• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
yeah, of course. i imagine the switch title will be considered part of gen 5.

Each gen basically has 3 to 4 games:

3rd gen:
MH Tri
Portable 3rd
MH3U

4th gen:
MH4
MH4U
MHX/Gen
MHXX/GU

5th gen:
MHW
MHW:I
MH Switch/NEXT
And most likely MH Switch expansion

zim_ek

Feb 18, 2019
I'm so excited about MH, i can't wait

just curious how they would spread out Stories 2 and MH Switch... could any of them still come in 2020?

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
In a world where even Shin Megami Tensei is a simultaneous worldwide release, I really don't see MH not being one.
Both will be simultaneous WW releases cause they will be published by Nintendo in the West and Nintendo doesn't do staggered releases anymore.
Only one's I can recall this gen was Hyrule Warriors and DQ Builders and Builders released in the West first

Oct 27, 2017
i don't see any big game (or honestly, any game of any size) being exclusive to the new system. there's no way capcom or any dev will ignore the 70+ million userbase (assuming the revision is coming q1 2021) and focus on a system starting at 0. it'll be something like pro/x. running the games at higher fps/res, but the original switch will still run all the games.

why not both?
Agreed. Now that I think back, are all examples of newer versions of Nintendo hardware having exclusive software relegated to Nintendo owned properties? If so, that also backs this up apart from as you stated the obvious business ramifications for a third party.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Now that I think back, are all examples of newer versions of Nintendo hardware having exclusive software relegated to Nintendo owned properties? If so, that also backs this up apart from as you stated the obvious business ramifications for a third party.

Nope. Minecraft was only on N3DS for example, DSi had hundreds of DSiware games and Gameboy Colour blurred the lines between revision and new system with how many games were GBC exclusive.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that confuses me is RE Engine. Why would they use it for a MH Switch game when they build World on MT Framework? Sure, Capcom were technical wizards on the 3DS but it's a strange shift, even if a lot of their AAA high end console games are moving over to that engine. Always wondered how it would perform on Switch though.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
One thing that confuses me is RE Engine. Why would they use it for a MH Switch game when they build World on MT Framework? Sure, Capcom were technical wizards on the 3DS but it's a strange shift, even if a lot of their AAA high end console games are moving over to that engine. Always wondered how it would perform on Switch though.
Capcom probably wants to eventually make every game in RE Engine. It's a good buzzword. Their audience has attributed a lot of Capcom's recent success to their newfangled engine. Look at how some people pine for "so-and-so game in RE Engine." It wouldn't be a bad idea to lay the groundwork for a Monster Hunter World sequel in RE Engine by using it for a Switch Monster Hunter.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

But MT Framework is what the recent Resident Evil games before 7 were built on... they had to start somewhere and it was probably too risky to throw everyone onto a new or still in development engine, and RE7 & MHW started roughly the same time.
But who knows, maybe they were planning on building MHW with Panta Rhei originally..

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I guess Capcom wants to move all IPs/Projects onto RE engine considering how optimised it is in addition to offering amazing visuals. With MH Switch running on RE engine, they can then easily reuse the assets for 6th gen MH (PS5, XSX, PC). Plus, I would imagine it would be better optimised compared to World's MT Framework since it had a lot of frame rate issues.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is weird whichever way you slice it.

RE Engine originated in Dev 1 and is designed for PS4/XBO/PC. The first Dev 2 game to be on RE Engine being a Switch game is weird; the first RE Engine Switch game being from Dev 2 is weird.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Capcom wants to move all IPs/Projects onto RE engine considering how optimised it is in addition to offering amazing visuals. With MH Switch running on RE engine, they can then easily reuse the assets for 6th gen MH (PS5, XSX, PC). Plus, I would imagine it would be better optimised compared to World's MT Framework since it had a lot of frame rate issues.

This is a fair point. I guess MT Framework, as good as it is, is really old at this point and moving MH to that engine future proofs the franchise. Like another poster who responded to me said, the reason World is on MT Framework is likely matter of timescales if anything.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
This is a fair point. I guess MT Framework, as good as it is, is really old at this point and moving MH to that engine future proofs the franchise. Like another poster who responded to me said, the reason World is on MT Framework is likely matter of timescales if anything.
Also World MT Framework did give more issues specifically the Leviathan skeletons which wasn't working and had to cut monsters such as Lagi. Like you said, MT Framework is quite old now, it started with MH Tri and it's over 10 years old, they could use a upgrade or new engine lol.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Also World MT Framework did give more issues specifically the Leviathan skeletons which wasn't working and had to cut monsters such as Lagi. Like you said, MT Framework is quite old now, it started with MH Tri and it's over 10 years old, they could use a upgrade or new engine lol.
My only concern would be asset usage. Could they still utilize most of what World had and then continue on from there?

Anything that means more complex monsters like the leviathans, the crabs and the insects can be bought back will be more than welcome to me. I just don't want us to be back to square one, dealing with a bunch of Wyverns and Dragons while vainly hoping for more variety on the monster roster. Ditto the weapons, too

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
My only concern would be asset usage. Could they still utilize most of what World had and then continue on from there?

Anything that means more complex monsters like the leviathans, the crabs and the insects can be bought back will be more than welcome to me. I just don't want us to be back to square one, dealing with a bunch of Wyverns and Dragons while vainly hoping for more variety on the monster roster. Ditto the weapons, too
I would imagine development started at least in 2017 and the portable team seems to be consistent when it comes to monster variety and content. I also wouldn't be surprised if they import some MHW monsters and modify them in MH Switch and potential expansion. At the very least, I don't see MH Tri scenario happening again considering the insane backlash they got.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Shakalakas r better.
Everyone knows this is the truth.

Yeah, that's really all there is to it with the timeline they had mentioned for when they first started production on it (shortly after they shipped MH4, which would have put it at late 2013). Panta Rhei was assuredly a complete trash fire at that point, leaving their only other real option at the time being an external engine like Unreal Engine. Hell of a run for MT Framework in any event.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I would imagine development started at least in 2017 and the portable team seems to be consistent when it comes to monster variety and content. I also wouldn't be surprised if they import some MHW monsters and modify them in MH Switch and potential expansion. At the very least, I don't see MH Tri scenario happening again considering the insane backlash they got.
Indeed.

In more ways than one, it's just gonna be really interesting to see how "NEXT" shapes up. It's obviously going to have some similarities with World, but I'm almost expecting that Ichinose and his squad may make their "5th gen" game have more in common with X/Gen (their last game), as opposed to how the World team continued where they left off with 4.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Indeed.

In more ways than one, it's just gonna be really interesting to see how "NEXT" shapes up. It's obviously going to have some similarities with World, but I'm almost expecting that Ichinose and his squad may make their "5th gen" game have more in common with X/Gen (their last game), as opposed to how the World team continued where they left off with 4.

I can definitely see them making their own 5th gen similar to Portable 3rd (Own identity, theme and new places) but I don't see them making a game similar/common to X/Gen considering MHX/Gen is a celebration game.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope MH for Switch includes the weapon changes that were added in MHW and especially Iceborne. I only played 1 weapon in MHGU because most of the weapons just didn't feel nearly as fun to play as they are in MHW.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Cant wait to see more ps5 info, really really REALLY hoping for a price reveal here kind of sick of not knowing how much money i need to drop come November. Money is set aside already but damn I hate how long its taken to get real info from both sony and microsoft so far

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Like others have said, it's just a matter of timing in terms of engines used. MHW began prototyping in early 2014 and by that point the Panta Rhei engine wasn't working well for Capcom. RE engine was probably just beginning development, as RE7 came out Jan 2017. So the MH main team decided to go with an engine they were familiar with: MT Framework.

But what about this new MH Switch game? Surely it would've been on MTF as well, right? It already runs on the Switch and would make development quicker...Is what you might think, but by the time Ichinose finished up Generations, the Switch didn't even exist (dev kits were prob sent out late 2015 at the earliest). So by the time Switch dev kits came in, Capcom devs had given feedback to Nintendo to add more RAM for RE Engine support.

And that's the thing about RE Engine on Switch. I believe Capcom were able to get it running on Switch thanks to the extra RAM, but they weren't satisfied with how the RE games looked. It was probably too much work and this was BEFORE World's massive release (when Capcom was still in money/resource saving mode) and they didn't want to risk outsourcing a port by paying money they didn't have (remember Witcher 3 took Saber nearly a year).

At this point (late 2015-2016), Ichinose is probably twiddling his thumbs until the Switch lands in his lap. I imagine they start trying out MTF since the main team is using it for World, but they might've had trouble getting that version working well on Switch. So in a forward looking move that will provide MH devs with RE Engine experience, they make the bold move to use RE engine for the Switch as it is more modern. They probably toy with some concepts (as they are still skeptical of the Switch) until mid 2017, when the Switch is confirmed to be a bona fide success. This is where we start to hear rumors of MHWorld AND a separate "portable" series game being made for Switch.

By the time World was out, Switch had ended a banger of a year in sales of hardware and software. World's breakout performance likely gave Capcom further confidence in supporting Ichinose's team with larger budget/resources. And I'm pretty sure they work on the same floor, so they probably took a lot of ideas to incorporate from world, like no loading zones and other QOL improvements.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
The 1st post in this thread was warned for suggesting the guy is lying. But unless I am mistaken wasn't the guy who sent the tweet exposed or expos themselves as a fraud very recently? I find it hard to keep up so maybe I am wrong

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Last time he said shemue thing was coming very soon, and was still 2 wekks away, so this reveal of monster hunter switch will probably take place by october or beyond.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I can definitely see them making their own 5th gen similar to Portable 3rd (Own identity, theme and new places) but I don't see them making a game similar/common to X/Gen considering MHX/Gen is a celebration game.
What I mean more is the "experimental" aspect of it all: The Styles. The Arts. The Cats. Hyper and Deviant Monsters. Things that definitely changed things up when it came to how we played a MH game, and gave even more opportunities for "self-expression".

I remember they said they looked to the Street Fighter Alpha series as inspiration, and honestly, hope for more of that same energy with their next game. Again, World and its inevitable sequel will be there for something that's more "by the book".

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
The trademark filing for MH World showed up a week before it's reveal at Sony's E3 2017 show (Jun 5 > Jun 12). Someone should keep an eye on Capcom's copyright stuff on September 16th if the same thing happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.