• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball Super just finished airing the final episode this week in the US. I wanted to wait and watch with the voices that I grew up with. I'm glad I did as I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I hadn't, but man there were so many spoilers EVERYWHERE on the internet. It was insane - forums, twitter, kotaku, youtube, etc. I couldn't go anywhere without something being spoiled, and in some cases the show wasn't even airing yet in the US.

Before these things happened in the show, I knew about:

Future Trunks returning
Female Super Saiyans
Goku Black
Ultra Instinct
Jiren
I saw Android 21 in DB Fighterz and thought it was a DBS spoiler lol

Overall I still really enjoyed Super and hope to see more of it in the future. I'm really glad Beerus and Whis lasted longer than a movie and think they're the best new characters. I wasn't a huge fan of Zamasu at all as a villain, couldn't wait for that to be over with. I liked the whole tournament of power arc, though it felt a bit long. I loved seeing one of my favorite villains in Frieza get more time and Vegeta get stronger in his own way. My favorite two moments of the series were when Vegeta straight up killed Ginyu and when Beerus hakai'd Zamasu.

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Man, I remember reading when the Super dub was ending earlier this year and thought damn, that's so far away! and boom, happened a few days ago. Time flies...

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
well hopefully toei doesn't wait a year and a half to let the dub start coming out again
Presumably they'll do a simuldub, or something very close to it. The Dragon Ball Room has been pushing a worldwide approach so I'm guessing Super 2 will be like Broly in that the wait for dubs is very short.
Hopefully the waiting in general is nearing its end...

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Anybody here play the DBS card game? Picked up some starter decks with my brothers, game is a lot more nuanced than I was expecting.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
one piece looks like this now:

If Super comes back and they give it the same love... we are in for a treat.

Give me an Umakoshi eye shot every fucking episode.

poropat

Created an alt account to abuse the GiftBot system
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
Hopefully it doesn't take too long for the next season.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
This new Super Dragon Ball Heroes episode sure kicked me in the balls.

:(

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Ldc7490.gif

Zamasu literally shit his pants when Hit showed up, for reasons. lmao

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen many times said that Gohan should have been the main protagonist afterwards from Cell saga, but could anyone actually rewrite Super so that it is now from Gohan's perspective and his story more than Goku's?

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I've seen many times said that Gohan should have been the main protagonist afterwards from Cell saga, but could anyone actually rewrite Super so that it is now from Gohan's perspective and his story more than Goku's?
Well Gohan be the one to get the god power in battle of God's
And be the one to put up the best fight before it
When evreyone jobs to beerus

Gohan would get the invite to train with whis
Res f barely has a story to change

Universe 6
Gohan would have a diffrent dynamic with hit being turned of by his line of work but by the end they would develop a mutual respect
Gohan and cabba would become dorky friends

Zamasu steals Gohan body and we get Gohan black
In the future trunks arc
Gohan would get a fusion either with vegeta or trunks or even goku depending on how you would play it out

Gohan Blanco
Broly
Broly still fight vegeta at first
Probs lead to a Gohan vegeta fusion dance
Moro who cares

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, the reason Beerus even came to meet Goku is because he beat Frieza.

And then Frieza wanted revenge on Goku. And Frieza is important due to ToP & Broly...

Man it would be easier to just rewrite Buu saga so that Gohan didn't seem like he was going to be the main focus lol.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Frieza was resurrected due to remains of Frieza Forces. Cell... doesn't have that.

...A random Cell Jr. survived and makes a wish?

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
There's actually a good amount of fanfics out there that do just that. It doesn't take much, the only limitations are the imagination of the writer.
louisacommie's examples are actually a few I've seen used... Gohan specifically getting SSG seems popular because they'll have Goku reject it either because he stayed dead or because it's not earned power.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
How's Zamasu/Goku Black's popularity in Japan?

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Rewrting super arcs slightly aren't that fun since the arcs from the actual manga are way more complex

Like the buu saga has the tournament
The assault on babidis ship with dabura as the big bad

Majin vegeta
Fat buu waking up
Introducting of fusion and ss3
Satan redeeming buy
But evil buu becoming a thing leading to super buu
And so on

Now the buu saga itself probs should have been slightly trimmed

But super arcs feel like movies extended into arcs

Which is what the first 2 arcs are

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Rewrting super arcs slightly aren't that fun since the arcs from the actual manga are way more complex

Majin vegeta
Fat buu waking up
Satan redeeming buy
And so on

Champa and Universe Survival are about as complex as DB tournament arcs and Future Trunks is about as complex as the Saiyan arc.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
In the manga the Cell JR teen gohan attacked didnt die but instead now live on the island with android 17 protecting the animals with him
I know, I referenced that :p

Maybe its because I've gotten more appreciation for OG Dragon Ball, but I'm not really keen on idea of Gohan replacing Goku. Sure, Goku has been handled… not the best, but hey, Gohan has been treated kinda worse lol. I mostly like the stories done in Super, even if they weren't done perfectly.

Tbh, I think Super… at least slightly? made better use of extended cast than Buu Saga and such.

Well, RIP Goten tho.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

Majin vegeta
Fat buu waking up
Satan redeeming buy
And so on

Yeah that's the main thing I'm missing in super arcs tbh. That "complexity" in the variety of locations/scenarios/etc.

Also you might find this rewrite attempt interesting

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, it was that Mark's rewrite of Buu Saga that made me doubt Gohan as MC would have been better choice. At least in that rewrite too many elements got severely worse just to make Gohan the main protagonist.

Also it's funny he tried to create a creepy moment with Buu, even tho manga's Buu Saga has multiple WTF moments.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Gohan would be a good protagonist in a different type of series, but not Dragon Ball

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Sick lighting Kags doin our boy justice as always
That looks really good.
If only 75% of Super has this level of respect for Gohan...

Great work btw! :D
Thanks! I try, haha.

Honestly, it was that Mark's rewrite of Buu Saga that made me doubt Gohan as MC would have been better choice. At least in that rewrite too many elements got severely worse just to make Gohan the main protagonist.

Also it's funny he tried to create a creepy moment with Buu, even tho manga's Buu Saga has multiple WTF moments.
His isn't even good. Like at all. He tries to insert PTSD in a series where the characters largely move on from conflict quickly. There's plenty of other better examples than that video.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

The issue with that rewrite is that... it's a complete rewrite. It's a type of story that Toriyama would never write and it's pretty obvious due to how many changes are added even to the segment of the series where Gohan was the protagonist. Gohan could be kept in the lead position without nearly as many changes.

The point where I think Toriyama had given up on Gohan as the lead is when the Z Sword breaks and elder Kaioshin reveals his ability. It's clear that the Ultimate form without any dramatic stakes or serious build up would never be the plot device that would close the arc.

Maybe the power up still would be there, but Gohan would leave with it incomplete in order to save whoever was left on Earth, and unlock the actual form during battle? Then the epilogue would go back to the fallout of his identity reveal and give bigger focus to Videl's crush on him, rather than swiping aside that entire side of the arc.