• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm only 2 hours in though.

Don't have an issue with the story so far. I know that was the big complaint from reviewers. Doesn't exactly seem good but the characters seem interesting enough.

It definitely has me hooked though. Can't wait to play more. I can't see how many people would pick this up and not get their moneys worth with how fun the movement is, and the sheer quantity of content available.

Either way, will see how it goes but first impressions are very positive.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the first game but this isn't making a very good impression on me for the first hour.

There's just so many little frustrations everywhere.

Cheaping out on a controller UI and just slapping a stick controlled cursor in.

Constant need to hold in the horrible R3 button to find any loot. Basically you need to press it in and hold it every 5 feet you walk forward or you will miss loot.

Making your look stick sensitivity drop by like 75% when you are in water. Even with your head above water. What even is this mechanic?

Combat has lost all the weight and feels really floaty.

And man these cutscenes are just ugh...That one of the kids in the hospital honestly looked like a bad 360-era cutscene. And I'm playing on full raytracing on PC.

Hoping it gets better once I am done with all this intro stuff.

Patchy

Oct 29, 2017
3 hours in so far - I actually think I like the first much more, not sure why... it's just missing something for me.

Performance is really wonky as well - constant hitching on a very good system with RT off.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What time does this come out USA CST? Microsoft store said 6pm 2/3 and it's already 9 and it's saying I'm too early

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Weird what was even the last big budget game to launch without hdr support? Hope they patch it in.

This didn't seem like my jam but the Digital Foundry ray tracing video sold me

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having an issue where it shows gamepad prompts even when no gamepad is connected. Changing the setting in controls, it reverts right away.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Game just looks amazing with high quality Raytracing on at 1440p on a 3080. its between 80-130fps, id say it hovers more arround the 80-100 section tho. Only thing is at night its just WAYYYY to fucking dark lol

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
About two hours in. I'm quite enjoying the game. The health bar design is annoying me, though. Am I at full health? Hmm… not sure.

And man these cutscenes are just ugh...That one of the kids in the hospital honestly looked like a bad 360-era cutscene. And I'm playing on full raytracing on PC.
Lmao. Glad it's not only me. I was laughing hard during the kids cutscene. Sooooo bad. They both looked like janky, bald mannequins. Not only 360-era, early 360-era.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
This game's story so far is bat shit and makes no sense. There's one part where someone tells Aiden the exact information he needed, then 10 seconds later he asks them for the information he was just told.

I'm starting to think they cut the story up and tried to tape it back together after creepo Avellone was fired and the other Dying Light writer left last year.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
About two hours in. I'm quite enjoying the game. The health bar design is annoying me, though. Am I at full health? Hmm… not sure.

Lmao. Glad it's not only me. I was laughing hard during the kids cutscene. Sooooo bad. They both looked like janky, bald mannequins. Not only 360-era, early 360-era.
Lol I'm probably just gonna start skipping them myself. They're too long for starters in this type of format, and they haven't really said much of anything so far.

Otherwise, and outside of the parkour being a bit janky, I'm enjoying the game! It's fucking suplexing my monster of a rig though; shit's demanding as hell, but looks gorgeous with RTGI.

Sep 21, 2019
Does the game seem overly sharp with certain textures like clothing and carpets and the load screen? It's super weird and I can't fix it.

Anyone else notice the weird like criss crossing effect on certain items on PC? Any fix for it?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This game's story so far is bat shit and makes no sense. There's one part where someone tells Aiden the exact information he needed, then 10 seconds later he asks them for the information he was just told.

I'm starting to think they cut the story up and tried to tape it back together after creepo Avellone was fired and the other Dying Light writer left last year.

Yeah the writing is absolutely godawful in general, and it seems almost like the just cut and pasted pieces of conversation randomly.

Another example is the guy asks you how you didn't get infected after all these years and you say "I didn't get bitten", then literally the next sentence you say "things aren't going to well, I'm infected". What?

Even the quest copy is terrible. One of the first quests you get is "meet the people of the bazaar". You complete this by meeting everyone in the bazaar right? NOPE! You need to talk to two specific people who give you side quests, then complete their side quests and then you have "met" them. The quest log doesn't tell you any of this. It just says "meet the people of the bazaar". If I didn't look up the quest through google I'd still be running around the bazaar trying to find someone I didn't talk to.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
One YouTuber reviewer contrasted the skill tree here with Far Cry 6 and how despite that it takes a long time to get new skills, you actually feel the progression to be meaningful. Whereas in FC6 you can pretty much do anything at the start.

I think there's arguments to be made for either method of design, but having played FC6 I can tell you it got stale quickly because there's just no reward to what you're doing.

May 7, 2020
Spoiled myself on the ending for the game, since the story isn't something that'll really matter for me.

Not joking, this is straight up the exact same ending as The Following DLC for the first game.

Seems the articles about troubled waters during development were completely true. They must have had a rough go at it when Avellone was taken off the project. Having fun with the game and it's clear a lot of love was put into it, but this is a game with a 2 year full time dev cycle tops. As a sequel to the first game, it definitely succeeds, but it does lead one to wonder what might have been with a more focused team.

Last edited:

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only about 2 hours into this so far, but really enjoying it. My only real critique so far is I feel like some interactions(like opening barrels, toolboxes) feel a little tight. Like you have to look at them the exact way or else nothing.

First game was much easier to interact in that way.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game is fun as hell but just like the first one I don't care about the story or characters. But the gameplay is addicting.

These airbags are awesome.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The dialogue in this game can be fucking bizarre, been several times already where I'm just confused as to how they got from a to b or things get repeated.

Does the game seem overly sharp with certain textures like clothing and carpets and the load screen? It's super weird and I can't fix it.

Anyone else notice the weird like criss crossing effect on certain items on PC? Any fix for it?
The game's sharpness is cranked up by default, turn it down in the advanced video settings

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DL1 is in my top 5 GOATs. I have been looking forward to this game for a really long time, and my first impressions…are not great. To echo what others are saying online, the movement and combat just feel off. And those are the things DL1 did so amazingly well. Also, no weapon crafting? Is that right? Plus it feels like they streamlined everything to the point that it feels more like a new Dead Island game. I'm pretty fucking bummed right now.

Of course, DL2 has big shoes to fill for me, and I think I'll sleep on it and have another go in the morning to see if I just have unreasonable expectations. But I can't help but feel like Techland spent more time trying to make a big budget AAA game, rather than iterating on what made the first a sleeper hit that many of us held in such high regard for years after launch :/

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
It's so tempting to buy this. But it's also tempting to pick it up on sale once it's been patched to hell and back. I guess I'll see how I feel in the morning.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
does global illumination have the biggest impact in terms of RTX tech eye candy? (versus RTX reflections etc)

Oct 28, 2017
When I loot an area marked on the map like a military convoy will the game mark it complete? I looted an area and pretty sure I got everything but the icon is still on the map.

Patchy

Oct 29, 2017
My thoughts so far after 3 hours on PC.

I am really not feeling it at all.

I have a decent rig and performance is all over the place. Both with RT on and off.

A lot of the gameplay tweaks and changes make it feel like a worse game than DL1, which I loved. It's taken a lot of 'inspiration' from other games and it makes it feel less unique than DL1 - and a lot less fun IMO.

It's also clear the game needed another couple of months of optimisation, but I guess after 6 years of troubled development they need the cash injection.

Anyone who hasn't played the series before, I recommend starting with the first game before jumping in to this one - it should be in a much better state by the time you are ready to play.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, weird workaround on PC if you are having trouble with inputs not matching. I ran first launch with keyboard and mouse and then messed with controller, then went to eat dinner, relaunched and couldn't get rid of the controller prompts in the options menu even with a restart of my computer. The "fix" for me was, to turn on my controller, switch the prompts with the controller (and then turn off the controller), and then it actually worked to switch it to kbam that way.

Imagine it might work vice versa too.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
When I loot an area marked on the map like a military convoy will the game mark it complete? I looted an area and pretty sure I got everything but the icon is still on the map.
Nah, these areas refresh so you can keep visiting them. They don't get marked complete. Once you loot three areas in that area, you can bail.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointing you can't turn off the compass, d-pad items or objective markers. I hate playing with this shit on the screen.

The first game let you turn the HUD off entirely...

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Ummm.

Were weapon skins not part of the preorder pack? How do we apply them on weapons?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

It's no assumption, it was rewritten 6 times so yeah, not hard to pick up on.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I think I love the raw gameplay of this this game more than DL1. Everything's just so smooth and non-clunky.

But the city needs some sorta optimization or something because I'm losing around 40 FPS constantly