Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So I played about 2 hours of III last night and got used to everything. The choppiness is weird, it was much more pronounced in the prologue section and became less apparent as I was grinding around Reeve/the tower.

Nov 13, 2017
I've beaten 1 on iPhone, got halfway through 2 but then forgot where I was and what I was doing...

So I'm just going to buy 3 because that's the one I've been really eager to play! Might wait for a patch though.

Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten 1 on iPhone, got halfway through 2 but then forgot where I was and what I was doing...

So I'm just going to buy 3 because that's the one I've been really eager to play! Might wait for a patch though.

A patch probably ain't coming. This problem existed in the mobile version, which was generally very well received. It hasn't been fixed in the PS4 version, which is mostly identical to this switch version.

Last edited:

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
I've beaten DQ I & II previously, but have never played through III. Would the Switch version be worth playing for my first time through the game? Or should I look into the mobile version? While I would love to play the SFC version, I wouldn't make much progress just due portable gaming being the main way I'm able to fit any RPG into my current adult lifestyle.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure that the "choppiness" isn't just actually how these games work since you don't move in a "continuous straight line" but actually like, one square/line at a time?

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Its been a long time dq1.

I dont even remember if i played through 2 and 3 completely. I wonder if I should pick these up...

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Are we sure that the "choppiness" isn't just actually how these games work since you don't move in a "continuous straight line" but actually like, one square/line at a time?
If someone could find a 60fps video of the SNES versions of DQ 1, 2 or 3, that would probably explain that. The videos I could find were all uploaded in 30fps.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
A patch probably ain't coming. This problem existed in the mobile version, which was generally very well received. It hasn't been fixed in the PS4 version, which is mostly identical to this switch version.

To be fair, Square finally fixed the music glitch in FF7 after years of ignoring it. That was like, a couple months after it released on Switch? If enough people complain, maybe they'll be motivated to spruce up these releases as well.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Dang I grabbed one of them too. I had an extra gift card for the eshop and used that last night for just 3. Ill just keep it for the icon I guess lol.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Shoulda let M2 emulate the SNES versions and insert the mobile script. Or do a full collection like the Wii one with NES and SNES versions.

Oct 25, 2017
So I bought 3. Strengths of this version are localization, OST, and generally snappy interface and text. Sprites are okay, backgrounds are... odd. I mostly like the enemy sprites using the original concept art.

I got some really weird rolls with my group. My Priest got a ton of great rolls on Seed of Strength and is now over double my Hero in Strength, and my Mage had great rolls so landed at 20 Wisdom. But... Wisdom is worthless, I'm now reading?

Note that Quick Save is just a basic field save. It isn't a bookmark that requires quitting out of the game.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm skeptical of DQ1 and DQ2 based on screens and videos, but DQ3 is a really legit version of the game. I really liked the mobile version, and this is just that with a really good widescreen, nice readable interface, and a really high quality version of the soundtrack.

They added saving outside of churches/kings?

That's incredibly useful, saving in III is a chore

The interface for it kind of blows. "Load Quick Save" is just an option on the title screen, with no description of how old the save is. Well, neither does the main load screen, because the DQ save system has always been kind of bad, I guess.

It's there if you need it, but I know I accidentally resumed from an older save once and lost progress in the mobile version because the interface was so bad and I forgot which save I had last used.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Did they use the same music from the iOS ports? I really liked how closely they made them to the symphonic versions.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I wonder if they fixed that item bug from DQII mobile. Whenever you used certain weapons as items (like the Wizard's Staff) the game would gradually get slower and slower (until you quit/reset).

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Still cant get over how shitty the sprites look. Who's idea was it to make everything crappy flash art?

My god, you have a series that is a bastion of old school rpg flair and spritework especially the monster and then you run them all through a vaseline flash machine to make that... it's just hideous.

Makes perfect sense that these crap ports are what Square Enix would have for the west.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I started the SFC version today. Game is really great. Should have played it sooner. Sucks that SE used those flash graphics for the Switch version...

Oct 30, 2017
Then they couldn't release them outside of Japan without extensive work rejigging the ROMs to be translated.

DQI+II SNES also aren't really that good looking
Dragon_Quest_1_Remake_screenshot.png

The GB/GBC ports of I, II and III would have been nice. Those versions are very good.
I really like the look of SFC DQ1/2. Particularly in towns. They might not have the level of detail you get out of DQ6/3, but I find them more visually cohesive than DQ5.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
does anyone know how I can get Don Calico to talk to me? I have the materials but I can't do anything.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got DQ 2, it's a shame is between two amazing games but I feel I need support it. To be honest, this release is prettier than the SNES remake. I will wait for 1 and 3 for a deal because the first is too simple (I know it's a classic, but I can wait), and because I recognize the latter is not as pretty as should be.

IMG-20190930-053530.jpg

Oct 25, 2017

Good hands on overview of the games. His conclusion is that DQ3 is the standout of the bunch, and I agree. Don't use pictures of DQ1&2 to represent 3, because 3's resolution and art style are different than 1&2.

I put in some more time this weekend, and this is probably the best version of 3 to get an English release.

1. Great widescreen implementation
  2. Best version of the soundtrack
  3. Best English localization
  4. Field saving
  5. Snappy, readable interface that doesn't suffer from horrible horrible readability issues in handheld mode like several other DQ games released in the last 3 months.
  6. Hiqh quality monster art that shows original details that were lost in the pixelations 30 years ago. Multiple of the Aghanim meme scenarios where I totally didn't parse wtf something was supposed to be until seeing the original art.

Last edited:

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Interested in DQ III. Can someone tell me what the controls are though? Like what buttons do what. And can we remap them?

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I hate high resolution character sprites ontop of lower resolution tiles. It looks disgusting.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Been playing DQ3 and it's okay. The clashing art styles are disappointing and the lack of options on that stuff is sorely missing. Square Enix strikes again. At least the rest of the game is good, but it's an eyesore at times and some of the early parts were a bit nauseating with the different layers of background/foreground art being at a different resolution as the character art while also moving at different framerates.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The redrawn sprites are entirely the reason I'm skipping these releases. Horrible.

It is endlessly frustrating to see SE fumble these releases time and time again.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just checked III on the eshop as I have fond memories of it. WTF did they do to the sprites. No way I'll buy it now. They literally could have kept it the same as the original and I would have bought it.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got DQ 2, it's a shame is between two amazing games but I feel I need support it. To be honest, this release is prettier than the SNES remake. I will wait for 1 and 3 for a deal because the first is too simple (I know it's a classic, but I can wait), and because I recognize the latter is not as pretty as should be.

IMG-20190930-053530.jpg

I love DQ2. Parts of it I even love more than DQ3. Definitely worth playing.

On another note, real shame hearing these apparently (aside from 2 maybe?) aren't good ports. Makes me happier that I played through them on mobile I guess, but I was especially hoping that DQ3 would be a good port here as I wanted to see the awesome enemy animations, which the mobile version lacks. I probably would have eventually bought it on here just for that.

Especially huge bummer too as I could see these versions being the first point of entry for many westerners. Bad first impression.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing III right alongside XI and I'm having a blast. It certainly could use some of the bells and whistles of the FF remakes but it's still pretty fun.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So I was one of the many people immediately put off by the weird combination of high-res sprites, 16-bit-style sprites and hand-drawn graphics in these versions of the games, but I've been in a really Dragon Quest-y mood and figured the first Dragon Quest is so cheap, I might as well give it a shot.

Though I would have preferred Super Famicom graphics with more quality-of-life features (lawd is it hard to grind in these games after liberal use of fast-forward becoming the standard in retro JRPG releases), I gotta say that the visuals aren't as off-putting when you're playing as they are in screens. It's a fairly pleasant presentation overall, and the hand-drawn creatures remind you of Toriyama's touch (which, combined with a better and more consistent translation, adds a sense of continuity to the series -- something western releases sorely lacked previously). I also don't notice the apparent lag or frameskips or whatever thing everyone's complaining about.

Also, no one told me the music was this good. That adds a lot to it. At this rate, I'm really hoping for Switch releases of the rest of the series (barring Dragon Quest X, if I'm being realistic).

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Do you guys think there's a chance of them fixing the graphics if we complain loud enough? It kinda worked for Chrono Trigger, so might as well try.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but I also don't want to support shoddy ports like this even if I'm very interested in those games.
Let's hope so!

Why would they tarnish their own games this way? Is it possible for them to add a classic pixel mode or something? The character art and especially the monster art is atrocious. I can't stand that awful shading technique they apply to all of the monster art.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Let's hope so!

Why would they tarnish their own games this way? Is it possible for them to add a classic pixel mode or something? The character art and especially the monster art is atrocious. I can't stand that awful shading technique they apply to all of the monster art.
After I have seen the DQ 3 Switch release, I have seen this ugly filter and I played the SFC version. I am still wondering why they have removed the attack animations of the monsters.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
After I have seen the DQ 3 Switch release, I have seen this ugly filter and I played the SFC version. I am still wondering why they have removed the attack animations of the monsters.

They removed them from the original mobile version (pre iPhone) for space reasons I think. Since then SE has just been porting that version forward.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Never played the originals and I'm making my way through DQ1 now. As ugly as it is at times, I'm still enjoying the overall experience.