• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, as a Mexican I just want to thank Drinkbox Studios for creating two of my favorite games of this generation.

You guys are doing an excellent job celebrating Mexican popular culture and mixing it with referential humor.

Toma perro!

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Drinkbox just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about forum culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on youtube where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in a forum, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the forum public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Guacamelee 2, nor will they purchase any of Drinkbox games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Drinkbox has alienated an entire market with this move.

Drinkbox, publicly apologize and erase this area from the game or you can kiss your business goodbye.

See you in Guacamelee 3!

EDIT: Wait, do I need irony training?

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wait...

People wanted compensation for their public post?

Lol

Drinkbox just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about forum culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on youtube where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in a forum, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the forum public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Guacamelee 2, nor will they purchase any of Drinkbox games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Drinkbox has alienated an entire market with this move.

Drinkbox, publicly apologize and erase this area from the game or you can kiss your business goodbye.
This meme never dies lol

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think they crossed a line by including people handles, that makes it far easier for some weirdo to look up the original posters and harass them. This isn't that dissimilar to when people visibly reply quote their critics on twitter, knowing full well their toxic fanbase will go and harass that person. Obviously I hope that doesn't happen in this case, but the gaming community doesn't give me much faith in people being respectful towards each other.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is a lot of t-shirts around with quotes from games, movies, or even historical figures and nobody bats a eye wondering if they are licensed or not. So would be hypocritical to care about one and ignore the other.

They are walking in a thin line, but I believe that it's better to to give credit to the original author than not mention the source at all.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think anyone should need permission to quote someone's publicly posted words.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think they crossed a line by including people handles, that makes it far easier for some weirdo to look up the original posters and harass them. This isn't that dissimilar to when people visibly reply quote their critics on twitter, knowing full well their toxic fanbase will go and harass that person. Obviously I hope that doesn't happen in this case, but the gaming community doesn't give me much faith in people being respectful towards each other.

There's literally nothing to harass these people about. They're probably stoked that they were referenced in the game.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
If I was quoted, I would feel immortalized. Very funny. I actually liked the humour in the original as well, so what do I know?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Unless the forum was private, I don't really see how the forum posters have much in the way of an argument here. Like, if they're going to be upset, be upset at themselves.

It's a post that they made publicly. If they're upset that their name is attached to something memeworthy, maybe they shouldn't have posted what they did in the first place?

Jan 11, 2018
One of the funniest parts of the game for sure. As others have said, they were things posted on a public forum, and it's not like they are posting people's real names or anything.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
By the way, as a Mexican I just want to thank Drinkbox Studios for creating two of my favorite games of this generation.

You guys are doing an excellent job celebrating Mexican popular culture and mixing it with referential humor.

Toma perro!
I loved the first game and a lot of it was the obvious love for Mexican culture. The first game randomly came up in a conversation with my Mexican co-worker a couple days ago (I didn't even realize 2 had come out at the time!) and he was just gushing with glee about it.

On topic, meh. Y'all gonna have to own your shit at some point.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They don't want anything, but some were rubbed the wrong way by having the quotes used without being notified that their usernames would be attached.

The thread is really just asking if the dev should have handled it differently.
Oh I see.

I don't see anything wrong with it personally. If it were me I would actually welcome it, because at the very least I know they read it and they don't intend to cater to my type of audience.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mega64 used a decade + old post of mine from the before place where I was pissed about G4's E3 coverage because they literally cut to commercial during the Halo 3 trailer or something and I thought it was funny.

And G4 is gone now too, so there's that.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
XIgueQD.jpg

LOL! It's true though. I really regretted buying it and couldn't bear to play anymore. Hopefully Drinkbox don't have any hard feelings.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They could've been smarter about it and simply not have the handles there at all... then we would see it as a "Paper Mario-esque" tongue in cheek playfulness instead of ... well... this.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
It's your handle. Not your government. I really don't see how using someone's public quotes behind an anonymous handle is unethical or inconsiderate. They poked fun at themselves just like you publicly put your thoughts out there for anyone to see.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally they would ask but also like...if Kotaku runs a piece and quotes a post I made here I don't expect them to contact me ahead of time. I am posting publicly.

There is a huge gulf of a difference between journalists reporting a forum post it using it in their reporting and a company using a post in a paid product.