• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Will be fun revisiting these threads in 1 or 2 years when EGS is fucking huge and nobody cares anymore.
If that is the case then it would be cause for sadness.

It essentially means corporate fuckery yields great rewards. It also doesn't meant it will be liked, EA is a successful company that regularly rates high in the most disliked companies in the world.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe with a real backer the show will actually be worth watching attentively instead of being a background listen

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Company does things that companies who want to be competitive do and I don't like it...

Like seriously, what company do you expect doesn't want to spread their influence?

Are you one of those "its competition regardless if the company buys itself out of the competition" people? Then let me say this. What epic are doing isn't competition. Its called buying its way to root out the competition and not making itself a better avenue for its customers. Now if you really wanna call this 'competition', i'd say its the 'who moneyhatts the most' competition where the company which buys out the exclusives, people, devs the most and which forces the consumer to only use its service WINS. I do not want this sort of competition in the PC gaming space. Epic is not welcome. PC ecosystem has been open and non-enforcing due to its audience not accepting paid stuff which SHOULD be free and where consumer choice is king. Right now Epic games is a huge threat to that, thus they'd be repelled at every instance.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and they make videogames.

Videogames.

Its not like they are poluting the planet or something.
That isn't a rating of the harm or benefit to the planet. It is a reflection of their unpopularity within the markets in which they operate. Note that their position in those lists isn't really the issue, it is more that that they're just plain disliked.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
To be fair, it's not just Epic screwing up PC gaming with their store, it's literally all of the major publishers. EA, Activision/Blizzard, Bethesda, and Ubisoft all have their own download managers and launchers, each with their own account system and variable levels of broken interoperability with Steam.

It's not that Steam shouldn't have competition, but installing 6+ separate portals with their own background services, libraries, user accounts, and so on is untenable. It would be like if Spotify suddenly lost every major label, and each major label had their own separate app with incompatible playlists.

Epic isn't solving that problem. They're just becoming another major publisher.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing wrong with what Durante and others have said about PCGamer. People have thought this for literally months on here and been punished with bans sometimes because of their coverage and now the truth comes out and people don't want to accept that they were wrong so are pushing back against the people who are calling it out, trying to reframe the argument to make them look cuh-razy and make another thing punishable.

It's especially telling coming from the former mod who was caught literally trolling the Steam community on this forum until it was forced to turn into something else. Talk about bias.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it's not just Epic screwing up PC gaming with their store, it's literally all of the major publishers. EA, Activision/Blizzard, Bethesda, and Ubisoft all have their own download managers and launchers, each with their own account system and variable levels of broken interoperability with Steam.

It's fine to have an own launcher for your own games. Nobody is complaining that Fortnite is exclusive to the EGS.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
If that is the case then it would be cause for sadness.

It essentially means corporate fuckery yields great rewards. It also doesn't meant it will be liked, EA is a successful company that regularly rates high in the most disliked companies in the world.
I'm a self-declared progressive that has amassed a collection of over 2500+ games supporting a company that also shamelessly sells toxic shit called "FEMINAZI: The Triggering". Corporate fuckery yields great rewards indeed. We are all hypocrites to some extent because nothing we ever engage with will fully align with our preferences. Companies will never be your friends and you make a big mistake "liking" any one of them at all. Don't put corporations on a pedestal - them be called Valve nor Epic. Be wary of them all equally.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
To be clear: you are doubling down on the statement that PC Gamer is giving Epic positive coverage as a direct result of Epic's sponsorship of the E3 PC Gaming Show 2019? Do you have any evidence to back up your outlandish claim?

Since you seem to have no concept of journalism code of ethics, I would encourage your attention to be directed to the Society of Profession Journalists (SPJ) Code of Ethics: https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

Notably, there is a section titled "Act Independently":

These are standard code of ethics that every institution follows, including PC Gamer. There is no evidence to suggest that PC Gamer has violated their responsibility to act independently. Were you to have evidence, I am positive it would be major news to virtually every major gaming news outlet, and they would be eager to report on it. Obviously, you don't have that evidence.

You are comparing not being allowed to push conspiracy theories to a thought-crime. I hope you realize how absurd this leap in logic is. ResetEra has a moderation standard that they behold themselves to in order to ensure healthy discussion. For example, bigotry is banned from this forum. That does not mean that not allowing someone to post bigoted statements is a thought crime. You're still free to have bigoted thoughts, but they aren't welcome nor accepted here.

What you have done is suggest that PC Gamer's coverage is pro-biased because they are receiving funding from Epic for that coverage which is incredibly inflammatory. This is not the same as saying that PC Gamer has a pro-Epic PoV or bias in its coverage. I hope you can see and understand the difference.
All of this is bullshit if you don't at least suspect PC Gamer having some sort of positive bias towards Epic Games.

You can't convince me that PC Gamer is unbiased towards Epic Games, especially with this recent announcement.

Also, whether or not you think PC Gamer didn't violate any 'code of ethics,' their brand of journalism fucking sucks and I won't support it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's kosher for a gaming media outlet to be partnering with a major gaming brand without putting up big honkin' disclaimers in their articles that invoke said brand or its competitors. Surely this isn't a controversial position to take or of a vilifying nature? We expect as much from influencers, of all things.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Epic games is everywhere now. Steam really needs to do something before this gets out of hand..

Valve's best course of action is to wait it out and just focus on what they're doing on Steam. They don't need to take Sweeny's bullshit baits.

Two giant corporations battling it out "Console Warz!" style in the PC gaming landscape would be terrible.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I don't think it's kosher for a media outlet to be partnering with a major gaming brand without putting up big honkin' disclaimers in their articles that invoke said brand or its competitors. Surely this isn't a controversial position to take or of a vilifying nature?

You'd think but some forum posters literally advocate for laissez-faire capitalism for corporations on this topic and others. They literally believe as long as it isn't overtly criminal and proven without a shadow of a doubt, it's all fair and the 'entitled' consumer be damned. "LOL That's just business bruv, and you are being naive" like a real edgelord who knows how the really real world is.

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've played games and shopped from storefronts that offered material rewards for enabling MFA and I can't see evidence of such behavior stunting the growth of the industry. If free games are hobbling GOG or Humble I'd be curious about the evidence to support that.
I'll explain the reference: yesterday displayed a message that read "The Epic Games Store Megasale is happening right now! Sign up for 2FA to get $10 to spend in the store.". I can't tell if handing out store credit for functionally nothing is supreme confidence or supreme desperation.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't announced all companies participating yet
It's buried in the howling pit of wounded fanboys comment section but their community rep had this to say:
g6gx1mj.png

I'm assuming 'minimal involvement' means we won't see new ports announced by Sega at the show.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a self-declared progressive that has amassed a collection of over 2500+ games supporting a company that also shamelessly sells toxic shit called "FEMINAZI: The Triggering". Corporate fuckery yields great rewards indeed. We are all hypocrites to some extent because nothing we ever engage with will fully align with our preferences. Companies will never be your friends and you make a big mistake "liking" any one of them at all. Don't put corporations on a pedestal - them be called Valve nor Epic. Be wary of them all equally.
I'd consider that more in the realm of negligence. Which beats fuckery.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This was absurdly obvious, made even more obvious by the bizarre one sided discussions of the service by PC Gamer.
I'm sure there will be some great games there, many of which are will be artificially exclusive to Epic's store. Just an ever growing list of games I can't get, most of which are quickly made redundant by so many other games available on better services.
Other events will pick up the opportunity to showcase other games

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I'll explain the reference: yesterday displayed a message that read "The Epic Games Store Megasale is happening right now! Sign up for 2FA to get $10 to spend in the store.". I can't tell if handing out store credit for functionally nothing is supreme confidence or supreme desperation.
these types of incentives still feel completely irrelevant to overall market growth though. Companies should do things like this because it's very very hard to convince customers to secure their access to their games without doing so. A $10 coupon doesn't throw a scent of desperation of arrogance to me. Just a deal that helps a customer put their account into an indisputably more secure state. Which is why I brought up the WoW/steamguard examples and why I can probably find other similar deals from companies who don't get called desperate for doing so.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
That's what I think. Wait out the backlash. Normalize their bullshit. Accept begrudgingly. Hope their PR takes root and is perceived as true.
The backlash won't die out. People who game on PC let Microsoft have it when it came to Games for Windows Live (and the Windows Store upon release).

It was effective in that GFWL is no longer a thing and that Microsoft is continuously improving the Windows Store (in a much more-consumer friendly way that Epic I'll add).

Oct 25, 2017
I really cannot believe how apparently nobody at PC Gamer pointed how fucking AWFUL this looks.
It almost doesn't matter anymore whether any of the positive Epic articles were paid for (which I'm confident they weren't) because from now on nobody can take them serious anymore when it comes to Epic.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's fine to have an own launcher for your own games. Nobody is complaining that Fortnite is exclusive to the EGS.

What's "fine"? Legal? Morally ok? "Good for consumers"?

I'm talking mainly about convenience/user-friendliness, and by that standard I don't think it's fine. I think it fractures the user experience and makes PC gaming significantly more complicated than console gaming. It's annoying enough on console when a game requires me to make a game/publisher-specific login rather than use the platform's account system. On PC the fracture is closer to if you had to launch your games from a publisher-specific app in Playstation's "Applications" section rather than from the top menu. And the apps have no awareness of other games in the system, of your friends list, of the party system, etc.

Steam has been working on solving these problems and making PC gaming more cohesive. MS has done work like this, but most gamers agree those efforts have been bad. That's it. Nobody else is trying to make the overall experience of gaming on PC smoother. Just a few massive companies trying to keep more of their profits without regard to the overall experience.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
these types of incentives still feel completely irrelevant to overall market growth though. Companies should do things like this because it's very very hard to convince customers to secure their access to their games without doing so. A $10 coupon doesn't throw a scent of desperation of arrogance to me. Just a deal that helps a customer put their account into an indisputably more secure state. Which is why I brought up the WoW/steamguard examples and why I can probably find other similar deals from companies who don't get called desperate for doing so.
I've never seen any store hand out store credit without expecting the end user to buy something first. Given that it's been advertised in the Fortnite client, that's potentially millions of dollars that Epic's going to have to pay out to other devs (assuming you can't buy V-bucks with the credit). For comparison, last year Valve had a sale whereby you got a $5 discount on your first purchase of $50 or more. Basic maths would reveal that Valve could afford the discount out of their own cut (and they did confirm to developers that they would be wholly funding the promotion out of the store's cut).

I've never seen anyone in the PC space attempt such a transparent loss-leader.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Fine by me. Hopefully we see some sweet PC games and not just Epic gobbling up games that have been previously announced for Steam, which has been like 90 percent of their modus operandi so far.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it took them this long to start accusing people of being gamergaters. I figured it would happen not long after they likened being anti-Tencent with being racist towards China.

This is even funnier when they at same time people on "otherside" were dismissing people's claims that EGS is bad because was NOT available at China at that time with "It does not affect you" (including saying this to persons who actually live in China). And that was cool.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get what you're saying but it's rarely if ever brought up in threads about Microsoft's games or hardware
That was one of the more prominent reasons nobody liked the mandatory Kinect in the initial Xbox One package. Of course, we now live in a world where people actively buy Amazon Echos and Google Home smart-speakers, without concern about who could be potentially listening to the voice recordings, but that's a different discussion.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
You said:

This is a blanket statement that could be applied far beyond the Epic Games Store to all sorts of other topics. "A publication" and "one side of a debate" are broad terms that can apply to a host of circumstances, which is why I raised the WaPo/NYT and the anti-vax movement as a counterexample to your statement. If you intended it for only the Epic Games Store, a simple way to say this is: "It is unethical to only cover one side of the Epic Games Store." Your blanket statement is inaccurate because there are plenty of counter examples in the world where it is ethical.

I think we disagree on the need to specifically spell this out. I don't feel the need to add a mention to my post that " I am referring to issues that any reasonable adult person would consider open to debate".

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen any store hand out store credit without expecting the end user to buy something first.
I mean yes. Obviously. Coupons are meant to incentivize purchases and facilitate recurring revenue from a customer who has cleared the first giant hurdle of all e-commerce, entering a credit card. Every form of marketing from base discounts to virtual tchotchke to affiliate programs very obviously costs money, an equation clearly factored into every steam coupon clogging up my inventory or Wario64 tweet in my timeline. That's why twitch let people renew gift subscriptions at an 80% discount. I expect this from services in 2019 and don't see a cartoonish mustachio'd villain creeping behind a shadowy pillar laughing as I browse such offers. Attributing ulterior motives to this stuff is a big 'yeah no shit' moment, Epic is doing what most big service based companies do.

Epic is swinging really hard with the sheer dollar values involved but if they have those cash reserves I don't see why they shouldn't be swinging for the fences here.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lol thats fine, i still wont buy from egs. Also, pc show is always shit, nothing interesting besides a few shitty pc point and click exclusives

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's disappointing. I've enjoyed the PC Gaming Show over the years but if it's now the Epic Game Store Show there's little point watching it.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
A show punctuated by epic's exclusive announcements. And you know they've got a big one in there.

This is going to be dreadful and I'm not looking forward to it. At least as a long time Linux user, I have a high tolerance for pain.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean yes. Obviously. Coupons are meant to incentivize purchases and facilitate recurring revenue from a customer who has cleared the first giant hurdle of all e-commerce, entering a credit card. Every form of marketing from base discounts to virtual tchotchke to affiliate programs very obviously costs money, an equation clearly factored into every steam coupon clogging up my inventory or Wario64 tweet in my timeline. That's why twitch let people renew gift subscriptions at an 80% discount. I expect this from services in 2019 and don't see a cartoonish mustachio'd villain creeping behind a shadowy pillar laughing as I browse such offers. Attributing ulterior motives to this stuff is a big 'yeah no shit' moment, Epic is doing what most big service based companies do.

Epic is swinging really hard with the sheer dollar values involved but if they have those cash reserves I don't see why they shouldn't be swinging for the fences here.
Frankly, there does come a point where "swinging really hard" does start looking like "is desperate for people to shop at their store".

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
We all know rdr2 will be epic exclusive, so at this point who gives a shit. Epic will keep doing it while they can, at one point it will stop. I will never buy a game from them having an option to do it somewhere else.

So let them do their shit, it all comes back in life.