Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I have stronger monsters on, I just got Sylvando. Should I swap someone out for him now? He seems like he could be a good healer but lacks Serena's ability right now, and could maybe also fit in Erik's spot. Should I wait until he gets the good healing stuff? His healing utility seems weak right now.
Erik and Sylvando make a good pair actually. Sylvando can buff Erik's attack of course, and Sylvando can also set up ailments for Erik to capitalize on. Erik excels at damage, and Sylvando is a good supporter.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have stronger monsters on, I just got Sylvando. Should I swap someone out for him now? He seems like he could be a good healer but lacks Serena's ability right now, and could maybe also fit in Erik's spot. Should I wait until he gets the good healing stuff? His healing utility seems weak right now.

Sylvando's main healing ability is Hustle Dance which scales with his Charm stat. It description says 70HP to the entire party but in actuality once you get most of the Charm boosts on the character builder it can heal upwards to 140 to 180 to the entire party. It turns into one the most powerful all target heal spells in the game beyond even Multiheal in terms of MP efficiency, not even ousted by Omniheal super late in the game, and even by that point, Hustle Dance still is relevant due to pure cost efficiency as you can cast Hustle Dance twice (24MP) over two turns for about 420 HP worth of healing at still have less MP cost then Omniheal (64MP for a single cast).

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Immediately respec him to learn Hustle Dance, and he'll be an invaluable source of party-wide healing -- the best for a long time.

To learn Hustle Dance immediately, just have him learn something in Showmanship (so, Fuddle Dance), then refund his points spent in Litheness.
Ohhhhhhh I did not know I could do that. I thought I would have to wait aaages to get the skill points. Thanks dude.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So I just beat Act 3. Super spoilers below.

Calasmos wasn't as bad as some of the other bosses out there, like the ones in Trials. I absolutely loved that Eleven got given the title of Erdrick.

But holy shit, that post-credits scene.. That was Dragon Quest III!

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this has already been asked but have been avoiding the thread to avoid accidentally spoiling myself: Is there any way to turn off the on screen text which displays the name of whatever area or dungeon you're currently on? I'm guessing maybe you can't because so far not seeing something that corresponds to this looking at the system settings but figured I'd double check. Anyways not a big deal just would be nice to remove if possible.

Anyways really loving the game, easily one of my favorite DQ titles so far next to DQ V.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished up act 1 and now a fair bit into act 2;

Just set the hero parents to rest, man King Irwin is an idiot king and his death could had easily been avoided. I am now on the way to get Jade back into the party and free her from that god awful bunny outfit. Out of all the party member I had missed her the most.

I also find it frustrating and tedious that my Zoom warp points have been reset and I have to retravel just to get them back, including resting at campsite with just eats up more time. Such a bad form of adding gameplay time and preventing the players from warping around from location to location.

Also Amber is an idiot and I liked it better when I thought that she had died.

Some enemies are more resistant to ice attacks than fire attacks.

I hate how the game does a bad job of telling the players which monster resist which type and what class the monster are in.

Pokémon does a much better job in this department and for the better.

That was such a great sequence. I'm glad it lets you do it over again with everyone so you can see what they all say.

Also re: Jade-

it really doesn't make sense that she sees herself as Eleven's older sister. She knew him for about a day when he was a baby and then never saw him again until the events of the game. It makes even less sense for Eleven to feel weird about it when he was only a baby at the time so he certainly can't remember the time she spent with him.

I maintain their marriage would be a kick-ass political alignment and do a fantastic job bringing long term unity and peace to Erdrea.

Agreed, which is why I am having Eleven marry Jade. They aren't biologically related nor did they grow up together to form a brother and sister relationship.

If anything, I see Gemma as the little sister. Which is ironic given the game trying to push the two together.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Okay Erik has absolutely insane damage output in Act 3.

Dual Wield + Deadly Dually maxed out Sword and Deftness Trees to point of unlocking Divide. It's bonkers.

Divide + Omphle + Falcon Slash does 4000+ damage.
In one of those end game Drustan trial dungeons. A boss is health was White to nearly Red in a single round.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, which is why I am having Eleven marry Jade. They aren't biologically related nor did they grow up together to form a brother and sister relationship.

If anything, I see Gemma as the little sister. Which is ironic given the game trying to push the two together.

Yep, I see it the same way.

It did make for some hilarious dialogue during that Tickington quest scene though.

Okay Erik has absolutely insane damage output in Act 3.

Dual Wield + Deadly Dually maxed out Sword and Deftness Trees to point of unlocking Divide. It's bonkers.

Divide + Omphle + Falcon Slash does 4000+ damage.
In one of those end game Drustan trial dungeons. A boss is health was White to nearly Red in a single round.

Ugh I've had Erik on the bench for so long but this sounds so awesome.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gemma is the only choice because it's the hero coming back home, classic DQ. Jade is the worst character in the main party. She never does anything even remotely interesting in the game outside of her introduction.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Gemma is the only choice because it's the hero coming back home, classic DQ. Jade is the worst character in the main party. She never does anything even remotely interesting in the game outside of her introduction.
Yeah marrying Emma is like an alternate to DQ4's sad ending.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Nearing the end of Act 2 and now with the context of what events happen and the presumably new Switch scenes.

Rab > Sylvando > Erik > Jade

Rab - I had a hoot when I realized I could do now wrong and my decisions would be retroactively correct. In it context of a fantasy dream, it's appropriate too. Made the chancellor fight the tournament and he won. I should've told Sniflheim that the culprit was a monster to see what shows up at the party. It adds some nice character to King Irwin, which I think without this sequence, actually saving his soul later would seem more random. Gives some gravitas to Rab too and my expectations were low when the story opened with him following a pinup girl.

Sylvando - the madmen basically gave backstory to all the Smile Soldiers. I enjoyed it actually, it was supposedly not a big heroic gesture as Sylvando says but it was also big and bombastic. I also took down the cactus monster since the only one that mattered in the party was Sylv which seems narratively appropriate. Set the tone for Act 2.

Erik - I preferred it when he lost his memory from a head bump. In fact, I think it would've been better to find out about his condition without this scene. Would've preferred to meet the Seer without this scene too as the Healslime makes more sense after you meet the Seer as Eleven. It doesn't clarify anything I didn't know about the Seer or her prophecy either and at the time, my Erik was the least capable of fighting on his own and he gets the least help.

Jade - it's nice to see the MMA fighters again. Context doesn't make why she's in the bunny suit better and you can't take it off. For story reasons.

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
Man I just got to
the World of Ruin part. Literally just put it down after doing Jade's Ooga Adventure after doing Sylvando's part.
How far along am I? Cause I'm surprised how much I'm loving this so far.

Deleted member 34881

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So I think I got to act 2, I forget how this goes and had a question. I played back when this firstt came out so details maybe foggy.
So I got to the world tree falling and now I am making my way to mount pang lai, I grabbed Sylvando, but how many people can you gather before getting on the main quest?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Question about the new stories they added:

Are there really none for Veronica or Serena? I just finished the Rab one and it went back to the Luminary stuff.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Finished act 1 and....

are these character chapters the stories that were added to the switch version? Soldiers of smile had me cracking up and just started jade. If so seems odd they wouldnt be apart of the other versions

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game is absolutely spectacular. As I've been getting older I've gotten more into JRPG's (as a kid I thought they were boring) and this one is really grabbing me. I've only played for a little over 20 hours but I love it. I just got

to this area where I've been sucked into a painting and I'm assuming I have to free these people and little Dora.

I'm just really loving it. Playing on the Lite and I have no hand cramping from longer sessions either.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Finished up act 1 and now a fair bit into act 2;

Agreed, which is why I am having Eleven
marry Jade. They aren't biologically related nor did they grow up together to form a brother and sister relationship.

Wow, I don't often complain about spoilers, but that would have been a cool surprise.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Boy, the frame rate absolutely tanks in the volcano. Got my squad to like 47 with the metal hands and they're just steamrolling. The samurai armor is nice.

I like the remix of the triumphant song while forging the new Sword of Light. I'm a little disappointed I didn't get to play the forging minigame, though
Question about the new stories they added:

Are there really none for Veronica or Serena? I just finished the Rab one and it went back to the Luminary stuff.
Nope, just the four you played.
Finished act 1 and....

are these character chapters the stories that were added to the switch version? Soldiers of smile had me cracking up and just started jade. If so seems odd they wouldnt be apart of the other versions
Yes, these are new content.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Boy, the frame rate absolutely tanks in the volcano. Got my squad to like 47 with the metal hands and they're just steamrolling. The samurai armor is nice.

I like the remix of the triumphant song while forging the new Sword of Light
Nope, just the four you played.
Yes, these are new content.

I would have never guessed those were new. Nice additions, the first one in particular was one of the most memorable parts of the game so far.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Still at the beginning of Act II:

I am loving this. It is almost like an entirely new game, with some really tight pacing and great cinematic moments. I just found The Last Bastion and finding the hero's mom and Gemma made me so relieved. Now we find the King trying to redeem himself and Hendrik becoming quite the badass. We are preparing to storm Heliodor Castle. I am so hooked, ugh.

Rab's flashback moment was great, I couldn't stop laughing at him sneezing when they said the hero's name. It was also very touching. I think Jade had the worst of those mini-episodes but it wasn't bad by any means. Erik's just made me want my own slime to follow me around lol.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Still at the beginning of Act II:

I am loving this. It is almost like an entirely new game, with some really tight pacing and great cinematic moments. I just found The Last Bastion and finding the hero's mom and Gemma made me so relieved. Now we find the King trying to redeem himself and Hendrik becoming quite the badass. We are preparing to storm Heliodor Castle. I am so hooked, ugh.

Rab's flashback moment was great, I couldn't stop laughing at him sneezing when they said the hero's name. It was also very touching. I think Jade had the worst of those mini-episodes but it wasn't bad by any means. Erik's just made me want my own slime to follow me around lol.

I'm the same way. I was already loving the game but man, I was NOT anticipating any of the scenarios in Act 2. I'm starting to get a little worried that I'll have to grind a bit soon but I've been fights for hours because I want to see where the story will go next.

Spoilers for Act 2:
Rab's flashback was awesome. Seeing his body was a crazy moment too. I was actually pretty disappointed when he immediately got his old frame back, it would have been awesome if he just had that emaciated body through the rest of the game.

I agree with Jade's being the worst. I thought it was pretty stupid she's forced to wear the bunny outfit. It didn't even makes sense, she puts it on then immediately tells the monster "Let those people go so I can kick you ass" (paraphrasing). Like, why didn't you just proceed immediately to the ass kicking? I also don't understand why the bunny suit revives her. That story ends on a cliffhanger so maybe this is addressed, but it seems like the main demon actually wanted you to kill his "girlfriend." If that does end up being a plot point fair enough, but if it doesn't it's a little bizarre.

I can't wait to see what happens when we reunite with Erik, I'm guessing he gets his memories back at some point but I'm anxious to see what leads up to that.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm the same way. I was already loving the game but man, I was NOT anticipating any of the scenarios in Act 2. I'm starting to get a little worried that I'll have to grind a bit soon but I've been fights for hours because I want to see where the story will go next.

Spoilers for Act 2:
Rab's flashback was awesome. Seeing his body was a crazy moment too. I was actually pretty disappointed when he immediately got his old frame back, it would have been awesome if he just had that emaciated body through the rest of the game.

I agree with Jade's being the worst. I thought it was pretty stupid she's forced to wear the bunny outfit. It didn't even makes sense, she puts it on then immediately tells the monster "Let those people go so I can kick you ass" (paraphrasing). Like, why didn't you just proceed immediately to the ass kicking? I also don't understand why the bunny suit revives her. That story ends on a cliffhanger so maybe this is addressed, but it seems like the main demon actually wanted you to kill his "girlfriend." If that does end up being a plot point fair enough, but if it doesn't it's a little bizarre.

I can't wait to see what happens when we reunite with Erik, I'm guessing he gets his memories back at some point but I'm anxious to see what leads up to that.
I got so lucky against three vicious metal slimes all at once and got two critical hits while the last one stayed behind and let me finish him off. I leveled up quite a bit after that, lol, and haven't needed to grind since.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I got so lucky against three vicious metal slimes all at once and got two critical hits while the last one stayed behind and let me finish him off. I leveled up quite a bit after that, lol, and haven't needed to grind since.

I've lucked out like that a few times too, not recently though. If I feel like I really have to level up to progress I'll just look up a guide to see if there's a way to farm them, so far it seems like running into metal slimes is completely random.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I randomly encountered a group of 5 Metal Slimes and 1 Slime that calls for back-up. I was able to take care of 3 of the Metal Slimes and was lucky enough to use the Hero+Sylvando+Jade pep power to turn the regular Slimes (by this point there were like 7) into even more Metal Slimes and even a Liquid Metal Slime, of which I was able to dispose one of each.

I ended the fight with 18000+ experience gained. Everyone got two level ups. Considering I accidentally triggered this fight, I have to say I'm pretty happy with how all that turned out lol.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Act 2 spoilers;

Just got Jade back into the party, honestly having to fight Jade and then the boss straight after can go and screw itself. It would had been nice to be fully healed up after fighting Jade.

Heading off the snowy place and we got Erik back in the party, though I am not a fan of the whole memory loss thing as it's just weak writing and honestly speaking how does Erik losing his memory is suppose to help the hero, especially when he's has lost all his skill.

I am just waiting for him to get his memories back and I add him onto the team replacing Sylv once I get Serena back.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It surprises me a little that the best part of this version ended up being the QoL stuff (especially faster combat). None of the additions I've seen so far are especially impressive.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Ah crap I still need more skill points.

No you don't.

If you aim for Charm +40 you get extra skill points for free.

You can always get Hustle Dance immediately on Sylvando as soon as you recruit him as long as you have the money to respec.

Also since you're playing on Stronger Monsters, you need to not think about having set parties. I constantly shuffled party members in and out of battles throughout the game. Since it doesn't take up a turn, you're encouraged to do so.

I will say early on I typically used Sylvando over Veronica just because her defense is lacking early on, and she moreso shines in bosses. When Sylvando starts running out of MP in dungeons I'd swap her in.
I also had Erik with Boomerangs for normal encounters, and knives for single enemies/bosses, eventually respeccing to just knives a little ways into Act 1.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One random thing I discovered after 60 hours is you can find out without a guide what your characters' locked skill panels might contain by going into Attributes and clicking through all the screens until you get to their skill trees, which will have a full list of the character's available skills regardless of whether or not they're learned

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Man, there's some aspects of 2D combat that's really mmm... traditional?
Like turn order is a lot less opaque because actions all execute during "your turn". Makes you play more defensively since it'll be too late once the turn starts. Also regen abilities don't trigger at the beginning of your turn, they trigger at the end, which made my Wristorive and Belle Caps less useful for dungeon crawling. It's a doozy to get used to. Most vexingly, faster battle animations don't work in 2D mode and encounters are random. I spend like 10-20 MP on Holy Protection in every segment, it feels like it doesn't last very long.

Anyway, what I mean is that it's because of these small battle flow differences that the Tickington boss at Baramos nearly kicked my ass and I was pretty overleveled for everything else in the main game. I was very poorly prepared for what was coming. I busted out Hymns with Serena and used Pep Up powers conservatively and was constantly swapping in and out, which I hadn't been bothering with in regular boss battles. Sylvando died early and Rab and Serena got confused so I thought I was done for. I didn't equip items. Hedrick and Hero had to hold the fort while Jade used a Miracle move to keep her HP up. It was nervewracking. As I type this, I realize I could've saved myself some grief if I attacked Serena out of confusion ack. Even Erik, who I have no experience using for damage with and just rotated in as a spare body, had major contributions when he managed to put the boss to sleep sometimes. I usually performed the turn assuming it wouldn't work though so most turns, I ended up attacking the boss right out of sleep cause Erik's move executes before everyone else's. Alas.

It was a triumph to actually pull it off and not have to worry about my last save since Tickington's autosaves are way less generous than 3D mode, but naaaw, I hate it. I'm a'okay with overleveling.

Last edited:

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Ran across what seems like a bug in 2D mode.

The quest in Chateau Felix would not trigger for me when I entered the area and the quest log for that entry was greyed out in 2D mode. So I switch to 3D mode to check out the new costumes (Erik's looks badass btw) and notice that the Chateau Felix quest was active but not yet triggered. I switch back to 2D mode, go to Chateau Felix and nothing happens, the quest entry is still greyed out. Switching back to 3D mode I re-enter Tickington and as soon as I enter Chateau Felix the quest triggers. Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things I reset and go back from the same save in 2D mode only to have the quest still not trigger.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I had a casual trip to the casino and then ended up staying there addicted to poker until 3AM. But at least I got those two Metal Slime Swords for Sylvando I wanted.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of few games where I prefer random encounters over enemies visible in overworld. Being able to find the encounters you want (Metal Slimes or rarified enemies) much more frequently really helps.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Been trying out different skillsets that I didn't try out the first playthrough. For example, I got Sylvando's poison kiss move at the start instead of Hustle Dance and it's been fun. It only deals maybe 35-40 points of damage which is okay but not amazing early on, but it ignores defense & resists (which can be rather useful against some enemies), has 100% accuracy, and poisons at a good rate (good for feeding Erik dagger combos). The more powerful charm attack that's adjacent deals more damage & can paralyze but costs 12MP. Both solid attack options early on if you've been keeping his Charm stat up, which I combined with some whip moves for group damage & ailments. And you don't really need Hustle Dance right at the start since early on 12MP means you can't spam it & Midheal from Serena & Hero should cover most of your healing needs. Definitely want to get it by the Octagonia dungeon boss though since it has an all-party spell/attack that deals a lot of damage.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Act 3...
Kinda sucks that it feels like the ~25 hours I spent in Act 2 was a complete waste of time and character development of people like Serena and Hendrik is just gone. Also RIP half of Serena's spells

But at the same time, this overworld music is banging and going back to places and realizing certain characters aren't actually dead and certain problems weren't solved is fun. And so far the enemies and bosses have been more challenging than Act 2 ever was. Even though all of them are just Act 1/2 enemies with angry green eyes

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
No you don't.

If you aim for Charm +40 you get extra skill points for free.

You can always get Hustle Dance immediately on Sylvando as soon as you recruit him as long as you have the money to respec.

Also since you're playing on Stronger Monsters, you need to not think about having set parties. I constantly shuffled party members in and out of battles throughout the game. Since it doesn't take up a turn, you're encouraged to do so.

I will say early on I typically used Sylvando over Veronica just because her defense is lacking early on, and she moreso shines in bosses. When Sylvando starts running out of MP in dungeons I'd swap her in.
I also had Erik with Boomerangs for normal encounters, and knives for single enemies/bosses, eventually respeccing to just knives a little ways into Act 1.
I got it soon after through level ups and a reset, but charm gives me more SP?

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I am enjoying the hell out of this game. It is so addicting now that I have the ship with various areas unlocked and multiple gameplay systems at play. Game looks great with many wonderful locations. While I don't use 2D mode, I am enjoying the 2D mini quests too.

On PC I originally quit after the third town. I just think the plot lines leading to Serena/Veronica and Sylvando joining the party were kind of dull, but it has gotten a lot better after that. I also feel the game works better as a portable RPG.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Finishing gathering materials for the big thing in Act 2.

Erik: You helped me save my sister and gain forgiveness.
Sylvando: I want to make people smile and I promised my dad.
Serena: I promised Veronica I'd finish this.

Jade: I learned I'm supposed to stand by the Luminary.

... really Jade. Did you learn that from being a bunny girl. Act 2 Octogania was a waste. At least roulette is lucrative.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I know the forum's opinion on Sugiyama and he is indeed an atrocious human being but when

Erik story spoilers.

Dragon Quest IV Frightening Dungeons song started playing during Erik's story I lost it. What a nostalgia blast also liked how a healslime joins Erike exactly like Ragnar in DQIV

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Anything I should watch out for with Tickington that's missable? I have 3 "pastwords" but only have been able to do two of them. I am in Gondolia for the first time. I 100%ed the PS4 version so this is new to me.