chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
I apparently don't value my time at all, because who else could write a longish review of Dark Alliance, let alone play it to completion.

4-player co-op review:

I completed the game in around 11.5 hours with 3 brothers on the highest difficulty; two on PC and two on series X and S.

Miraculously I think we only had 2 disconnects or crashes between us. We didn't have to do any weird workarounds to finish the game, the exception being that the in game voice would randomly stop working between certain party members, and when disabling it to use Xbox party chat, the in game voice would still reactivate after every mission on PC.

For the first half of the game, combat was kind of fun just because of the sheer jankfest and co-op chaos. Enemies teleporting and rubber banding everywhere, lacking hit response by monsters, one shots everywhere, frantically trying to revive or exploit the unlimited respawn mechanic when things went to shit.

The mission structure is quite repetitive with the same 3 traps (timed ground spikes, wall flames, assorted ground hazards) used everywhere. Optional objectives could require you to find 20 hidden items, often leading to a 19/20 at the end of the mission.

The environments look pretty, but the characters are a mess, animations don't blend well, moves don't blend well and player motion constantly reconfigures time and space, sliding, t-posing and teleporting to oblivion. The same applies to enemies, with the added bonus of almost non existent AI increasing the jank further.

Controls are a complete mess. Most attacks aim where your camera aims, but many abilities would go off in the direction your character was pointing. The game has very strange input buffering when it shouldn't, and no buffering where you'd expect. Animation canceling could be done by dodging, but seemed to randomly work with only certain abilities and attacks without logic to it.

Important inputs like reviving or climbing a ladder require you to stand completely still for a few seconds for the prompt to show, and required no other input at the same time to be able to activate. With network latency combined with a lack of input buffering, revives and ladders felt like performing surgery .

Pulling off some of the learned combos felt at times random. You could do it 10 times in a row in the lobby area, then fail to pull it off once during a mission. Attempting to time blocks/parries was a crapshoot due to latency and poor buffering.

The impact of character abilities was low and lacked adequate explaination. The tutorial barely explains stuff. Ultimate abilities are not described anywhere in game (perhaps on the character select screen? Can't remember).

The game has 30 different status effects that aren't explained anywhere. There's even a legend that shows every icon with a name, but not what they do (didn't check for tooltips on this page, tooltips were quite good other places).

Attacks are wildly unbalanced. Some special abilities would be outdamaged by basic attacks and animation lock you. Some learned basic combo moves could outdamage the ultimate abilities.

The special "interact" combo where you have to press the interact button after hitting something, did more damage than most ults at 1/4 the cost of your ult meter. This "interact" combo also seemed to randomly work or not work, despite having enough ult meter and doing the same move you combo'd it after a million times over.

The loot system was a pain to interact with. All of the unique stats came from set bonuses. Every item is part of a set, with bonus thresholds at 3, 5 and 8 set items equipped. Ultimately, these set bonuses were meaningless because you outlevel the content with just basic item stats anyway.

The sorting interface reverted to default after every mission. When sorting by set bonus to sell the worst of each set item, the list would rearrange the order of sorted sets after selling each item.

Items have random basic attribute bonuses; the amount of stats and number ranges improved by rarity.

Legendary items don't have unique abilities, only bigger numbers.

We had lvl 5(max) gear after the third full mission. This gear didn't have to be replaced for the entirety of the game. Occasionally you'd get a rarity upgrade that fit, but even legendaries don't have any interesting stats, only more of the basic stats with higher numbers (launch Diablo 3 flashback).

We pretty much maxed out characters, abilities and items around the halfway mark.

At this point the combat was trivially easy and we didn't need any more upgrades. We speedran the final 3 missions since there was no progression left and the combat had gotten stale and we tired of the game.

Most of the fun was had making fun of the jank and doing dumb co-op stuff with my super easy going bros. Almost nothing works as expected, itemisation is dull, the story didn't register on any of us, the characters displayed no character. Every aspect of Dark Alliance is incomplete or outright bad.

If you can get 4 jank-loving people together on gamepass, and can't find ANY other game to play together, you can have 6 hours of fun-ish. Otherwise, it's a rip off, even for free.

One out of four.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
I apparently don't value my time at all, because who else could write a longish review of Dark Alliance, let alone play it to completion.

4-player co-op review:

I completed the game in around 11.5 hours with 3 brothers on the highest difficulty; two on PC and two on series X and S.

Miraculously I think we only had 2 disconnects or crashes between us. We didn't have to do any weird workarounds to finish the game, the exception being that the in game voice would randomly stop working between certain party members, and when disabling it to use Xbox party chat, the in game voice would still reactivate after every mission on PC.

For the first half of the game, combat was kind of fun just because of the sheer jankfest and co-op chaos. Enemies teleporting and rubber banding everywhere, lacking hit response by monsters, one shots everywhere, frantically trying to revive or exploit the unlimited respawn mechanic when things went to shit.

The mission structure is quite repetitive with the same 3 traps (timed ground spikes, wall flames, assorted ground hazards) used everywhere. Optional objectives could require you to find 20 hidden items, often leading to a 19/20 at the end of the mission.

The environments look pretty, but the characters are a mess, animations don't blend well, moves don't blend well and player motion constantly reconfigures time and space, sliding, t-posing and teleporting to oblivion. The same applies to enemies, with the added bonus of almost non existent AI increasing the jank further.

Controls are a complete mess. Most attacks aim where your camera aims, but many abilities would go off in the direction your character was pointing. The game has very strange input buffering when it shouldn't, and no buffering where you'd expect. Animation canceling could be done by dodging, but seemed to randomly work with only certain abilities and attacks without logic to it.

Important inputs like reviving or climbing a ladder require you to stand completely still for a few seconds for the prompt to show, and required no other input at the same time to be able to activate. With network latency combined with a lack of input buffering, revives and ladders felt like performing surgery .

Pulling off some of the learned combos felt at times random. You could do it 10 times in a row in the lobby area, then fail to pull it off once during a mission. Attempting to time blocks/parries was a crapshoot due to latency and poor buffering.

The impact of character abilities was low and lacked adequate explaination. The tutorial barely explains stuff. Ultimate abilities are not described anywhere in game (perhaps on the character select screen? Can't remember).

The game has 30 different status effects that aren't explained anywhere. There's even a legend that shows every icon with a name, but not what they do (didn't check for tooltips on this page, tooltips were quite good other places).

Attacks are wildly unbalanced. Some special abilities would be outdamaged by basic attacks and animation lock you. Some learned basic combo moves could outdamage the ultimate abilities.

The special "interact" combo where you have to press the interact button after hitting something, did more damage than most ults at 1/4 the cost of your ult meter. This "interact" combo also seemed to randomly work or not work, despite having enough ult meter and doing the same move you combo'd it after a million times over.

The loot system was a pain to interact with. All of the unique stats came from set bonuses. Every item is part of a set, with bonus thresholds at 3, 5 and 8 set items equipped. Ultimately, these set bonuses were meaningless because you outlevel the content with just basic item stats anyway.

The sorting interface reverted to default after every mission. When sorting by set bonus to sell the worst of each set item, the list would rearrange the order of sorted sets after selling each item.

Items have random basic attribute bonuses; the amount of stats and number ranges improved by rarity.

Legendary items don't have unique abilities, only bigger numbers.

We had lvl 5(max) gear after the third full mission. This gear didn't have to be replaced for the entirety of the game. Occasionally you'd get a rarity upgrade that fit, but even legendaries don't have any interesting stats, only more of the basic stats with higher numbers (launch Diablo 3 flashback).

We pretty much maxed out characters, abilities and items around the halfway mark.

At this point the combat was trivially easy and we didn't need any more upgrades. We speedran the final 3 missions since there was no progression left and the combat had gotten stale and we tired of the game.

Most of the fun was had making fun of the jank and doing dumb co-op stuff with my super easy going bros. Almost nothing works as expected, itemisation is dull, the story didn't register on any of us, the characters displayed no character. Every aspect of Dark Alliance is incomplete or outright bad.

If you can get 4 jank-loving people together on gamepass, and can't find ANY other game to play together, you can have 6 hours of fun-ish. Otherwise, it's a rip off, even for free.

One out of four.

Pretty much nailed it. I forgot to mention the lack of explanation concerning abilities and status effects. I also forgot to mention having to sell items one at a time and having to hold a button down to do it....

Yet here I am continuing to play it. At least it has me looking into other hack and slash coop ARPGs now that I'm interested in the genre.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I've been playing it with my friend here and there, and for as bad as it is, it's somewhat enjoyable co-op. There's a stunning amount of problems which you covered chipperrip, and from my experience so far I agree with your assessment. There's also been several missoins so far where yes... we got 19/20, despite searching for like an hour for the last one. It was pretty maddening Lol. It's SO janky. But it's just enjoyable enough as a co op experience to keep rolling. The cutscenes are pretty neat at least. I have a hard time getting off most attacks, specials dont always cast proprely or just cancel themselves, team attack has never worked for me despite seeing the pop up (and no tutorial about it). etc etc. It's just really disappointing.

Is there another similar game out there that has 2-4 player action combat like this? because I really do quite like the STRUCTURE of the game, the multiplayer mission based fantasy action rpg. I would love to see this game done to a high quality level, it could be really something.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much nailed it. I forgot to mention the lack of explanation concerning abilities and status effects. I also forgot to mention having to sell items one at a time and having to hold a button down to do it....

Yet here I am continuing to play it. At least it has me looking into other hack and slash coop ARPGs now that I'm interested in the genre.

You mean... like Diablo? ;)

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
I also forgot to mention having to sell items one at a time and having to hold a button down to do it....

Yeah, here's too much "hold button to interact" in this game, that's especially a chore in menus. Just had the same issue with Outriders.

I have a hard time getting off most attacks, specials dont always cast proprely or just cancel themselves, team attack has never worked for me despite seeing the pop up (and no tutorial about it). etc etc.

Is there another similar game out there that has 2-4 player action combat like this? because I really do quite like the STRUCTURE of the game, the multiplayer mission based fantasy action rpg. I would love to see this game done to a high quality level, it could be really something.

HOLY SHIT, forgot about "team attack" . As you say, never explained. Always seemed to trigger upon killing the final enemy in an encounter, or while stuck mid animation of a long attack.

The comedy of the game, seeing all 4 of us swing out team attacks at nothing after nearly every encounter. Oof.

Also, shout out to the 3 minute unskippable post game screen, with the gold earnings screen nominated for "loudest video game audio source" at this years game awards.

As for similar co-op games, I warmly recommended Vermintide 2 if you don't mind first person perspective. It's currently on console gamepass, but well worth normal price.

Apart from the weird gameplay feel, my biggest issue is the lack of loot rooms after beating a boss.

At the very least, I really dislike how, upon beating a boss, it locks out your controls and you just stand there like an idiot. Let me jump around and celebrate a bit!

Beyond that, if you beat a boss you should get to open a chest or two. That's just how it works. I know you get a couple items for beating a level, but let me steal those things from the boss's stash myself!

Bonus mention: Whoever decided to animate all the flags in the game with like three frames of animation is a weirdo.

This is spot on. Dark alliance has the least satisfying mission end of any game.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Boom finally found this thread after playing this with some pals last night!

Legit my sleeper game of the summer

Is it janky and flawed? Hell yeah it is

Is it worth the 40 bucks for the amount of fun I had with friends last night? Why yes... Yes it is

Seriously this game legit suprised me with how much is actually here. It's feels like those amazing AA games that dont get made anymore

Pure fun gaming comfort food thats legit great despite being quite a mess in a few areas lol. I am not even that far in but I can already see that the people that made this clearly had fun doing so and they had some pretty good influences that they built upon here

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017

It's a different beast, but have you ever tried Vermintide 2? More left 4 dead than this, but it actually melds a few genres. And it's really fun in co op. Or even solo, for that matter. And it's on Gamepass.

For what it's worth, I played DA for an hour and then turned it off permanently.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
holy crap people were not kidding around with that lag. Tried co-op with both of us through xCloud (theoretically MS servers talking to eachother) and it was unplayable. It wasn't xCloud lag, but in-game lag with delayed hit reactions and mistimed animations.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope they're able to put in the time to fix this. I love the core concept and so much of it is done well enough that the issues it does have are really mind boggling.... like "did anyone even playtest this?" mind-boggling.

Road-to-repair (imo):
  • Gotta be able to cancel moves/animations....right now once you press the attack button it's basically jesus-take-the-wheel until the animation ends
  • Please let us disable the camera/FOV zoom when locking on to enemies
  • It's hilarious that you're invulnerable when reviving friends (this is also due to animations not be cancellable/interruptable)
  • Fix the weird elevator jank/stutter
  • AI is insanely dumb and won't attack you until you are like 3 feet away from them

It's so frustrating how nicely done some parts of this game (visual, voice work, UI) are in comparison to how bad the actual combat is.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
holy crap people were not kidding around with that lag. Tried co-op with both of us through xCloud (theoretically MS servers talking to eachother) and it was unplayable. It wasn't xCloud lag, but in-game lag with delayed hit reactions and mistimed animations.

I hope they iron things out and tune this game up over time

Honestly outside of the performance issues the game is legit very cool

I really hope they're able to put in the time to fix this. I love the core concept and so much of it is done well enough that the issues it does have are really mind boggling.... like "did anyone even playtest this?" mind-boggling.

Road-to-repair (imo):
  • Gotta be able to cancel moves/animations....right now once you press the attack button it's basically jesus-take-the-wheel until the animation ends
  • Please let us disable the camera/FOV zoom when locking on to enemies
  • It's hilarious that you're invulnerable when reviving friends (this is also due to animations not be cancellable/interruptable)
  • Fix the weird elevator jank/stutter
  • AI is insanely dumb and won't attack you until you are like 3 feet away from them

It's so frustrating how nicely done some parts of this game (visual, voice work, UI) are in comparison to how bad the actual combat is.

1 - As much as I appreciate a good cancel button I appreciate the animation commitment and you kind of CAN cancel out of some moves already with dodge rolls... almost to the degree of giving the player a very clear advantage in battle over the enemies if it weren't for the stamina. It feels very much like a faster paced and less refined dark souls and I kind of dig it. If you tuned it any faster it would turn this into more of an easy mode button masher than it is now and hell it already toes on that line. I think there is a balance to be struck here and I honestly have a larger issue with the input lag than how the move cancelling is setup

2 - YES PLEASE. I pretty much play completely unlocked because of this

3 - I think they just need to fix this. Feels like a bug

4 - YUP. No idea why elevators cause so many problems. Seeing this level of jutter on PS5 is mind boggling. Must be an engine problem?

5 - Depends on the enemy but yeah on the whole they are quite dumb but this is a pretty dumb battler. At least certain enemies do pose a significant threat. I don't mind a range of dumb and hard enemies interspersed in the game.

Nice write up overall!

Last edited:

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Does anyone else have frequent issues with accidental inputs? Like I'll use a fierce attack while walking backwards and the game will think I'm pressing down+fierce. Which locks me into an animation that has led to death multiple times. It's not an every time sort of deal, but it happens a lot more than I would like.

Honestly, I'm near the end of the missions available on the map at camp and while I am enjoying my time over all, it is a shame to see a really solid foundation just lack that bit of polish from keeping it great.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying the game but damn it could be so much better

Hoping patches fix it

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I can't seem to create a custom lobby anymore (Xbox) - it just loops forever at "searching for a session"

edit: Nevermind it went through eventually...

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
It's a bad game. Like, even with others, still a really bad game. Not as bad as solo, but bad.

www.heypoorplayer.com

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Review (Xbox One)

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Review: Dungeons & Dragons Fans Deserve Better I’ve enjoyed role-playing games for most of my life, but my knowledge of Dungeons & Dragons could fit in a thimble. Okay, maybe a

Oct 27, 2017
Played this and I'm at Chapter 2. I'd say it's a 5-6/10. Camera is a bit wank during battles, and combat is kinda mediocre too. Far from the worst game I've played, but it could do with some more polish.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me who has unplayable lag online? I thought I read they fixed it in a patch but holy shit, I'm talking up to 10 seconds between performing an action and it actually happening

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me who has unplayable lag online? I thought I read they fixed it in a patch but holy shit, I'm talking up to 10 seconds between performing an action and it actually happening

I haven't had it that bad, and it has improved. It's still unplayable, though. The game feels like shit to play online and I've just been waiting for local multi.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had it that bad, and it has improved. It's still unplayable, though. The game feels like shit to play online and I've just been waiting for local multi.

Yea, might have been a combination of my internet playing up + the game having bad online. Think we're gonna give it one more try before moving on