• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its funny I was JUST thinking about this very topic on my way home just now. While playing it I would probably rate it a 9.5 and a lot of parts felt like a 10 to me. But on subsequent playthroughs and critical reflection I completely agree with "the best 8.5 youve ever played in your life". Thats actually a pretty perfect description because the game is SO good but theres also some flaws that I wouldn't expect in a game of this magnitude. With that said I still think it should garner consideration for GoTY I just don't think its a perfect 10 like the reviews made it out to be.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on God Of War since, like....it's actually out and we're playing it, but all these "RDR2 will DEFINITELY be better than God of War"/"RDR2 will DEFINITELY *not* be better than God of War" takes are....uh...insane lol? How does one....declare that 6 months before a game comes out when we still know almost nothing about it. And, uh, also, there are more games releasing in 2018 than these 2.

I am always weirded out that so many people seem to spend the year agonizing about what ~ the consensus GOTY ~ is going to be (as if that matters) vs. like....thinking about the actual content of games.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Its funny I was JUST thinking about this very topic on my way home just now. While playing it I would probably rate it a 9.5 and a lot of parts felt like a 10 to me. But on subsequent playthroughs and critical reflection I completely agree with "the best 8.5 youve ever played in your life". Thats actually a pretty perfect description because the game is SO good but theres also some flaws that I wouldn't expect in a game of this magnitude. With that said I still think it should garner consideration for GoTY I just don't think its a perfect 10 like the reviews made it out to be.
A 10/10 isn't a perfect game though, every game has flaws, it just means those reviewers didn't think the flaws affects their enjoyment of the game.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I don't think game is 10/10 worthy. It's a great game but I have a issue with restricted level design in the game and overuse of same enemy type over and over again.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
what's up with all the blind faith with RDR2?

i mean...GRRM did wrote game of thrones and clash of kings but he also wrote feast for crows and dance with dragons...

be forewarned. excellent precedence doesn't make guaranteed perfect sequels. Even Miyamoto and Miyazaki produced some duds in their lifetime.

And The Godfather Part 3 did came after The Godfather Part 2

I guess, but ever since GTA3 Rockstar have yet to make a bad open world game and RDR1 is arguably in the top 3, so it's not like hype for the sequel is unsubstantiated.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A 10/10 isn't a perfect game though, every game has flaws, it just means those reviewers didn't think the flaws affects their enjoyment of the game.
Thats fine, theyre entitled to their own opinion. Mine is its not a 10/10 and I only meant perfect 10 as in a 10/10 not that the game was perfect (poor wording on my part). I know no game is perfect but I still wouldn't give GoW a 10/10 even with that in mind. There are some fundamental problems I have with the game compared to other action-fighting-adventure games. Its still a great game none the less.

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017
It's worthy of being game of the year. No one is saying it should universally be considered a 10.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Ignore this. It's the same kind of thing that was said for BotW last year. Some people are just salty at a game they personally don't like being well received, and need validation for their opinion by pretending that they are right, and everyone else is either slowly coming around to agreeing with them, or will soon enough (it's, again, something that happens with BotW a lot).
Was about to say this.

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
People will point out flaws in any and every game. Yes, they exist. There is no perfect game.
These are the same people that fail to realize that it's not about whether or not a game is perfect, but rather it's about whether or not its flaws impact the experience in a major way.

It's always the same.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Breath of the Wild isn't a 10. The shrines are terrible.

Nov 30, 2017
I will never understand how people get so emotionally invested in review scores.

What do people even get out of it anymore other than getting riled up and inducing stress into oneself for absolutely nothing in the end.

Nov 2, 2017
Seems like some people are salty GoW getting high praise. It may not be perfect 10 for all just like BOTW, does not mean that its great game and deserves the praise it got so far. It did something that many loved it, and also gave a unique experience that they never saw before which is why they gave 10 to show their appreciation for the game. 10/10 is not based on objective reasons these days, mostly based on experience and includes a lot of subjective reasoning in the score than before. Ignore the score (they are not true reflection at all), just focus on the experience it provide to the money you paid.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on God Of War since, like....it's actually out and we're playing it, but all these "RDR2 will DEFINITELY be better than God of War"/"RDR2 will DEFINITELY *not* be better than God of War" takes are....uh...insane lol? How does one....declare that 6 months before a game comes out when we still know almost nothing about it. And, uh, also, there are more games releasing in 2018 than these 2.

I am always weirded out that so many people seem to spend the year agonizing about what ~ the consensus GOTY ~ is going to be (as if that matters) vs. like....thinking about the actual content of games.

But if the game I like isn't GOTY then how can I enjoy it?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I will never understand how people get so emotionally invested in review scores.

What do people even get out of it anymore other than getting riled up and inducing stress into oneself for absolutely nothing in the end.
I used to care way more about review scores when I was younger, it mainly had to do with me having very little spending money and having to be particular with my game purchases. Bad reviews made me feel worse about my purchase, either that or made me angry at the review for being so "wrong" about the game.

But even back then I never particularly cared about awards season. Some of my favorite games of all time aren't particularly the "best" awarded games of the year.

Having said that, I feel like God of War will do quite well as far as rewards will go, even considering the stiff compitition it'll have. Rock solid gameplay, engaging structure (enjoyable side content and main content), and impressively well made (look, performance, whole package).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It will be GoW > Dragon Quest XI > Monster Hunter World for GOTY. No place for RDR2 here.

Zelda was a clear 9/10 and Horizon was GOTY2017 for me.

Also people still didn't realize the secret 10/10-GOTY of last year that was PREY.

So, I don't trust "some people of the internet"'s oppinion.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's more of a 9.5870 for me but by the end of the year it might drop to between 9.0419 and 9.3704 ± 0.5, hard to say. GOTY awards are unpredictable.

shutterstock_750493204.jpg

People think too much into these numbers, we don't need numbers to determine how much we love something.

Last edited:

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how far did you get? I know you put the hours there but the beginning part of the game kind of sucks and even after it's still more of a slog than it should have been with faint glimmers of awesomeness. then it gets good

Let's see last thing was Kratos going into that pillar of the light and the boy pulls him out. A bit after that probably? Idk.

It had an epic boss fight in the start, combat got stale super quick to me, I didn't like the camera was so close over your shoulder, I found Kratos' son to be extremely annoying, etc. However, visual beast, musical power house, responsive, and Kratos' voice acting was stellar.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
Ignore this. It's the same kind of thing that was said for BotW last year. Some people are just salty at a game they personally don't like being well received, and need validation for their opinion by pretending that they are right, and everyone else is either slowly coming around to agreeing with them, or will soon enough (it's, again, something that happens with BotW a lot).

First response nails it.

It happened with TLOU as well in 2013, the vocal minority was so convinced that all the reactions were just hype and by the end of that year the bubble will burst.

We all know what happened since, it took a fuck ton of GOTYs (dominating even GTA5) and it is considered by many as one of the GOAT.

Now, I don't know if GoW will do the same in regards to GOTYs, RDR2 might beat it, but I bet on any sum of money that people will always consider it a great game and will always be one of this gen's highlights, even years from now.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Ignore this. It's the same kind of thing that was said for BotW last year. Some people are just salty at a game they personally don't like being well received, and need validation for their opinion by pretending that they are right

...kinda like what you're doing, by telling people to ignore this post?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GoW is one of my favourite ever games 9.5/10 for me easily.

I prefer it over BotW which I completed last year (still a great game)

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
As someone who's been avoiding exposure to GoW in fear of spoilers, can anyone explain to me why GoW is a 10? From what little I've seen it doesn't seem to reinvent the wheel or anything. BotW brought systemic gameplay to a big open world, while GoW just seems like TR(2013) to me, except prettier and likely with a better story.

Not hating on GoW here, just saying that for fear of spoilers I've been unable to determine why people seem to love it so much.

When I finally get decent-sized TV in the near future, that also opens up the door to PS4 gaming, and I might have to choose between GoW and Spiderman as my personal launch title, you see. And I do love me some open world gameplay, so Spidey's looking like a real contender...

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Agree with this. It's the kind of game that seems nearly perfect the first time you play it, but some time away from it and subsequent playthroughs make its flaws more obvious.

RDR2 or a Bethesda game (if it releases this year) might outshine GoW. It won't be easy, but it's definitely possible, considering that huge open world games are the public's favorites

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think God of War is a very good game and so far it's GOTY, but I definitely feel like over time it will lose some of the "masterpiece" mentality surrounding it. Hell, if they can make the next one more intimate and more epic then I can see the first being looked back like how Uncharted 1 is looked back at now; great at the time but outmatched by its sequel in every single way

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think it's a 10 personally, but it's still very good. Definitely better than a 6/10.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
I mean during awards season everyone will be talking Red Dead so

GTAV was arguably the better game and got swept by The Last of Us... RDR1 was nearly 50/50 with Mass Effect 2.... i don't think it's gonna have people talking like you think it is...although it will be a good game and probably would win most GOTY if it werent for GOW this year... GoW is gonna repeat sweep over RDR this year like TLOU did GTAV. Like people forget how TLOU destroyed GTAV and think RDR2 has it on lock because it's Rockstar.

Lol this some faboy shit if i ever seen it...a game that isn't even out it this years BOTW?.... see above...can't argue against real facts.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
As someone who's been avoiding exposure to GoW in fear of spoilers, can anyone explain to me why GoW is a 10? From what little I've seen it doesn't seem to reinvent the wheel or anything. BotW brought systemic gameplay to a big open world, while GoW just seems like TR(2013) to me, except prettier and likely with a better story.

Not hating on GoW here, just saying that for fear of spoilers I've been unable to determine why people seem to love it so much.

When I finally get decent-sized TV in the near future, that also opens up the door to PS4 gaming, and I might have to choose between GoW and Spiderman as my personal launch title, you see. And I do love me some open world gameplay, so Spidey's looking like a real contender...

Great execution, basically. GoW doesn't necessarily do anything new, but it takes what's worked previously and polishes it to a mirror's shine.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God of War is a great game. Even if I didn't play it, it's obvious because of how many people have been triggered by it

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
GoW is good but I think it's a step below a GOTG contender which is what RDR2 will probably be.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
God of War is going to sweep awards season mark my words. Red Dead Redemption 2 will be big as well, but I don't see it sparking the same kind of passion.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I might even dare to say that I think GOW is better than BOTW. The time I had with Zelda was great, but I forgot it instantly once I stopped playing it. I've been thinking about God of War ever since I've beaten it, and immediately wanted to play through again. By the time I hit the end of Zelda I thought "yep, I've had enough of this."

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
GoW is a solid 8 or 8.5 to me, I don't think that is the masterpiece some people claim and it didn't change my view on videogames like BotW did last year .
But I can see the game winning lots of GOTY, unless something really unexpected happens , it's a really good game that deserves the players attention.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I thought BoTW was a solid 8 while I consider GoW a near masterpiece.

However I understand why people think botw is a 10, but GoW absolutely deserves the similar high praise it received imo.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The time I had with Zelda was great, but I forgot it instantly once I stopped playing it. I've been thinking about God of War ever since I've beaten it, and immediately wanted to play through again.
It was the contrary to me.
The two games got a little boring to me the last hours, but I will always remember BotW as the open world game that really grab me, and during all this year I've been watching videos and so of the game and discobered lots of possibilities that I missed during my playthrough.
On the other hand GoW was another linear and cinematic game, more polished and beautiful than most of them, and with a gameplay that makes it leagues above Uncharted or other cinematic Sony first party games, but nothing new to the industry.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's a really high 9 for me, gonna take something real special to top it this year. I'd only put Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 above it for this gen too.

If all people have to downplay it is "you mightn't like it as much soon" then it's done a whole lot of good things.

Oct 27, 2017
An action game with SO MUCH downtime can't be a 10.

Game is good, but holy shit am I getting bored with so many menus, loot hunting and traversing through mountains.

These RPG elements I'm not really a fan of, makes the game slow and boring, pacing is all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.