• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am used to RDR2 now but i went back to finish Ass Creed Origins, had a few missions left and WOOO Boy, I loved how fast i could move

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I asked if he could test Killzone 2 but he's still waiting for the game to respond.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is it? You think everyone who's come into this thread and watched the video in the OP didn't just assume that there was a half second delay on each and every action?

Because that's what I did a day ago when this video popped up. If I wouldn't have come back to the thread and read more impressions and input, that's certainly what I would have left with. That every action has a half second delay.
I never said that anyone is claiming anything.

However, watching the video, and taking it at face value, it would be easy for many to assume that this input lag is respresentative of RDR2 as a whole.

It is not. That's literally all I'm pointing out.

I'm not here to defend anything, I'm not here to apologize for the bad input lag when starting up the walking.

I'm merely trying to clarify things that need clarified.
I think any assumptions are just those. I would hope that anyone who watches the video would be able to see that the test was with movement and nothing else.

That said, my view, being sensitive to lag, is that it's there across the game, possibly to varying degrees, but that would need further testing.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
People saying holding X while moving lessens the input lag, well....

That's some bullshit.

There's still input lag. The only difference is the animation to move is much faster.

You can quickly flick the left stick by itself and Arthur will not move at all. When holding X this doesn't happen. Can we please stop pretending like anyone who has problems with the limited scope(leading to wide claims) of the video in the OP is just blindly defending the game and burying their head in the sand.

WeteHa

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Not gonna lie, I didn't even notice any input lag in RDR2, i love the way arthur controls.

You guys want an example of ''Heavy, realistic yet responsive'' control?

Wanna hear a game with slow heavy movement and yet little to no input delay?

Monster Hunter: World
On the other hand, I hate the way MH:W controls to the point that i can't be bothered to play the game.

Different tastes and all, you know?

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
I asked if he could test Killzone 2 but he's still waiting for the game to respond.

vVkoPPU.gif

I am really glad that this topic got so big. Within the first couple of days i feared that not enough people cared.
And, yeah the game feels pretty bad to play...intentional or not is besides the point.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can quickly flick the left stick by itself and Arthur will not move at all. When holding X this doesn't happen. Can we please stop pretending like anyone who has problems with the limited scope(leading to wide claims) of the video in the OP is just blindly defending the game and burying their head in the sand.

It's a response to the some of the posts early on in this thread.

I tried it. I flicked the stick while running or moving on the horse. There seems to be noticeable input lag. It was a response to a few saying the video is misleading and this can be proven if you hold X before flicking the stick.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I need a good non-spoilery video like Lowe's but with the right analog stick for the aiming. Anyone?

That will be more precise for determining general input lag since there are no slow animations involved that are also winding up slowly.

And frankly, I'm more intersted in that information because it is more critical for for the gameplay imo.

lol

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Ugh...people still don't understand the difference between input delay and slow movement, we are NOT asking for a fast pacing twitch shooter, we like the heavy control as much as you do. We just want the game to feel more responsive with the SAME EXACT CONTROL.

It's like you can have a slow truck that starts really slow, but the moment you hit the gas you will feel the truck moving, however slow it might be.

The problem here isn't the truck being slow or the acceleration being slow, the problem here is that the first few second you hit the gas, NOTHING happens, it takes a while for the truck to even start being slow.

On the other hand, I hate the way MH:W controls to the point that i can't be bothered to play the game.

You hate it, so? There's still no input delay, what even is the point of your post? That ''because I prefer RDR2 control to MHW therefore I actually prefer input delay to no input delay''?

Trust me, you will LOVE RDR2 control even more without any input delay, it's not about how you like or dislike the control, it's the input delay being present.

We are not talking about how good the game feels after your character starts reacting to your button command, we are talking about how long it takes for your button command to register.

Not gonna lie, I didn't even notice any input lag in RDR2, i love the way arthur controls.

Well I love the way Arthur controls too, but I hate the input lag here, do you even understand what I am talking about? Can you even comprehend these words?

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
my friend is probably making a video to show me that he as no input lag with a raijou gamepad...

i'm honestly curious because he is a "pro" fps gamer and the lack of input lag in his playthrought is very strange...

(sorry for the poor english)

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017

I'm not sure how input lag is considered taste. Do you also play your online games with a 200ms ping or forcefully try to increase input lag by switching tv settings?

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 has the camera locked to over-the-shoulder, right?

The stick does forward/back/strafe rather than 360 degree movement?

I'm not sure how input lag is considered taste. Do you also play your online games with a 200ms ping or forcefully try to increase input lag by switching tv settings?
Within certain margins (e.g. the ridiculous ones you suggest), if it doesn't get in the way of gameplay then taste can come into it. Some will like an arcade game's immediate response, others will like to feel like they're influencing a movie in titles like RDR2 so input lag is forgivable.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I just made this.

Button press at Game Frame 2. Action at Game Frame 8

About 6 frames of input lag at 30FPS. Big difference from OP's video and puts more in line with other 30FPS games.

I haven't seen comparisons with other games, but I feel that is a lot of lag for just shooting a weapon.

Like I've googled Destiny and that seems to have about 100ms for shooting and if I'm calculating correctly RD2 has about 250+ms of lag till the gun fires. I dont know maybe it is in line with other 3rd person shooters though.

WeteHa

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
You hate it, so? There's still no input delay, what even is the point of your post? That ''because I prefer RDR2 control to MHW therefore I actually prefer input delay to no input delay''?

Trust me, you will LOVE RDR2 control even more without any input delay.

The point of my post is to show you that just because you think something is superior does not actually make it automatically superior.
Like i said, I didn't notice the input lag.

Trust you? No thank you, everything I've read from you in the RDR thread and in this topic suggests you are a less than pleasant person to interact with, so I'd rather not.

Edit: yep, your edit just proves my point.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
I just made this.

About 6 frames of input lag at 30FPS. Big difference from OP's video and puts more in line with other 30FPS games.

What kind of useless test is this? The initial tester was testing character movement and you're testing something completely different and trying to equate the two....

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The point of my post is to show you that just because you think something is superior does not actually make it automatically superior.
Like i said, I didn't notice the input lag.

Trust you? No thank you, everything I've read from you in the RDR thread and in this topic suggests you are a less than pleasant person to interact with, so I'd rather not.

Edit: yep, your edit just proves my point.

I didn't ''think'' minimum input delay is superior, it's a fact.

Minimum input delay is always better than noticeable input delay, doesn't matter how slow or how fast the game is, even if you are controlling a ship there shouldn't be any input delay, you can make the ship turn really slow and need lots of time to even start turning but the moment we push the analog to command you should be able to feel like you are controlling something, be it audio cue or ship vibrating.

Also It's hard to be a pleasant person when I am talking people trying to downplay & dismiss real issues, I absolutely hate this ''whatevar, seems fine to me mistah'' attitude.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just made this.

Quoting for new page. I've seen some people downplay my comparison as unimportant because it's shooting. These people have obviously no idea what this thread is about then. Goal posts have been moved. If Digital Foundry decides to do a more professional video on this I wonder if these people will also downplay that as well.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Quoting for new page. I've seen some people downplay my comparison as unimportant because it's shooting. These people have obviously no idea what this thread is about then. Goal posts have been moved. If Digital Foundry decides to do a more professional video on this I wonder if these people will also downplay that as well.

Lol a DF video will be the opposite of what you want to prove and you will be the one trying to downplay it.

It really isn't. Just stop being such a condescending jerk.

I don't care about being a nice person, I do however really care if you even understood the difference between slow movement and input delay? or do you still think we are criticizing the control instead of the delay?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol a DF video will be the opposite of what you want to see and you will be the one trying to downplay it.
If there as as big of an issue as people in this thread make it out to be, DF would have already mentioned it. The fact that they didn't just means they didn't think input lag was anything out of the ordinary.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Firing a gun is the most common and precise method of calculating input lag in a video game. I'm sure you can make a much better test, thought.
It's the most precise method of calculating input lag for firing a gun in a game. It's not the most precise method for calculating average input lag because you're assuming that the input lag is the same for all actions in the game. It's already been established that it's not especially in RDR2. If you want to actually refute the op, replicate the exact test in the original video and present your findings, then we can have a proper discussion. Otherwise, please stop with the false equivalency. We don't need anymore attempts to derail the thread.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the game really shows its awful controls when you get into arthur's little tent area in the camp and it's such an ordeal trying to get him to sleep or shave or pick up an item in the camp. it's like that episode of spongebob where he's trying to get patrick to open the lid and he puts his hand everywhere else except the lid

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Firing a gun is the most common and precise method of calculating input lag in a video game. I'm sure you can make a much better test, thought.

There's no input delay when firing a gun (would be literally unplayable if so) but there's BIG input delay when moving your character around, which is way more common than shooting, you move more than you shoot in this game btw.

Also, just to prove there's input lag, try turning 180 with Arthur.

Go to 3rd person mode, stand still, look forward, then pull back left analog stick just a moment and let go (almost as if you are pulling a trigger but with thumb), see how long it takes for him to even start turning, the time between you pulling back the stick and Arthur starts turning is the so called input delay.

Push the left analog stick forward to turn another 180, do it back and forth, and tell me there's no input lag here.

(Don't try to prove this post wrong if you don't even have the game, let's be clear here. I am STILL PLAYING as we speak.)

Last edited:

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
If there as as big of an issue as people in this thread make it out to be, DF would have already mentioned it. The fact that they didn't just means they didn't think input lag was anything out of the ordinary.
DF do great work but they aren't infallible. They didn't address the HDR issue until someone pointed it out.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Perhaps the price for natural motion euphoria

I hope this is the case and not some stupid gameplay decision. Still bad for gameplay but at least it's not a result of poor gameplay design.

but on the other hand, this means there's basically no fix.

Well, I don't expect them to fix this anyway even if they can. Rockstar do not care about feedback whatsoever. Like I said, I will change my avatar to a pile of dogshit for a month straight if they did patch this out. You can see how much I don't trust them.

Last edited:

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
People would probably call me a Red Dead 2 hater if I didn't have this avatar, just so you know I am actually loving the game, not hating it. I am still playing it everyday.

I just want the same control, which feels great btw, to be more responsive, is that too much as ask?

The input delay is real here, there's no bullshit. We are asking for a better control input, not trying to shit on the game.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rock Star is intentionally make it this way to get character feel heavy. In the video character is standing and it takes awhile to get moving, when you are running and then turn the inputlag is way smaller, and when you move the camera or aim, there is not that big of inputlag.

Last edited:

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
Wow, i dont get the hate for this game. Its slow, just like me. But hey, we are all different, so who am i to say they are wrong?

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I'm getting Killzone two vibes from this thread :)

People defending it, saying its perfect etc...

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
If you take the 40 best games of all time on Metacritic, Rockstar games are the only ones with very noticeable input lag. They really do get a free pass on this.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, the lag sucks. I guess like Bethesda games and bugs, we've become accustomed to Rockstar and shitty mechanics.
Lol yea this is how I feel. I can understand if it isn't for someone individually, but the clunky mechanics are made up for in other aspects for me. Each open world engine and developer has their pros and cons

Playing spiderman after is hilarious. Everything is so much more fluid for movement and combat, but the world is nowhere near as immersive or interactive. I can't even walk in and out of buildings without a load screen.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rockstar games are praised for a variety of things. Easy and fluent control is not one of them. Lol.

I really like the game but there's no way a game should review aswell as it did with laggy control like it has. This video basically disproves the "design decision" excuses people have been making since it launched.

I imagine the PC version at 60fps will feel infinitely better but I ain't waiting now as I'm 20 hours deep and £60 down lol.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I really like the game but there's no way a game should review aswell as it did with laggy control like it has.
Because reviewers take more into account when reviewing a game than Arthur controlling like a JRPG character.

Imagine if Era posters were the ones responsible for making professional reviews.

A game like RDR2 would get a 6 or 7 at the most, which is absolutely laughable. All because Arthur doesn't control like Dark Souls.

In fact, the guy who reviewed the game for Slant magazine (Steven Scaife) is an Era poster.

He gave the game a 7/10. Venture to guess what his main gripes were?

Again, I'm not defending the input lag, or the movement being somewhat sluggish, im pointing out how hyperbolic and ridiculous this site is when it comes to criticism, especially for a game like RDR2 that does so many things right - yet nobody wants to focus on that.

I've seen several people on this board straight up say they won't give this game a chance, simply because they heard it has "bad controls".

Last edited:

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
If you take the 40 best games of all time on Metacritic, Rockstar games are the only ones with very noticeable input lag. They really do get a free pass on this.
They get a free pass with everything. what sustain RDR2 is hype and only that. Fake HDR, Input lag, no online at launch and only beta in november with no details, Blurry version on PS4 Pro with less quality than PS4 version.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because reviewers take more into account when reviewing a game than Arthur controlling like a JRPG character.

Imagine if Era posters were the ones responsible for making professional reviews.

A game like RDR2 would get a 6 or 7 at the most, which is absolutely laughable. All because Arthur doesn't control like Dark Souls.

In fact, the guy who reviewed the game for Slant magazine (Steven Scaife) is an Era poster.

Go figure.

Again, I'm not defending the input lag, or the movement being somewhat sluggish, im pointing out how hyperbolic and ridiculous this site is when it comes to criticism, especially for a game like RDR2 that does so many things right - yet nobody wants to focus on that.
Nobody wants to focus on that? The games been out two weeks and it's already on page ~130 of its second OT.

I've personally played it for nearly 70 hours already and completed it which is why I feel okay about criticising the things I don't like about it.

If you can't accept that people aren't just trolling because how could a game with a 97 metacritic be anything other than perfect!!! maybe this isn't the sort of thread for you.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
They get a free pass with everything. what sustain RDR2 is hype and only that. Fake HDR, Input lag, no online at launch and only beta in november with no details, Blurry version on PS4 Pro with less quality than PS4 version.
So..

Fake HDR: -1
PS4 Pro blurrier than it should be: -1
Online not available at launch: -1
Input lag high on certain actions: -1

RDR2 final score 6/10

- ResetEra

Does that sound closer to what you'd agree with?

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Nobody wants to focus on that? The games been out two weeks and it's already on page ~130 of its second OT.

I've personally played it for nearly 70 hours already and completed it which is why I feel okay about criticising the things I don't like about it.

If you can't accept that people aren't just trolling because how could a game with a 97 metacritic be anything other than perfect!!! maybe this isn't the sort of thread for you.
I've never said it was perfect, friend.

I've gone out of my way to point out it's faults, especially when it comes to controls (default settings in particular).

You clearly are missing my point.