• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 1, 2017
I passed my license on my second try almost exactly one year ago and both times it was the most stress inducing test I've ever had to pass. I'm still bad at driving, but at least I can go to places without public transportation.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I failed my first one because I rushed into it and I clearly wasn't ready. Made a dumb, obvious mistake that wasn't dangerous but absolutely should have failed it.

Practiced for another few weeks, went for one more round of lessons and covered all the questions I had. Easily passed the next time. Though the tester that time was a lot more chill in general, plus the snow was pretty bad and I have heard they are more lenient if you are confident driving in those conditions. At that time I had exclusively learned to drive in Northern Ontario snow so it was no problem.

Signalling too long seems like a crazy reason to fail a test outright unless it was really extreme.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
The tests were expensive as shit for me, especially since I had no income at the time and was going off of savings between contracts. I don't remember how much they cost in Ontario, but I also had to pay to use my instructor's car each attempt because my parents' vehicle wasn't fit for tests. If there's so much as a crack in the windshield you can't use it. On the upside, you get an hour of lessons right before the test which helped my nervousness a lot. On top of the financial stress I also learned to drive pretty late in life and it was a big hurdle for me.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I stalled pulling out of the test centre when I took mine lol, I was sure I'd failed but somehow still got the pass with 7 minors (UK)

I had the exact same issue, I actually stalled on three separate occasions on my test, every time the examiner tried to chat to me to calm my obvious nerves.

Oddly enough I ended up passing despite the stalls (generally because they were in safe places, and I dealt with them properly I was told).

OT: It sucks, and is expensive, but just try and get as many hours in a car as possible if you can (with an instructor or with another licensed driver). It certainly helped me.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dude, I'm doing lesson now, book the test in Jan ( as that is what the instructor told me ). I follow the rules and have no problem driving on the road, pretty confident myself. But I always have this feeling that i'm gonna fuck up somehow during the test for stupid reason. I mean it was very strict with my instructor already and I'm sure it will be the same or even more with the examiner, but I just feel like they are a bit too much just for so many small things. I heard that some of the previous learner failed because he forgot to check all mirrors when leaving from the curb...

Judging from people who drive on the road, I would say half of them never get the test tbh.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Doing my third next week, kills me because I don't even like driving. I'm just trying to get through this so I don't get screwed on insurance if I ever do need to drive.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I failed my 4th about 5 years ago and just gave up. I causes me way too much anxiety to even think about driving again.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
OP I agree you can drive, just not very well. Take drivers ed, get experience behind the wheel with an instructor and then take the test. If you fail it then maybe stick to public transport. But everyone will thank you either way.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
The worst part of the driving test is definitely the parallel parking , I still refuse to parallel park.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I will say, though, that despite having quite strict tests, the UK has a lot of shit drivers. Seems like half the people on the road these days think indicators are optional.
Problem is once you have the license you don't really have to follow the rules as closely then you lapse in to bad habits that you have little incentive to snap out of. Especially with Waze that'll warn you about most of the camera monitoring.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I failed a test for crossing lanes on a roundabout on one of my driving tests, there were no lane markings on the roundabout to designate multiple lanes (it was physically wide enough to act as if it was 2 lanes) I argued and got no where

Then years later as a highways engineer i got to remark that roundabout AND NOW ITS JUST ONE *#@ÂŁING LANE, revenge is a dish served ice cold

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya it sucks failing the test but don't give up. You'll regret it if you don't do it now. You only really become a good driver by experience

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That hasn't been part of the CA test in ages - at least it wasn't when I got my license almost 20 year ago.

It is in the Netherlands, or to be more specific..you have to do two 'special maneuvers', which could be a form of parking, turning on a street, stopping and starting on a hill etcetera. The examiner picks two of them and you have to perform them. However the most important when doing them is actually being mindful of your environment, other traffic, signalling etc....not actually perfect parking. So people rarely fail because of them.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I'm American and call it a roundabout. It's not called that in America?

You get 7 attempts? Here, you only get 3 attempts.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I failed my first one because I failed to yield to someone who came up over a hill going like three times the speed limit with cops chasing behind them.

Yup.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I walked into my test at 16 years old and they literally had me get in the car, turn right at a stop sign, drive a bit, turn right again, and then pull over.

And I passed.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
As I understand it, the examiner will ask you to read a licence plate from a certain distance and being unable to do so is an instant fail. So yeah it seems to be just a vision test.

I have glasses already, but I have multiple conditions with my eyes since birth and not all of them can be solved by glasses or any other means.

I'm also currently doing VR vision therapy, but even if that helps, it still can't improve my vision enough to read a plate at the required distance.
Not to be rude, but if your vision is bad enough that you can't read signs or plates, perhaps it's not safe for you to be behind the wheel of a car.

I'm lucky enough that glasses make my vision good enough, but without them I'm not legal to drive.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I remember when I took the driving part of the test, I verbally announced everything I was doing so they couldn't say I didn't do it. "Ok, I'm now checking both mirrors before changing the lane", etc. haha

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Passed first time. The area where I learned to drive was a nightmare of one way, extremely narrow and steep roads. So when it came to taking the test it was a cake walk. Completely different area with wide roads and no one way streets.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Well at the very least they have to learn on a manual transmission whereas most people here have automatic. Other than that it's the same.
This isn't true. I agree that UK tests are on the rigorous side, but you can get an automatic-only license over here. I only know one person who has one, though, and she's Canadian.

It's worth noting that, for employment purposes, if a job requires you to drive it will probably require you to have a "full, clean driving license," which I think means you need to be able to drive manual or automatic - an automatic-only license doesn't count.

Most cars in the UK are manual, but as you get up the size and price range - towards mid-range and luxury SUVs - there are a lot more automatics than there used to be.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My grandmas passed on her first try with barely knowing the language lol. OP, I recommend you stick with public transportation and not endanger the public. Obviously this isn't for you.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't true. I agree that UK tests are on the rigorous side, but you can get an automatic-only license over here. I only know one person who has one, though, and she's Canadian.

It's worth noting that, for employment purposes, if a job requires you to drive it will probably require you to have a "full, clean driving license," which I think means you need to be able to drive manual or automatic - an automatic-only license doesn't count.

Most cars in the UK are manual, but as you get up the size and price range - towards mid-range and luxury SUVs - there are a lot more automatics than there used to be.
We do have manuals here too. Although commercial drivers have to get special licenses. Not sure how that works in the UK.

Nov 17, 2017
I remember I failed one of my driving tests at the last possible moment. I had done everything perfectly and we pulled into the lot,t he instructor told me I could park and end the test. It was a simple turn into an empty parking spot. No cars or people around. But I didn't put on my turning signal so I failed.

Nov 8, 2017
Not to be rude, but if your vision is bad enough that you can't read signs or plates, perhaps it's not safe for you to be behind the wheel of a car.
I can see plenty well enough to drive. Just last week I cycled 20 miles at night, including several long roads with zero street lighting, using only the little LED light on my bike to see ahead. I managed just fine.

I can see vehicles and people at pretty much any distance that anyone else can. I can even see signs just fine; just maybe not read them at a distance that I'd never need to read that at in practice anyway.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see plenty well enough to drive. Just last week I cycled 20 miles at night, including several long roads with zero street lighting, using only the little LED light on my bike to see ahead. I managed just fine.

I can see vehicles and people at pretty much any distance that anyone else can. I can even see signs just fine; just maybe not read them at a distance that I'd never need to read that at in practice anyway.

If you can't pass the number plate test then your eyesight is awful, sorry to say. You might not think so but then you're used to it. It's not a hard test to pass.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
UK tests got harder about 9 years ago. They've always been tough (like the OP, I didn't take mine until I was nearly 30 because I was put off by their reputation, although I passed first time) but they used to just be confined to the core skills plus one or two randomly-chosen 'difficult' manoeuvres Those would be things like parallel parking, emergency stopping etc.

About 9 years ago they were updated to include motorway driving and navigation - I assume because the government doesn't want people to become wholly reliant on satellite navigation. So nowadays you might be told your test involves driving to a destination the examiner has chosen, and you'll need to figure out how to get there yourself whilst doing all the other stuff as well.

OP: if it helps, I was 28 or 29 when I passed, and I was like you in that I only learned to drive because of work. I love driving today, though, and I can't imagine why I didn't do it sooner. It gives you so much more freedom on choosing a place to live, for one thing; I live in the countryside between Manchester and Leeds, and I would be absolutely hosed without a car. My nearest train station is nearly an hour's walk away.

I think it was a bit sooner than 9 years before motorway driving was brought in. Sounds right for the self navigation part. I passed in 2011 and I didn't have any motorway driving segment but had to follow road signs to a place. Not that it really matters as such, just wanted to say.

Wegelius

Nov 27, 2017
I was lucky that the instructor picked the easiest course, and I didn't have to parallel park. Failing the driving test in Australia is pretty common, some of my friends failed multiple times.

Oct 31, 2017
The worst part of the driving test is definitely the parallel parking , I still refuse to parallel park.

If that was part of my license exam, I would still be without a license.

Fuck parallel parking

Anyways OP, odds are you're not really a comfortable driver. It's ok! Just keep pushing. And with experience you'll get better

Oct 31, 2017
My grandmas passed on her first try with barely knowing the language lol. OP, I recommend you stick with public transportation and not endanger the public. Obviously this isn't for you.

What a fucking stupid post. It's because of people like you that I had MASSIVE driving anxiety.

Newsflash: people can learn. Be kind to them and don't scare them and make them think they're incompetent.