• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The Isla and Don video was great. Enjoyed the latest Frame Trap too (then again I usually do).
All the Easy Allies content has been great the past couple of weeks.

If he's still reading this topic: Is Ben-pai (sorry, just a nickname I came up with) going to play Scarlet Nexus? Damiani's review was good.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't believe the allies are planning to do a live reaction to the NGPX today, but Epic leaked probably the biggest announcement from it anyway.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're just trying to keep things going at this point. No need for that.
What lol, you need stop being a fake mod in the communities I see you in. I was joking there with others who were making similar jokes.

Was it the upside down smiley? You really need to relax 💆‍♀️

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Love that you checked out End Of Eternity, Ben. You really should check out Fantasian next. Though you'd need an apple device to play it.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You're just trying to keep things going at this point. No need for that.
What lol, you need stop being a fake mod in the communities I see you in. I was joking there with others who were making similar jokes.

Was it the upside down smiley? You really need to relax 💆‍♀️

Knock it off. If you see posts that need moderation, report them for the moderators to look at. No need to get hostile with one another.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Eh. There's levels of conduct that aren't actionable by site-wide rules but may still be discouraged within specific sub-communities. That's one of the advantages of posting in threads, where regulars get to know each other over time and aren't judged by single posts. A bit of mutual self-moderation is healthy, as long as personal feuds don't take over.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Been listening to the latest Frame Trap and it struck me as odd when Huber was saying that because of his 8.5 review of Ratchet being only "good" that he was supposed to sound more critical of the game because of the score he gave. Is 8.5 supposed to be some harsh take? I haven't paid attention to reviews in the longest time but the talk there just seemed to reinforce that idea of if it's not 9+ it's wack in some way. Do folks here have a lot of interest in their reviews? I don't really care about them on the whole, regardless of the media outlet.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Honestly, considering the pretty fun time I had with early 2000s Hot Wheels games like Velocity X, Unleashed looks super disappointing. Like, cool it interacts with the environment a bit but it's still pretty much just floating tracks.

I guess the racing mechanics themselves are really good but I'd like a bit more from a Hot Wheels game in 2021.

Preview has cemented a no buy for me.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Been listening to the latest Frame Trap and it struck me as odd when Huber was saying that because of his 8.5 review of Ratchet being only "good" that he was supposed to sound more critical of the game because of the score he gave. Is 8.5 supposed to be some harsh take? I haven't paid attention to reviews in the longest time but the talk there just seemed to reinforce that idea of if it's not 9+ it's wack in some way. Do folks here have a lot of interest in their reviews? I don't really care about them on the whole, regardless of the media outlet.

I never really pay attention to reviews, i make up my own mind by watching some gameplay clips and i can usually tell if it's for me or not. 8.5 seems like it's "great" to me though.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017

No, it's just that the review is overwhelmingly positive. Little time is spent on negatives, and even then, one seems a little bit picky. The review reads like a 9 to me. I haven't commented on it outside of this post though. Huber shouldn't worry, it's ultimately meaningless observations, the review is still a great piece of writing.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Easy Allies reviews are some of the only reviews I watch. That and Brandon Plays Pokémon were how I found them in the first place. Their reviews are actually pretty helpful, I've decided on waiting on some games in the past from them.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Huber has talked multiple times about how stressed he gets about the score parts of reviews. I wouldn't be surprised if he would much rather go without scores.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Obviously R&C is a masterpiece game and any score below a 9 deserves to have the reviewer drawn and quartered

/s

People freak out about scores too much. If we want to he super nitpicky then Huber's 8.5 it technically below the average score according to metacritic. It shouldn't mean anything, but a thousands of posts in hundreds of review threads show people annoyingly care, a lot.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
I think Huber's point on Frame Trap was that even though he gave the game a great score of 8.5, a lot of other outlets gave it a 9 or even higher.

As a consequence, Huber was seen as being more down on the game and would be expected to discuss it's flaws more.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Man how is Bio mutant out here with a review yet it takes 2 has nothing lol. I don't know why for some reason it's the one game I want their review on.

Ben Moore

Nov 30, 2017
Love that you checked out End Of Eternity, Ben. You really should check out Fantasian next. Though you'd need an apple device to play it.

I plan to! I've been really slammed with games but I'm going home to see family in roughly two weeks (haven't seen them for more than a year!) so I hope I can sneak some Fantasian in then.

Also, it doesn't take long for people to show their true colors, eh? I guess the fun really is known.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I know you were joking but that's kind of a fun idea. Blood and Jones both write the review. I wonder if they could make it work. I don't think I've seen anything like this, but I also don't check out a lot of reviews.

I'm only half joking, Jones and Blood clearly want to beat the game together before reviewing one of them reviews it.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
We did the full playthrough and I did a lot of capture. Jones intended to write the review, but it got away from him, and eventually we decided it was best to move on. I understand the disappointment of course, but things just got a bit messy. I still think it's one of the best games I've played this year.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll ever notice how otashi gami never finds anything in chat funny until an ally brings it up and laughs, and then otashi's like HAHAHAHAHAHA

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Fast & Loose is perfect now. Patreon questions being on a screen where everyone can see them and Isla just scrolling on if nothing has struck anybody's fancy for a while solved the bigger issue I had with how they were implemented into the flow of the conversation. Cut out mentioning people's names and I got no complaining left in me.

Jessica being back in person was a happy, happy surprise.

Last edited:

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

I saw a Twitter comment saying they shouldn't let Huber review Ratchet anymore since his score was an "extreme outlier". At the time the Metacritic was an 87 or 88, he gave it an 85. One of the more ridiculous complaints I've seen.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I don't understand why people think an 8.5/10 isn't a very good score.
I would honestly be very sceptical if all big games are starting to get 9+ from all outlets.

I always thought some people were exaggerating when I read/heard that metacritic is bad for games, but I am honestly starting to think there is some truth to it. I tend to watch reviewscores for some games as I think it is a good starting point to have an idea of how good a game is, but I almost never look purely at the score and at least check out the closing thoughts of some of the reviews (next to watching EZA's full review if they have done one).

The whole "you are lowering the metacritic score" thing is also really weird to me. Let people do their job, if you don't like certain outlets/scores, stop looking at them. Who cares that a metacritic score is an 88 instead of a 90 because of one or a couple reviews.
I also know that I have really liked some games that don't get good scores (and I am not talking about an 8.5, but more like a 6 or lower).

I almost never felt the need to comment on a score because of how subjective those are. The only time that comes to mind is EZA's The Last Guarian score (I'm sorry Blood to mention this again) and I have never thought Blood was "wrong" with his score (since it is subjective).

I can not imagine how tough it must be to do reviews on some games (especially on highly anticipated games) when you know you will get flack for just giving your opinion and doing your job (it probably doesn't even matter what score you give it). That's just ridiculous.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I think Huber's point on Frame Trap was that even though he gave the game a great score of 8.5, a lot of other outlets gave it a 9 or even higher.

As a consequence, Huber was seen as being more down on the game and would be expected to discuss it's flaws more.

Yeah, I think this is what he meant. That said I feel a lot of reviews did kind of overlook some of it's flaws just because there wasn't as much competition and people are pretty thirsty for games to be next-gen showpieces. Outside the tech i don't think the game is very ambitious.

Also when that review question came up on frametrap i kinda raised an eyebrow because that person still seemed stuck on the 'product review' definition of a review, which I feel most outlets kinda stopped doing 10 years ago when everyone realized that classic style of 'objective' pro/cons lists reviews was pretty hacky.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Fast & Loose is perfect now. Patreon questions being on a screen where everyone can see them and Isla just scrolling on if nothing has struck anybody's fancy for a while solved the bigger issue I had with how they were implemented into the flow of the conversation. Cut out mentioning people's names and I got no complaining left in me.

I disagree with this. As it's a Patreon-exclusive series, it's good to mention the patron's question if they use it.

Doesn't negatively impact the show at all.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a Twitter comment saying they shouldn't let Huber review Ratchet anymore since his score was an "extreme outlier". At the time the Metacritic was an 87 or 88, he gave it an 85. One of the more ridiculous complaints I've seen.
If there's anything that would draw me to video game reviewing it would be all the salt thrown my way for minor shit like this from people who take it way too seriously while I sit back and

jxWcfWsl.png

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
'The internet''s opinion on reviews is often pretty barmy. If you're not bang-on in line with the majority you can 100% expect to be 'called out' as either a shill or a liar or just bad at the game or... something.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
My copy of Resident Evil 3 The Board Game just arrived. I wonder if Huber copped a copy like he did Resident Evil 2. Would make for a great return of in person Occasional Board Game show.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I hate that embedding Twitch clips has been broken forever.

But here is a clip from Kyle last night:

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else having trouble accessing the YouTube version of the podcast? Received the early access email, but video is listed as private.

TwoDots

Oct 6, 2020
I hate that embedding Twitch clips has been broken forever.

But here is a clip from Kyle last night:

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.
Holy shit that reaction. Extremely funny. Had to bail out early again due to timezone, gonna check the VOD!

Also this Frametrap with the boys was so damn good. Ben is one of the best natural hosts. Love it.

Fast & Loose is even better now in the studio and it was already amazing. Such joy.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019

Posted a few hours ago, looks to be a tabletop thing being hosted on EZA twitch Monday. Should be fun.

JLV becoming an official ally when

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Anyone finished the Monster Hunter Stories 2 demo?

The villain boy & cat spy duo introduced right at the end coulda totally been played by Ben Moore and Amanda Troop.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like how that stupid SNES Baseball game has become the new Kyle thing lol
I don't understand why people think an 8.5/10 isn't a very good score.
Some people (including reviewers) have been conditioned to think 8 is merely decent and anything below that is some level of trash.

Last edited: