• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This feels a bit like asking how we managed to play all those N64 games that ran at around 15 FPS. The answer is that there was no other way to play them. I don't think, however, it is hard to answer the question of whether those games were better or worse for having run at 15 FPS instead of 30 FPS or 60 FPS.

N64 was 20ish years ago, GTA V was 5 years ago. Not even remotely a fair comparison.

15 fps in the 90s was terrible then and is still terrible. We tolerated it then because we had too.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell thats frames . I thought it was ms response times wtf 10 frames is at best 1/6 of a second that's like 166 ms and almost always worse . It's like playing on bad lag ...

Spring

Oct 31, 2017
I can definitely tell, and i'm usually sensitive to games that don't offer tight controls, but it honestly took my like an hour or two to get fully used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe it's because the design of the game has you doing a lot of fairly slow tasks. Like you aren't climbing buildings or scaling mountains or parkouring around and melee'ing dudes where the slow/weighty controls might have stood out more. Rockstar might have lucked out in that respect due to their game design.

Yeah, I felt the same way. The delay whether it's intentional or not, it actually helped me with enjoying the game more.

Assassin's Creed used to be better with their control until they changed it in Origins and Odyssey. Now you just run like Superman and it makes the character very floaty and arcadey. I actually hated how they changed that in Origins and Odyssey.

RDR2's input response time is absolutely fine. It goes well with the game design and it's very fitting.

kittoo

Banned
Apr 20, 2018
While I don't mind the lagginess in the controls of RDR2 as much, I absolutely and totally understand why someone would not like it. Same goes for all the 'chores' in the game like eating on time, taking care of horse and camp, moving slowly and doing mundane things. I don't mind them but understand why someone just won't stand it.
Actually, I won't have minded if these things were removed either way.

leehom

Nov 30, 2017
Thought the input lag was just me. Good to know others are experiencing it as well.

Is this something Rockstar will fix in the future or do they tend to write this off as a design preference?

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really feel grabbed by Destiny 2, but seeing that graph in the OP explains why it was head-shot city wielding a hand cannon at 144fps.

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
it's so fucking insufferable. every criticism leveled against this game becomes somehow a fault of us for not understanding Rockstar's mastery or some bullshit.

Remember when people said the game was boring and so slow and tedious and people responded with, "You must be 12 who only enjoys fast-paced blah blah blah" or some other bullcrap..?

the input lag should be the moment you thought of an action and the motor movement your thumb made to move the character, just like how it is in real life.

This is the truth

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
The "lag" makes it more realistic than your responsive games. Just count the frames between you wanting to jog and you actually jogging and you'll see.

You mistake slow animations with response time. The chart above gives the number of frames between frames and "any kind of response". That would mean that it takes way to many frames before the character even flinches to start to jog.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
You mistake slow animations with response time. The chart above gives the number of frames between frames and "any kind of response". That would mean that it takes way to many frames before the character even flinches to start to jog.

Think the poster is being sarcastic lol

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Saying adding more input lag improves realism simply just makes zero sense. I mean how is that even debatable?

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
So, what are your thoughts on the other ND employee chiming in to say the game controls poorly?
The same thoughts I have for anyone else who say the game controls poorly.

Change the garbage default settings. I have made a very detailed post on the best adjustments that make this game feel much better to play.

If only I was not a junior, I'd make a thread about it so it'd get more attention.

And this entire thread is ridiculous, because as I was arguing with you in the other thread, the input lag on this one action is not consistent with all other actions in the game.

And if someone is willing to get scientific with it, that would be great because I know for damn certain I'm right about that.

Last edited:

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Is honestly pretty funny the amount of mental gymnastics people are doing just to not taint the perfection that is RDR2, "I enjoy unresponsive games", "People want every game to be the same!", "It's because of immersion".

i'm considering it the gaming version of 'stockholm syndrome': 'rockstar syndrome'. inordinately high number of incidences among game reviewers, in particular :) ...

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
it's so fucking insufferable. every criticism leveled against this game becomes somehow a fault of us for not understanding Rockstar's mastery or some bullshit.

Remember when people said the game was boring and so slow and tedious and people responded with, "You must be 12 who only enjoys fast-paced blah blah blah" or some other bullcrap..?

the input lag should be the moment you thought of an action and the motor movement your thumb made to move the character, just like how it is in real life.

Amen. It's been pretty frustrating to engage with people just flat out denying all criticism(and I mean deny not even engage and just disagree and showcase how maybe certain criticism is misguided, it's just a general attitude of if you don't like this you don't get it) and pretending the game is perfect in every way as if their life depended on it.
I like the game a lot myself but because of that I would love to engage in dissecting the experience more but a majority of what I'm reading is "this is the best, greatest, etc" it's as if people are so scared of giving the game it's rightful credit of being able to stand tall despite its flaws resulting in discussion of such shallow nature that does the game insane injustice. If all people have to say about the game that it's great it really makes me question if anyone has engaged with any of it.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Assassin's Creed used to be better with their control until they changed it in Origins and Odyssey. Now you just run like Superman and it makes the character very floaty and arcadey. I actually hated how they changed that in Origins and Odyssey.

RDR2's input response time is absolutely fine. It goes well with the game design and it's very fitting.

So you don't like tight and responsive controls?

Change the garbage default settings. I have made a very detailed post on the best adjustments that make this game feel much better to play.

Maxing out the sensitivity and zeroing out the dead zone doesn't remove the input lag or the excessively long animations required to do just about anything in the game. Rockstar simply decided to prioritize presentation over playability and no amount of tweaking will change that.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

What a bad take from that Naughty Dog animator.
393085130219978752.png

ridiculous and embarrassing.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

If only I was not a junior, I'd made a thread about it so it could get more attention.

And this entire thread is ridiculous, because as I was arguing with you in the other thread, the input lag on this one action is not consistent with all other actions in the game.

And if someone is willing to get scientific with it, that would be great because I know for damn certain I'm right about that.

So if an animator from ND praises the game, it means a lot coming from them.
But if a designer from ND criticizes the game, they are uninformed and are probably playing on garbage default settings?
Hmmm....

I still find it hard to believe the idea that the input lag is more than halved for other actions compared to this one as you seem to think,
but if someone does a test similar to the one I posted for GTAIV it would certainly be interesting.

If you end up being right I guess I will have to stop blaming all those trees I ran into on the unresponsive controls.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
N64 was 20ish years ago, GTA V was 5 years ago. Not even remotely a fair comparison.

15 fps in the 90s was terrible then and is still terrible. We tolerated it then because we had too.
Grand Thef Auto controlled terribly, and it still controls terribly.

I don't understand how people can play these things. I bought GTA V for a second time when this gen rolled around, thinking the frame rate boost would make it feel better (couldn't even bring myself to finish the first mission on PS3). It's a lot better, but it's still ass.

I decided I probably wouldn't enjoy RDR either since from what I've heard movement is even more awkward.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
So you don't like tight and responsive controls?

Maxing out the sensitivity and zeroing out the dead zone doesn't remove the input lag or the excessively long animations required to do just about anything in the game. Rockstar simply decided to prioritize presentation over playability and no amount of tweaking will change that.
Sure, the animations will still be there. There's no getting around that.

But the concerns with bad aiming / combat ARE easily fixed. Along with the complaints about tapping X/A to run.

Those are major things that hinder this game's playability, especially for the extremely gameplay-critical community here on Era.

You're never gonna make Arthur feel like a Dark Souls character though, and that's just how this game was designed.

Knowing the tastes on this board, this game was never going to be popular/praised here. That's why you see so many posters asking "how the hell did this game get a 97 meta".

Because game critics take more into account than Arthur feeling like a JRPG character when he moves.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Sure, the animations will still be there. There's no getting around that.

But the concerns with bad aiming / combat ARE easily fixed. Along with the complains about tapping X/A to run.

Those are major things that hinder this game's playability, especially for the extremely critical community here on Era.

You're never gonna make Arthur feel like a Dark Souls character though, and that's just how this game was designed.

Knowing the tastes on this board, this game was never going to be popular/praised here. That's why you see so many posters asking "how the hell did this game get a 97 meta".

Because game critics take more into account than Arthur feeling like a JRPG character when he moves.

I'm not sure why you keep saying and posting your settings like they suddenly make the controls fantastic. At best they go from unplayable to just tolerable.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh. I don't think I've seen a game so acclaimed disliked so much. Input lag, too realistic, etc.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Weird, I never even noticed.

Just went back and played a bit, and I guess if I'm specifically looking for it I'd notice it, but otherwise it feels fine to me.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Wouldn't changing the default deadzone setting change the results substantially? The default setting is really bad.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
So if an animator from ND praises the game, it means a lot coming from them.
But if a designer from ND criticizes the game, they are uninformed and are probably playing on garbage default settings?
Hmmm....

I still find it hard to believe the idea that the input lag is more than halved for other actions compared to this one as you seem to think,
but if someone does a test similar to the one I posted for GTAIV it would certainly be interesting.

If you end up being right I guess I will have to stop blaming all those trees I ran into on the unresponsive controls.

I'm going to look around and see if I can find a suitable camera to do some GTAV PC testing. On PC we can use a keyboard and bind an action key to a keyboard key that has an LED indicator so we can get some more precise indication of switch activation compared to an analog stick or thumb pressing a button.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If only I was not a junior, I'd make a thread about it so it'd get more attention.

Why do people claim that changing the settings is some sort of miracle cure for the game?

I've done all that and the game still feels bad.

And no, it's not just flicking the left stick.

Everything in this game feels slow, heavy and unresponsive.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Why do people claim that changing the settings is some sort of miracle cure for the game?

I've done all that and the game still feels bad.

And no, it's not just flicking the left stick.

Everything in this game feels slow, heavy and unresponsive.
They are not a miracle cure.

They do not make Arthur suddenly feel like a FromSoft character.

They DO however fix major issues with the playability of the game, mostly in terms of combat/aiming and getting rid of tap-X-to-run.

They make a big difference. Enough to make the game playable and fun with free aim + no aim assist. I played through the entire game that way.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's relevant to bring up GTAV though. Not that I think Rockstar have improved their formula since then, but because GTAV is still played by millions of people, and still sells by the boatload, so you have a huge chunk of the consumer base who are sort of conditioned on these kinds of controls, and are less likely to have it be a sore spot for them with RDR2.

I don't find it surprising at all that games with bad controls are so easy that the super mass market can play them. Games with precise responsive controls tend to ask more of players by design, and therefore must have impeccable response to player input to avoid feeling broken and unfair to the player.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Doesn't everyone on GTA Online just use auto aim? If anything that makes it more appealing to the mass market.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Really stupid take. Naughty Dog's game designer disagrees and gave a more apt response

I didn't know Naughty Dog employed 13 year olds because this is some early teenage level argument. "Jealous devs".... Lol. It wouldn't surprise me if he was also a console warrior.

How does a high review score suddenly mean that a professional developer criticising a game is only doing so out of malice?