• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 8, 2019
I mean there is about 30 people who will immediately downvote any easy allies video with Ian in, based on the discussions I've seen most people who are angry only listened to the first 20 minutes or don't like constructive criticism of their game, way better spoiler mode than the first one simply because they actually had a discussion on the elements in the game

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I don't normally poo poo the allies.
Jones should done a reaction to the Valhalla trailer. Missed opportunity
I'm not sure a reaction would be needed. But I'd love Trailer Jones, especially in anticipation of the gameplay reveal on Thursday.

Jones is always talking about how much you can glean from Cinematic Trailers. Going back in time and listening to him on the podcast talking about how much we knew about Death Stranding already, including gameplay, despite only having seen vague contextless cinematics was fascinating considering he was right almost every time.

I would love to him analyse a trailer that's a bit more on the nose in terms of "this is the new Assassins Creed". And then even check his predictions after Thursday to see how right he was.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Valhalla, I loved how he opened the Podcast with the trailer lol. I wasn't quite sure what his "favorite way" would be, much like some of the panel seemingly was unaware. Once he said the word trailers I'm like, "oh, duh!"

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
The 2nd FF7R Spoiler Mode is a far more damning example of why all Spoilers should be on the table for certain discussions than the 1st one was for the opposite. It is such a difficult listen, especially given Huber clearly doesn't know any of the nitty gritty stuff they are all talking about. There is so much Damiani and Ian talking over one another and everyone else in this - really hard going imo.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The 2nd FF7R Spoiler Mode is a far more damning example of why all Spoilers should be on the table for certain discussions than the 1st one was for the opposite. It is such a difficult listen, especially given Huber clearly doesn't know any of the nitty gritty stuff they are all talking about. There is so much Damiani and Ian talking over one another and everyone else in this - really hard going imo.

this game has to have the weirdest spoiler culture ever. It's pretty much impossible to talk about the end of the game removed from the context of the original game. You cant properly explain that to someone who doesn't know all of the spoilers for both the original game and the remake though. Its gotta be frustrating for the people who actually have to talk about this on podcasts and what not.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
this game has to have the weirdest spoiler culture ever. It's pretty much impossible to talk about the end of the game removed from the context of the original game. You cant properly explain that to someone who doesn't know all of the spoilers for both the original game and the remake though. Its gotta be frustrating for the people who actually have to talk about this on podcasts and what not.
I 100% agree. Didn't play but don't care for FF much so already read the spoilers. If it was a straight remake with some stuff added as originally assumed I'd still think it was a little silly since the original game is over 20 years old and if you didn't know the major shit by now you lived under a rock but I at least understand the stance. But that ending changes what the game is so much and having that stance in light of that neuters too much of any meaningful conversation you could have.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'd honestly go as far to say playing through the original FF7 is nearly a requirement to talk about FF7 Remake to it's fullest extent. It's as if the game is a direct sequel rather than a remake.

Yoh

Nov 19, 2017
They've done 2 FF7R Spoiler Modes, one in which they talk about spoilers of the OG game and theories.
People complain that they should keep the talk to this game and not delve too much into theories.
They do another one, they keep the talk mostly on what happens in FF7R.
People complain the other way around...

Saw both Spoiler Mode and enjoyed them both for different reasons but even with having 2 separate Spoiler Modes you can't please everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
The complaints for the first spoiler mode, the ones I've seen, were about how much of Max was in the conversation.

Like others, I'm a bit puzzled how you can do a spoiler mode with the seconds restriction given the ending. The impact of the ending gives meaning to nearly every scene in the game.

With that said, I'm still gonna finish watching it.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm mostly blind on FF7 except some major plot points and I absolutely adored Remake and find all the theories around it fascinating. Really enjoyed the spoiler mode with Max even if a lot of it went over my head. If I wanted to dive into Original FF7, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, and Advent Children to get the full picture of everything what are the must plays? Is there anything I can skip and just read a plot summary of? And in what order?

I'm kind of torn on it though because I liked going in mostly blind for this game and think the next games will be just as great with my current frame of reference... but if it really is a sequel it makes sense to play the stuff that came first. Gah.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm mostly blind on FF7 except some major plot points and I absolutely adored Remake and find all the theories around it fascinating. Really enjoyed the spoiler mode with Max even if a lot of it went over my head. If I wanted to dive into Original FF7, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, and Advent Children to get the full picture of everything what are the must plays? Is there anything I can skip and just read a plot summary of? And in what order?

I'm kind of torn on it though because I liked going in mostly blind for this game and think the next games will be just as great with my current frame of reference... but if it really is a sequel it makes sense to play the stuff that came first. Gah.
Play the OG FF7 [the ports have cheats which will be nice for the slower/grindier parts]. Crisis Core is worth playing if you can somehow find a way to play it. Advent Children is a stupid-fun action movie. Dirge of Cerberus... just watch the cutscene movie on YouTube. Oh, and check out FFVII: Last Order too for some quick anime backstory on Zack & Cloud.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

I would play FF7, fan retranslated or not, watch Advent Children, and then play Crisis Core any way you please.

Dirge of Cerberus is not going to be that important and most of the details of Before Crisis can be seen online since it's impossible to play it in 2020 anyway.

There's some extra anime stuff but it's not important.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Play the OG FF7 [the ports have cheats which will be nice for the slower/grindier parts]. Crisis Core is worth playing if you can somehow find a way to play it. Advent Children is a stupid-fun action movie. Dirge of Cerberus... just watch the cutscene movie on YouTube. Oh, and check out FFVII: Last Order too for some quick anime backstory on Zack & Cloud.

lmfao - and from 2015 'til a few weeks ago I actually thought FF7R would be a great way to experience the legend in a modern look if you've missed it back in the day. I really don't want to have to watch anime beforehand just so I'm not confused about characters etc. appearing in the game. That's one of the things that put me off XV.

The battle system felt promising though from what I played in the demo so if the next game is more open and I can have my open fields and optional dungeons in my jrpg I'll probably still cave at some point.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It was baffling that they didnt want to spoil a 23 year old game thats directly tied to the spoiler mode they were discussing, but other than that i thought it was quite good.

i was worried that ian would be a downer the whole time but he was more 50:50 positive/critical. Jason Was a nice addition especially whenever discussing the games tech issues.

Huber was his usual 10/10 self.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

You absolutely do not need to bother with anything other than the original game. If you are hungry for more after that, you can give some of the compilation stuff a shot, but it is mainly dumb trash (I say that as a person who consumed nearly all of it).

Tight Shoe

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
It was baffling that they didnt want to spoil a 23 year old game thats directly tied to the spoiler mode they were discussing, but other than that i thought it was quite good.
think about it like... if they did one for the first Lord of The Ring movie, not wanting to talk about the books, even though they were like 50 years old when the first movie came out

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
lmfao - and from 2015 'til a few weeks ago I actually thought FF7R would be a great way to experience the legend in a modern look if you've missed it back in the day. I really don't want to have to watch anime beforehand just so I'm not confused about characters etc. appearing in the game. That's one of the things that put me off XV.

The battle system felt promising though from what I played in the demo so if the next game is more open and I can have my open fields and optional dungeons in my jrpg I'll probably still cave at some point.
I wouldn't say it's a necessity but it would give you greater appreciation IMO. It did for me.

The anime is like 30 minutes; just ignore the non-canonical stuff lol

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I wouldn't say it's a necessity but it would give you greater appreciation IMO. It did for me.

yup that's what I gathered anyway :) It would just have been nice to skip OG VII and not miss out at all playing Remake but oh well. In a way you get rewarded for having been there the whole time and that's fair

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
yup that's what I gathered anyway :) It would just have been nice to skip OG VII and not miss out at all playing Remake but oh well. In a way you get rewarded for having been there the whole time and that's fair
It's honestly one of the best games of all time. A 'Great' if you will. It's worth playing just to play.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kind of bummed out that they didn't keep the Gorgeous Gorillas going. :(

One of the coolest moments ever was Brad saying his goal at the start of a podcast was to do the chest beating thing like Donkey Kong, then at the end having his team name "Gorgeous Gorillas" get picked out of a hat, and he got to do it.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

For the record, I'm pretty sure the anime isn't even canon, and the references to other compilation stuff is mostly either Easter eggs or just not that important (yet). It's not even approaching the level of XV where the movie is literally integral to the story and they just show a screenshot montage, or most of the main casts' character development being in the anime.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

The Song of Fire And Ice books had been out for like 20+ years before GoT started, and there was still "NO BOOK SPOILERS" even when GoT started to deviate slightly.

Heck many anime come out several years after their manga has been widedly available, and "NO MANGA SPOILERS" is still enforced.

I think it's completely fair to have a spoiler discussion based upon just the remake, and a separate spoiler discussion discussing the potential impact on future events.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
So... what was the famous last line from Kyle? I must've missed that as I'm not a constant viewer and am very behind on some podcasts.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Song of Fire And Ice books had been out for like 20+ years before GoT started, and there was still "NO BOOK SPOILERS" even when GoT started to deviate slightly.

Heck many anime come out several years after their manga has been widedly available, and "NO MANGA SPOILERS" is still enforced.

I think it's completely fair to have a spoiler discussion based upon just the remake, and a separate spoiler discussion discussing the potential impact on future events.
To be fair those books were ongoing (allegedly lol) and the TV adaptation could have just delayed adapting some stuff until later so openly talking about plot points they deviated from could still have spoiled things. In hindsight it didn't really happen that way for any of the significant stuff bit the logic made sense at the time. That said I don't think

Not really comparable to FF7 which was complete and, more importantly, so well established in video game culture that major plot points are well known unless you live under a rock. It being so well remembered and enough time passed that people have been more then comfortable openly dicussing it plot to the point that non-original spoiler discussions are odd. It's the video game equivalent of someone getting mad when another says Vader is Lukes father even though everyone and their mother knows it. GoT was not popular to that point until the TV series and most fans never read the books.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice everyone. I saw the original was on sale on steam so I went ahead and grabbed it. Crisis Core seems cool too if I can find a way to play it. All that'll have to wait though since it's back to Trails in the Sky 3 for now. As impressed as I was by Remake's localization and character work, Trails is on another level. Well worth the time investment if anyone wants another multi game RPG series while waiting for Remake 2 hehe

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
To be fair those books were ongoing (allegedly lol) and the TV adaptation could have just delayed adapting some stuff until later so openly talking about plot points they deviated from could still have spoiled things. In hindsight it didn't really happen that way for any of the significant stuff bit the logic made sense at the time. That said I don't think

Not really comparable to FF7 which was complete and, more importantly, so well established in video game culture that major plot points are well known unless you live under a rock. It being so well remembered and enough time passed that people have been more then comfortable openly dicussing it plot to the point that non-original spoiler discussions are odd. It's the video game equivalent of someone getting mad when another says Vader is Lukes father even though everyone and their mother knows it. GoT was not popular to that point until the TV series and most fans never read the books.
To be fair, the only major spoiler in FF7 that I consider to be wide spread, and one that I would compare to Vader is
Aerith's death.
Other things surrounding
Cloud's origins and past
involve more involved discussions that you aren't having with somebody at the water cooler when discussing your favorite games in passing. It's those plot points that I wouldn't spoil for someone these days especially seeing how Square is having fun with that stuff with the Remake and its ending. There are things to discuss for people who have played the original, and things to discuss for those who haven't, and I think both discussions in EZA's case have been fair to have. It's interesting though and I understand why folks are torn on it because we haven't really had many examples like this before.

Oct 25, 2017

Those are not really comparable to the situation here, because those attempt to be fairly strict adaptions.

General FF7R talk, but wrapped in spoiler tags just to be safe:
I would argue that the ending of FF7R basically acknowledges that if you haven't played OG FF7, you have either already been spoiled on some key story beats, or you will/would have after part one releases but before part two is out due to it being the age of the Internet. The ending invites speculation that rests on the OG game. It would be a tremendous and monumental task for any player to finish FF7R, have avoided OG FF7 spoilers all this time, and try and find answers to the questions raised by the ending without delving into spoilers for the OG. It doesn't work.

The game wants you to know about the events of the original game, even on a basic level. That's a huge crux of making the ending work.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I see, haha. Welp, I guessed he would've gone with something more memorable (and goofy) instead of touchy-feely.

Oh no, the final word was said by jones and wasn't touchy-feely. Kyle wanted to avoid that. It's just that Kyle's actual final line was that.

The final line was "I made a lot of tough decisions since I took this position. But none of them harder than this one. You saved us. But you'll kill us. I'm sorry. You're a hero. And you have to leave."

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Wow, just saw some stuff in twitch chat that made me cringe/laugh due to the comment that was brought up in this past week's Cup of Jones about the Mods of chat, and how they were ruining the fun.

People highlighting dumb trollish comments like "ass and titties", and that's probably the dumb shit people are doing and something that made that comment from that person too. I mean, "ass and titties" is kinda inoffensive but it's really childish and immature and they just kept highlighting stuff like that which made it even moreso. Glad to see that if that is the kind of stuff that person was alluding too then I am with the mods.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, just saw some stuff in twitch chat that made me cringe/laugh due to the comment that was brought up in this past week's Cup of Jones about the Mods of chat, and how they were ruining the fun.

People highlighting dumb trollish comments like "ass and titties", and that's probably the dumb shit people are doing and something that made that comment from that person too. I mean, "ass and titties" is kinda inoffensive but it's really childish and immature and they just kept highlighting stuff like that which made it even moreso. Glad to see that if that is the kind of stuff that person was alluding too then I am with the mods.
I'm pretty sure the patron comment was talking about Kyle and Damiani's MML stream where Damiani said simping and chat started joking about the word a bit and a mod decided it was a slur and started banning people even though the only reason it came up was because of Damiani.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Oh no, the final word was said by jones and wasn't touchy-feely. Kyle wanted to avoid that. It's just that Kyle's actual final line was that.

The final line was "I made a lot of tough decisions since I took this position. But none of them harder than this one. You saved us. But you'll kill us. I'm sorry. You're a hero. And you have to leave."

Ahhh, makes sense, I did listen to the podcast where they chose this F1 line to go through.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
For me he can sing however he likes but I'd find it funny if the songs were really popular music/lyrics with Jonesy's opera twist or whatever you call that. Like stuff you'd never expect him to sing

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Really liked the game development experience aspect Jason brought to the Spoiler Mode. He didn't get too into the weeds but I really enjoyed him talking about what he thought were issues with Unreal Engine / old hardware vs what was limited by time or budget. Thought that was really interesting.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Really liked the game development experience aspect Jason brought to the Spoiler Mode. He didn't get too into the weeds but I really enjoyed him talking about what he thought were issues with Unreal Engine / old hardware vs what was limited by time or budget. Thought that was really interesting.

Yeah he did a great job breaking that stuff down. Really enjoyed his contributions to the discussions.

I'm very bored at work today so I keep coming into this thread just to pass the time.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I liked the new podcast a lot, Brandon's intro was swell! It helped that they did talk about AC:V a lot because I am also really hyped for that game.
I am curious on how the reactions for xbox inside will work this week and the podcast for this week should be fun too! Hope they cover summergamefest.