• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only people you're burning by choosing not to purchase DQ games are other DQ fans. It is not a crime to be ignorant, and his personal beliefs are of no matter. I get people want to give some kind of response to dickheadish behavior, but you look silly.

Tough shit. SE sticking with this guy isn't the community's problem, if they lose sales because of it it's on them.

His personal beliefs are "of matter" when he's massively donating to hate organizations. I've never purchased a DQ game new and never will as long as he's alive.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me think about atomic bombs. Man what a horrible weapon to use. I hope countries realise that these weapons make no sense at all and one country having these kind of weapons only triggers other countries to develop them.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
The only people you're burning by choosing not to purchase DQ games are other DQ fans. It is not a crime to be ignorant, and his personal beliefs are of no matter. I get people want to give some kind of response to dickheadish behavior, but you look silly.
People can not buy a game for whatever reason they want.

Maybe you don't care about homophobia, but others actually do, and you saying that not thinking a video game is more important is silly is kind of a horrifying attitude.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
There's a world of difference between a random old man who lives in the middle of nowhere having problematic views, and an old man who's rich, successful, and influential having those same views, in a country that in some ways still needs to get its act together.
One is an unfortunate part of how the world is at the moment, the other is a legitimate problem. The number of lives affected by these examples are completely different.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
His personal beliefs are funding war-crime denying propaganda. How is that of no matter, when he is influencing other people by the money he gets by S-E?
In the spectrum of games, why is this something to write a whole franchise off on? Why am I wrong for not feeling like I need to go quite that far?
I've never purchased a DQ game new and never will as long as he's alive.
Then good for you. The man could be an angel and you would've lived a life free of DQ. You gain no points for pointing this out. Your opinion is just as useless as th people who pop in just to say they don't care. Mods need to keep the same energy.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018

So you think that, as a gay man, I shouldn't care that this guy laughs at stories of the deaths of others in the gay community? And me not buying the game because of that makes me look silly?

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Then good for you. The man could be an angel and you would've lived a life free of DQ. You gain no points for pointing this out. Your opinion is just as useless as th people who pop in just to say they don't care. Mods need to keep the same energy.
I'm not sure the mods will agree, why don't you ask them and find out where this forum stands on this issue? Maybe it's not the right place for you.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point was that I don't have a problem with people wishing death upon him. I've boycotted games for far less than what Sugiyama has done and continues to do so I totally get why someone would not want to give money to Square-Enix.

That's fair then, I read your post completely wrong so sorry for that

Uh no, he could have just not been a war crime denier and anti-LGBT and he would've gotten my money, instead I get them used in the bargain bin and he doesn't see a cent. Fuck off with your false equivalency shit.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
In the spectrum of games, why is this something to write a whole franchise off on? Why am I wrong for not feeling like I need to go quite that far?

Because he has been on board since DQ 1 IIRC and he got famous because of DQ1 and S-E is still paying him to do more soundtracks for DQ games. For a guy who denies war crimes. For a guy who laughs at the suicide of LGBT members. For a guy who funds hate movements and propaganda because of the series that made him rich and relevant.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about a person being ignorant states they're not allowed to be educated. If not buying DQ opens their eyes then that's reason enough.

And fans aren't the publisher of DQ, they're not the ones who have to worry. Besides, if a boycott significantly affects DQXI sales, then the reason and solution will be obvious to SE. They're not going to kill the series for good.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

There's always a chance, however slim, that someone at Square Enix could see the disgust and boycotting in this thread and change things for the better. That or a major publication, like Kotaku, IGN, etc. could make it a much bigger deal. People need to air their grievances or nothing would change in this industry. It's not about getting some moral highground "points".

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

This is such a silly argument. People don't feel comfortable playing this game for that reason. They won't have fun with it, they won't be able to immerse themselves in it, always knowing that they not only directly supported a LGBTQ-hating Holocaust Denier in a leadsership position, but that his work in the form of the music also always accompanies them while playing and that it's a defining part of the game's atmosphere.

Why do these people have a responsibility to ignore that they do not feel comfortable playing the game, that they won't have fun with it, to pay for it anyway? Where does this responsibility come from? Did you buy Onrush, Lawbreakers, Evolve and other games that failed on market to support those communities and fans? No? Why is that OK and why are you free from that responsibility that others, seemingly, have? Why is it OK to not buy or dislike a game because of DLC practices or marketing or gunplay or because the developer ignored their fans for years, but not because you don't feel comfortable (or aren't even able) enjoying the work or an outspoken, unapolegetic holocaust denier and LGBTQ-hater?

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Don't signal for a ban because you can't have a discussion with someone you disagree with.
What am I signaling? You said the mods should be fair. I'm saying they don't have to because here one side is clearly not the same as the other, and I strongly believe that the values of this forum supports one side against the other. You brought up moderation, not me. Why don't you want to continue this line of discussion now?

Simple question: Does ResetEra as a forum believe that people boycotting the work of a human shitstain who spreads war crime denial propaganda and is anti-LGBT, are the same and as worthless as people who go into threads to tell people not to boycott these works because omg just opinions yo.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not that it has anything remotely to do with this: But I pay for all the media I consume. Have a Cineworld Unlimited card so go and watch as many films as I want, don't pirate games, buy all my music albums.

But what does that have to do with anything?
I think you should take whatever stand you feel is necessary in your position, but I was curious if you'd ever pirate DQ rather than give money to SE.
Uh no, he could have just not been a war crime denier and anti-LGBT and he would've gotten my money, instead I get them used in the bargain bin and he doesn't see a cent. Fuck off with your false equivalency shit.
So he could be awful on any other spectrum than those two things and you'd be fine with it? I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Do you know if he gains royalties from these games?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This piece of shit is a scourge on DQ and should have been fired years ago.

I don't think SE will do anything though, as they don't give a shit about the series outside of Japan. Which is disgraceful.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
People should really let NOA and NOE know they don't support them publishing games by a bigoted co-owner like Sugiyama. Maybe get something going on twitter linking to this video.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So he could be awful on any other spectrum than those two things and you'd be fine with it? I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Do you know if he gains royalties from these games?

If I knew he was donating to ANY anti-humanitarian organizations I would not be supporting him. I understand that it's too difficult to boycott everything just because of some shitty people, but I can certainly pick my battles and not purchasing a game that laces this guy's pockets is a fairly easy one.

I do not know how many royalties he gets but I do know the reason he puts in MIDI is so people will buy his CDs and go to his concerts, which is shitty besides

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So now you're obligated to buy games not to harm fans of the series. The things people post on the internet, man...

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I mean i still remember the time ppl boycotted this one cute little jump & run what was it called something with a hat in the title? I think because some racist youtuber voiced some penguin NPC for 5 seconds or something like that, this is clearly far far worse and really shouldn't get a free pass just because it's Dragon Quest.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
TiAvn59.jpg
NiY0rYe.gif

This post woke me up.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
So now you're obligated to buy games not to harm fans of the series. The things people post on the internet, man...

I'm trying to resist the urge to post something sarcastic like "surely this is the most heinous crime involved in this discussion of Sugiyama" because I'm concerned that there are people reading or posting this thread who might actually believe that.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I mean i still remember the time ppl boycotted this one cute little jump & run what was it called something with a hat in the title? I think because some racist youtuber voiced some penguin NPC for 5 seconds or something like that, this is clearly far far worse and really shouldn't get a free pass just because it's Dragon Quest.
It was jontron in a hat in time, BTW that game is on my wishlist and I'm not buying it till they get rid of that human trash from it.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

the only thing to do now is for you to buy a copy of dragon quest xi for every person here who said they won't buy it. FOR THE DRAGON QUEST FANS

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if Nintendo would be willing to damage their relationship with Square Enix.
Would it really be that damaging? It's not like SE themselves care about DQ in the west either and so long as Horii wants to keep making console games they kind of need to keep supporting Nintendo platforms in Japan.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not sure the mods will agree, why don't you ask them and find out where this forum stands on this issue? Maybe it's not the right place for you.
Please cease this derail and get back to the original topic.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Please tell me he didn't kompose the DQ overture, it's no joke one of my absolute favorite gaming tracks, and I don't want to abandon it.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's always a chance, however slim, that someone at Square Enix could see the disgust and boycotting in this thread and change things for the better. That or a major publication, like Kotaku, IGN, etc. could make it a much bigger deal. People need to air their grievances or nothing would change in this industry. It's not about getting some moral highground "points".
I don't disagree, but I go a step further in realizing that the man is going to think what he thinks. It doesn't matter if he's on DQ or not.

Also this idea that he funds "hate groups", can someone expand on that? Google yields nothing.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I feel that writing off a whole franchise because of an old Nazi is a bit too much when you consider how many young souls are invested in it on the bottom of the food chain.
I never even liked his soundtracks really, uematsu was his true genius counterpart in my eyes.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
This is disappointing to see, but sadly not very surprising.
Completely understand people not wanting anything to do with DQ because of this asshole, even though it sucks to see people turn their backs on my favorite entry in the series with dqxi

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree, but I go a step further in realizing that the man is going to think what he thinks. It doesn't matter if he's on DQ or not.

Yeah we probably can't change his mind no matter what we do but we can stop giving him money and attention. Even if he didn't use that money to fund vile people (although he probably does as a board member of an institute that supports revisionist lobbies) I'd still rather Square Enix support another, not terrible artist instead. He's just one part of the franchise; if it's truly worthwhile then it should survive without him.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France

There's absolutely no way they do anything about this.
Dragon Quest is basically inexistant outside of Japan and We're talking about a country where the main theme of the game is almost the National Anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.