Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that concerns me is Revelations have been budget side titles that havent looked very good visually. After RE7 RE2R and RE3R they cant got backwards. I really hope this is going to be on par if not bettet visually.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of the Revelations series, I'm disappointed that they decided to make the third one first person as well (although since the game didn't start out as Rev 3, what was the original Rev 3? Was there one 🤔 ). I liked having different games in different styles. As long as RE9 isn't also first person then I guess that's fine. I like when they switch things up (Rebecca instead of Chris for the millionth time pls)

Yeah this is how I'm feeling. I don't mind FPS Resident Evil, but it's definitely not my preferred way to play. I've accepted RE8 being FP, but I'd hoped RER3 would remain 3rd Person and keep the wild stuff up. As it stands now, I wouldn't have been/will not be happy with either game.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What?? How does that cement this : It's kind of a fake narrative if RE7 sells better than a majority of the games, which are third-person. And if it's selling faster than RE6, which had a 5-year lead on the market.

I think you confused yourself but in basic terms- third person RE titles destroy first person RE titles IN SALES. Which in turn proves the ORIGINAL point ( third person RE titles sell the best) correct. How you got that.....lmao. RE 7 was an anomaly, which could mean one off( once again proving the point) and may not be replicated sales wise. IF RE8 comes along and keeps pace, THEN you could be on to a point. Better now??
I edited this into my original post just in case but I was too slow.

The argument that "a perspective sells better than b perspective" is kind of obtuse because b perspective titles have outsold the majority of a perspective titles, so an opposite objective argument, just as valid as the last, could be made that "b perspective sells better than a perspective" - you could even add "most of the time" for further clarity. And then the original premise is moot/useless. The larger problem (and point of my statement) is that people are playing fast and loose with context so to embolden their arguments.

I agree that a second title should serve as needed second data point.

This is kind of a launching pad to all kinds of shaky arguments that ignore how long certain games have been on the market, how many platforms these games are available on, etc. There are many windows for bias, but the fastest-selling games in the series are RE2, which sells faster than RE7, which sells faster than RE6; and, the only common denominators (listed in order of prominence): titled as mainline entries; an increased focus on horror (w/ stalker enemies); third-person perspective. You could include RE5 if you wanted, but it came out in 2009 - so, it's sold much slower than RE6, much less RE7 and RE2. If you want my opinion, I think perspective takes a back seat to subject matter, visuals, and more/other substantive gameplay styles (multiplayer shooting, survival horror, etc.) but it's simply too early to draw any real conclusions.

Last edited:

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
It actually isn't fake narrative if two games ahead of it ARE third person.......

Of course they have sold more, they have been out for many more years than RE7 with multiple releases across different console generations.

How well RE8 sells will be a good indication of if FPS RE games have a big fanbase.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Of course they have sold more, they have been out for many more years than RE7 with multiple releases across different console generations.

How well RE8 sells will be a good indication of if FPS RE games have a big fanbase.
Sure but then we have RE 2 Remake which relased just LAST year and sits at 5.8 and has been out less time than them all.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Waht bothers me is the cross-gen part for a full sequel. Why ddin't they leave to be a new Revelation game and away from main plotline and be cross-gen?
A true sequel should have been fully next-gen tbh and maybe third person too or at least offer both modes.
I wonder how thiw ill be received in the end but Dusk already said it that fans won't receive it that well.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

This is kind of a launching pad to all kinds of shaky arguments that ignore how long certain games have been on the market, how many platforms these games are available on, etc. There are many windows for bias, but the fastest-selling games in the series are RE2, which sells faster than RE7, which sells faster than RE6; and, the only common denominators are an increased focus on horror (w/ stalker enemies), titled as mainline entries, and third-person perspective. You could include RE5 if you wanted, but it came out in 2009 - so, it's sold much slower than RE6, much less RE7 and RE2. If you want my opinion, I think perspective is secondary to subject matter, visuals, and more/other substantive gameplay styles (multiplayer shooting, survival horror, etc.).
Yes but there's no denying the success of "traditional" RE titles.....again, look at the sales figures of RE 2 remake which came out a year ago. The same way RE 7 is selling exponentially faster than the third best selling game- well RE 2 RM may well pass them both up. The bottom line is people are minimizing the impact of the perspective and throwing around tangibles , such as RE 7's sales and response, as a metric to allow change. I think we are all in agreement in saying that things will be more clear after RE 8 releases and it will give a better gauge of what indeed is "best". Cheers.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
First person? Guess I will keep buying just the remakes then. I still have RE4, RE5 and RE6 to look forward.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
What you said isn't even accurate though. What he originally said was RE 8 was far off ( that has now turned into RE 9 being far off). Then there's the whole spinoff, now mainline change.

These are both the same thing...of course if RER3 becomes RE8, what was RE8 becomes RE9. Listing those as two different "changes" just seems petty.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It's weird to always see someone come back about how RE7 didn't disappoint Capcom in terms of sales.
Does it have good sales numbers now? Sure. It happened way after it lowered its official price and was on sale multiple times though.
Similar situation for SFV and some other Capcom titles this gen.

They're relatively transparent in terms of sales (even though they've stopped giving sales goals after SFV and RE7), so I'm not sure why some people keep trying to change information about it.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
people who decide to auto-skip a great game just because it doesn't use a perspective they prefer are gross imo

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully all the ocult stuff is explained by science. I don't want Silent Hill in my Resident Evil.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
people who decide to auto-skip a great game just because it doesn't use a perspective they prefer are gross imo
What if those people have played the game? Or tried the demo?

Unless you're talking about RE8, which in this case we don't know if it's great, and from what we know, would still be similar to RE7 in many ways.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to always see someone come back about how RE7 didn't disappoint Capcom in terms of sales.
Does it have good sales numbers now? Sure. It happened way after it lowered its official price and was on sale multiple times though.
Similar situation for SFV and some other Capcom titles this gen.

They're relatively transparent in terms of sales (even though they've stopped giving sales goals after SFV and RE7), so I'm not sure why some people keep trying to change information about it.
That counts for literally every game there.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Any franchise that has a "RE6" will have that. COD Ghosts was one of the best selling entries in the series but it was so poorly received that the after effect of that ended up hurting the sales of the significantly better Advanced Warfare. Same thing happened with the Assassin's Creed series. AC Unity sold very well but AC Syndicate sold significantly worse because of the reputation of Unity.

People who think a RE6-2 would've sold just as well as RE6 are naive. I'm a RE6 defender but I am largely that because of what a widely reviled game RE6 is. Without RE7 (I'll say) a not insignificant number of people would still view the RE series as a dead series.

Add in the fact that I believe until Monster Hunter World came out RE7 was their best selling game this gen. Since then Capcom has been on a real upward sales trajectory after getting off to a rough start this gen but RE7 was the start of the Capcom turning shit around story this gen. Also, if you don't think RE2 & RE3 remakes weren't heavily informed by RE7 then I don't know what to say. Yeah they're 3rd person but that's literally the only design difference. RE7 was a classic style RE game but in first person. Not liking RE7 doesn't change that fact. The game seemingly reinvigorated both the base and the dev team but I guess we'll see if it paid off sales wise with RE8.

Not sure where you're getting this idea. RE2 and RE3 remakes were just that...remakes. It's not like they would have remade them in the RE6 fashion. And like you said, both games are third person. RE2 remake may end up outselling RE7 (I think sales were close) and that is quite impressive since it was a remake after all. It's still a bit surprising that they would go first person with RE8. Why not make RE8 a classic style RE in the classic third person perspective?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of this sounds so exciting. I plan on finishing RE3R this weekend, and I still have to play RE7. So I'll be ready for something different next year in the RE franchise.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
What you said isn't even accurate though. What he originally said was RE 8 was far off ( that has now turned into RE 9 being far off). Then there's the whole spinoff, now mainline change. Then he said Ethan was playable, but now he doesn't know. Then he said it would be revealed in a few months, but not the official announcement is soon. He said Rev 3 wasn't happening but now he said it was happening but was changed recently into RE 8. I could go on and on.

That's not even including the whole Silent Hill mess- in which he professed TWO SH were coming ( which was then shot down).

It might surprise you to learn that games do not spring fully-formed from the offices of their developers after some arbitrary number of years.

Capcom starting development on RE8, then deciding it would be better received as Rev 3 due to a thematic shift, and then later promoting it to RE8 with an additional year in development is not farfetched. Watch some Wha Happun if you wanna deep dive into some examples of weird development stories. Hell, we literally just had a meltdown over RE3 not living up to the initial hype of his teases (semi open world, persistent Nemesis throughout, etc.), when most likely the elements he mentioned were just reevaluated and scaled back on during development.

As for Silent Hill, I'd take Konami's word with more handfuls of salt than I'd take Dusk's honestly.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
No it doesn't. RE5, RE6 and RE2 were huge hits out of the gate.
??? RE6 disappointed Capcom (they had to reforecast their sales goals twice) and RE2 only sold 500k more copies than RE7 (3m vs 2.5m). RE5 sold only 1.5 million in the first week (although 5m by the end of three weeks!), while RE6 sold 600k its first week. But more importantly, all of these games are still selling. Why? Well, for the same reasons RE7 is doing so much better. So, like I said, "This literally counts for every game there."

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The thing that concerns me is Revelations have been budget side titles that havent looked very good visually. After RE7 RE2R and RE3R they cant got backwards. I really hope this is going to be on par if not bettet visually.

I can't imagine it looking any worse than the last two games, especially when, as Dusk Golem detailed, it started life as RE8, moved into a Rev game, and has now gone back to RE8. They've got lots of time to make this badboy look even better before release if it's been pushed back to make it a mainline entry again.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
RE4 was still a "biohazard" though. I remember the different versions of RE4 (ghosts/hallucinations) before they finally settled on it being enemies that you actually shoot. This sounds like it may be a chase-fest and little to no combat against widly different enemies (ghosts/werewolves/witches etc)? Not exactly what I remember about RE.

RE 3.5 still about a biohazard.
Leon get infected from progeneitor virus which cause him hallucinations.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE7 sales in the platinum page are RE7+Gold Edition, its unfair to compare with RE6 and RE2R

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Jan 4, 2018

This is kind of a launching pad to all kinds of shaky arguments that ignore how long certain games have been on the market, how many platforms these games are available on, etc. There are many windows for bias, but the fastest-selling games in the series are RE2, which sells faster than RE7, which sells faster than RE6; and, the only common denominators (listed in order of prominence): titled as mainline entries; an increased focus on horror (w/ stalker enemies); third-person perspective. You could include RE5 if you wanted, but it came out in 2009 - so, it's sold much slower than RE6, much less RE7 and RE2. If you want my opinion, I think perspective takes a back seat to subject matter, visuals, and more/other substantive gameplay styles (multiplayer shooting, survival horror, etc.) but it's simply too early to draw any real conclusions.

RE6:
From October 2012 to March 2013 (6 months): 4,9 millions ( https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-08-resident-evil-6-sells-4-9-million-disappoints )
(12 months) : 5,2 millions ( https://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/resident-evil-5-becomes-capcoms-best-seller )
Current : 7,4 millions

RE7:
From January 2017 to April 2018 (14 months) : 5 millions ( https://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-7-has-broken-five-million-sales-497978.phtml )
June 2019 : 6,6 millions
Current (with the Gold Edition) : 7 millions

How does RE7 sells faster than RE6 ?

And how did RE5 and its 9,9 millions (no re-releases) sold "much slower" than RE7 ?

Also, a reminder : RE6 released with mixed reviews (Capcom said at the time that RE6 started very strong then lost momentum) and on late-gen (october 2012) when PS3 and X360 were dying after such an extended lifespan. Just 1 year before the next generation arrived (november 2013).
And RE6 never got a Gold Edition contrary to RE5 and RE7. Gold Editions tend to give big boosts.

The remake also sold faster than RE7 (the install base was obviously bigger but it's still worth noting).

At the end, RE7 did good but 3rd-person Resident Evil like RE2R, RE5 or RE6 are selling faster and are the most popular.

I still hope a new 3rd person mainline Resident Evil with the iconic characters of Resident Evil will happen after RE8.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
They explained Eveline in RE7 in a way that's fairly consistent with the rest of the series. It'll be fine.

People who played it were apparently pretty happy with it, to the point where Capcom promoted it to a main entry, so... No?

Hopefully that is the case.

I mean RE8 being better than a Revelations game lol.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That counts for literally every game there.
??? RE6 disappointed Capcom (they had to reforecast their sales goals twice) and RE2 only sold 500k more copies than RE7 (3m vs 2.5m). RE5 sold only 1.5 million in the first week (although 5m by the end of three weeks!), while RE6 sold 600k its first week. But more importantly, all of these games are still selling. Why? Well, for the same reasons RE7 is doing so much better. So, like I said, "This literally counts for every game there."
I'm honestly not sure what you mean.
RE2 had different goals from RE7.
RE6 had way higher goals than RE7: 6M copies in 3 months for the former after their first reforecast (5M in 6 months), RE7 was 4M copies in 3 months (sold 3.5M in 4 months).
On top of that, RE7 had LTD goals of 10M copies, which will be surprising if it ever gets to that.
RE7 sales in the platinum page are RE7+Gold Edition, its unfair to compare with RE6 and RE2R
True. We don't even know the full figures for RE5 and 6 since the Switch version isn't counted.

RE6 isn't at 7.4M btw FarSightXR50 . You need to add 1.9M with the PS4/X1 re-release.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
The 9.3m figure includes the re-release of RE6. RE2R sold 5m its first year (Jan-Dec), while RE7 sold 4m from Jan-Oct, so I'm not sure the Gold boost affected its tracking too much.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I like the sound of occultism and the themes, but im not a fan of a shifting vision partway through development just to shoehorn it in as a mainline title. I'm going to be cautious about this one.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly not sure what you mean.
RE2 had different goals from RE7.
RE6 had way higher goals than RE7: 6M copies in 3 months for the former after their first reforecast (5M in 6 months), RE7 was 4M copies in 3 months (sold 3.5M in 4 months).
On top of that, RE7 had LTD goals of 10M copies, which will be surprising if it ever gets to that.
If your entire point was about what "disappointed Capcom" or not, then sure, I guess? But to me, it seemed like you were moving away from that particular point and adding asterisks to RE7's current sales figure for reasons that you'd have to add to all of the others (sales, price drops, revisions, re-releases, etc.). If you want to get to the nitty gritty, you also have to consider distribution differences. They used to ship more than they'd sell (sell-through, since they're technically sold when shipped) and Platinum Titles only counts for shipped for retail. Despite shipping a ton of copies at launch, RE6 only sold-through 600k in its first week but obviously it picked up steam through the years.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup I wouldnt be surprised if RE2 eventually became the #1 or #2 top selling RE game with 7 right behind it.

But like I mentioned in my edit. RE7 was made by 120 people, RE2 Remake had over 800 according to Capcom's NHK broadcast a few months before release. So RE7 could have very easily be a much more profitable title than RE2 was.

comicbook.com

'Resident Evil 2' Remake Reportedly Took Over 800 Devs

We knew that the journey to recreating the magic that was Resident Evil 2 would be a big one, but [...]
You think RE2R and RE7 will get 9-11M range??

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So RE8 is gonna be underwhelming...?

It won't necessarily be underwhelming but it doesn't sound like it's very Resident Evil-y. From what Dusk implies, everyone complaining about the RE3 remake cutting areas and dropping ink ribbons will very likely just flat out hate RE8.

I don't particularly mind what we've heard about it so far but it does sound more like an Outlast game than a Resident Evil one and I am actually worried there might not be any combat. It was the weakest part of RE7 after all and that sort of huge, fundamental change is exactly the sort of thing that would alienate a lot of Resident Evil fans while still appealing to a new crowd.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
RE6:
From October 2012 to March 2013 (6 months): 4,9 millions ( https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-08-resident-evil-6-sells-4-9-million-disappoints )
(12 months) : 5,2 millions ( https://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/resident-evil-5-becomes-capcoms-best-seller )
Current : 7,4 millions

RE7:
From January 2017 to April 2018 (14 months) : 5 millions ( https://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-7-has-broken-five-million-sales-497978.phtml )
June 2019 : 6,6 millions
Current (with the Gold Edition) : 7 millions

How does RE7 sells faster than RE6 ?

And how did RE5 and its 9,9 millions (no re-releases) sold "much slower" than RE7 ?
Because it took RE5 and RE6 many more years than RE7 to hit 7m, despite RE7 trailing in the initial race to 5m. Also, RE6 shipped 4.5m at launch and depending on area, could warrant another 500k being shipped out within 6 months. RE6's actual sell-through in the first week was 600k ww.

Also, RE5 Gold Edition was released 9 months after launch (like RE7 Gold Edition). You're combining the original 7.6m and the Gold Edition's 2.3m. Unless Gold Editions don't count as "re-releases," then that's cool. Just wanting to clarify. Anyway, that game has been on the market for almost 11 years (Mar '09 release) + a remaster, RE6 has been on the market for a little over 7 (Oct '12 release) + a remaster, while RE7 has been out only 3 years (Jan '17 release).

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I like the sound of occultism and the themes, but im not a fan of a shifting vision partway through development just to shoehorn it in as a mainline title. I'm going to be cautious about this one.

I mean, if this game really was originally a Revelations title, the distinction between Revelations and mainline is blurry at best.