Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
"As for Shenmue's erm, unique controls, Suzuki is keen to retain the feel of the original games, but with some degree of modernisation. "It basically carries over the control scheme from Shenmue II, but analogue-stick camera operation, as often seen in modern games, is supported", he says.
OK, that's not so bad. Basically implies dual analog. I am kinda wondering why we haven't seen gameplay yet. I think this is getting delayed. And yes I know gameplay is coming in March.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
* Because Ryo is a city boy
I never thought Dobuita was considered a city. He also literally lives in a traditional Dojo.
* Combat system looks much smoother and is more RPG based, not just learning skills by repeating moves over and over
I was worried by this,
* Training is done through mini-games, Horse Stance, One inch Punch and more, mostly rhythm based but satisfying to pull off
But then I saw this.
I actually liked the training part even if repetitive, I hope the mini-games are not too "gamey".
* Capsule toys are back
Surprised to see capsule toys in the chinese country, but I ain't complaining.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Shenmue III sort of splits the difference. The first major location of the game is more intimate and in-line with the original Shenmue's cosy hometown feel, the second is a larger and more anonymous space not unlike Shenmue II's Hong Kong.

Sounds like a good enough compromise to me. Still just happy this game exists in the first place.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
It's a tough situation because how much is that Shenmue's detail really going to matter in 2019? Being able to rifle through people's drawers and get different dialogue options depending on the time of day will not have the same novelty or intrigue factor that it did twenty years ago. Unique NPCs with scheduling routines are not something to get that excited over anymore.

At some level the original's formula needs to be expanded.
Speak for yourself, I am excited as hell.
NPCs with true schedules have been missing since Majora's Mask, and being able to lose yourself in the details of the world (like grabbing stuff and turning your hand to see it from various angles) is almost never heard of nowdays.

If you think like that, the game is not for you.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
OK, that's not so bad. Basically implies dual analog. I am kinda wondering why we haven't seen gameplay yet. I think this is getting delayed. And yes I know gameplay is coming in March.
Dual analogue is basically confirmed. There's been images of people playing the game with both thumbs on the sticks for a while now, not least Yu Suzuki himself in December:

426a5c5180030a4293c1ftcjec.jpg

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue is sort of like an immersive sim or the new Hitman levels where it's more like a very detailed and interactive neighbourhood than an open world, which is still fairly unique in 2019 honestly.

I never thought Dobuita was considered a city. He also literally lives in a traditional Dojo.

I mean sure, but he still has a Sega Saturn, rides the bus, and goes to the minimart. It's not a rural farm village.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
If anybody is wondering what "Horse Stance" is btw:

1*ht0atnE8Tno-SVP0KAaLwA.jpeg

Maybe without the teacups, but we'll see. We already know a pretty eccentric martial arts master is in the game, so I'm looking forward to some wackier training methods.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
EDGE is a good start, but we have to get Shenmue III on the cover of TV Guide.

51OwrBEHDfL._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Do they still make TV Guide?

drag00n18

Banned
Dec 7, 2018
I'm super excited. Everything sounds perfect. Looking forward to my PS4 kickstarter digital copy. If it ever comes to Xbox I'll buy it again.

darksniper

Sep 18, 2018
At first I thought Shenmue III being 100 GB was just a placeholder. Now I don't know. That could be for real lol. Can't wait to play this game!

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Sweet, I'll probably just grab a copy of this issue. Used to have a Edge subscription years ago, and then just let it lapse.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I assume when he brings up modern open worlds he means shit like Ubisoft who have incredibly huge worlds now with little substance to them and a lack of memorable landmarks. Playing the yakuza games has made me appreciate tighter more content rich areas.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
It's a shitpost, considering both the big ticket features in this article are new/revised gameplay mechanics to improve over the originals.
It's a fair point that we should probably prepare for a critical languishing from critics but honestly this Edge interview sounds like everything I wanted from the game. I stand by what I've said before, the best games this generation are the ones that feel like they're from last-gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley

Surprised to see capsule toys in the chinese country, but I ain't complaining.
Dobuita is part of Yokosuka, which is a city in central Japan. Remember that you have to walk out to the main street to take the bus and there are loads of buildings? Also, dojos can and do exist in cities.

I also don't get your surprise at seeing capsule toys in Chinese country. They aren't Amish, far as we know :P

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Suzuki stresses how important it is to make the game feel like a Shenmue game, modern games are more open world nowadays but he doesn't want to go that way because then it wouldn't be Shenmue
This is the line which hypes me up the most. Honestly I am so fed up of all modern open world games so I am glad Shenmue won't take the same route.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
It's a fair point that we should probably prepare for a critical languishing from critics but honestly this Edge interview sounds like everything I wanted from the game. I stand by what I've said before, the best games this generation are the ones that feel like they're from last-gen.
I'm not sure it is a fair point - if the point being made is that Ys Net are somehow sticking too closely to the original games.

It's absolutely not supported by the content of the article detailing some pretty fundamental changes to how investigation and combat work, and the fairly integral sounding training system is basically new from top to bottom. It's a weak argument from that poster. I have no idea what critics may or may not like about Shenmue III when it releases, but pretending like Ys Net aren't putting in the work to renovate the game design is bullshit.

EDIT: And because I know it'll get thrown back at me, "making it feel like Shenmue" doesn't mean slapping new graphics on old ideas and calling it a day. It is absolutely antithetical to how Yu Suzuki has approached making this game, constantly talking about the new ideas he wants to bring to the table for the series. Even in December he said the split between old and new had leveled off at about 50% each.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I'm not sure it is a fair point - if the point being made is that Ys Net are somehow sticking too closely to the original games.

It's absolutely not supported by the content of the article detailing some pretty fundamental changes to how investigation and combat work, and the fairly integral sounding training system is basically new from top to bottom. It's a weak argument from that poster. I have no idea what critics may or may not like about Shenmue III when it releases, but pretending like Ys Net aren't putting in the work to renovate the game design is bullshit.
Well, I didn't mean to imply that I agreed with their post. My wording was unclear, sorry. What I'm saying is that game critics are usually unkind to games that play like their decade+ old counterparts. Crackdown and KH both caught heat for it by some game critics but honestly, the updates they made to their respective games were really fun and well done (well, I can vouch for CD, I'll assume KH) and I think people are underselling how fun the systems in older games are. I just hope fans don't get in a tizzy when Gamespot or whoever slaps it with a 6.5.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Well, I didn't mean to imply that I agreed with their post. My wording was unclear, sorry. What I'm saying is that game critics are usually unkind to games that play like their decade+ old counterparts. Crackdown and KH both caught heat for it by some game critics but honestly, the updates they made to their respective games were really fun and well done (well, I can vouch for CD, I'll assume KH) and I think people are underselling how fun the systems in older games are. I just hope fans don't get in a tizzy when Gamespot or whoever slaps it with a 6.5.
No, I know. It's okay.

It's just I've read some posts (and I'm glad they're in the minority in this thread), and I just have to wonder if they read the article itself or know the original games intimately enough to make statements like that. I've played these games basically for 20 years, consumed every piece of information about this game voraciously for almost four years, and spent literally hours reading and re-reading the source article to write a spoiler-free summary; so I think I'm reasonably justified to call bullshit when I see downplaying of how different Ys Net are willing to make Shenmue III from predecessors.

Reviews will be what they'll be. Shenmue I & II got generally favourable reviews according to Metacritic, and those are pretty much the same games that came out in 1999 and 2001 respectively. I don't expect universal praise for Shenmue III, but at the same time I don't think the evidence is there to have a great gnawing fear about its reception.

Damn if Ryo face is baaad... his lips are the worst part, looks so mad in a wrong way.
Old asset. Like 2017 old. None of the screens in the magazine are recent either, the latest we can trace the build is from July 2018.

These are the new screens:

s3_magic_2019_02_two-4zjsk.jpg

dzxrv6mwwaavq-slbkxk.jpg

dzydc1ewwai2ovc9rk4n.jpg

dzzazstxcaa2dvk2zj1q.jpg

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
There's a big difference between games feeling a decade late and games with an expected mold but building upon and improving that mold. Crackdown is the former, Prey is a good example of the latter (System Shock but modernized), as are several popular modern CRPGs (Baldurs Gate but current) and games like Shadow Tactics (Commandos but modernized and a tad more accessible). Shenmue 3 sounds like the latter.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Controls are carried over from Shenmue II" is the last thing I wanted to read. Those controls needed more than just analog camera improvements. Ryo better move like a game from 2019 rather than from a pre-dual analog era or else because in the DC games, even in the HD Remaster, Ryo controled with the grace of a garbage truck.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
"Controls are carried over from Shenmue II" is the last thing I wanted to read. Those controls needed more than just analog camera improvements. Ryo better move like a game from 2019 rather than from a pre-dual analog era or else because in the DC games, even in the HD Remaster, Ryo controled with the grace of a garbage truck.
426a5c5180030a4293c1fxok12.jpg

Dual analogue controls have been basically confirmed for ages at this point. Quote probably refers more to the face button and trigger configs.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure, but he still has a Sega Saturn, rides the bus, and goes to the minimart. It's not a rural farm village.
A Sega Saturn in 1986 btw.

Has that been addressed by Suzuki or anyone from the team? I got on the Shenmue train very late, until after the HD Remaster, so I wasn't following before a few months back.

Ryo should've had a Sega Master System rather than a Saturn.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was just an Easter egg rather than trying to be historically accurate.

Suzuki's team had some experience working on the Saturn and some of his games were ported to it. I don't think he did much on the Mark III so that may have led to its omission as well.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trust me on this. It's not the only time we've seen people playing with dual sticks either.

03_dont-think-lets-plkejq1.jpg

That's mostly how I played Shenmue 1 and 2 on my PS4 two months ago. I'll trust you but these pictures don't tell me much since the HD Remaster (the first and only times I played these games) already had the camera on the right stick and Ryo still controller worse than a school bus trying to make a left turn.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Tears of joy...tears of joy...

4hBGm.gif

It sounds wonderful! The fact that Shenmue III is actually the cover story from a big magazine like EDGE is just...my brain can hardly process it. We've come so far. **wipes away tear**

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
A Sega Saturn in 1986 btw.

Has that been addressed by Suzuki or anyone from the team? I got on the Shenmue train very late, until after the HD Remaster, so I wasn't following before a few months back.

Ryo should've had a Sega Master System rather than a Saturn.

It's an easter egg. Shenmue started development on the Saturn.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
That's mostly how I played Shenmue 1 and 2 on my PS4 two months ago. I'll trust you but these pictures don't tell me much since the HD Remaster (the first and only times I played these games) already had the camera on the right stick and Ryo still controller worse than a school bus trying to make a left turn.
Goes without saying one was made with the scheme in mind, and the other was not.

You'll see eventually. I'm not basing it entirely on these photos, but it's the thing I can point to publicly.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
I haven't been online as much as I would like to, but I want to say how fucking excited I am for this game.

It's going to be joy.

That Kickstarter exclusive version better have the correct logo on it.

Shenmue-3-logo.jpg

Let the Millienials who can't read cursive keep their lesser, tragic font.
Also, yeah.
The decision to change it, despite overwhelming support on the original font is the only thing I hold against this game

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
everything about Shenmue games was designed to be an immersive experience through and through.... this is a VR game without the headset!
and i strongly believe the control scheme plays an important role to make the player feel more immersed.
like when i am trying to look into something i go to the first person view to focus on certain object to examine it and this how the eyes work and when i try to look around i am actually controlling the protagonist head not some "flying drone" and this is how a human being can explore the surroundings and the camera is always behind Ryo all the time feels more natural to move his body.... all of this make the player feel like he is transported into Ryo's physical body which maximizes overall feel of being immersed into the game.
of course the controls can benefits from a much more fluidity and analog movements but the very basis of the controls are well thought and it did serve the game's vision greatly.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
You could already rotate the camera 360 degrees in the original two games by holding down the B button and moving the D-pad left or right.
yeah but you rarely use this method and when you actually use it you would just want to adjust Ryo's direction a tiny bit specially in narrow places and you can't use it while exploring only when stand still.

Last edited:

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
Dobuita is part of Yokosuka, which is a city in central Japan. Remember that you have to walk out to the main street to take the bus and there are loads of buildings? Also, dojos can and do exist in cities.

I also don't get your surprise at seeing capsule toys in Chinese country. They aren't Amish, far as we know :P
It felt more like a suburb, tho. Most people knew each other, and there weren't big buildings and large stores.
That is more similar to a small town than a city.
He lives in a traditional japanese wooden house from the middle ages, basically. Not really "city-like"

Chinese rural villages in the 80s with capsule toys? I'm not particularly keen in chinese history but I find that hard to believe.
They were trying to remove western influence and liberal ideas in that period after all.