless they really did buy Geofront, in which case I don't think it should have factored into the mainline release timeline). Reverie is probably the last game where those characters and plot elements are going to be super important (and they already released 2 in the popular Cold Steel arc without even a short English video explaining Crossbell).

I'm totally sympathetic to avoiding crunch and realistic timelines for the English translation team, but I also believe there are Falcon management level decisions that would allow for smaller gaps between releases. For example, I'm pretty sure that English translation work only begins pretty late in the development cycle (it's definitely after the JP script has gone gold), well after the Chinese translation that is often able to come out much closer to release. For some reason it just doesn't seem like management is that interested in sensibly releasing these games in the west, despite the fact that all things considered it's built up a niche but dedicated fanbase.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
It's time to double up on the Japanese lessons. edit: I will still buy everything Kiseki that's released in the West, to support the series.

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow people are entitled as fuck, Falcom/NISA are commiting to localizing 3 massive JRPGs in the next 2 years (and Nayuta) and instead of people celebrating that the whole saga will finally be available in English from official channels, people are complaining they have to wait. Even as much as yesterday people were wondering if we'd get more then Reverie, and now we have confirmation EVERYTHING is coming West. This is easily the most exciting day for western Trails fans, and instead people are whining.

Have to agree, this thread reads pretty gross. Like I get the wait sucks but you'd think there'd be at least some acknowledgement of the work Nisa's putting in here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Kuro releasing in 2024 in the west is a mistake. It doesn't personally affect me that much but I really think releasing an already niche game on a 3 year old console is a mistake. And then there's gonna be a Kuro 2 that requires people to have played Kuro a year later…

I honestly think they should have just ate the sunk cost on not translating Crossbell (unless they really did buy Geofront, in which case I don't think it should have factored into the mainline release timeline). Reverie is probably the last game where those characters and plot elements are going to be super important (and they already released 2 in the popular Cold Steel arc without even a short English video explaining Crossbell).

I'm totally sympathetic to avoiding crunch and realistic timelines for the English translation team, but I also believe there are Falcon management level decisions that would allow for smaller gaps between releases. For example, I'm pretty sure that English translation work only begins pretty late in the development cycle (it's definitely after the JP script has gone gold), well after the Chinese translation that is often able to come out much closer to release. For some reason it just doesn't seem like management is that interested in sensibly releasing these games in the west, despite the fact that all things considered it's built up a niche but dedicated fanbase.

Cold Steel 1-2 launched on PS3 well into the life on the PS4. Kuro launching well into the life on the PS5 isn't an issue. Also we already have confirmation that Liberal, Crossbell, and Erebonia characters are in Kuro, odds are people are going to want/need to know who they are by the end of Kuro.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At this point the damage is done, no? CS3-4 already lean on Zero/Ao hard, even if they are not the "direct sequel" like Hajimari is. It's a bit strange to leave your most dedicated fanbase hanging for another two years. There are people on /r/falcom (me included) who hoped that 2023 will be the year of Kuro. At this rate we'll get it in 2025 :P
It's still the same in the end, yar? Even if they released Reverie first, Kuro would still need to wait for Zero and Azure anyway. The more they wait on releasing those two, the worse their position would be.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Falcom is primarily(almost exclusively) concerned with getting their one Japanese release out a year, and only on the one console(though I suspect they'll do PS4/PS5 next year). Everything else, whether it is English language releases or PC/Switch releases are secondary, and pushed onto to the companies that license their games.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Falcom is primarily(almost exclusively) concerned with getting their one Japanese release out a year, and only on the one console(though I suspect they'll do PS4/PS5 next year). Everything else, whether it is English language releases or PC/Switch releases are secondary, and pushed onto to the companies that license their games.
That's not the point. Falcom has a history of not caring when it comes to the western market, not allowing any potential localization effort to even be considered until well after their games release. Meanwhile all the other Asian markets get simul-releases in multiple languages together with the Japanese market because they're allowed to be involved in the dev process from the beginning.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If Zero and Azure are Epic exclusives in the west, it would be the first time it happens to a game already available on Steam in other regions, no? Feels weird imo.

I'm freaking angry about hajimari being in 2023... My guess is they'll say : "we want people to play zero and ao before playing hajimari"...

which is a bit too late, you released CS3 and CS4 without caring about that... it's great zero ao and nayuta are being released, but hajimari should have been a priority

i'm really fucking annoyed right now for real... i thought it would be 2022 at the latest... we were so close to the japan release and now it's all behind again

Trails tends to release first on Sony consoles so Hajimari could release in 2022 for PS4 and 2023 for pc.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
That's not the point. Falcom has a history of not caring when it comes to the western market, not allowing any potential localization effort to even be considered until well after their games release. Meanwhile all the other Asian markets get simul-releases in multiple languages together with the Japanese market because they're allowed to be involved in the dev process from the beginning.

Only because their publishing partner is Sony, who also owns the platform.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
If Zero and Azure are Epic exclusives in the west, it would be the first time it happens to a game already available on Steam in other regions, no? Feels weird imo.

Trails tends to release first on Sony consoles so Hajimari could release in 2022 for PS4 and 2023 for pc.
They're simulreleasing pc+console in 2023.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I guess that's true.
Only because their publishing partner is Sony, who also owns the platform.

That's not the case any more, the people that were at Sony left and formed Clouded Leopard Entertainment who are Falcom's new partner in Asia. They were also very proactive in getting PC and Switch ports of all the games produced.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Comparing the CLE ports to Falcom is a bit unfair

They don't have dubs( albeit zero and ao won't, but haji will) and their "localizations" are a lot more literal than what we get

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Crossposting from the community thread

Has anyone from the geofront team commented on this leak? I would assume they're probably gonna yeet their translation from the internet sometime today.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
This is all good news, assuming everything comes to Steam eventually. I want to be able to see all my Trails in one place.

2023 for Hajimari is rough, but I'm just glad it's confirmed.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed, my post was to say that the biggest issue with getting these games over in a timely manner is not having the translators work more hours (I would rather get the games in 2025 if the alternative was the type of crunch the Sky translators went through) but simply that Falcom doesn't prioritize it or invest in it - which is something I'm very comfortable expressing frustration about.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Agreed, my post was to say that the biggest issue with getting these games over in a timely manner is not having the translators work more hours (I would rather get the games in 2025 if the alternative was the type of crunch the Sky translators went through) but simply that Falcom doesn't prioritize it or invest in it - which is something I'm very comfortable expressing frustration about.

I wish we could get these games going forward day and date with Japan as well. I still think in a decade when we look back this tactical strike to plug the Crossbell gap is going to pay dividends more then cutting bait and trying to get closer to the Japanese releases.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, can't really blame NISA on this one.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
It's very cool that we're finally getting official localisations off the Crossbell titles - there was no elegant way to resolve "the crossbell problem", but I think this might be the best we can manage. Nayuta getting brought over is a nice surprise too. The dates are a little jarring, sure. but after reading the kind of hell that occurred during the Sky SC localisation, I'm not too upset at them taking their time. It's a bit sad for the series, considering it has gained some real momentum over the past couple of years, but I'm sure it'll survive - Falcom fans are nothing if not dedicated.

My main concern after all of this is the Geofront guys - what's gonna happen regarding their fan translation? They put a lot of heart into it, so it'd be a shame to see it wiped from the internet. Nobody involved seems to have said anything yet, but part of me is hoping NISA did the smart thing and came to some kind of deal with them - they were clever enough to get some of the old XSEED folks to help on CS3, after all.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
I wish we could get these games going forward day and date with Japan as well. I still think in a decade when we look back this tactical strike to plug the Crossbell gap is going to pay dividends more then cutting bait and trying to get closer to the Japanese releases.
Yeah that's fair. I'm personally less convinced on the Crossbell thing - I feel like the time to localize them was in between Cold Steel 2 and 3 at the latest. The sense I've gotten from interviews and prerelease material is that with Kuro we're moving onto a new "phase" of Trails and that the Crossbell and Cold Steel characters will play a similar role to the Sky characters in Crossbell and Cold Steel where they're significant but you will still be able to follow the mainline plot without being familiar with them.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be the first time a fan translation for a Falcom game was bought in order to speed up localization I'm all for it

It's very cool that we're finally getting official localisations off the Crossbell titles - there was no elegant way to resolve "the crossbell problem", but I think this might be the best we can manage. Nayuta getting brought over is a nice surprise too. The dates are a little jarring, sure. but after reading the kind of hell that occurred during the Sky SC localisation, I'm not too upset at them taking their time. It's a bit sad for the series, considering it has gained some real momentum over the past couple of years, but I'm sure it'll survive - Falcom fans are nothing if not dedicated.

My main concern after all of this is the Geofront guys - what's gonna happen regarding their fan translation? They put a lot of heart into it, so it'd be a shame to see it wiped from the internet. Nobody involved seems to have said anything yet, but part of me is hoping NISA did the smart thing and came to some kind of deal with them - they were clever enough to get some of the old XSEED folks to help on CS3, after all.
they got to release both of thwir projects and of Zero/Azure really isn't coming until '23 the presence of the fantranslation will still have a purpose for a while, though anybody interested should probably head to Geofront immediately.