• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
There is no excuse.

Sony killed it with marketing, marketshare and marketing deals and even when MS fixed the pricing it was way too late.
Sony had consoles in the holiday season with Destiny and Call of Duty Bundles, this mattered more than seeing Xbox One at 399$.

Objectively speaking, PS4 and Xbox had no exclusives to push sales until 2015 with Bloodborne and Halo Guardians, and in the meantime Sony was smart enough to secure all the marketing deals when they didn't have exclusives to add more value to their console.

To this day, Sony is still securing the biggest games because they know how important the marketing deals are to push PS4 even when they have big exclusives coming regularly.
I agree. So while consciously people may choose "price" as the biggest factor marketing is the actual answer.

Oct 27, 2017
This only mattered for what, 8 months out of 7 years? The Xbox priced matched before the next holiday season. What was the excuse then? I'm not convince digital foundry 900p vs 1080 was the. The tie breaker......
Mindshare is a thing you know. Due to price and marketing the PS4 became the de facto third party box in the west for the games media and people in general, much like the 360 last gen. Even when the prices were the same, "my friends all have a PS4, so I'm going to stay with them".

the console "war" was over after the initial launch sales in November and December dried up and people chose the cheaper option

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's why GamePass will be a deciding factor, you get so many games for a very low cost. Makes it easier to buy a new console.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
That's why GamePass will be a deciding factor, you get so many games for a very low cost. Makes it easier to buy a new console.

Game Pass also hurts Microsoft. In order to not fragment their subscription base, they have to make sure all of their upcoming games run on a vanilla Xbox One.

Meanwhile Sony can go all out with better looking games because PS5 isn't anchored to PS4.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This gen changed things. People are still playing Fortnite, GTA V, siege way more than other games. Having those carry over is important for people

I am just genuinely shocked about the general public not caring about exclusives...I mean I know it adds up when you see sales numbers for exclusives compared to the big triple AAA multi plats ...but I'm still a little surprised.

Oct 25, 2017
If exclusives didn't matter Nintendo would be in trouble...
I am just genuinely shocked about the general public not caring about exclusives...I mean I know it adds up when you see sales numbers for exclusives compared to the big triple AAA multi plats ...but I'm still a little surprised.

Sony's biggest exclusives games sell more than all but the biggest multiplats. If you limited many of those multiplats to one platform they would sell less than the exclusives.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, $399 PS5 would have obliterated anything else. A $100 mark up to $499 is a lot for mass market, not even talking about anything above as that is DOA.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

It always helps to remember that core gamer communities like Era do not represent the mainstream market. The biggest games in the world (like League of Legends or Fortnite) are almost irrelevant here.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd need a poll sample size of about 13 -15 million to be representative.

I'm not sure we can pull many conclusions from a 50K sample.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass also hurts Microsoft. In order to not fragment their subscription base, they have to make sure all of their upcoming games run on a vanilla Xbox One.

Meanwhile Sony can go all out with better looking games because PS5 isn't anchored to PS4.

We are talking about customers and they care for the best value and price, which clearly goes to Microsoft.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Funny that i voted for Exclusives and care about the price the least lmao

Then again the majority who are following Ed Boon are Mileena stans so what do they know.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
This would be relevant:
asset5.png

From: https://www.resetera.com/threads/study-claims-playstation-have-most-brand-loyal-fans.166522/

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I would have voted Games. But I'm in my thirties, working full time and gaming is one of my favorite hobbies. So, price is not a concern.

But in my opinion, the lead up to launch, marketing campaign and brand awareness are even more important, than anything on that list.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think PS4 sold over 100 million due to price alone and not great exclusive games? Or am I being an idiot here and missing the sarcasm?

A lot of the 100 million bought Horizon or God of War or Spider-Man after they bought the system for CoD, FIFA or Fortnite (and more importantly after a price drop compared to launch).

Price is without a doubt the most important factor for 80% of customers when deciding between two similar platforms when it comes to them being very close in hardware specs, services and exclusive content.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
You'd need a poll sample size of about 13 -15 million to be representative.

I'm not sure we can pull many conclusions from a 50K sample.
What the hell am I reading lol. Please look up how a representative sample size is calculated.

You are right that this sample may not be representative, but it's absolutely not because of its size. The selection bias inherent to polling folks who follow Ed Boon on Twitter will skew this sample towards the "hardcore" relative to the actual population.

But in terms of sample size, even a fraction of this sample would be enough to be representative of a 250 million buyer market.

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell am I reading lol. Please look up how a representative sample size is calculated.

You are right that this sample may not be representative, but it's absolutely not because of its size. The selection bias inherent to polling folks who follow Ed Boon on Twitter will skew this sample towards the "hardcore" relative to the actual population.

But in terms of sample size, even a fraction of this sample would be enough to be representative of a 250 million buyer market.
Yeah I'm not sure if that person knows how polling works. You absolutely don't need millions of results. You do need a wide arching bet and his followers may not be wise enough

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Enthusiast forums are definitely going to lean more toward factors like exclusives and maybe even compute capabilities. In my experience at retail selling games, it feels like most of the audience these days generally don't think about games on an enthusiast level — they like games and they invest time and money into them, but it's not something they see as a community or a passion — it's just a thing they do to have fun every once in a while.

Most consumers don't think about it that hard. They just want a current machine that runs current games, and generally aren't keen on things like performance metrics and the prestige of exclusives. Yes, there is some overlap in appreciation for those exclusives when they come along and they're great — they are a segment of that audience — but to them it's generally "that's a great game," and not "thank you Sony/Sony partner studio for getting projects like this off the ground and into my hands." If the big breakout enthusiast-loved game isn't on their platform, they probably aren't thinking about it with regret about their console of choice — the people who get upset about exclusives they can't play are usually some form of enthusiast and not part of the huge segment of console owners that don't really care to have a voice in enthusiast circles. It's just entertainment for them and not a passion, and that's fine. They might be willing to pick their console based on which friends they can play with, but most people just aim for the cheapest of the bunch, or the cheapest one that lets them play with their friends.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
"If we look at the charts price matters to these people—the more expensive the better!"

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Not sure this poll is really that indicative of anything. I mean yeah, price usually is most peoples major concern in like every other product on the planet.

It is even more narrow.

This poll is indicative on Ed Boon Fans and Mortal Kombat Fans.

A poll which has mostly Call of Duty fans participating and a poll which has mostly Gravity Rush Fans would have different results.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To a niche audience maybe. I dont buy for a second that many people give a shit about paying outdated games unless they're playing a fighting game that ain't available on the new system for a long ass time

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Poll results really aren't that surprising. The average gamer (not your one you'll find on an enthusiast forum) is probably most interested in playing GTA 6 on the cheapest next-gen system, grabbing the next FIFA game, playing COD with their friends (who likely all bought the cheapest console), and having access to the ecosystem they committed to in the previous gen.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Casuals play casual games which are vastly 3rd party and also make up the majority of the purchasers over time. Price matters most to those people since they can play the games they want on either console. Exclusives matter most to hard core games but ones like me, buy all consoles anyway and we are in the vast minority.

Oct 27, 2017
To a niche audience maybe. I dont buy for a second that many people give a shit about paying outdated games unless they're playing a fighting game that ain't available on the new system for a long ass time
Backwards compatible doesn't always mean 20 year old games. Minecraft gta, Fortnite are all older games that are going to be played well into next gen. Why would people want to buy GTA for a third time vs it being BC

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
First party and japanese support is my reason for sticking with Playstation. And this is not going to change anytime soon.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm just gonna say it: I don't believe that poll for a second. I don't believe people find playing old games more important than exclusives.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's true.

I bought a ps4 after thinking and saving.

I bought a Switch on a whim.

It's true that I was a student at the time of the ps4 launch, but I would seriously think about a €500+ purchase as opposed to something around €350 (hopefully).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
When everything else is more or less on parity the exclusives are essential - don't kid yourself. Especially for early adopter.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair the poll is useless when your wording is vague. I mean what does "affordable" mean? Sure it shows that price is very important but doesn't provide any valuable info other than that.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Let me put it this way: You're a dad shopping for christmas gifts at Walmart. You see a two 500 dollar consoles, three 300 dollar consoles, and one 200 dollar console. I'm willing to bet which ones you're not going to want to get.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatible doesn't always mean 20 year old games. Minecraft gta, Fortnite are all older games that are going to be played well into next gen. Why would people want to buy GTA for a third time vs it being BC

I dont disagree with that part. I also stand by that being a niche and not really a major concern for the larger majority. Take the CoD audience. They will buy the new one on the new system because it will undoubtedly launch on it.

GTAV, trust me if it wasnt literally a gen old they'd sell it again and people would buy it again. Fortnite is a f2p service game so youd not need to buy anything again anyway.

I'm not saying BC doesn't have value. But 30% of the core audience isnt a realistic number if you remove the question from the niche audience

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Of course exclusives matter, but less so early on. The PS4 didn't build its base on the strength of Knack and Killzone: Shadowfall.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
It's interesting because this is the first gen where I'm not going to be buying an Xbox since the original released in 2001. As Xbox is doing its main titles/exclusives on Xbox and PC now, I don't have much need to have an Xbox anymore - I have a powerful gaming PC. So next gen for me will be PS5 and Switch. No Xbox, which kind of sucks because I've loved the Xbox ecosystem but I don't see the need anymore. With that in mind, the PS5 can probably be any (within reason) price and I'll buy it because I love their exclusives so much - for me it really is the exclusives.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Not surprised at all to see exclusives last. The casual audience doesn't buy consoles for games like Halo, Horizon, God of War, Gears, etc. They buy it for games like Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K, etc. Basically 3rd party. It's the hardcore audience that drives the exclusives. Price being the biggest factor makes sense since people can play those games on either console and there's no reason to fork out more money than needed.

Let's make the same poll here and see if we get the same results for fun

This is an enthusiast forum so of course you won't. I'm sure you already knew that as well.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
People think the ps4 won because of its exclusives but it won because you paid $100 less for more powerful hardware.

Exclusives are 2 things fanboy list fodder for console warriors and for people who actually play games instead of lists they're cherries on top.

Exclusives are excellent but GTA 6 early timed dlc would help sell more consoles then any single exclusive. People play 3rd party overwhelmingly more.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If one system launches at $400 and the other at $500, that's going to be pretty hard to just ignore.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People think the ps4 won because of its exclusives but it won because you paid $100 less for more powerful hardware.

Exclusives are 2 things fanboy list fodder for console warriors and for people who actually play games instead of lists they're cherries on top.
The less expensive console doesn't always win