Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I know its typical for channels to hate on Sonic, but as a startup publisher it seems kind of counterproductive to do the whole glitch compilation make fun of devs hard work shtick.

He's launched his entire career doing this sort of thing, and he's in a position to where he can become a start up publisher because of it. Developers already know his thing. Anyone who would be turned off by him, have already been turned off.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
Dunkey always reminded me of a more palatable Michael <sp?> from rooster teeth with the whole rage quit thing years ago. It will be something to see what devs sign up to be published by his company based off of his usual niche.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
That last part with the user scores was so unnecessary and comes across as "look at Sonic fans liking awful games"

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Yeah I thought the video was pretty good all things considered, but this is just the expected side effect of youtubers posting glitch compilations alongside user reviews, at this point

FhfQVUqacAARRbu

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
That last part with the user scores was so unnecessary and comes across as "look at Sonic fans liking awful games"

Dont know what to tell you……… lol

As someone who is not a sonic fan, its incredibly obvious that sonic games get a pass because they have sonic in them. Which is great in my book… if sonic fans like what they are getting, kudos to everyone involved. Its just kinda strange to have them show up alongside objective classics in video gaming history, reviews-wise.

Maybe they ARE classics in fan's minds. Its just like a parallel universe that needs to exist alongside the rest of gaming lol.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I thought the Dreams part was funny especially when later clips of Sonic Frontiers had the "Made In Dreams" watermark still overlayed lol

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Dunkey. I don't even like Sonic but inventing some 4D chess bullshit to deny the possibility that your fans take your bit too seriously is clown shit.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

As someone who is not a sonic fan, its incredibly obvious that sonic games get a pass because they have sonic in them. Which is great in my book… if sonic fans like what they are getting, kudos to everyone involved. Its just kinda strange to have them show up alongside objective classics in video gaming history, reviews-wise.

Maybe they ARE classics in fan's minds. Its just like a parallel universe that needs to exist alongside the rest of gaming lol.

As someone who is a Sonic fan, I have no idea what you're talking about. I have never seen any Sonic game get a pass just because a cartoon hedgehog is on the box. The previous two mainline 3D Sonic games before this one were ripped to shreds by fans because they were bad. This one is getting praised because it's good.

I find it much stranger to care whatsoever about how Sonic games compare with other "objective classics" on Metacritic, a site where the vast majority of users will give a game a 10 or a 0 and don't even have to have played the game to review it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think the fact Dunkey's video was able to drop the user average by (currently) 0.4 just shows how pointless metacritics' user score mechanic is. It's far too easy to manipulate the number by review bombing positively or negatively.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I didn't realize people paid attention to user scores.

This wasn't a review of the game, as a couple people here have stated. He labels those "dunkviews" and are generally more serious and actually, dare I say it, insightful.

He's just clowning on Sonic.

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
I personally think Metacritic user score should be connected to your playstation/xbox account with at least 5-10 hours gameplay to unlock a rating. Currently any tom dick and harry can leave a score.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Don't get me wrong. Sonic Frontiers sure does have a lot of jank, but I wonder.
What devs would like to work with a guy who usually cherry picks things in games to make them appear like a joke/mess for the sake of comedy and is cool with having his fanbase brigade those games with bad reviews.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I will admit I find his videos about Assassin's Creed or Knack pretty funny, but he's very unfair towards games and cherrypicks like crazy. He's a jerk

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Ah this was one of those videos. I've honestly never understood trying to make a game fun for yourself by laughing at glitches and stuff.

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017

Sonic games NEVER get a pass what are you on about? Even Sonic fans are quick to jump on a game when it isn't good.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017

Nice revisionist history you've concocted there.

Oct 25, 2017
Now he's pretending Sonic fans are review bombing the game themselves.

View: https://twitter.com/vgdunkey/status/1592145437053558787

Both Dunkey and James Stephanie Sterling are showing their entire asses with this game. Not because of the negative reviews, but because they're being intentionally inflammatory and then acting like the people being baited taking offense to said bait is unreasonable somehow.

So him assuming "sonic fans" are review bombing frontiers is a bit farfetched but with names like "Dunkeyfan" there is a pretty good chance people are trying to use this to make him look worse, or his fans are actually idiots.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's MetaCritic user scores... who cares. They've always been the land of 10s and 0s.

Video wasn't Dunkey's best work, but still some funny shit in it.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
So him assuming "sonic fans" are review bombing frontiers is a bit farfetched but with names like "Dunkeyfan" there is a pretty good chance people are trying to use this to make him look worse, or his fans are actually idiots.
yeah, I don't think actual sonic fans are doing this but still people who are just trying to start up shit

the reaction to the end of the video and the scores shown at the end of the video is yet another example of why user ratings are dumb and shouldn't be taken seriously

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think theres any problem with the end of his Sonic video. Even acknowledging that his video is a sliced up selection of worst possible moments, the user score for Frontiers is obviously absurdly high and most people would be confused by it. It's not like he asked people to go lower it

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I dont think theres any problem with the end of his Sonic video. Even acknowledging that his video is a sliced up selection of worst possible moments, the user score for Frontiers is obviously absurdly high and most people would be confused by it. It's not like he asked people to go lower it
But the implication
342jqt.gif

Last edited:

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
My patience for Dunkey has lessened over the years but even I could tell he was cherry-picking a bunch in that Sonic one.

Also no Sonic fan legitimately thinks these games are better than something like Hades or BOTW, that's ridiculous. People are just happy we didn't get another Forces and that Sega is actually taking the franchise a little more seriously.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
I'm gonna be interesting to see how Dunkey feels when games he is publishing starts getting hit with content like this.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
My patience for Dunkey has lessened over the years but even I could tell he was cherry-picking a bunch in that Sonic one.

Also no Sonic fan legitimately thinks these games are better than something like Hades or BOTW, that's ridiculous. People are just happy we didn't get another Forces and that Sega is actually taking the franchise a little more seriously.
Uh, I do. I don't really care about what Dunkey did, but statements like that are what annoy me. Gaming is a hobby, so if I think Sonic is better/more fun than Zelda or whatever, what does it matter?

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017

IMO Forces is way better than Frontiers

Oct 27, 2017

What pass are sonic games getting? Frontiers got a 72 metacritic and that's like a local max for the series - with the exception of Mania, Sonic games have been floating in the 70s or scoring much lower for decades now. Multiple people here are acknowledging the game's shortcomings while praising the things it got right, I've not seen a significant portion of the fanbase hailing the game as the second coming of hedgehog Jesus.

Moreover who cares if the popular rating of the game matches up with various certified classics? Most of these have already been review-bombed anyway. Saying the score is "too high" and "should be brought down" sounds... I don't know, so funny and inconsequential. Especially if you haven't played the game and are not interested in doing so. It only strengthens the argument that most outlets should ditch scores so as to attract less trolls and more people who are actually interested in the game.

I guess it's not surprising dunkey refuses to take any accountability for the review bombing. Whether it's his army of goons, or angry sonic fans, or trolls trying to get people mad (it's not like these sets don't have a common intersection) the video is the common denominator in this situation. "But I didn't ask them to do so" isn't an excuse when your platform is this big. At best he's too dumb to understand cause and effect, and at worst he knew exactly what he was doing in the end of the video.