• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
When you think about it,
the nephews just got screwed.

Webby is now the sole heir to Scrooge McDuck's fortune. And thanks to the McDuck curse, she's likely as immortal as he is (at least when it comes to eventually no longer aging). Even if she dies, her sisters (daughters?) inherit the fortune after her. Huey, Dewey and Louie just went to the back of the line big-time. Huey would be furious.

I'd love to see an episode of her and her sisters going to Castle McDuck with this new revelation.

I still don't like how Scrooge basically brushed off May and June who at the very least are his granddaughters. They both have his DNA. Even if Webby's technically their mother, she'd see them as her twin sisters, seeing as they are the exact same age.

I wonder if Webby will keep the April or Vanderquack name as her middle name?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the DuckTales finale, and honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of it. I didn't like how the second half was a repetitive "captured, escape, captured, escape" pattern. I did enjoy seeing so much stuff come back, and particularly the ending credits, though.

Aspects of this story should have been introduced earlier, rather than being all incorporated here. Also, everything coming down to fights and luck, rather than outsmarting the villains, doesn't seem appropriate.

Webby being Scrooge's artificial daughter particularly feels like it wasn't handled quite right. Really the emphasis on her relation to Scrooge more than anything; this story didn't bring their connection to the forefront, and regarding her relationship with Ms. Beakley, it doesn't feel like it really changes much. In general, it's hard to see how this would make a meaningful difference to any of the characters. Outside of things like inheritance, which shouldn't really be the big takeaway of this event.

Keith Davidson and the Gargoyles references were cool.

Also I really don't get Phantom Blot's deal. Magica was captured (off screen) yet he's still continuing on his merry way as a villain.

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the show and was fine with ending.

I think one more season could have allowed some additional breathing room but overall zero complaints

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So like...

If Webby is considered Scrooge's daughter because she was cloned from him, then wouldn't the fact that May and June were cloned from Webby mean that they were her daughters by that same weird clone logic and not sisters?
Because Webby is not an exact copy of Scrooge, she is a modified creation that had to count as Scrooge's descendant to make the papyrus appear, May and June are instead exact copies of Webby and so are indeed more like her twins on a genetic standpoint

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It was very touching that when the twist was revealed that there was no hesitation in Scrooge's embrace along with reassurances for Bentina.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you think about it,

Webby is now the sole heir to Scrooge McDuck's fortune. And thanks to the McDuck curse, she's likely as immortal as he is (at least when it comes to eventually no longer aging). Even if she dies, her sisters (daughters?) inherit the fortune after her. Huey, Dewey and Louie just went to the back of the line big-time. Huey would be furious.

I'd love to see an episode of her and her sisters going to Castle McDuck with this new revelation.

I still don't like how Scrooge basically brushed off May and June who at the very least are his granddaughters. They both have his DNA. Even if Webby's technically their mother, she'd see them as her twin sisters, seeing as they are the exact same age.

but then it means
Donald did a big brain move by adopring May and June

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
When you think about it,

Scrooge's parents are still alive, under most inheritance laws they would have taken before Donald or Della. The boys have never stood to inherit directly.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Do we even know that Scrooge plans to leave an inheritance? Before people brought it up, I just assumed Scrooge would have his money buried with him.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Do we even know that Scrooge plans to leave an inheritance? Before people brought it up, I just assumed Scrooge would have his money buried with him.
How does that keep the baddies getting his money then? In addition to desecrating his final resting place?
If he's keeping his wealth secure and hidden, it won't be some place obvious that ne'er do wells will go looking for it.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
That revelation wasn't in the original show, right?

I liked that all the file names they were seeing ended in 87 (original show's start year)

I still don't get why they had to end this in 3 years. There is so much potential and some baddies barely got used at all - in the old she the Beagle Boys were way more prominent.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That revelation wasn't in the original show, right?

I liked that all the file names they were seeing ended in 87 (original show's start year)

I still don't get why they had to end this in 3 years. There is so much potential and some baddies barely got used at all - in the old she the Beagle Boys were way more prominent.
It was not, though that character was created as a replacement for the other characters, so this is a novel take on the gimmick.

Also, Disney tends to stick to three season orders.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the latter third of the finale was its weakest, and not because of the twist (I actually thought that was pretty cool). Sad the series is over - it was an extremely good show overall.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
It was not, though that character was created as a replacement for the other characters, so this is a novel take on the gimmick.

Also, Disney tends to stick to three season orders.

yeah I get the whole thing Disney does with shows, however Ducktales is basically a classic for them - it's not like it's some other show they are trying out. It's merchandising heaven.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
yeah I get the whole thing Disney does with shows, however Ducktales is basically a classic for them - it's not like it's some other show they are trying out. It's merchandising heaven.
That would probably make them more likely to stick to the 65 episode rule. The point of it is with 65 episodes they can broadcast 1 episode per weekday and run through a whole show every quarter of the year.

It's a system that makes less and less sense as streaming services put every episode of a show in everyone's hands on demand.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I am a big fan of Disney cartoons (obviously). The last one I actually watched on TV was the Grom episode of The Owl House. And that was after watching it on DisneyNOW twice. TV ratings should mean little to nothing these days.

Aug 7, 2019
Scrooge giving up adventuring but Bradford still getting his comeuppance would've been the best way to incorporate Scrooge's responsibility lesson(Magica/Glomgold/Beagle would also have a better reason to do the crow thing to Bradford as he destroyed their fun obsession for good), something bittersweet that doesn't get in the way of the legacy theme (and Scrooge would be able to take on the "adventures" of retirement with Goldie and raising an actual daughter that he could rub in Bradford's face without a literal contract burn win via that logic).

There's some nice symmetry with Webby finding a long lost father like the boys found their long lost mother, but I do think May/June needed to at least have been put in a situation where the mutual jealousy arc they had with Lena/Violet was solved on-screen before the end credits. I can buy Donald being eager with the adoption if the show had addressed Donald feeling like he had done all he can for the triplets with Della being so involved and now capable and that being why he wanted to leave with Daisy.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm disappointed the show ended. It honestly could have used a 4th season. The finale seems a bit rushed.
It was a fantastic show though.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught up and it was a nice ending but sucks because it ended, at least I got to see Darkwing one last time before the reboot.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watched through to the finale today. I'm sad the show is over, but I absolutely LOVED the finale. Definitely felt like it went out on a high note. (My wife kept comparing it to Avengers Endgame, with every character seemingly getting their moment to shine.)

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

Sorry to bump this after so long, but couple things have come up that I wish to share to anyone who still has this thread on watch.

1) I've already posted about this in The Western Animation OT but here it is again:
DuckTales '17 Art Book revealed, out October 4th. DarkHorse is the publisher.

Preorder links:
Standard - $49.99
Deluxe Edition - $99.99

This is kinda important because it's a rare thing indeed for DTA shows to get anything comprehensive like an artbook these days. Gravity Falls was supposed to get one, but that fell through. Meanwhile Disney movies get all that and more. How well this book does could very well aid in the production of other books based on DTA properties.

On another note, it was recently alleged that the crew behind DuckTales '17 were in the early stages of producing a Darkwing Duck spin-off of their own, before Seth Rogen's company entered the picture. The evidence:

poster art that was apparently never meant to be shared publicly:
FQzly_hXwAgjQUX

and "confirmation" of its legitimacy by the person who originally shared the pic

I know it all seems kinda flimsy unless an actual crew member chimes in to verify, but it jives with the general sentiment among fans that the Darkwing-focused episodes of the DuckTales reboot were something of a back-door pilot for a spinoff that never materialized.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Man, we could be watching new episodes of this tomorrow while also looking forward to a Darkwing Duck reboot by the same folks. Such a travesty.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still mad the Ducktales reboot stopped so early. This is just rubbing salt in the wound...

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FQzly_hXwAgjQUX

and "confirmation" of its legitimacy by the person who originally shared the pic

I know it all seems kinda flimsy unless an actual crew member chimes in to verify, but it jives with the general sentiment among fans that the Darkwing-focused episodes of the DuckTales reboot were something of a back-door pilot for a spinoff that never materialized.

goddamn it nooooooo

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
On another note, it was recently alleged that the crew behind DuckTales '17 were in the early stages of producing a Darkwing Duck spin-off of their own, before Seth Rogen's company entered the picture. The evidence:

FQzly_hXwAgjQUX

GODDAMNIT!!!!

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man this fucking sucks. I wanted a Darkwing Duck reboot show as well and I really liked the episodes in Ducktales. Fucking bullshit.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Every time this thread is bumped, I get depressed. I really wanted DW to effectively continue DuckTales.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

Sorry to bump this after so long, but couple things have come up that I wish to share to anyone who still has this thread on watch.

1) I've already posted about this in The Western Animation OT but here it is again:

This is kinda important because it's a rare thing indeed for DTA shows to get anything comprehensive like an artbook these days. Gravity Falls was supposed to get one, but that fell through. Meanwhile Disney movies get all that and more. How well this book does could very well aid in the production of other books based on DTA properties.

FQzly_hXwAgjQUX

Fucking damn it.

I thought the Rogen project was going to be connected to the '17 Ducktales. This sucks.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I hadn't heard anything about a Seth Rogen Darkwing. All I knew was Darkwing was being made after Ducktales was over. Why would they change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.