Oct 26, 2017
I dont know if stuff like this has just become normalized, but does no one find it disturbing that a mega wealthy company like Tencent/Riot is asking for mental health support during a pandemic via a fake idol.

For those who dont know, this is how riot are marketing and building a brand for their latest champion!

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I'll be a little creepy here, but they're really trying to do the "relatable" thing to promote her new champion to public that otherwise wouldn't care. And they're really commited to it. They're a few beers away from searching for Riot's most horny employee to open an official OnlyFans account.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Thats just super creepy and feels like its making of light of very real mental health issues

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird as hell. It wouldn't be quite as bad if they turned on replies only by followers and had some other hero accounts.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not to mention that the company has a history of not treating actual real life women with respect

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Riot is using this character to emotionally manipulate people that relate to these mental health issues and it's really messed up.

Oct 27, 2017
Virtual corporate idol attention whoring on twitter

Look, if at the end of the day, this entire KDA/Seraphine shit is funding the actual games and shows, I shouldn't complain. I am benefitting because I am getting games and shows based in the actual LoL. Sell this KDA popstar champion to the people who like that, and EVERYBODY WINS. Sure, it is not a flawless victory because LoR has to sacrifice its own content to support KDA event, but I will take it.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
*Shrugs*
Nobody is really getting hurt and since the responses are public, you can copy the best responses with people you really care about.

What are the risks here? People getting attach to a non-existent characters? I'm sorry, but this has been happening for a long time now.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Vice article detailing just how fucked up this thing is

www.vice.com

League of Legends' Fake Anime Pop Star Is Sad Tweeting About Genocide

She's so relatable: she's got self esteem problems, loves music, and directly benefits from the genocide of an entire race, just like you!

League of Legends lore is such a quagmire that it's hard to tell what is or isn't in-character for Seraphine. In the game, she hails from Piltover, a glamorous city of progress that also powers itself using the souls of a dead race trapped in crystals. That's right: at least in the main continuity of League of Legends, Seraphine directly benefits from a pretty recent genocide.

Technically, every skin for each of League's 151 characters comes from its own alternate universe. The Seraphine that exists on the official Twitter, Instagram, and Soundcloud accounts is not the same Seraphine that, in her own words, sings the elegy of the Brackern that power her city. That doesn't make it any less weird that Riot Games is adding this character to their already extant K-pop group, K/DA, which is also made up of League of Legends characters. In the game, Seraphine is also a musician, one who wants to use her musical gifts to heal the tension between her native Piltover and their rival city Zaun (where the oppressed underclasses of Piltover were cast-off), and feels a tension within herself knowing how privileged she is. This translates into the real-life-pop-star version of the character as… self-esteem and mental health problems.

Seraphine's social media accounts, and especially her Twitter, try to portray her as the most relatable girl on the planet, with a dash of the melodrama from a tween soap opera like Instant Star or Gossip Girl's Jenny Humphrey storylines. Just like us, she's got a day job, a passion for music and a dream. Unlike us poor rubes, she gets to live out that dream by joining K/DA. We, as her fans, are here to cheer her on, dutifully telling this fictional character that she can do it when she asks for our support, so that she'll later show us all how she printed out our tweets and posted them on a bulletin board.

This branding experiment is beyond perverse—it's honestly offensive. Seraphine's tweet about quitting her day job hits different during a pandemic where over seven million people have lost their jobs. While a lot of young women suffer from mental health problems like depression, or have issues with their self-esteem when they try to express themselves through art, Seraphine's tweets about her issues aren't meant as an opportunity for other young women to be open and vulnerable about their issues. It's a naked attempt to get League of Legends fans to further invest in their parasocial relationship with Seraphine. It's not that fictional characters can't or shouldn't bring up the kinds of things that real people deal with. Ironically, Barbie's vlogs—yes, the doll—do a great job of using her relatability and aspirational nature to create a space of safety, where young girls can process complex feelings. But Seraphine isn't interested in fostering the growth of other young people—it's an emotional feedback loop directing you to more Seraphine content. Don't you see? You're one of her special favorite fans!

Riot can fuck right off with this shit.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Is this really different than any other fictional character expressing mental health issues, like in a TV series of film? Those are for money too. At least it normalises talking about them.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I went into the twitter and its like 99% fanart and a couple of tweets where the champion simulates being a young popstar (that most people that play the wont care).

I dont see how those tweets are: manipulating people with mental problems.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I can't forget Wendys Twitter handle trying to be relatable with depression jokes or creating "twitter beef" between competing brands. humanizing multi-billion corporations seems bleak to me.

Or when Sunny D made a depressed vaguetweet and got an outpouring of support from various brands.
Barf.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Is this really different than any other fictional character expressing mental health issues, like in a TV series of film? Those are for money too. At least it normalises talking about them.
Because a character in a scene is just that - part of a scene. Same with a PSA with Spider-Man talking about abuse at home or Barbie (of all things, fucking Barbie) being used as a way to help kids understand depression.

These are tools to explain (particularly for children) and help navigate complicated ideas, with characters they atleast have some familiarity with to help ease their own anxieties.

This is not that.

This is a fake character, purely as a marketing tool, directly asking for emotional support through social media engagement. And then doing this through the same channels as actual people (including people who aren't pop stars, or y'know, complete corporate fabrications) expressing their own anxiety and need for emotional backing. It's fucking creepy, crass, and disgustingly self-serving.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

It actively encourages the audience to interact with the character in question which I'd argue sets it apart quite a bit. When it comes to TV or film you're a passive observer, even in a game you're limited by what choices you can make.

It comes across as a more cynical "send us positive messages to increase our social media numbers" than a serious reflection of mental health issues.

Like, ultimately speaking there's no way of knowing that account isn't a real person unless you read up on it. To many people that could look like a genuine cry for help.

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
This shit is one of the weirdest marketing campaigns I've seen. I absolutely hate it lol

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Because a character in a scene is just that - part of a scene. Same with a PSA with Spider-Man talking about abuse at home or Barbie (of all things, fucking Barbie) being used as a way to help kids understand depression.

These are tools to explain (particularly for children) and help navigate complicated ideas, with characters they atleast have some familiarity with to help ease their own anxieties.

This is not that.

This is a fake character, purely as a marketing tool, directly asking for emotional support through social media engagement. Through the same channels as actual people (including people who aren't pop stars, or y'know, complete corporate fabrications). It's fucking creepy.

This post deserves to be thread marked, I don't understand how you can look at this and pass it off as not being emotionally manipulative.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The approach is totally different. Whereas (as a poster above showed) many fictional characters are used in campaigns to help promote awareness (and help the target audience handle their situations) or a fictional character in a show suffers from something (to help make it relatable), in this case the fictional character is asking for direct support from its users. It creates a fake relationship, because now it interacts with people rather than just pass a message, and does so to build engagement in a product brand.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Not against promotional RP accounts (I like the one for Murdoc from Gorillaz for one, which is always humorous), but this one is indeed getting gross with the manipulation. I thought it was cute when they started, but the more it goes on the worse it looks, especially when you consider the company's history.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Everything surrounding Seraphine has been weird as hell.

The fake person on social media never once breaking the illusion of being a real person

A character that gets a ultimate skin on champ release and one that is underwhelming to top it off

Underwhelming lore

And after all this teasing and hyping up her kit is something that might as well be a full rework of Sona

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

This is not that.

This is a fake character, purely as a marketing tool, directly asking for emotional support through social media engagement. Through the same channels as actual people (including people who aren't pop stars, or y'know, complete corporate fabrications). It's fucking creepy.

EkWtEDiWAAEKTTe

They even printed out a bunch of tweets and put them on a real life board.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick skim over all of this, it feels like it shows how little they think of their audience

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't like this, but on the other hand it seems like you have to opt in by way of following this fake person in order for you to see it in the first place. If that's your thing, I guess you're probably into this. But I don't know; fake youtubers and this kind of thing are alien and offputting to me.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like they wanted to kind of just recreate Ariana Grande and similar stars, but in doing so, they also replicated what was perceived as genuine emotional struggles, which, much like xeroxing a nice photograph, comes out twisted and disturbing.

If they had thought it through a bit better, they could probably have created this marketing campaign in a way that actually seemed like it was genuinely trying to support and educate people about mental health issues.

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017
The worst part is this isn't marketing for a champion. It's marketing for her ultimate skin which costs 35 bucks at least.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I don't follow LoL, but I don't see anything wrong with this. Seems like a cool way to give the character some personality.

EDIT: If it's for a skin, it's a bit excessive but at least they're having some fun with it.

Oct 27, 2017

Riot runs Seraphine as if it was a real person, it is not a Frozen, Batman or Iron-Man that you see on TV. It is not Downey talking on twitter as someone who plays Iron-Man, the scenario you looking at is Iron-Man or Elsa social media presence being run by Disney, never breaking the illusion that Iron-Man is a character who reads your tweets and goes to make Avengers movies. However, the goal of Seraphine is to sell you skins and merch. When actors talk on social media, some of it is contractual obligations, but for the most part, their tweets are their own. They don't come from Disney PR department, you like RDJ as Iron-Man, and you follow RDJ in real life.

Plus, it all feels fake as fuck. The entire "Career" of hers was condensed within several months of song covers and paintings. You are supposed to cheer for her for making to the big stage and becoming a popstar. And then you are supposed to pay €30+ for her in the game, to show your support.

Riot's PR department is using Seraphine as a creepy marketing exercise. They struck gold with KDA, and took it to the extreme breaking point.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Twitter is guilty too for letting their "verified" mark be used on a fake account.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It's creepy. It's weird. It's somewhat manipulative.

I don't really have a huge problem with it. Is it using real emotions in an interactive medium to bait responses that can be interpreted as cynical marketing and engagement? Yes, absolutely. That's ABSOLUTELY what it is. And that's ALSO exactly what happens on the daily with YouTubers, Twitch streamers, and celebrities of every stripe.

Yes, it's weird that this person is fake. But on a purely pragmatic level, what's the difference? I've never met any of the blue checkmarks on twitter. I have no idea about their "actual" personalities offline. I don't know what they're like with their friends in private. If I can connect with their struggles (in a positive way) despite never meeting them, then I'm not going to try to disqualify that for myself with an in-depth analysis of parasocial relationships. This is that.. just.. to the nth degree.

(Maybe I'm biased cuz I thought the songs were decent before I found out she was fake ;) lol)

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
A fake person has a verified account that's asking for mental health support via the internet.

Huh. 2020 continues to surprise.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
it is really really really bad. Here is a good podcast about it.

Hey thanks!

I think this is a much larger problem than it seems on the surface. It being really shitty in regards to a fictional twitter personality having mental health problems is just the start. This humanizes brands even further than they already are, which is all kinds of fucked up.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

The main issue people are taking is that KDA is basically an ad for League of Legends. So instead of being for art or for education it's just to feel relatable.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I mean Spiderman is basically an ad for.. Spiderman. Is it ok if Spiderman is sad on film so long as he doesn't do it on twitter?

I guess I just don't get it.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
If you don't see how this is terrible you need to get some perspective. And comparing this to actual streamers is disgusting. Manipulative insulting trash is all this is.