• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I'm hoping Captain Toad's inclusion in Odyssey means there are more journeys ahead. If they make a new game I hope they add in the original, I always wanted to play that one!

Yeah, same. I want a new one the most of course. But there are a lot of Wii U games I'd like to see on the Switch and Captain Toad is a big one to me. That game just deserves to be played by way more people. And it looked gorgeous on the Wii U already, a higher res Switch port would hold up great!

It did have some touch screen heavy stuff in it but I'm sure they could figure something out for docked play.

Skywalker

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Does Colin love and respect anyone but himself?

Does Jones going on Colin's podcast show love and respect to the EZA community members that Colin (and his fans) went after on twitter?

Speaking personally, I can Love unconditionally, but Respect is a two way street.

I feel you, man. I get where you're coming from. I have listened to Colin for a long time. I get his personality. He isn't perfect. He isn't exactly Hitler either. He uses inflammatory language from time to time, perhaps he has some misplaced judgement. But he's just like you or I, we all are imperfect. That tweet from Ian has some deep noise that I think is worth reading:

"It means disagreeing with someone and still respecting their humanity. Sure people can suck, but they are still people. It means taking the high road, not being insulting. It means keeping your damn chill. People have different opinions. Often offensive opinions, yeah...but the crux of it all is this: compassion is hard. Loving and Respecting differences is hard. It's tiring. And tiresome. But it's never not worth doing. And mistakes will always be made. But always try. L&R isn't a shield. Or an excuse and it's never a weapon. It's a practice. And we practice things that we suck at, because we pretty much all suck at it. It doesn't matter what you believe, you can be decent. And it's hard, probably the hardest thing to be. Besides like an acrobat maybe." - Ian

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, nothing cherrypicked here. I've listened to Colin (and Greg) for 100's of Episodes of Beyond until his end at Kinda Funny. Through the litany of controversies he's been a part of, they almost always play out the same way. He says something controversial, gets responded to (sometimes in a level-headed way and sometimes not by the masses), and then picks what he feels is the worst response and lumps everyone together with that response and makes fun about how hyperbolic and absurd everyone else is. For years I've wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt as I do feel he isn't some hateful monster (like the worst that 2017 has offered up), but at some point you need to call a spade a spade and acknowledge that this is his MO. To quote Chappelle's show Rick James, he is a "habitual line stepper."

About the summary, now I'm reading it's both accurate and inaccurate from posters above. So yeah, even though I cautioned before I wrote up a response about it earlier, just a reminder to take it all with a grain of salt at this time.
Yup and then he intentionally misrepresents opposing sides including this forum/thread. Saying resetera supports piracy due to one guy offering a link, who was banned for it and doesn't support progressive stances because mods don't want his stuff on the forum, pretending he doesn't understand what people have taken umbrage with him about. He may say he is progressive, but I think he misconstrues his apathy towards how others live their lives with actually being progressive, i.e. he was hurtful to someone again saying it was okay to identify as an oak tree which they asked him not to do. And I will never understand how I can take his model minority myth line as not racist. I think a bit of humility and empathy could do him well and consider apologizing in those instances rather than ignore criticism, but I doubt that would happen, he wouldn't even tell his followers to stop harassing his friends at KF when all they said was his tweet was in poor taste and let them take the heat for it instead of him. It's rather bothersome as well he has continued screencapping posts and now a couple posts on this thread. May just avoid posting in the thread for a while until this whole thing hopefully goes away.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you, man. I get where you're coming from. I have listened to Colin for a long time. I get his personality. He isn't perfect. He isn't exactly Hitler either. He uses inflammatory language from time to time, perhaps he has some misplaced judgement. But he's just like you or I, we all are imperfect. That tweet from Ian has some deep noise that I think is worth reading:

"It means disagreeing with someone and still respecting their humanity. Sure people can suck, but they are still people. It means taking the high road, not being insulting. It means keeping your damn chill. People have different opinions. Often offensive opinions, yeah...but the crux of it all is this: compassion is hard. Loving and Respecting differences is hard. It's tiring. And tiresome. But it's never not worth doing. And mistakes will always be made. But always try. L&R isn't a shield. Or an excuse and it's never a weapon. It's a practice. And we practice things that we suck at, because we pretty much all suck at it. It doesn't matter what you believe, you can be decent. And it's hard, probably the hardest thing to be. Besides like an acrobat maybe." - Ian

uh...where has anyone ever compared him to hitler here?

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
For further clarification: all discussion of Brandon's appearance in Colin Moriarty's podcast must remain in this thread, as we generally frown upon giving his content a platform. We're opening an exception to that as this one episode is relevant to the Easy Allies community.

Any defense of Colin's previously publicized social views will still not be allowed, however, as they pretty clearly go against our Terms of Service and Rules.

If you have any doubts on this subject, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Thank you for keeping it civil, everyone.
Is this a Reset Era Mod or a Mod for this Easy Allies page? I'm curious if mention of Colin is banned from ResetEra or the EZA part of the forum.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone has, nor was I inferring so. I was hopefully clearly stating my opinion on the guy.

um... thats not what he was saying

"He isn't exactly Hitler either."

ok, not a lot of people are. saying that doesn't tell me much. what i imagine luke wants to refute is that he's racist or sexist as that's probably the worst that has been levied at him here. if that's the case why not just say that?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that wouldn't be that much of a spin considering that you already play as Toadette for the middle third of the first game.

Toadette took the lead in some levels in the first game. I don't think there's a reason to put her as the main character... or are you thinking a Donkey Kong Country 2 thing?

I'm aware you played as her, I mean I actually think the game will be called "Captain Toadette's Treasure Tracker", and there will be co-op with both captains, but Toadette will be the lead of the two this time.

Skywalker

Oct 27, 2017
USA
"He isn't exactly Hitler either."

ok, not a lot of people are. saying that doesn't tell me much. what i imagine luke wants to refute is that he's racist or sexist as that's probably the worst that has been levied at him here. if that's the case why not just say that?

I could have said that, though I felt using someone so universally understood as unworthy of our support seemed a better comparison. The point I was trying to make was that Colin, however crude his comments may have been in the past, is not someone I deem unworthy of my own love and respect. And the way this has been defined by Ian seemed to sum up what that was supposed to mean.

If someone carried a mic in front of my mouth half of my day, with thousands of people listening, I could see myself making similar mistakes as Colin from time to time.

My point is we all make mistakes, some of us are even bad company. However, we should love and respect everyone. Even if they do not acknowledge their own faults. We have never even met this man. Yet we are so quick to judge. This is my own opinion.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I remember going to Toys R' Us with my Grandma, and her picking up Pac-Man 2 based on brand recognition. She was pretty disappointed. And I was too, by extension. I wasn't that familiar with Pac-Man, but neither of us knew how to play the game.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If someone carried a mic in front of my mouth half of my day, with thousands of people listening, I could see myself making similar mistakes as Colin from time to time.

My point is we all make mistakes, some of us are even bad company. However, we should love and respect everyone. Even if they do not acknowledge their own faults. We have never even met this man. Yet we are so quick to judge. This is my own opinion.
Would you also double down on those mistakes and attack anyone who criticized them?

Skywalker

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Would you also double down on those mistakes and attack anyone who criticized them?

I dont think I can say, I am not perfect. It depends on what I said. I hope I am not sounding pretentious either. Like I said, I understand why people are upset. But I just think love and respect as a trademark of the community should stay that way, and not be instead selectively applied to only the ones who agree with us

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
since this thread's been derailed for almost 30 pages:

how about that SIFTD Patreon? they're about to finish their third fill month under their ridiculous "maintain operations" goal

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I remember going to Toys R' Us with my Grandma, and her picking up Pac-Man 2 based on brand recognition. She was pretty disappointed. And I was too, by extension. I wasn't that familiar with Pac-Man, but neither of us knew how to play the game.

It definitely looks like the kind of game few people ever learned how to play. I don't think I could have figured this thing out as a kid

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think I can say, I am not perfect. It depends on what I said. I hope I am not sounding pretentious either. Like I said, I understand why people are upset. But I just think love and respect as a trademark of the community should stay that way, and not be instead selectively applied to only the ones who agree with us
I think I'm a pretty reasonable person. If someone attempts to understand why their words or actions hurt others and work to correct it, I'm not going to hold a grudge against them (though I also don't blame the actual targets if they do). I'm also not going to bother to respect someone who clearly doesn't care what their words or actions do. I like Ian, but if that is his opinion, I disagree. I personally think those who are targeted deserve better than to have that behavior accepted.

Skywalker

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think I'm a pretty reasonable person. If someone attempts to understand why their words or actions hurt others and work to correct it, I'm not going to hold a grudge against them (though I also don't blame the actual targets if they do). I'm also not going to bother to respect someone who clearly doesn't care what their words or actions do. I like Ian, but if that is his opinion, I disagree. I personally think those who are targeted deserve better than to have that behavior accepted.

I think there is nothing wrong with that stance. I should say, I do not accept Colin's behavior as appropriate. Hopefully that is something that I have made clear.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. I respect Ian and feel bad having to disagree on this but that stance seems entirely flimsy. You could extend it to the white nationalists at Charlottesville and all of a sudden it's basically saying we need to love and respect people filled with hatred who show no love or respect for others.

In essence it's also asking us to show love and respect to Colin despite his total disrespect towards transgender people. It legitimizes some of Colins frankly awful comments.

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a relevant topic, I don't see how it's a derail.
1) 99% of the discussion has had nothing to do with EZA, just about the person whose show Jones went on
2) Easy Allies didn't go on that show, Jones did
3) you could argue it's relevant it was discussed on Cup of Jones, but the people that made it a substantial part of that episode are the same people posting here
4) the potential of another some bad apples from elsewhere toxifying (is that a word? that's not a word) this community, which is what a lot of you seem to be worried about the most, is increased when you keep poking at them over and over by making the same points over and over that they clearly don't/won't agree with. take the high road.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
1) 99% of the discussion has had nothing to do with EZA, just about the person whose show Jones went on
3) you could argue it's relevant it was discussed on Cup of Jones, but the people that made it a substantial part of that episode are the same people posting here
4) the potential of another some bad apples from elsewhere toxifying (is that a word? that's not a word) this community, which is what a lot of you seem to be worried about the most, is increased when you keep poking at them over and over by making the same points over and over that they clearly don't/won't agree with. take the high road.

don't worry. the video is public in another day so we can pick up the discussion there

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Part of it is also people coming in and asking the same questions over and over that make people answer them again.
--------------
People that go the "we need to love and respect everyone" route I want a concise answer on how long I have to try putting up with assholes before I'm in the clear to give up. Because apparently there is the duty on the people getting shit on to engage to be the better people. Apparently it wasn't enough giving Colin 20+ chances over years.
Apparently it seems to be my eternal duty to put up with Colin's crap. Love that L+R one way street. Where can I apply being a sole recipient for it while I can continue shitting on everyone? I'm getting to the point where I want to be treated like him.

Last edited:

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
All I can really say after seeing the impact this decision has had on the EZA community here and elsewhere is that I hope Jones at least thinks it was worth it.

I'm still gonna wait for a good summary of what was said on the podcast but simply going by the way the whole situation was handled my opinion of Jones has sadly taken quite a hit.

Feels bad man, as they say.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, people keep asking for receipts despite the forum's stance.

Jones is the Editor-in-Chief and owner (co-owner?) of EZA. Whether it's a personal appearance or not, it's going to reflect on EZA.

Jones represents EZA, what he does is relevant. If Jeff Gerstmann of GB or Austin Walker of Waypoint decided to go on Colin's show by themself, not mentioning it at all on their respective sites, it would still be relevant to those communities. Luckily that won't be an issue since both have made their stances on people like Colin clear over the years.

I'm not particularly worried about that since it's pretty clear there is a significant chunk there already. I just don't think Colin needs or deserves a signal boost from Jones. Talking about it here isn't going to affect their actions one way or another (except in the instances of Colin posting screenshots on his twitter feed).

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Part of it is also people coming in and asking the same questions over and over that make people answer them again.
--------------
People that go the the "we need to love and respect everyone" route I want a concise answer on how long I have to try putting up with assholes before I'm in the clear to give up. Because apparently there is the duty on the people getting shit on to engage to be the better people. Apparently it wasn't enough giving Colin 20+ chances over years.
Apparently it seems to be my eternal duty to put up with Colin's crap. Love that L+R one way street. Where can I apply being a sole recipient for it while I can continue shitting on everyone? I'm getting to the point where I want to be treated like him.
Personally, I wouldn't tell you to put up with assholes. If it's not something you are ready to do, I absolutely won't judge you for it. As I said earlier, it can be frustrating as hell and often also entirely fruitless. But I'm also not judging people who still try to get along and have discussions (like Jones). I do it too, because it's easier for me since I'm not the one disrespected. I try to use my priviledge for something good.

And ofcourse I have my limits too. As I already gave few examples from my work who I engage with, there's also someone who I never even greet. Because I absolutely despise him, because he is a part of an actual hate group. So there's a limit to my L&R too. I'd hope someone or something could make him change (it would be better for everyone), but I'm not that person.

Edit: If anyone is wondering why my workplace has so many bigots. It's because I volunteer in my local recycling centre to support my studies. It also offers rehabilititave work for people with long time unemployments. So we have a lot of people with low education, alcohol and drug abuse, mental health problems or people otherwise down on their luck. Here it's often people who struggle themselves that easily adapt hateful rhetorics or just people with narrow world view because of lack of education and culture. Bigotry is not limited to just these people ofcourse.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I could have said that, though I felt using someone so universally understood as unworthy of our support seemed a better comparison. The point I was trying to make was that Colin, however crude his comments may have been in the past, is not someone I deem unworthy of my own love and respect. And the way this has been defined by Ian seemed to sum up what that was supposed to mean.

If I had a mic with me, I wouldn't accidentally say racist things. And if I did say something offensive, likely born out of ignorance, when confronted and corrected by people who know more than me in that regard, I surely wouldn't double down and act as if I'm correct.

We are not like Colin. We might all make mistakes. But we sure as hell don't handle them the same way.

Skywalker

Oct 27, 2017
USA
People that go the "we need to love and respect everyone" route I want a concise answer on how long I have to try putting up with assholes before I'm in the clear to give up. Because apparently there is the duty on the people getting shit on to engage to be the better people. Apparently it wasn't enough giving Colin 20+ chances over years.

Can we treat assholes with dignity without condoning their behavior? Isn't that the higher road? The higher road sucks, and it is undoubtedly more difficult. But the reward is not to be an asshole. Even if no one else knows it but you

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Can we treat assholes with dignity without condoning their behavior? Isn't that the higher road? The higher road sucks, and it is undoubtedly more difficult. But the reward is not to be an asshole. Even if no one else knows it but you
I can for a while but not forever. I still want my concise answer so you think people that get shit on just have to treat everyone with more L+R than they ever would receive themselves forever?

Skywalker

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can for a while but not forever. I still want my concise answer so you think people that get shit on just have to treat everyone with more L+R than they ever would receive themselves forever?

I believe what I believe because I think people can change. This may be naive, but it has worked for me in my own life. The man who can treat others with dignity as he is shat on is a man with the true power. We all are given a choice to who we want to be. I just think in an industry so ripe with vitriol over every little thing the EZA community has something truly good as their source and trademark in L&R

I recognize this sounds like I am preaching from some high horse but I think it is really true. Treating others with dignity doesn't mean that everything they are about is legitamized, it means that you have character

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe what I believe because I think people can change. This may be naive, but it has worked for me in my own life. The man who can treat others with dignity as he is shat on is a man with the true power. We all are given a choice to who we want to be. I just think in an industry so ripe with vitriol over every little thing the EZA community has something truly good as their source and trademark in L&R

I recognize this sounds like I am preaching from some high horse but I think it is really true. Treating others with dignity doesn't mean that everything they are about is legitamized, it means that you have character

Do you think people in this community want Jones to be rude towards Colin? I don't understand why you keep stating we should treat him with dignity. The issue was not that Brandon is nice to Colin or is on good terms with him, it was regarding an official collaboration between EZA/Jones and Colin.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

Yes or no, don't dodge the question? I want a clear answer the people that always ask the people getting shit on to aspire to some saintly conduct are often the wants that never want to be held up to that standard themselves. So you're saying I can be a shitbag to you forever and can always ask for L+R back to be unconditionally received?

Oct 27, 2017

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
So the conversation wasn't even really about games but just a way for Colin to legitimize himself?

Fan-fucking-tastic.
If this is the case, I imagine/hope that Brandon's takeaway from all this is "well, this was a big mistake" and doesn't do it again, and most of that summary reads like Brandon trying to be a gracious guest while still pushing back and standing ground on his personal stances, which seems to be the opposite of Colin's in most of the examples given. If that's the case, I'm honestly fine with it. I'm all for people fucking up, even fucking up big, and learning from their error. That's how you grow both as people and as an organization.

It's if you make that same mistake a second time that it starts to become a problem.

Deleted member 13250

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You wanna debunk it? I'm fairly certain him mocking gender identity was a thing that happened.
Pretty sure this is a lie. What if I told you he actually votes for and defends transgender rights?
I still want my concise answer so you think people that get shit on just have to treat everyone with more L+R than they ever would receive themselves forever?
I mean reasonably I think if someone is harassed that much they should report it and not engage with the person anymore RATHER than enter into a hate fest and stoop to their level.
So you're saying I can be a shitbag to you forever and can always ask for L+R back to be unconditionally received?
I mean I'm not saying that, I think thats what the bible says tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.