Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai.

Oct 25, 2017
Also what exactly does it mean when the combo counter turns blue? I see it happening often but I can't recognize what's causing it, or what exactly it means for the rest of the combo. It seems to occur when I use a command grab or a trap move like Buu fat throw?
It means the combo has been dropped and the person had a chance to tech out but didn't.

Oct 28, 2017
If we're going off of other ASW games, the colors go light blue, dark blue, dark green, light green, yellow, orange, and then red/pink as the final highest color. I've only seen one orange so far (who got angsty and stopped playing when he was about to get OCV'd in ranked >_>), everyone else has ranged from dark green to yellow. I imagine it'll take a month or two before the colors level out properly. It's usually a much better measure for how skilled someone is than anything rank related is.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't make any sense of this ranking system. I get matched with someone that has more wins then I have total matches and unsurprisingly destroyed. They get over 10000 BP for beating someone of far lesser skill while I get a measly 75 for losing. Next match against someone of similar BP and I get over 10k for losing. What is this even?
It makes me wonder how this affects matchmaking. I haven't won a single ranked match, but I have BP just from losing. Does that mean I will be matched with even better players? That wouldn't make sense.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México

Keep labbing, that W will come.

If we're going off of other ASW games, the colors go light blue, dark blue, dark green, light green, yellow, orange, and then red/pink as the final highest color. I've only seen one orange so far (who got angsty and stopped playing when he was about to get OCV'd in ranked >_>), everyone else has ranged from dark green to yellow. I imagine it'll take a month or two before the colors level out properly.

Oh thanks! Never played an Arc Sys game before.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
No problem. Also for the air combos, make sure you get all 3 hits of his jump light. It really adds up.

That's what I suck at most! Maximizing air combo hits and double jumps. I'm gonna figure it out dammit.

tumblr_p3afomwAk41x42ntdo1_500.gif

Cheers.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
My god this story mode...

Parts one and two at least had lots of good dialogue. Some legitimately funny stuff. Part three is killing me. It's the weakest story stuff AND lasts the longest. Gets far too self serious all of a sudden.

On the plus side, it's forcing me to play a few characters I hadn't gotten to play before and I'm kinda liking them I guess. Not enough to replace what I already wanna play though, probably.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went through Beerus and Kid Buu, as well. Beerus' moveset sucks against Super Dashes - you just have 2H and 5H from farther away. Also, his level 3 super can grab someone superdashing toward you - ayy! Beerus' level 1 is pretty solid, too. He can jab Super Dashes as well, but in the air it's hard to do consistently - much harder than Frieza. his j.2H and all of his orb kicks can hit a superdash, but the timing is coincidental, I think.

Kid Buu...I am starting to see why so many scrubs are angry about this character. Everything in his moveset beats Super Dashes. Jab beats it, 5M beats it (on accident, all the time), 5H beats it, 2H beats it, ALL of his supers beat it, he can beam or food zap the Super Dash, and you can even command grab the Super Dash at its lowest approach into a full combo if you are willing to burn a bar. Kid Buu has so many options against Super Dashes you are better off not using them at all.

The toughest thing I've found is that I want to dash in like a moron and have my assist cover me and not think. But having Forward+Assist switch characters out really hampers that.
Oh god, this is me all the goddamn time. Even in training mode. Whoever made that decision needs a slap in the face. I would love an option to disable that.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Seeing people losing their save files on PC with the current patch. It would devastate me to lose my Bulma lobby avatar but it would crush me if I had to start the story mode over again.

Where are those damn patch notes!!?

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game's got me remembering I'm too defensive of a player for team games. Also the player bases seemingly strong tilt towards ranked play reminds me why I prefer long sets instead of best of three.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I went through Beerus and Kid Buu, as well. Beerus' moveset sucks against Super Dashes - you just have 2H and 5H from farther away. Also, his level 3 super can grab someone superdashing toward you - ayy! Beerus' level 1 is pretty solid, too. He can jab Super Dashes as well, but in the air it's hard to do consistently - much harder than Frieza. his j.2H and all of his orb kicks can hit a superdash, but the timing is coincidental, I think.

Kid Buu...I am starting to see why so many scrubs are angry about this character. Everything in his moveset beats Super Dashes. Jab beats it, 5M beats it (on accident, all the time), 5H beats it, 2H beats it, ALL of his supers beat it, he can beam or food zap the Super Dash, and you can even command grab the Super Dash at its lowest approach into a full combo if you are willing to burn a bar. Kid Buu has so many options against Super Dashes you are better off not using them at all.

Oh god, this is me all the goddamn time. Even in training mode. Whoever made that decision needs a slap in the face. I would love an option to disable that.

Yup, same reason I dropped Beerus out of my trio for something much straighforward like SSB Vegeta, as I said before, not point in getting fancy with him if Super dashing spam is a thing.

And his lvl 3 Super is super hard to hit.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, same reason I dropped Beerus out of my trio for something much straighforward like SSB Vegeta, as I said before, not point in getting fancy with him if Super dashing spam is a thing.

And his lvl 3 Super is super hard to hit.
You can 2S and still have time to anti-air a superdash. The best DBFZ player right now uses Beerus, so he's clearly not trash. ;-)

His level 3 is hard to hit, but if he's your point character, then he's more about building meter than using it. He also has a level 2 to help finish people.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Forward+Assist being tag keeps catching me too. Lately I just hold 3 if I'm ground dashing which let's me call an assist while moving. Been getting less accidental tags with it.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so this game isn't clicking for me and I'm getting close to returning it.

I feel like I have to be missing something. I'm getting crushed online. Every guide I read goes from 0-100 really fast. What steps should I take to go from beginner to at least competent? Is there a fundamental misunderstanding I have of the game?

I am so bad at this that I cannot really even tell a difference between the characters I'm using. I know how to do the commands, but I don't have a strong enough grasp for them to feel different.

I'm not new to fighters either, I play Tekken 7 extensively and put a lot of time into SF IV and V. But something about this isn't clicking in my brain. Maybe it's going from 1v1 games to 3v3 tag games. There's just SO much more to learn.

Would it be a bad idea to learn one decent combo for each character and rely on autos for a while until I get a good feel and flow of the game?

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Forward + assist to tag is really annoying. It's killed more than a few of my characters. I also wish the visual to tell when a character is on cool down was more apparent, I feel like it's really out of the way and too subtle to tell at a moments glance.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest problem with fighting games is I find I can't process and execute all the combos quick enough. In the combination challenges I haven't been able to do any of the rank 10 ones and most of the rank 9 ones. I guess it's just my shortcomings as a person or my inexperience with the genre but....I think I'm at my limit. I can beat most regular players but when I can't rush people down and destroy them with pressure I usually lose. I'm like 10 and 4 in ranked but I can already feel the skill gap.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
My biggest problem with fighting games is I find I can't process and execute all the combos quick enough. In the combination challenges I haven't been able to do any of the rank 10 ones and most of the rank 9 ones. I guess it's just my shortcomings as a person or my inexperience with the genre but....I think I'm at my limit. I can beat most regular players but when I can't rush people down and destroy them with pressure I usually lose. I'm like 10 and 4 in ranked but I can already feel the skill gap.

It could be your tv, maybe it has some input delay or something.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017

I feel like I have to be missing something. I'm getting crushed online. Every guide I read goes from 0-100 really fast. What steps should I take to go from beginner to at least competent? Is there a fundamental misunderstanding I have of the game?

I am so bad at this that I cannot really even tell a difference between the characters I'm using. I know how to do the commands, but I don't have a strong enough grasp for them to feel different.

I'm not new to fighters either, I play Tekken 7 extensively and put a lot of time into SF IV and V. But something about this isn't clicking in my brain. Maybe it's going from 1v1 games to 3v3 tag games. There's just SO much more to learn.

Would it be a bad idea to learn one decent combo for each character and rely on autos for a while until I get a good feel and flow of the game?
I am no pro at all and kind of avoid most help I see with the game because I have no real interest in learning it to any significant degree, but I find that most characters can be played similarly in terms of combos.

It might seem a bit much to take in, but if you get past their blocking I find that starting off the light auto combo, then moving to down medium, medium, down heavy, heavy (this chases them into the air) combos can be pretty effective. While in the air, do two or three lights then up forward and kinda start the process over again. Try and do combos that send them downwards then if you see them on the ground sliding on their face you should be able to easily go into just about any character's level 1 super. Some characters like Goku and Cell can pull off their level 3 supers from this state but I would try and save those for when you know they will kill because they leave a lot of blue health (which they can pretty easily heal back).

Mess around with this stuff a bit in the training mode to get a good feeling for it. Also be sure to learn how to block low and be able to recognize overheads (they are usually really obvious).

And do not feel too bad about failing online. I believe you get the same amount of zenny on losses as you do wins, always something to look forward to on that end.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The translation sometimes is really strange. I'm playing in japanese and some things are completely altered in the subs. It's a bit of shame.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Dropping a combo feels so bad when the guy you're facing is never going to drop an autocombo heh.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm still wavering on getting this. I LOVE DB, but I'm terrible at fighters. I did enjoy the beta quite a bit (when it worked) even though I did get my butt whopped pretty much 100% of the time. Just worried I'll get discouraged/impatient and be done with it fairly quickly. I also feel like the longer I wait to jump in the wider the gap will be... hmmm..

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017

Happy about this Gotenks combo. It's 6217 damage with no assists, takes 3.5 bars to do, and is a mid screen corner carry that maintains corner position at the end. I'm making a bunch of combos for different amounts of meter and going for optimal damage so I'm having fun so far. I got some impractical shit that takes way more bars but I'll save that for once I'm done making more practical stuff.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

Happy about this Gotenks combo. It's 6217 damage with no assists, takes 3.5 bars to do, and is a mid screen corner carry that maintains corner position at the end. I'm making a bunch of combos for different amounts of meter and going for optimal damage so I'm having fun so far. I got some impractical shit that takes way more bars but I'll save that for once I'm done making more practical stuff.

That's really nice dude. I'm gonna try it out.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Spent some of my evening in training with blue Vegeta, and honestly I haven't laughed like that playing a fighting game since unlocking Ganondorf in Melee. What a fun character.

It's hard to not laugh when he's just consuming more and more meter trying to beat the soul out of someone. Dude is out of fucking control.

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Try to focus on learning one character first. Get a feeling of the game, learn some of his easier combo's (use one of the latter from the trials). Use these combo's online, don't pay attention to your win/loss ratio. If you feel confident about this character and your performance, try to use another combo, after that you can focus on another character in your team. Place your 'main' as the last character and repeat above steps with your other characters.

Sure, it's not a guarantee to win, but I think this makes it more digestible.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Spent some of my evening in training with blue Vegeta, and honestly I haven't laughed like that playing a fighting game since unlocking Ganondorf in Melee. What a fun character.

It's hard to not laugh when he's just consuming more and more meter trying to beat the soul out of someone. Dude is out of fucking control.
I love his dunk-move.

Repose

Oct 25, 2017
Can you punish the third attack in light autocombo in any way? I've been trying to but most of the time I get blown up. I'm not sure if the few times I did I was getting lucky or not.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm currently set on Trunks/Goku/A. Gohan. I think I'll stick with this for the time being, really love A. Gohan and Trunks so far. Goku is fine, I was using Piccolo first but it seems that Goku is working better.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
I love his dunk-move.

Everything about him is just about overkill. Like he just wants to blow every meter he can to vent more and more anger, I find it super entertaining. Somehow he just feels like the only character in the roster actually trying to kill who he's fighting, he's like the avatar of pent-up frustration.

He's the only character so far I have had that much fun with to where I was learning confirm-into-sparking combos just to see how much he could pull off sucking up as much meter in a single combo from one confirm (which is around 7.2k for me so far). I have no idea yet how he'd fit on a team, but I'm tempted to put him as anchor just so he can have his sparking / meter and get his rocks off.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
So I'm currently set on Trunks/Goku/A. Gohan. I think I'll stick with this for the time being, really love A. Gohan and Trunks so far. Goku is fine, I was using Piccolo first but it seems that Goku is working better.
Yeah I tried Piccolo for a bit but he seems unnecessarily tricky. Trucks is great fun though.

My main team atm though is Goku Black, Kid Buu and Frieza. Evil team unite!

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
The toughest thing I've found is that I want to dash in like a moron and have my assist cover me and not think. But having Forward+Assist switch characters out really hampers that.

Down forward + assist makes them not come out. Do that to make it consistent.

Thanks, will give it a shot in training mode.

In other news, why does every 'bnb' people post involve two assists? When the hell are you every going to have two assists available? (and you don't have them to pressure post-combo...)

Another pet peeve with this game and ESPECIALLY in this game when cooldown on assists is so high. I see people playing this game and I see what's up.. people really aren't using their assists in neutral (talking about low level players, high level players have their shit together already).

You can do what works in previous Marvel games... pick two characters you like then put a top tier assist at the back like a beam assist. A lot of people are doing X/X/Goku Black.

Yep, it seems most optimal to be able to have an assist that can apply pressure for a reset afterwards.

Also remember guys, the assist cooldown STARTS once the combo ends, so you won't have an assist for awhile after using them during a combo.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Man during the beta I thought I was the shit, going on 10+ win streaks. Now I'm lucky if I get a hit in haha. If anyone would care to help me level up, we can try to get in a ring match together lol. There's a workaround.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Man during the beta I thought I was the shit, going on 10+ win streaks. Now I'm lucky if I get a hit in haha. If anyone would care to help me level up, we can try to get in a ring match together lol. There's a workaround.
Right? I played a couple matches in the beta and won them all. I have been utterly destroyed in every match in the full game. Granted I'm no good at fighting games and depend largely on the autocombos but the difference between beta and release is insane.

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Right? I played a couple matches in the beta and won them all. I have been utterly destroyed in every match in the full game. Granted I'm no good at fighting games and depend largely on the autocombos but the difference between beta and release is insane.

I relied on autocombos during the beta as well and felt pretty good when I just blocked everything and punished with an autocombo. Now I'm trying to use regular combos. The fact I've been dropping combos left and right doesn't help...

Status
Not open for further replies.