• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
First proper DS teardown. Shows how relatively easy it is to do if you know what you're doing. Shows lots of detail about the controller and how the adaptive triggers work. It is exactly how the patent shows and Dave described in his video. Also shows why you can't easily break it.

they added a sound dampener to the face buttons so looks like noise canceling mic isn't doing all the work. Would also explain why some people are saying the buttons are a tad mushier because their rebound doesn't hit the plastic. Softer contact pads too.

Not sure I'm happy with changes to the buttons just to serve a feature like built in mic that I don't care about at all. I'd have to try the buttons for myself to form an opinion though.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
First proper DS teardown. Shows how relatively easy it is to do if you know what you're doing. Shows lots of detail about the controller and how the adaptive triggers work. It is exactly how the patent shows and Dave described in his video. Also shows why you can't easily break it.

Boy was that interesting to watch. Those simple improvements over the DS4 and other controllers. Especially that simple adjustment to improve longevity of the Left and Right Stick. Taking into consideration how often they are used for sprinting forward.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

This was fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Adaptive triggers are working exactly like we thought they would based on the patents. Interesting that it's all plastic, though. Hope they don't wear too much over time.

Those voice-coil actuators are huuuuge!

Comparison with Switch Pro Controller's linear resonant actuators:

Switch:
50548880538_c4de1ba2ed_o.png

Dualsense:
50549609711_de9fea78a9_o.png

There's no wonder it has such much more intensity and depth.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Adaptive triggers are working exactly like we thought they would based on the patents. Interesting that it's all plastic, though. Hope they don't wear too much over time.

Switch:

Dualsense:

Yea, I can't say I'm surprised Joy-con haptics pale in comparison to the DualSense's lol. Just look at the motor, size, placement and footprint differences.

fomalhaut-2.jpg

D2-Uja-Dgs3-XDWj-Fl-P-medium.jpg

Screenshot-20201031-044614-You-Tube-01-01-01.jpg

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I can't say I'm surprised Joy-con haptics pale in comparison to the DualSense's lol. Just look at the motor, size, placement and footprint differences.

fomalhaut-2.jpg

D2-Uja-Dgs3-XDWj-Fl-P-medium.jpg

Can't even come close to comparing. And don't get me wrong: HD Rumble IS cool. It's a cool technology and can provide some really accurate feedback. Unfortunately, they're far too small to provide the depth, intensity, or directionality that it's looking like the Dualsense can offer with those massive VCAs.

Another comparsion, with the Switch Pro Controller, to get a sense of its placement in a controller more the size and shape of the Dualsense:

50548973918_1a7854b3f3_o.png

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The trigger mechanism is pretty interesting. They did a great job keep it compact. Can't wait to play with it.

Screenshot_20201030-225541_YouTube.jpg

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Switch:

Dualsense:

I looked up the company that manufactured that, it's a Japanese company, this looks like a custom design it's crazy how large they are.
The plastic does worry me with it wearing out, maybe sooner than later due to the constant usage of them and how games will use them.
I don't thing the plastic will wear out based on it just being a gear and a corkscrew. There is nothing speed related that would cause enough friction over time imo.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you very much, I really hope this thing is easy to disassemble for repairs and battery replacement. Anything but something like Stadia's controller at the least.

Wow it looks nice to disassemble. I never seen a controller made like that, it looks fun, also Dualsense faceplate.

I think I will be disconnecting the microphone from my controllers (mainly for PC and I don't want extra microphones connected to windows).

Silent buttons, that's so nice.

The engeneering on this controller is nuts, so intricate.

Last edited:

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
I'm honestly really hyped for this controller since it was first presented, but after ther few previews in the past couple days I think it's the coolest thing I want to experience. Really the most next gen thing close to Demon's Souls.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Idk if it's been answered yet, but does the controller work at all on a PS4. If not I don't mind trying it out on the PC.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Idk if it's been answered yet, but does the controller work at all on a PS4. If not I don't mind trying it out on the PC.
It doesn't work on a PS4. I tried it. Hopefully a FW update will get it to work
I don't have a PC but it worked on my Mac and Android phone. Funny enough using remote play app on the Mac to PS4 it worked. But not from Android Remote Play
It also work wired to PS3

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Goddamn it! I'm so f'ing jealous! No outlet here in Sweden is selling the controllers earlier.
Would so love to get my hands on it. And I'm just making it harder on myself reading all the impressions.
But I can't stop! xD

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Looks like they put a lot of effort into making button presses quieter which is nice.

The D-Pad seems to be a downgrade though :(

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
It doesn't work on a PS4. I tried it. Hopefully a FW update will get it to work
I don't have a PC but it worked on my Mac and Android phone. Funny enough using remote play app on the Mac to PS4 it worked. But not from Android Remote Play
It also work wired to PS3
Lol it worked on a ps3 holy crap, yeah I'm guessing probably just a firmware update will fix it. Thanks for the response!

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I managed to get this thing to work on my PC through the 8bitdo adapter after updating the adapter's firmware.

Seems to work fine as a controller on Steam, but I am having a weird, very specific issue. I have Aokana on Steam and I like to play it with a controller, using the joysticks to control the mouse. For some reason, the game launches with the mouse constantly gliding at an upwards angle to the left. My joysticks themselves don't seem to have a calibration issue, it's ONLY if I launch with mouse control bound to either joystick. If I launch without special configurations, then bind the mouse control the joystick, everything is fine.

I tested this with a couple other games and it seems to be the same. What could this be?

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
This was very informative, and I don't even work on controllers. Hopefully the sprint issues will be solved now!

This was very informative, and I don't work on controllers. Hopefully the sprint issues will be solved now!

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The black trim once removed looks like an owl. Cool that it seems to be easily removed and therefore you could customise or buy different ones.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

Great video,
The sound damper on the buttons are a nice touch as well

Tesla

Feb 8, 2019
What about macOS? Someone can try if it's working on it.
Also I would like to know if it's working with GeForce Now and Stadia (macOS)

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
So now that we know we can test the haptics on windows via RL and RR audio channels, anyone got any good audio to test? I found this video to be a good one:

www.youtube.com

ASMR 1Hour Relaxing Wood Triggers 독보적! 섬세한 나무소리 장인🌳 1시간!

#vito#vitoasmr Thank you for visiting. I hope you have a relaxing time : ) 0:00 - Preview 1:06 - Tapping on cutting board 1:53 Blocks & cutting board 9:08 - ...

Definitely feels like wood tapping. Even captures the stereo nature of the footage. Good shit.

Edit: There's a section where he is dragging wooden cubes across the surface and I can legit feel the woodgrain differences as vibration as he passes over it. It's awesome.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
¿Is the D-Pad of the dualsense good? I'm really happy with Dualshock 4 d-pad and it would be a little disappointment if dualsenses d-pad is worse.

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
Thar's pretty great! Might generate more impressions for the rest of us while we wait...

That's my hope. Obviously anything we try is not audio designed for haptics in the way that game devs will be doing things. But I am honestly, truly impressed with the wood block video I used to demo it myself. I could feel the same woodgrain that I was seeing the block rub against. And then music is also fun in it, though not the same experience lol. A Moment Apart by ODESZA is a bassy, but not overly so song. But the DualSense THUMPS to it, even compared to songs that are definitely more bass oriented. It definitely seems to be playing a set range frequencies. I hope other DualSense owners check it out and post here as well.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I haven't seen a unboxing by linus yet... missing out on a few million views I bet... Punishment for ripping a dualsense apart before embargo ?

Linus also seems to be PC stuff than console stuff...

also, don't go to linus if you want to buy Nvidia stuff....that man (and channel) seems to have a hate-boner on nvidia for some reason.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

This is pretty big, if it works across any PS4 game. Maybe one of the 'surprises' DF referred to?

Sony is offering tools to devs that use a neural network to convert sound effects to an appropriate haptic response, but maybe it can also be used at runtime against the game's audio output? The VCAs can take any audio signal it seems, but maybe Sony's neural net/conversion does a better job vs a raw signal. Obviously this may not work as nicely as a well-authored haptic response, but if it works well, it could be a great enhancement for BC based on impressions of the controller.

But, I'm jumping a little ahead...I'm guessing we'll get more details on this when the embargos are up.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't even come close to comparing. And don't get me wrong: HD Rumble IS cool. It's a cool technology and can provide some really accurate feedback. Unfortunately, they're far too small to provide the depth, intensity, or directionality that it's looking like the Dualsense can offer with those massive VCAs.

Another comparsion, with the Switch Pro Controller, to get a sense of its placement in a controller more the size and shape of the Dualsense:

50548973918_1a7854b3f3_o.png

I don't understand how haptics work, if the motors are only in those 2 spots how can they make feel like something is rolling inside through out the whole controller for example and not just in those 2 spots?

Willracine

Feb 12, 2019
Do you think the dualsense is working on ps3 due that the controller is having a kind of dualshock 3 emulator layer inside for old ps3 remaster like demons souls ?

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017

Yesss I love teardowns.

Great video too, very informative.

Good to know it's easy to disassemble, unlike the way Austin attempted it. Of course it would be easy, this is a proper video game company; they wouldn't make a controller that can't be disassembled like Google did.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To me, the most disappointing result of there not being any BC enhancement patches is the lack of Dual Sense features being supported by the likes of God of War, Ghost of Tsushima etc.