• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Any indication this game will get any official patches?

I haven't heard anything at all, I expect Square Enix put this in the same category as Nier Automata and they've gone radio silent again. But it runs reasonably well without any crashes or bugs, so there's less need for a patch here.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard anything at all, I expect Square Enix put this in the same category as Nier Automata and they've gone radio silent again. But it runs reasonably well without any crashes or bugs, so there's less need for a patch here.

It's a decent port but it's not well optimized at all, and lacks options, it's a really basic port that does work well enough.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Nier was a dumpster fire port and never got a single official fix which is pretty shameful. Agreed that this is pretty much fine as is but there's a bunch of minor shit that a patch could easily fix and make the game significantly better. Things such as the ability to disable the top left location name being there 24/7, disable the minimap, fix the little stuttering issues and add in proper graphics options so we can disable stuff like bloom without gimping AO.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Dragon Quest XI has received several patches since the Japanese version release. Everything has been integrated into the global version. Yeah, there are still minor things to do, but I don't think they'll bother.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So that pop-in tweak from the OP still has weird shadow pop-in. It's different from before, but almost worst because it happens really close to the player.

Have there been different values discovered that just never made it to the OP?

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finished this last night at 107 hours played. Missing 2 achievements (All Costumes, and talk to every cow).

What an... absolutely amazing game. Couldn't put it down! Legit the best jrpg I've played in a long time, and easy top 3 Dragon Quest games (5, 8, 11).

If anyone's on the fence, Post Game is well worth doing.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
I seem to get crashes on the below rig:

i7 8700
32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti

Running at in game max settings (no config file tinkering)

I've done a few of the suggested fixes so will report back, if it happens again

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I am using Cheat Engine to add draconian harder enemies, but I am not sure if it is working. The enemies don't seem any stronger. Is there a definitive way to tell in-game if the draconian options are turned on?

What I did was, I launched the game, loaded my save, then launched cheat engine and added the draconian quest flag with stronger enemies. Did I miss something?

Your save game will have a draconian flag when you save if you've set it correctly. The statue option to remove draconian mode options should also be available. Stronger enemies isn't a crazy difference.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I am using Cheat Engine to add draconian harder enemies, but I am not sure if it is working. The enemies don't seem any stronger. Is there a definitive way to tell in-game if the draconian options are turned on?

What I did was, I launched the game, loaded my save, then launched cheat engine and added the draconian quest flag with stronger enemies. Did I miss something?

Try enabling the Draconian mod for less XP and fight some lower level enemies. If you get a notification about no or half XP then the mod is working.

Nier was a dumpster fire port and never got a single official fix which is pretty shameful. Agreed that this is pretty much fine as is but there's a bunch of minor shit that a patch could easily fix and make the game significantly better. Things such as the ability to disable the top left location name being there 24/7, disable the minimap, fix the little stuttering issues and add in proper graphics options so we can disable stuff like bloom without gimping AO.

I wouldn't ever expect UI toggles. If they didn't add them to any of the console editions of the game then there is zero reason to expect a PC specific patch for it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting stuttering even at 1080p using Shadows 2 in Heliodor.

1080Ti, 6700k, SSD, 32GB ram.
I don't think they optimized their streaming tech to compensate for the R2 sprint they added in the western release. I've found that I hardly ever (maybe never?) encounter stutter if I just run at normal speed.

Sucks though.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they optimized their streaming tech to compensate for the R2 sprint they added in the western release. I've found that I hardly ever (maybe never?) encounter stutter if I just run at normal speed.

Sucks though.
Yeah, I like how during the times when you have a character following you if you take off sprinting they eventually fade away, then fade back in by you after you slow down cause they were never programmed to run that fast.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What power setting do you have your 1080Ti set to?

I'm pretty sure this game is causing my 1080Ti to overheat for some bizarre reason.

I have almost same rig as yours except a i8700 instead but I get crashes :(

No overheat so far on the GPU side of things, but my CPU does get hot. Talking about specifics, I don't think I'm pushing it too hard. Using Precision I did not add that much to the core clock/memory clock.

Last edited:

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017

Sucks though.
they definitely didn't

I get massive hitching when I'm sprinting but no issues whatsoever when I'm walking. It's really killing my enjoyment tbh

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they definitely didn't

I get massive hitching when I'm sprinting but no issues whatsoever when I'm walking. It's really killing my enjoyment tbh

Sucks though.

Just tried it. Nope, same stutter.

Mar 17, 2018
So that pop-in tweak from the OP still has weird shadow pop-in. It's different from before, but almost worst because it happens really close to the player.

Have there been different values discovered that just never made it to the OP?

Ah shit! This game has pop-in on PC? Gawd that shit bothers me more than anything.

Well at last those tweaks look good. I just don't understand how professional companies, especially in Japan, cannot tweak these damn settings for Ultra. It makes no fucking sense, and just leads me to believe these devs have no concern for anything.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Ah shit! This game has pop-in on PC? Gawd that shit bothers me more than anything.

Well at last those tweaks look good. I just don't understand how professional companies, especially in Japan, cannot tweak these damn settings for Ultra. It makes no fucking sense, and just leads me to believe these devs have no concern for anything.
Out of the box, yes. But there's ini tweaks to improve the graphics. Base game both shadows and grass pop in quite noticeably, but with ini tweaks I got grass rendering out as far as I can tell. Shadows do still pop in at a distance, but still quite far. I dunno if the ini tweaks can go further, but if they can it'd likely not be worth the performance hit.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized, my problem might be Windows related. I only now realized that the issue I'm having is the same I had with other games, the 59fps stutter. Might try going back a couple of updates to see if I can find one that's not garbage.

Mar 17, 2018
Out of the box, yes. But there's ini tweaks to improve the graphics. Base game both shadows and grass pop in quite noticeably, but with ini tweaks I got grass rendering out as far as I can tell. Shadows do still pop in at a distance, but still quite far. I dunno if the ini tweaks can go further, but if they can it'd likely not be worth the performance hit.

Okay great. This is exactly why I did not get this on PS4. I cannot stand horrible draw distances in games like this.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
It's strange that people are getting stuttering issues with this game. I honestly have zero issues.

980ti oc, i5-8600k @ 4.9, 16gb ddr4 and installed on SSD.

Running the game locked 60fps at 1080p and resolution scale at 130%.

All I did was make sure the Nvidia control panel settings were set to high performance and used the vysnc from there instead of in game.

Last edited:

SourKiwi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
Is there any way to fix some of the stuttering/ fr hitching while running especially in cities? I have a 1080 and 7600k OC (+gsync) so i doubt that is the problem

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to fix some of the stuttering/ fr hitching while running especially in cities? I have a 1080 and 7600k OC (+gsync) so i doubt that is the problem

This helped alleviate it for me:
Its seems like there's something wrong with the default in game frame rate limiter on my system. Running around the Helidor city, I get occasional stuttering where the frame rate drops from 60 to 55. Even with gsync its noticeable. Whereas if I increase the frame rate limit in the ini to 90 I get frame rates way above 60 and then I use RTSS to limit it, I get a locked 60 with no stuttering.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Playing at 60fps is causing my 1080ti to run too hot leading to crashes. It's probably my pc case so I might need to change it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Playing at 60fps is causing my 1080ti to run too hot leading to crashes. It's probably my pc case so I might need to change it.

Could try to up the fan curve with Afterburner? I read something in the Steam forum about this being a bug in the (older) UE4 code used for DQXI (and the post suggested underclocking your GPU), but I dunno how much credence that has. It's also never a bad idea to check the dust in your GPU's fans!

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Could try to up the fan curve with Afterburner? I read something in the Steam forum about this being a bug in the (older) UE4 code used for DQXI (and the post suggested underclocking your GPU), but I dunno how much credence that has. It's also never a bad idea to check the dust in your GPU's fans!

I might try this but as a long term solution I'll likely need to get a bigger case with better cooling. My current case has a small footprint but it's not really geared for extended use I fear.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Would running RTSS and ReShade cause problems? I've heard of compatibility issues in the past.. i think.

Yeah sometimes it gets a bit wonky. I'm not sure about this game specifically. In case of issues, you could try fiddling with RTSS' settings, but I don't use Reshade often, so I have no clue what the right course would be. Could try delaying RTSS hooking into the game. Maybe disabling the on-screen display would work.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it safe to say Gondolia is the worst it gets performance wise? The settings in my Engine.ini seem to work great everywhere but there so far and if that's the single area I'll get drops I might just deal with it and keep my current settings.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brand new install of Windows (before Creators), plus older drivers. Stutter still exists but it isn't as hard as it was before. Frame time is still terrible.

This helped alleviate it for me:

I can't turn vsync off or the game runs like complete garbage. Frame rate seems solid, frame time too, but something looks and feels terrible.

Feels like a slideshow even though the graphic shows it is supposed to be ok.

EDIT: This is with RTSS on.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I can't turn vsync off or the game runs like complete garbage. Frame rate seems solid, frame time too, but something looks and feels terrible.

Feels like a slideshow even though the graphic shows it is supposed to be ok.

EDIT: This is with RTSS on.

Force vsync on through the Nvidia/AMD control panel?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ended up just setting to native 4K/30fps on my new 1070. Even 1620p would still give occasional dips to 50fps, which does bug me playing on a 60Hz 4K TV. So 4K/30 it is.

Enabled motion blur too, as much as I hate it. Does... help, at 30fps.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Ended up just setting to native 4K/30fps on my new 1070. Even 1620p would still give occasional dips to 50fps, which does bug me playing on a 60Hz 4K TV. So 4K/30 it is.

Why not just 1440p? 30fps doesn't do the animation work justice in this game.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not just 1440p? 30fps doesn't do the animation work justice in this game.
I'd say 60fps doesn't really do Jade's combat animations justice since they still weirdly seem to run at 30fps anyway.

1440p didn't look much better than 1080p for this game, at least on my TCL 6-Series. The aliasing is still there a bit even at 4K, but the clarity is still drastically better. Idk. On fixed refresh displays I can't deal with even minor dips.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017

Went with the same, 1440p vs 4K on TV the increase in image quality is just too much for bit of smoothness.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
i5 4790k
8gb ram
installed to 500gb samsung 850 evo
6gb 1060gb

game defaulted to high settings and it runs 60fps most of the time, but I got to the castle and it lags at times for no reason :|

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i5 4790k
8gb ram
installed to 500gb samsung 850 evo
6gb 1060gb

game defaulted to high settings and it runs 60fps most of the time, but I got to the castle and it lags at times for no reason :|
Lower resolution scale or cap at 30fps. PS4 is "high" settings, so if you drop anything lower than that you're getting a worse-than-console experience.

I recommend cap at 30fps and enable motion blur in INI. Game is turner based, you adjust to the frame rate after a while.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Was considering buying, decided to check this thread and got put off. 8700k/1080ti, not running at any crazy resolutions, but on tv at 1080p with controller.