• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
We generally see that physical games are leaked or even officially available couple of days in advance. And people who pre-order digitally have to wait exactly till the date of release. Considering that with digital sales publishers see more money and no threat of second hand sales. Won't it be fair if digital pre-orders unlock 24-48 hours in advance? It will be an added bonus for people considering digital purchase over physical and would push some people to get it digitally. Thoughts?

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
What's the point of release dates if you're just going to break them?

Also, retailers would get upset if publishers started doing this. More people would buy digitally and it would harm physical shops. Not a good idea.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
It's been known to happen, but is usually isolated to special editions and could largely be considered a final beta or load test.

OP
OP
Buzz

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
What's the point of release dates if you're just going to break them?

Also, retailers would get upset if publishers started doing this. More people would buy digitally and it would harm physical shops. Not a good idea.
Well retailers break the date very frequently themselves, don't they?

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm eagerly awaiting the day where we take this a few steps further. Games go "gold" and are ready to be printed at least a month before they hit store shelves. I'd love to be in a world where digital versions of the game go out a few weeks before the retail copies. Basically what movies do right now between digital and physical releases.

The biggest downsides here are damaging retail partnerships, and developers needing to push back "gold" status. The latter is based on most games getting some kind of 1.1 patch for day one of release.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Activision did something like this with CTR, the game unlocked at 9PM of the day before.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Certain services will give a preload option and also follow the new zealand option of midnight releases which you can use a VPN to unlock early.

So it's already unlocking early for plenty of titles, which isn't an option of physical. Not to mention certain publishers are/were already charging more for a special edition of a title that comes with playing 24/48 hours early like you are suggesting. Why would they leave money on the table when they can charge you more to play early?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I'd be a total sucker for that. That would finally be a reason to preorder something.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
We generally see that physical games are leaked or even officially available couple of days in advance. And people who pre-order digitally have to wait exactly till the date of release. Considering that with digital sales publishers see more money and no threat of second hand sales. Won't it be fair if digital pre-orders unlock 24-48 hours in advance? It will be an added bonus for people considering digital purchase over physical and would push some people to get it digitally. Thoughts?

Someone was doing this.

All it really means is that people getting that early unlock don't have access to the wider day 1 patch and will have to deal with more bugs. Or, if it's multiplayer, it moves them out of the beginners pool faster by having those who care about the game a lot cannibalize each other before the greater casual pool shows up.

For the developers and publishers, there's not really a great reason to do this.

Well retailers break the date very frequently themselves, don't they?

They're not supposed to. I remember a few local mom and pops getting fined for this back in the day.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
For region free consoles like the switch you can buy the games on the australian e-shop and they'll unlock many hours earlier depending on what time zone you're in.
I find that kinda unfair, I think all should unlock at the time the earliest store unlocks.

OP
OP
Buzz

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
Certain services will give a preload option and also follow the new zealand option of midnight releases which you can use a VPN to unlock early.

So it's already unlocking early for plenty of titles, which isn't an option of physical. Not to mention certain publishers are/were already charging more for a special edition of a title that comes with playing 24/48 hours early like you are suggesting. Why would they leave money on the table when they can charge you more to play early?

I guess that's one drawback where publishers like EA nickel and dime us for this.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some publishers games in Europe already do similar things where digital releases on Tuesday and physical on Friday.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
It's already been done before. The most recent is Sega's Judgment on the PS4. Digital preorders for the game on the PS store get to play it days earlier.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Actually, this is becoming common practice in the indie scene as many cases they cannot afford to make physical releases intially. Usually, this means the physical release come some months later after they have made some money, but I have seen some cases recently where the physical release was within a month of the original digital release, likely because of large preorder numbers.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Eh preload is enough as it is imo, if you move the already arbitrary date to an earlier arbitrary date, that just becomes the date you have to wait for everytime so nothing changes lol