• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
What a cynical and negative view. Can't say I agree at all.
Cynical it may be, but while watching I was disappointed to find that of the final five on the list, four were sequels and a remake. Not that I'm better in that regard, my most desired game right now is Spelunky 2.

I'd be the type to instantly go at the jugular on the list though, Ian started off strong but backed off quickly haha.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Yupp, it would've been wise to get the shield bait out of the way immediately lol. I'd instantly kill off Red Dead, Sekiro, TLOU, etc.
I'm not sure if the end would be exciting though if you do that. If the only survivors are games people care less about except for one, it's rather clear which one is going to win.
I also assume they don't want a game that nobody is excited for to win (granted, most of the games on there were big names, but still)

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if the end would be exciting though if you do that. If the only survivors are games people care less about except for one, it's rather clear which one is going to win.
I also assume they don't want a game that nobody is excited for to win (granted, most of the games on there were big names, but still)
To be fair, they even acknowledged this was all meaningless, but it would've been hilarious as a viewer imo. While I very much enjoyed the video, it was as expected. Nothing surprised me at all except for Ian's cut to Kingdom Hearts 3 early on lol.

Ian was the closest one we got to a hitman to burn it all to the ground! The end discussions would've been funnier imo.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning of Frame Trap...

but my eyebrows went up up when they were talking about old Nintendo directs.
The new style and pacing is a lot better than the old way. Personally, I liked the stuff like Robot Chicken and puppets, but people by and large disliked all the long segments and bits with few announcements.

Blood mentioned the direct with Star Fox and the Yoshi Developer stories.
Kyle said "Yeah, that was E3. That was a really good one."

Actually, EZA crew hated that direct. That was E3 2015, off the backs of FF7R, Shenmue III, and The Last Guardian being announced.

They ripped Nintendo for that direct.
Kyle included. (Timestamp)

- not sure why the crew were really down on the direct in general. Online is garbage of course (as we expected). But there were short game reveals and stuff during the Iwata era too. Bayo2, etc.

-Even during E3 2018 and 2017, Reggie did talk casually with the consumers, as Kyle was talking about and wasn't just going off a list. That was just in June.
-The Diablo 3 Reveal was just a trailer, but it was a humorous bit. So there's at least a little bit there. If you're into that type of thing.
Personally, I prefer the new style to stay, with E3 having speeches and stuff.

TDLR; Their take on the directs is way off imo.

Last edited:

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
At the beginning of Frame Trap...

but my eyebrows went up up when they were talking about old Nintendo directs.
The new style and pacing is a lot better than the old way. Personally, I liked the stuff like Robot Chicken and puppets, but people by and large disliked all the long segments and bits with few announcements.

Blood mentioned the direct with Star Fox and the Yoshi Developer stories.
Kyle said "Yeah, that was E3. That was a really good one."

Actually, EZA crew hated that direct. That was E3 2015, off the backs of FF7R, Shenmue III, and The Last Guardian being announced.

They ripped Nintendo for that direct.
Kyle included. (Timestamp)

- not sure why the crew were really down on the direct in general. Online is garbage of course (as we expected). But there were short game reveals and stuff during the Iwata era too. Bayo2, etc.

-Even during E3 2018 and 2017, Reggie did talk casually with the consumers, as Kyle was talking about and wasn't just going off a list. That was just in June.
-The Diablo 3 Reveal was just a trailer, but it was a humorous bit. So there's at least a little bit there. If you're into that type of thing.
Personally, I prefer the new style to stay, with E3 having speeches and stuff.

TDLR; Their take on the directs is way off imo.

Also that they still have devs talking about their games in depth during Treehouse. Like there's been plenty of talk with Daemon producer in cons.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Also that they still have devs talking about their games in depth during Treehouse. Like there's been plenty of talk with Daemon producer in cons.
Yup that too.
The amount of interviews hasn't changed. It's probably increased if anything.
There's maybe less creative bits...but it's not like old directs were overflowing with puppet-like segments. That was more of a one-off.
They could be very sterile at times with 4 minutes straight of someone talking with a white background for example.

Having the president directly talking to the audience was pretty cool.
but with the amount of content they have now compared to the Wii U era, each direct would run about 2 hours with the same approach. I'm not exaggerating.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OMG, I watched the FrameTrap and made a mental note to comment on something, but over the course of the day forgot about what...

Thanks you Mory Dunz, because their Nintendo Direct comments were very confusing to me.

I love the new quick-structure of the Directs. It's advertisment... well, no shit lol.

The Yoshi segment, while kinda cute, is boring stuff to me in an event such as Directs, E3 conferences. But I also don't really like stuff like "super shaky and obviously nervous developers stumble through a presentation of some title" (with the exception being that INfamous guy talking like he saw a ghost right before he took the stage was absolutely killer :D)

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Third-person Action/Adventure games are my jam. I couldn't be happier with the list of upcoming games and this generation in general. Of course, that is also why I just blank-faced the entire Cyberpunk demo. Felt a complete disconnect from the press after watching it.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Third-person Action/Adventure games are my jam. I couldn't be happier with the list of upcoming games and this generation in general. Of course, that is also why I just blank-faced the entire Cyberpunk demo. Felt a complete disconnect from the press after watching it.
As long as you're not acting entitled about it. My problem with the Cyberpunk first person "backlash" is that it comes from people who get what they want every damn time. Mostly console players (or rather, controller player) who love third person action games and get them all over the place, souls game, zelda games, uncharted games, spider man games, sony 1st party output, open world games... Everything is third person. And now Cyberpunk want to do first person, with clear inspirations like System Shock, Deus Ex, Bioshock, Dishonored... and all of a sudden it's the end of world, almost a betrayal or something. That's entitled to me, and it really took me by surprise. I always thought first person was considered best for immersion, role playing, stuff like that. But gaming did change a lot and I guess I was blindsided.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought first person was considered best for immersion, role playing, stuff like that. But gaming did change a lot and I guess I was blindsided.

For me, First-person games introduce an immediate disconnect. My brain goes, "This is fake. None of this is real. Everything is off. You don't belong here." I feel like I just connect more when I feel like just a camera-man following somebody else within a world. They exist in that world. They are clearly a part of it and have been the entire time.

Of course, I knew Cyperpunk would be first-person, but I thought I would be immediately immersed based on a lot of the descriptions of the E3 demo. It's just a personal thing that I thought I might be able to break free from. Oh well, I still plan on playing the game. I just hope I can get more into it.

You're right though. We third-person folks get pretty much everything.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Is there really such a big divide between camps for 1st and 3rd person? I play and enjoy both but maybe that's rare.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best thing will be buying it on PC and then modding it to be third person anyway. It'll look a little janky, but hell, so does Fallout or Skyrim, and they include the option themselves!

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Knees will be taken galore in Cyberpunk. First person hype.

giphy.gif

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Yea. 1st person just helps give me those Deus Ex vibes. Plus it gives me hope one Day we could get a Vr version of the game

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
If I'm using a somewhat realistic gun to shoot something I want the game to be in first person. I cant think of a single third person game with gun based combat where I actually enjoyed the combat. That actually worked out well in the last of us though, my shitty aim in tense situations was part of my head cannon.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
As long as you're not acting entitled about it. My problem with the Cyberpunk first person "backlash" is that it comes from people who get what they want every damn time. Mostly console players (or rather, controller player) who love third person action games and get them all over the place, souls game, zelda games, uncharted games, spider man games, sony 1st party output, open world games... Everything is third person. And now Cyberpunk want to do first person, with clear inspirations like System Shock, Deus Ex, Bioshock, Dishonored... and all of a sudden it's the end of world, almost a betrayal or something. That's entitled to me, and it really took me by surprise. I always thought first person was considered best for immersion, role playing, stuff like that. But gaming did change a lot and I guess I was blindsided.
I personally would have prefered it to be third person and it would have been a day one purchase for me.
Because it is first person, it possibly isn't a day one purchase. Not because I feel entitled to it (they can do with the game what they want), but because I usually don't like first person shooter gameplay (so combat in first person). I have played Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided (didn't finish this one) and I played them completely stealth so I was more in third person in cover anyway. I never liked the elder scrolls gameplay (I loved the world building, but not the combat), I was more ok with Fallout, but stopped playing Fallout 4 as well.

I also got sick a few times while playing first person games (I can remember this with the unfinished swan and antichamber, I also got a bit sick while playing Talos Principle and never returned to it after that), which is why I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Some notable first person games I did enjoy include: The Witness, Portal 1 and 2, Counter-Strike (1.3 to Source) back in the day, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2. I also played some Rainbow Six Siege which went ok.
I have always preferred third person as it immerses me honestly more in the person I am playing. I am playing a character, not myself. But I can see how people will find first person more immersive. It's not the case for me. I do race in cockpit view (so in first person) in racing games.

But I understand why people enjoy first person games. I just prefer third person by a long shot.
And it's possible I won't buy Cyberpunk day one because of that. Not out of spite, but I am just less hyped for the game because of it being first person. I genuinely enjoy games in that perspective less than third person. I also am afraid of spending 60 euro on a game for which I possibly can get sick while playing it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with your stance on this. I understand being overjoyed with their decision if you love first person games. I am glad you got an other first person game which will almost certainly be excellent. The world and atmosphere looks fantastic (I love this style of scifi), but the combat looks extremely boring to me. I also don't agree with the immersion defense they have as it's not the case for me, but it's ultimately their game and their decision. I am not going to attack them for that.

Last edited:

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Is there really such a big divide between camps for 1st and 3rd person? I play and enjoy both but maybe that's rare.
First person games often hit people that are sensitive to motion sickness, or easily get headaches from games harder than third person ones. I tend to avoid first person games if I don't have a wide range of graphical options to tweak. Most of the time that means PC versions, but even those can be lacking at times.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only hard out I have in first person is stealth. It rarely works well, but other than that, whatever.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
you need to save your shield in "kill your babies" until it's down to three and then you can decide the winner out of those three if you are lucky.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
First person games often hit people that are sensitive to motion sickness, or easily get headaches from games harder than third person ones. I tend to avoid first person games if I don't have a wide range of graphical options to tweak. Most of the time that means PC versions, but even those can be lacking at times.

Yeah that is totally fair especially if you can't help it.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Yeah that is totally fair especially if you can't help it.
Like I mentioned in my previous post, this happened a couple of times to me. I didn't expect it at all with Antichamber, which was the first time I got this and it was really violent. After 15 minutes of gameplay I had to lie down for 2 hours before I stopped feeling sick. It's one of the reasons I don't dare trying VR (I am also not super interested in it) or even 3D movies for a long time. I have watched Fury Road in 3D in the end and I was fine (even though I didn't feel like the 3D effect brought anything to the table).

I did get car sick a lot when I was a child, so I guess I have some tendency to do so, but I am still surprised I have this with video games and it only manifested so many years after I started playing video games. Especially because I played CS a lot during the 1.3 to Source days and never had any problems with that.

It sucks because I am somewhat interested in some genres of first person games (like some of the better "walking simulators"/adventure games), but I am afraid of starting them because there is always the possibility of getting sick while playing them.

Last edited:

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough, the one game that I would love to be in First-person is a traversal-based Spider-man game, which would probably make most people sick. Mirror's Edge on steroids, basically.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason i wanted cyberpunk to be 3rd person is so i could see my cool futuristic armor

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Just got around listening to Frame Trap Episode 63, More Yakuza, More Hype, and they talked about an tease by Toshihiro Nagoshi about a new Game from his Team that will be revealed after TGS,
was this supposed to be Judge Eyes or are we expecting something else?
If it was JE why did they show it before TGS?

By the way: TGS is happening this week and I feel like there is no buzz around here for it. Is it just me or am I looking in the wrong places.
The "revealed after TGS" thing was a mistranslation some sites reported. Nagoshi said he'd appear on the next Sega-Nama episode (Nagoshi's monthly Japanese stream) at the end of September to answer questions about it but it was never going to actually be announced on that stream.

I don't think there's that many people who are vocally for one or the other (whether that's because they have actual issues, like motion sickness, or just find one more immersive than the other) but in Cyberpunk's case, I think the reason it became a big issue is because a lot of people already had an idea of what they thought Cyberpunk was going to be (Witcher 3 but cyberpunk) and reality slapped them across the face.

Personally, I mostly play third person action/adventure games but I've got no problem with first person games. Cyberpunk looks great, though even after watching the gameplay demo, I still wouldn't have given it E3 2018 Game of the Show.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit, I would be less excited in Cyberpunk if it wasn't for CD Project Red solely based on it being First Person. A little bit due to motion sickness, but mostly, because I just enjoy third person more for various factor like seeing your character, camera movement not being tied to your character and so on. Immersion was never tied to the perspective either way for me personally, though.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
The Spiderman costume review video is great. Love how random the scores are.
Yea just watched it. Can always count on Kyle having a different take or view on things. It'd be cool to get other videos like this from Kyle in the future.

But it's clear a log of the comments a number of people are not used to Kyle being Kyle. Hah.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of official Reviews from EZA, it's best for any newcomer to view any scoring/ranking opinions in the same vein as Whose Line Is It Anyway - the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea just watched it. Can always count on Kyle having a different take or view on things. It'd be cool to get other videos like this from Kyle in the future.

But it's clear a log of the comments a number of people are not used to Kyle being Kyle. Hah.

His delivery of the scores was fantastic. Especially the one 4.9 score.

--

I remember seeing there's a link to a collection of the patron exclusive content. Anyone have it? It's kind of a mess to find the stuff on Patreon.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
The Advanced Suit, Spider-Armor Mark III, and Last Stand jeans and leather jacket all look great to me. Favorite suits in the game.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
OMG, I watched the FrameTrap and made a mental note to comment on something, but over the course of the day forgot about what...

Thanks you Mory Dunz, because their Nintendo Direct comments were very confusing to me.

I love the new quick-structure of the Directs. It's advertisment... well, no shit lol.

The Yoshi segment, while kinda cute, is boring stuff to me in an event such as Directs, E3 conferences. But I also don't really like stuff like "super shaky and obviously nervous developers stumble through a presentation of some title" (with the exception being that INfamous guy talking like he saw a ghost right before he took the stage was absolutely killer :D)
I forget at times too, so I stopped to write it before I forgot lol.
but yea, new way is better. And they and others complained about the old way at times.

ku-xlarge.gif

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
I totally agree with the Nintendo Direct comments from Kyle.

Seeing someone like Iwata step out even with his deteriorating health humanized the people who are actually behind these games and products. And yeah, they're advertisements, and people not familiar with Nintendo probably feel left out. I think what Nintendo was doing with the Nintendo Directs before was very progressive though, and I really don't care if they're better as advertisements now.

But really, I don't think it's been long enough to say it's a trend. So I hope this isn't them leaving that format forever.

They talk to developers in Treehouse streams at E3, but that gets much less exposure than the Directs.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree with the Nintendo Direct comments from Kyle.

Seeing someone like Iwata step out even with his deteriorating health humanized the people who are actually behind these games and products. And yeah, they're advertisements, and people not familiar with Nintendo probably feel left out. I think what Nintendo was doing with the Nintendo Directs before was very progressive though, and I really don't care if they're better as advertisements now.

But really, I don't think it's been long enough to say it's a trend. So I hope this isn't them leaving that format forever.

They talk to developers in Treehouse streams at E3, but that gets much less exposure than the Directs.
Koizumi has hosted directs.
Takahashi hosted this direct and has had segments in prior directs.
Reggie does E3 directs.
Nindies direct was hosted by a NOA Marketing guy.

people are still presenting like before. It's just way better paced now with less talking.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017
I have to admit, I would be less excited in Cyberpunk if it wasn't for CD Project Red solely based on it being First Person. A little bit due to motion sickness, but mostly, because I just enjoy third person more for various factor like seeing your character, camera movement not being tied to your character and so on. Immersion was never tied to the perspective either way for me personally, though.

Just think this: because it is in 1st person already from the beginning, the ultimate experience, being a VR version of this game, is a little easier to make. With VR and a first-person perspective, you will definitely feel immersed!

Man, if CDPR is able to pull that off in like a decade....just damn....I will be one of the 1st to pre-order this game....

In other words, maybe CDPR, in the back of their heads, has plans for making a VR version of this game in the far future? Maybe? The future is full of possibilities!

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here this news?

https://segmentnext.com/2018/09/18/rocksteady-studios-next-project-2

Basically the rumor that Rocksteady might be announcing their new title early next year or perhaps at E3 2019?
My question is, will the Allies cover it on the Podcast tonight?

I'd say doubtful. It's a rumor about an announcement as opposed to a rumor about the what their next game actually is. Need more concrete details for it to be anything but speculation and hearsay.

Nov 5, 2017
I'd say doubtful. It's a rumor about an announcement as opposed to a rumor about the what their next game actually is. Need more concrete details for it to be anything but speculation and hearsay.

I didn't read the actual article but the source of all this is someone who actually posted here on ResetERA. Here are the posts:

VqAXuyD_d.jpg

So really not just a rumor from some unknown source, but possibly someone who has actually worked at Rocksteady in the past. Slightly more credible than just a run-of-the-mill random rumor IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.