• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
bruh. you're reaching and it's not only extremely condescending but also really uppity and annoying.

ac/hzd. open world games. dq/nnk. jrpgs. idk why you are looking for a fight posed from a simple question lol. but you're also wrong! so ignore list for you
Dude I just asked you simple questions why are you so salty? Lol.
Is that honestly such a controversial opinion/question to point out that it's kinda weird to be so reductive about games? I'm being sincere in putting forward the notion that I don't think it serves discussion well to have the mindset that all open world games are totally comparable and samey or even worse that all JRPGs are(a genre that is even more wildly different). I already pointed out the massive differences between NNK2 and DQ11.

Don't get what's condescending or reaching about it. You really shouldn't assume here. But sure I guess if it makes you feel better bud.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I just did a sidequest cleanup later. You can take pepped up members out of your party and bring them in and maintain the state, so it's much easier when you have more people to just assemble the pieces, bring them all in and do it.
Ok, thanks both good advice.
I fought the summoners nearby and just guarded until I had 2/3 of them pepped. Then I went to fight the necessary monster and the last one pepped up.

Took a little bit, but an easy way to get it done if you don't want to wait till later.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Does Parry chance only have an effect if you aren't wielding a shield? I picked up Sword Stance on Hero for thrbparry chance, but I haven't had a party once - only blocks (rarely)with the shield.

I am pretty sure the equipment screen will flat out tell you whether a character can block, parry, and/or evade. Whatever's in there is the action that character can take, and whatever's not there, that means it is not possible for that character to perform it.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Also, I can stare at this GIF all day <3

wuKYGIX3eWzLKxM3XqJfRoHXYBihBZbkPUWk77Jay4OexdCjmo8kNbMCxfTn1n-c7IRK42cTzg=w200-h260-nc

She's just so goddamn adorable, hahaha.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm still surprised by how much detail they put into armor and clothes, stoves, food, and basically all interiors. The designers and asset artists earned their wages on this game.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
When the hell did Serena put this outfit on? Maybe I missed it in the circus commotion. It's... festive.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure the equipment screen will flat out tell you whether a character can block, parry, and/or evade. Whatever's in there is the action that character can take, and whatever's not there, that means it is not possible for that character to perform it.

Hmm, if you're right about this, then only Greatswords can Parry? So it's buried deep in the 1H sword tree and is useless?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Does Parry chance only have an effect if you aren't wielding a shield? I picked up Sword Stance on Hero for thrbparry chance, but I haven't had a party once - only blocks (rarely)with the shield.

I think a parry is the same thing as a block, effectively. You just 'block' with the greatsword.

There's a separate skill that can trigger a counterattack after a parry. Dunno if one handed sword or shield has that since i've just been using greatswords.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike not having enough time to play this game. Only got as far as Manglegrove this weekend. Now to wait for the next weekend :(

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Hmm, if you're right about this, then only Greatswords can Parry? So it's buried deep in the 1H sword tree and is useless?

Well, you can parry with swords if you dual wield them.

I've had occasions where my Hero parry attacks directed to him, and I use dual wielding swords for him.

I think a parry is the same thing as a block, effectively. You just 'block' with the greatsword.

There's a separate skill that can trigger a counterattack after a parry. Dunno if one handed sword or shield has that since i've just been using greatswords.

Nah, swords don't have a similar skill.

Curious about that one ? block at the top most though, sandwiched between swords and greatswords... what is it?

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have
Veronica
using whips? Or would that be a waste. Pls character name spoilers I'm not very far
I did it for flair at endgame(so the best weapons of each type are used by someone) but it does honestly feel like a bit of a waste. Veronica's magic attacks are incredibly potent so 2H staffs just seem to work the best on her. Whips in general from my memory have been somewhat underwhelming as a weapon due to weak skills and it's AoE component getting outclassed by her own magic attacks.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you can parry with swords if you dual wield them.

I've had occasions where my Hero parry attacks directed to him, and I use dual wielding swords.
Maybe you just can't parry with a shield equipped then. Basically, I should respec bc that's not going to be useful for a very, very long time since I can't dual wield and am nowhere near close to it.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I did it for flair at endgame(so the best weapons of each type are used by someone) but it does honestly feel like a bit of a waste. Veronica's magic attacks are incredibly potent so 2H staffs just seem to work the best on her. Whips in general from my memory have been somewhat underwhelming as a weapon due to weak skills and it's AoE component getting outclassed by her own magic attacks.

I originally have Sylvando using Whips but yeah... it's underwhelming. Changing it so Erik uses (dual-wield) Boomerangs and Sylvando using (dual-wield) knives. I lost probably the highest damage dealing combo in the game though maybe? That triple damage skill from Erik's unique tree combined with 6x damage from Persecutter and/or Victimizer... seems delicious....

I like dual-wield, lol. Wondering whether there's any point taking the skill for Serena though.........

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
50 hours in the game and I believe that I'm reaching the end.
I was able to beat the witch and man, I really liked that arc and that she wasn't destroyed but became a counselor for the Queen. And man, I was sure that Erik would betray us because of how he was acting but in the end it was Jasper who did something. Now the world is fucked up. That story is so good.

And a doubt

The hero Erdwin is Erdrick from DQ3 right? I never played the 3 first games but I know a bit so I was wondering if it was him

Lol, what scene is that?

I should have been saying no to everything sooner.

It's the scene where you encounter the mermaid for the first time

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I originally have Sylvando using Whips but yeah... it's underwhelming. Changing it so Erik uses (dual-wield) Boomerangs and Sylvando using (dual-wield) knives. I lost probably the highest damage dealing combo in the game though maybe? That triple damage skill from Erik's unique tree combined with 6x damage from Persecutter and/or Victimizer... seems delicious....

I like dual-wield, lol. Wondering whether there's any point taking the skill for Serena though.........
I don't remember exactly but I did dual wield 1h staff on Serena at endgame. I put all my defensive seeds on her and kinda noticed that her survivability wasn't really a problem so the shield felt like a waste. The added magic from the second wand made her wind magic a bit more potent which smoothed out aoe clear given that a lot of fights started with her because I also pushed speed on her(in DQ it feels like having your healer be the fastest is the most advantageous).

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, people said the post-game was meaty, but I somehow still wasn't expecting this. Looks like I still have a lot left to go.

50 hours in the game and I believe that I'm reaching the end.
I was able to beat the witch and man, I really liked that arc and that she wasn't destroyed but became a counselor for the Queen. And man, I was sure that Erik would betray us because of how he was acting but in the end it was Jasper who did something. Now the world is fucked up. That story is so good.

You're not even close to the end.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the other dragon quests are gonna show up on PC, maybe if they get overhauled and revamped in the future. So yeah, 3DS is pretty much the best option for Dragon Quest 4-9 unless you want to go the retro / fan-translation way. (This is the part where I say you should play 7 since it's one of the best, but that one seems to polarize people, so I'm gonna say 5 which seems more universally loved)

Dragon Quest 1-3 are available on mobile. So are the others I think (except 9 and maybe 7 is Japan-only?)

They've put out versions based on the mobile ports for FF, Chrono Trigger and even Romancing Saga 2 on PC, dunno why DQ would go in the "unlikely" category.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I don't remember exactly but I did dual wield 1h staff on Serena at endgame. I put all my defensive seeds on her and kinda noticed that her survivability wasn't really a problem so the shield felt like a waste. The added magic from the second wand made her wind magic a bit more potent which smoothed out aoe clear given that a lot of fights started with her because I also pushed speed on her(in DQ it feels like having your healer be the fastest is the most advantageous).

Her defense is actually one of the highest among my characters right now, that girl can tank, haha. But that's probably because she's the only one in my party using a shield.

Hmmm, so that second wand actually boosted her Magical Might and Mending? Might be worth it then... MP is very valuable in this game, and more effective spells per pop can go a long way........ Hmmmmm.

Wow, people said the post-game was meaty, but I somehow still wasn't expecting this. Looks like I still have a lot left to go.

You're not even close to the end.

Even meatier than Dragon Quest VIII?

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
I know you will be probably abusing pep powers to get slime crowns and other rare enemy drops, I've only just got the last orb tho.

Edit: not even the last orb, started the quest to get the last orb.
What is the slime crown and where can I farm them and these other rare enemy drops? This is new to me.

Last edited:

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
new to dragon quest since....oh man, the game boy version I think 20 years ago.....was 3-5ish at the time and don't even remember it other than the turn based combat.....I think Breath of Fire turned into the first JRPG I ever completed

Only did the first little initial part with the Tor tower since I have to go to bed. But a few things that instantly stand out from the beginning as a decently big fan to most JRPG's but never have actually played a dragon quest game.

Treasures being easy to spot, along with a clear showing of hidden items in pots was fantastic without any tutorial. I recently played blue dragon and that game pissed me the fuck off when it came to finding stuff in the environment.....I hated smashing the confirm button around every map to find stuff.......dear lord.

The art direction in this game is so DAMN GOOD, also voices so far are not bad at all and I was surprised by how decent the lip syncing was in the higher quality cut scenes......seems actually well done enough that it doesn't bother me.

Classic turn base back in action.....god it feels good to play something like this in such a crowded ARPG era.

I got that set with the cobblestone greatsword and the goku looking outfit from the get go probably some early bonus, don't really know as I bought the key off cdkeys.

But please somewhat spoil this one thing for me.........the cobblestone greatsword looks so cool already, please tell me the weapon design gets even better and more coolish.........because I'm already excited in seeing what the future holds for weapons and stuff.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah but the AI will ALWAYS wake up the boss. It's pointless vs that one. You can just respec

Man was that annoying. The boss in the dungeon where you meet Serena. Slept the boss with Erik and Ai Veronica just couldn't help herself and immediately bonk him on the head and wake him up so I could never use the 6x dmg ability against slept enemies with Erik

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Playing in Draconian Quest mode (stronger enemies), and I've wiped against (Gallopolis boss) Slayer of the Sands twice now. His ability to tail-whip and deal 70+ damage, followed by a second move, seems engineered to OHKO (or really two-hit KO) party members. Any advice? I'm using buffs and debuffs, and I've got most of my gear forged into +2 or +3 territory. At level ~17, I don't have any revival abilities, so losing a character or two early in the battle is game over.

I'm also finding the side-quests in town to be a pain. I finally finished the rare-enemy-breed one, but I'm struggling with the one that is asking for a three-character pep ability. Any way to make this easier? From googling it a bit, I may need to wait until I can swap extra characters in and out of the party, or until I get access to pep-increasing items and abilities.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Playing in Draconian Quest mode (stronger enemies), and I've wiped against (Gallopolis boss) Slayer of the Sands twice now. His ability to tail-whip and deal 70+ damage, followed by a second move, seems engineered to OHKO (or really two-hit KO) party members. Any advice? I'm using buffs and debuffs, and I've got most of my gear forged into +2 or +3 territory. At level ~17, I don't have any revival abilities, so losing a character or two early in the battle is game over.

I'm also finding the side-quests in town to be a pain. I finally finished the rare-enemy-breed one, but I'm struggling with the one that is asking for a three-character pep ability. Any way to make this easier? From googling it a bit, I may need to wait until I can swap extra characters in and out of the party, or until I get access to pep-increasing items and abilities.
If I remember correctly you just need to defend on the tailspin turns with everyone(since the boss follows a pattern I believe). This should def let you survive them and heal up after. As for the pep quest I recommend saving them. I did all the quest as I unlocked them and honestly wasn't worth the time it took when compared to how fast you can do them later with the help of items and bench pep saving.

Himemomoko

Aug 29, 2018
I've beaten the dessert boss in draconian mode with 6 modifiers on at lvl 14.5 on average. (6 turns)

The battle system of this game might not be that interesting and pacing, but it could be rich and deep in mechanism.

Check this video.

tips for syncing 3 team member's peps: let your team wipe once, wait until two members get peped, then go into the battle.

With 6 modifiers on, so far the most impressive boss was the second one.

Last edited:

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
Sooo just caved and bought this for pc (I just reinstalled Windows and wiped heaps of saves so was looking for something to fill the void). Are there any mods out for pc yet? What are some good graphical tweaks? I just bought a 1080ti and looking forward to checking this out in 4k :)

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I noticed the battle system song is also used during horse races and boss battles. Square really wants us to fall asleep from monotony.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Thank god for the auto save. Would have lost a good hour due to a power outage if it didn't autosave