• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking about waiting for the second part, since the new FFXIV patch is coming out on the 13th. I'm sure the story will be doable in an evening or two, but I don't think there's much I'll be interested in doing past that, aside from some labyrinth leveling and/or grinding for the new equipment on the island.
Word, do you just cancel your sub in between updates or?

I just got to the (I assume) halfway point of 5.3 and hot damn, the story is out of control. Starting to understand why you said this was one of the best DQs - it's really good!

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Word, do you just cancel your sub in between updates or?

I just got to the (I assume) halfway point of 5.3 and hot damn, the story is out of control. Starting to understand why you said this was one of the best DQs - it's really good!
Yeah, for DQX I just buy a month of sub and once that lapses I only renew if I'm still playing.
5.x story was pretty great, I'm really curious how they'll end the story and what is going to be the theme for the next expansion.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
I'm close to finish 3.3 and am really enjoying it.
I'm going to resub for 1 month after all and see if I can brute force both ver. 3 and 4 (probably not but I'll try).

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Now that 5.5's release date was announced (3/31), I'm back trying to catch up. I finished 5.2 today and kicked off 5.3 — I think I can be caught up in time for 5.5. Stoked for my first update that I'm actually ready for on launch day! It's been a long, long road coming.

Maxed out my second class last week (makenshi) and now working on battlemaster (sorry, forgot the English name) in bits and pieces. Level cap is raising to 118 with 5.5, so that'll be more to do as well.

Hasemo, you coming back for 5.5 part 1 or you gonna wait for the second half?
OK so looks like I'm just barely not going to make it, but I at least got to 5.4 (finished 5.3 last night). Ending spoilers but
wow at that whole lady wolf reveal? she's...new, right? pretty crazy to have an entirely new/important character show up like that out of the blue? was genuinely surprised. i love her design, too!

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
I finished Version 3 yesterday, and I have to say I really, really liked it. My favorite part for now.
Special mention to the art direction, the level design and some pretty fun boss fights.
The story had its up and down, but there were some great moments especially thanks to the sometime impressive cut-scenes.

Now to finish a couple of side quests then Version 4, which I feel I'll not like as much judging from what little I saw of the trailers and screenshots but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Jumping back in after a break for 3 months or so. I think I'm on 3.4? I figure a new expansion will likely be announced at the upcoming DQ series celebration thingy at the end of the month—I want to be caught up for whenever that releases!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
With this:

youtu.be

Dragon Quest X ONLINE Translated?? | AHKmon Showcase

Find AHKmon here: https://github.com/jmctune/ahkmon/releasesSee a large disambiguation of links here: https://zaoace.comThis includes the wiki, discord, twit...

And this released:

youtu.be

Dragon Quest X Online in English?! | DQXClarity Showcase

Join the discord: https://discord.gg/QTuFH9XAS OF MID MARCH SERANY IS NO LONGER WORKING ON THE PROJECT AND IT IS HEADED BY THE AMAZING SHOBUDownload Clarity ...

Don't know a lick of Japanese but I guess now might be the time for me to finally try this? I don't have any hope of DQX: Offline releasing over here so I figure I might aswell try.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know a lick of Japanese but I guess now might be the time for me to finally try this? I don't have any hope of DQX: Offline releasing over here so I figure I might aswell try.
I'm pretty certain one of the biggest reason why X Offline has been green-lit in the first place was to find a way to release the game internationally. There would be little point in remaking it while it's still ongoing otherwise. I think a worldwide release announcement is to be expected eventually (not like there was a "no plans" warning with this one, right?).

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice that someone else has picked up on those projects since the stuff I made years ago quit working. The person I made them for is no longer playing and so I had no real reason to work on it anymore, and people apparently relied on it since I get so many messages about it.

The UI translation proof of concept I did was never sustainable, and honestly it doesn't look like the way they're doing it is much better. The primary concern is that DQ10 can tell when you're fooling around in the memory space and will sometimes give warnings about it. I managed to bypass it but it's a bit of a gamble.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get more play in while I have nothing else to play. I'm reaching the point in version 3 where me being a scrub and not having good gear or really contributing to the party in any meaningful way is starting to become a hindrance. I guess I have to actually step up my game now. And also figure out what's changed with skill points since I last paid attention.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Trying to get more play in while I have nothing else to play. I'm reaching the point in version 3 where me being a scrub and not having good gear or really contributing to the party in any meaningful way is starting to become a hindrance. I guess I have to actually step up my game now. And also figure out what's changed with skill points since I last paid attention.
The new skill system is much more friendly for the user, iirc if you do all the 5? vocation quests you get straight up 100 points in each tree and you can use the points you get by leveling to spec above 100 (I think the total number of skill points you get is much higher than what you had before).

As for gear, what I wrote earlier in the thread still stands - check which lv 100+ armor set you want to aim for (from what I've seen higher level doesn't mean it's better, they specialize in different aspects), and try to grab it through the maze island. If you have a lot of genki time accumulated you can probably get a bunch of items to enter the maze.

Regarding the weapon, doing a few rounds of the base defense activity should net you enough mats to make whichever weapon you want (or it might even drop for you).
The wiki page I linked has a schedule for different enemy types, since each group has an increased chance for some kind of drop.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to try the defense force for the first time today. I had been avoiding it because I don't want to let people down, but a guy released a really helpful video that gave me a good feel for what's going on in there and how to not disrupt the more experiened players, so I feel more confident.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm going to try the defense force for the first time today. I had been avoiding it because I don't want to let people down, but a guy released a really helpful video that gave me a good feel for what's going on in there and how to not disrupt the more experiened players, so I feel more confident.

I personally focused on buffs and summons as the Death Master/Magic Knights, but speaking from very shallow experience, you often fail those things and I think everyone's used to that.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Second half of 5.5 done. I was surprised to see that the last few bosses didn't have difficulty level selection - I thought they started adding those day 1 with this expansion. If anyone finds those fights hard (and doesn't have hundreds of tiny medals to exchange for ygg dews), I read that they're supposed to add easy mode in August.
I somehow beat all of those fights on my first try, but as usual I was mostly dying and healing my NPCs (who were also dying left and right) with items.
As much as I love the story in DQX and find the battle system interesting (especially compared to EQ clones), I'm not a fan of harder encounters...

Either way, my feelings on the story in this patch are mixed.
It had some strong moments like everything around the Yushka fight, but the genki dama ending kind of fell flat.
That said, I remember really enjoying 5.4, and the first half of 5.5 - the expansion as a whole was pretty good and I'm excited for 6.0.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already struggling in story fights at the end of version 3 with AI members. I have been wondering if I should change classes.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I got through most of the game as a warrior with support priest + mage + (random other attacker, usually a gladiator). The AI is pretty good about healing and has the benefit of not being able to panic in tight situations (heh) so I found that worked well. I've since switched to maining 魔剣士 cause it has some great high damage attacks but I've also been eyeballing resistances since late 4.x because the battles starting getting challenging.

You'll want to raise those skill point caps ASAP if you haven't already. That stuff comes in pretty handy as the difficulty heats up.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I've been using a paladin, summoner (whatever they are called here), and a oriest combo for my npcs and the main problem are multihit/super strong attacks which just instantly kill me… I have fairly good gear etc., so no ulidea what more I could do aside from matching all resistances to every fight.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Man IDK HTF you got through all that with AI characters. I probably used like 50 fucking Yggdrasil leaves during the
ユシュカ
fight and I still didn't get through it. I'm gonna level up to 120 I guess but it still seems futile to me…

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Man IDK HTF you got through all that with AI characters. I probably used like 50 fucking Yggdrasil leaves during the
ユシュカ
fight and I still didn't get through it. I'm gonna level up to 120 I guess but it still seems futile to me…
That one and the last boss were definitely the worst fights. Setting a summoner to いのちだいじに might help, since you'll have an untargettable (I think) summon which can heal and resurrect. In my party I had 3 members who can res (including me with items) if you count the summon, so if someone died they would get raised instantly. I also found that spamming ygg dew is not a bad idea. All in all my strategy was focusing on surviving rather than dealing damage in all those end patch fights.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I finished version 3, and I think the final boss convinced me to give another class a shot. It suddenly had FF14 style movement and I found it really difficult to find places to stand so I could heal the group. I enjoy doing the healing, but I find that I am just a little too slow a lot of the time. I've played most of the classes to level 50 or so at least, but I have yet to unlock the most recent classes (summoner, demon knight). I'm also wondering if I might like to do more with fortune teller. Not really sure what I want to do right now.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That one and the last boss were definitely the worst fights. Setting a summoner to いのちだいじに might help, since you'll have an untargettable (I think) summon which can heal and resurrect. In my party I had 3 members who can res (including me with items) if you count the summon, so if someone died they would get raised instantly. I also found that spamming ygg dew is not a bad idea. All in all my strategy was focusing on surviving rather than dealing damage in all those end patch fights.
Good tips, thanks. Yeah I figured I'm gonna need to try and have two healers, so I'm at least not spending 90% of the fight reviving ppl. I'm gonna get to 120 first and then try again. Were you using your 魔剣士?

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I finished version 3, and I think the final boss convinced me to give another class a shot. It suddenly had FF14 style movement and I found it really difficult to find places to stand so I could heal the group. I enjoy doing the healing, but I find that I am just a little too slow a lot of the time. I've played most of the classes to level 50 or so at least, but I have yet to unlock the most recent classes (summoner, demon knight). I'm also wondering if I might like to do more with fortune teller. Not really sure what I want to do right now.
I did all the class quests with every class and out of all of them, the ones I enjoyed most are monster master and fortune teller, but in terms of raw potential / aid in getting through the game, the demon swordsman has been great because it has a fairly strong attack that hits all enemies and is easy to spam, plus when the demon gauge gets full and you use it, all your demon-based attacks just wreck everything in sight. It's a little OP but I imagine it'd make ver 4 a lot easier to manage.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Good tips, thanks. Yeah I figured I'm gonna need to try and have two healers, so I'm at least not spending 90% of the fight reviving ppl. I'm gonna get to 120 first and then try again. Were you using your 魔剣士?
Yeah, I was playing as 魔剣. A lot of me activating my limit break/veil and dying before I could even move (since the animation is long).

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Unlocked 天地雷鳴士 (druid? IIRC in DQ7 3DS they went with that), doing the class quests. I set an alarm for the next metal rookie event so I'll hop on and do that too. Seems interesting.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Unlocked 天地雷鳴士 (druid? IIRC in DQ7 3DS they went with that), doing the class quests. I set an alarm for the next metal rookie event so I'll hop on and do that too. Seems interesting.
Oh neat, reminds me I never finished DQ7 3DS in English. It's cool to see official terms for some of this stuff. DQ11S had some terms for DQ10 races and locations and such too.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I unlocked this Tattsy NPC, and I don't really remember exactly what's going on with it. Are you actually assigning skills to the 160-200P slots to replace the ones that are there by default? Do jewels factor into this?

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that Zelmare Sheet site does not seem to ever match maps anymore. Last time I used it (over a year ago), it was pretty helpful.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It's been a while since I unlocked this Tattsy NPC, and I don't really remember exactly what's going on with it. Are you actually assigning skills to the 160-200P slots to replace the ones that are there by default? Do jewels factor into this?
You mean the 160-200 skills, right? I think this guide provides a good explanation. I usually just go by "recommended" for each category.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Oh great, the version 4 story quests don't show up in the walkthrough window or have auto teleporting. Now I have to do actual work and remember where stuff is.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh great, the version 4 story quests don't show up in the walkthrough window or have auto teleporting. Now I have to do actual work and remember where stuff is.
Maaaan I miss that. It was so nice and zippy getting around the world before version 4, hah. If you don't use them already, highly recommend the バシルーラ girls in レンドア and/or メギストリス for jumping to specific out of the way locations. Even after getting the mega zoomstone in ver. 3 I still use them all the time.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Speaking of the warp NPCs, there is one you can have
in your rebuilt village
Also if you have the 釣り老師の石, you can literally warp in front of one, so that's useful too.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Version 4's areas are a real cut above the previous content. This must have been where they really started developing without any consideration for the Wii. Really surprised.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Wow. Version 4's areas are a real cut above the previous content. This must have been where they really started developing without any consideration for the Wii. Really surprised.
Ver 4 is where they dropped the Wii (and in 2017 they made that version unplayable), so it's kind of like Stormblood in XIV where PS3 got cut off.
Wii U next! (Unless that already happened)

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Even so, version 3 felt like a huge step up over version 2 IMO. Some really amazingly designed environments in there, given the limitations they were working with!

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
They said pirate is a ranged job who can put out cannons in battle. They can also cast some spells like maelstrom, and use daggers in addition to gun skills (gun is not a new weapon type? Just special skills)

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ooh, totally missed this. Exciting! Did they give any word yet on when it's coming out other than "fall"?

EDIT: Whoops, just saw 11/11. Exciting!

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this time it's coming out at the same time as Endwalker... and also SMT5.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I hope that the DQX 6.0 story will be as short as the 5.0 one then. I remember being surprised I was able to beat it over a weekend.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they unlock difficulty levels for 5.5後 soon because even with a full lv 120 team tailored to meet the recommended resistances, I still haven't been able to come close to beating the second-to-last boss, heh

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I hope they unlock difficulty levels for 5.5後 soon because even with a full lv 120 team tailored to meet the recommended resistances, I still haven't been able to come close to beating the second-to-last boss, heh
Patch notes mention 8月上旬, so you won't have to wait long. I still recommend having a summoner set to healing, since it gives you another res if necessary and one that can't die.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
About halfway through 4.2 now, and I'm really enjoying version 4 much more than version 3 so far. I can't really put my finger on it exactly, but something about the particular roteness of version 3 didn't really do it for me. Although I did like a couple of the stories, especially the darkness tribe part.

I also spent some time trying to build out the cathedral armor set; I just need two more parts of that to get the set bonus. I've done a combination of Zelmere and white chest grinding, but I don't want to do too much of that. I certainly feel much more useful as a summoner in the defense force, although someone did yell at me for summoning kakaron and I'm not quite sure why. I thought that would be helpful. Perhaps I'll summon one of the damager genmas next time.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
About halfway through 4.2 now, and I'm really enjoying version 4 much more than version 3 so far. I can't really put my finger on it exactly, but something about the particular roteness of version 3 didn't really do it for me. Although I did like a couple of the stories, especially the darkness tribe part.

I also spent some time trying to build out the cathedral armor set; I just need two more parts of that to get the set bonus. I've done a combination of Zelmere and white chest grinding, but I don't want to do too much of that. I certainly feel much more useful as a summoner in the defense force, although someone did yell at me for summoning kakaron and I'm not quite sure why. I thought that would be helpful. Perhaps I'll summon one of the damager genmas next time.
I feel like healing is less important than damage dealing, since most fights (at least those I was a part of) would usually get to really close in the last part.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They just added the difficulty levels for 5.5後 bosses this morning, so I guess illl be heading back for another shot soon!

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
After taking a break to play through FF1-3 Pixel Remaster and some of TWEWY 2, I'm back on this. Just finished 4.3. I said it before, but I'm really enjoying this expansion. The boss fights at the end of 4.3 were pretty cool too.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Man, 4.4 was really good. And I feel like an idiot for not realizing the twist ahead of time, it was right there in front of me.

unknown.png

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get back to progressing on the main story. On 4.4. I'm pretty much doing everything *except* story content—got my level 120 martial artist with mostly maxed out stat accessories now. Took forever to get stats maxed out on most of the accessories since accessory fusing is pure RNG. Been pumping XP into battlemaster too. I figure since I put so much time getting good gear for martial artist I should pick a second class like battlemaster where I can use the same gear.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really need to get back to progressing on the main story. On 4.4. I'm pretty much doing everything *except* story content—got my level 120 martial artist with mostly maxed out stat accessories now. Took forever to get stats maxed out on most of the accessories since accessory fusing is pure RNG. Been pumping XP into battlemaster too. I figure since I put so much time getting good gear for martial artist I should pick a second class like battlemaster where I can use the same gear.
I haven't messed too much with accessory stuff (apart from simple fusing) - know of any good guides? I should spend some time trying to improve my gear