• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to learn this combo with A18 but I get lost after the dash, that "(delay)" part is confusing me. Also, is there a difference between j.L and jL?
uZoPYnq.png

I think I'm doing it good till the dash, but I'm not sure, this is my first anime fighting 3v3 game and I'm really bad at it.

PS - I don't know how to make the video smaller, sorry
When you do the super dash, wait a second to do the L L 2H, then jump cancel that, do L L, then into super, if you have an air super.

You don't want the extra H after the super dash.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I was playing some arcade yesterday. Hard mode is ridiculous. I managed to beat Snake Way and the Gravity Chamber but with mediocre grades. My team of Gohan/21/Goku Blue has like zero synergy outside of some stuff in the corner. The game has so many characters I wanna try but I've already spent several hours in training mode with this team. Doing the same with other characters would drive me crazy.

Akai.

Oct 25, 2017
When you do the super dash, wait a second to do the L L 2H, then jump cancel that, do L L, then into super, if you have an air super.

You don't want the extra H after the super dash.
drunkhomo Also after the super dash you can attach another air series before you do the down smash to get more damage. Then you can either land and do super or you can set up 17

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
THIS RIGHT HERE, I've been matching with a lot of inexperienced players all weekend, and when I got high enough win rate to get matched with more skilled people I got wrecked because I didn't actually know how to play the game at base level. It's difficult to adapt to IAD with assist mix ups when all you needed to win up to that moment was 2H.

Also EduBRK, are you playing in the south american region? I think I've played against you a couple of times (on PC).

We definitely played this weekend! I think we're close in ranking, we were paired multiple times. I'm playing in the Brazil server, but I often get paired with people outside of Brazil, mainly Argentina and Chile.

This matchmaking problem happens in every FG in it's early months, and then it eases up as people get evenly distributed, but this causes so many people to simply drop the game out of frustration... there's gotta be a better, smarter way. I hope some company nail this issue and show the way to the others.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I love how over the top these destructive finishes are in the context of some matches.

Tien: Hey, Goku. Up for a friendly sparring match?
Goku: Sure thing, Tien!

maxresdefault.jpg

b8cffe65f7c11e4bef957f8ae5f94402d9913c73_hq.jpg

latest

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
We definitely played this weekend! I think we're close in ranking, we were paired multiple times. I'm playing in the Brazil server, but I often get paired with people outside of Brazil, mainly Argentina and Chile.

This matchmaking problem happens in every FG in it's early months, and then it eases up as people get evenly distributed, but this causes so many people to simply drop the game out of frustration... there's gotta be a better, smarter way. I hope some company nail this issue and show the way to the others

But there's so many variables on how "good" a player is.

Someone could spend the same amount of hours learning combos but doesn't know how to apply it in a match, while another person who uses auto combos may actually be better because they have more solid fundamentals.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
I love how over the top these destructive finishes are in the context of some matches.

Tien: Hey, Goku. Up for a friendly sparring match?
Goku: Sure thing, Tien!

maxresdefault.jpg

b8cffe65f7c11e4bef957f8ae5f94402d9913c73_hq.jpg

latest

Don't worry, according to Tien, just wait till his arm grows back.

I'm sad there is no dramatic finish for Vegeta and Black. They could have the speech about why he is inferior to Goku.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
But there's so many variables on how "good" a player is.

Someone could spend the same amount of hours learning combos but doesn't know how to apply it in a match, while another person who uses auto combos may actually be better because they have more solid fundamentals.

Yes, there is A LOT of variables. But there are machine learning solutions to this, it's just too costly right now. It has to start somewhere, and keep evolving from it. I don't think this would be solved in just one "cycle", but in multiple games / iterations.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this morning a friend of mine found some crazy ass shit with Android 21....

INSANE damage for meterless confirms.

Requires setup but it's not farfetched or anything, which makes it entirely practical i think.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
THIS RIGHT HERE, I've been matching with a lot of inexperienced players all weekend, and when I got high enough win rate to get matched with more skilled people I got wrecked because I didn't actually know how to play the game at base level. It's difficult to adapt to IAD with assist mix ups when all you needed to win up to that moment was 2H.

Also EduBRK, are you playing in the south american region? I think I've played against you a couple of times (on PC).

Matchmaking is certainly weird, kept getting matched with people with higher ranks, PC and win ratios.

I played other fighting games this gen and this one seems to be the one that has a less accurate matchmaking in my experience (especially considering it's a new game that sold very well).

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, there is A LOT of variables. But there are machine learning solutions to this, it's just too costly right now. But it has to start somewhere, and keep evolving from it.

Honestly I think the biggest issue is that information is so spread out on the web, and there's nothing in-game that can let players easily access it. New players who don't know how to find tech have to be stuck with the in-game tutorial, or have to learn the long way by playing tons of people online, and dissecting replays.
There should be a modern fighting game where we can post combos or tutorials within the game and share it to players, as well as easily post it to social media. Have the devs also highlight "community" tutorials and such.

Like I said before, make a "Miiverse" but for fighting games. People can share dumb lore or post fan art, as well as share tech and tutorials.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
So i'm not that sold on the competitive nature of this game. The combos look cool, but they are easy. The neutral seems like an absolute clusterfuck.

the fact that your strings are basically. light>light>light or medium>medium makes the close range game really boring for most of the characters. I played this dude on ranked who obviously had more skill than me. But all it took is SS Goku coming in my side and me just doing his stupidly easy combos

I really like the game as a game. I'm just really not sure where the longevity is going to be for the FGC.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
So i'm not that sold on the competitive nature of this game. The combos look cool, but they are easy. The neutral seems like an absolute clusterfuck.

the fact that your strings are basically. light>light>light or medium>medium makes the close range game really boring for most of the characters. I played this dude on ranked who obviously had more skill than me. But all it took is SS Goku coming in my side and me just doing his stupidly easy combos

I really like the game as a game. I'm just really not sure where the longevity is going to be for the FGC.

It's like day 5. People in Marvel 3 were doing magic series combos constantly at this point. Give it time. Moaradinposted a double superdash combo just a few posts ago for Krillin for example.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Honestly I think the biggest issue is that information is so spread out on the web, and there's nothing in-game that can let players easily access it. New players who don't know how to find tech have to be stuck with the in-game tutorial, or have to learn the long way by playing tons of people online, and dissecting replays.
There should be a modern fighting game where we can post combos or tutorials within the game and share it to players, as well as easily post it to social media. Have the devs also highlight "community" tutorials and such.

Like I said before, make a "Miiverse" but for fighting games. People can share dumb lore or post fan art, as well as share tech and tutorials.

Completely agree. What we had was the shoryuken and dustloop forums. But forums are dying, and I think discord is not the best place to this (currently).

Jan 15, 2018

This matchmaking problem happens in every FG in it's early months, and then it eases up as people get evenly distributed, but this causes so many people to simply drop the game out of frustration... there's gotta be a better, smarter way. I hope some company nail this issue and show the way to the others.

Yay! :P Sorry if I was shit at the game when we played tho, I'm still trying to get used to arksys games, I play ST mostly so its been rough. Also, yeah probably with time it will be a little more even. It's probably because they match people with similar BPs or something, becauset I've been matched with people that have the same amount of BP as me but with 20 wins out of 130 :/

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This is indeed a matchmaking problem but it's really not the fault of the system because there's almost no practical way to smooth this curve out.

The best thing anyone can do in this situation is find a way to consistently play the people who can steamroll you....ask them questions, add them on your friends list, ask for matches, ect.

Practice is important, but the quality of your practice is just as important. It's amazing how quick you can improve when you have access to good players

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

It's hard enough for me to memorize the three or so unique combos I learned with each of my characters yesterday. Sometimes I have to rely on the easy combos to win simply because I forget everything else.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

Posting this again since I feel like the "is this game too easy/not have enough depth" concern constantly pops up.

This is indeed a matchmaking problem but it's really not the fault of the system because there's almost no practical way to smooth this curve out.

The best thing anyone can do in this situation is find a way to consistently play the people who can steamroll you....ask them questions, add them on your friends list, ask for matches, ect.

Practice is important, but the quality of your practice is just as important. It's amazing how quick you can improve when you have access to good players

And to add to this, if you have a local community, GO TO LOCALS. Don't worry about "sucking too much" to go. You learn so much faster. Plus nothing like gaining new friends.

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity how do y'all feel about Beerus/Goku Black/Frieza? That's my buddy's team - he's been spending more time on it than me so far but we're both newbies. Really want to grind the game out and get good for CEO this year.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil

I actually think the same, and learned this way, but I try to see the issue through the eyes of the easily frustrated players. I have a cousin who is 18 and after one steamroll he is literally ready to destroy the controller...

Yay! :P Sorry if I was shit at the game when we played tho, I'm still trying to get used to arksys games, I play ST mostly so its been rough. Also, yeah probably with time it will be a little more even. It's probably because they match people with similar BPs or something, becauset I've been matched with people that have the same amount of BP as me but with 20 wins out of 130 :/

Don't need to be sorry, you weren't shit! It's a completely different mindset from street fighter, take it easy and you get there eventually. Just always try to see why you lost and what could be done to prevent it.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity how do y'all feel about Beerus/Goku Black/Frieza? That's my buddy's team - he's been spending more time on it than me so far but we're both newbies. Really want to grind the game out and get good for CEO this year.

Seems solid, but too early to say.
Beerus seems like a great character for starting resets, Goku Black has some great DHCs and a great assist, and Frieza seems like a candidate for best anchor in the game. But still not sure on anything beyond the obvious stuff.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Seems fine to me. Only real problem is getting over the learning curve for Beerus, with all the tricks you'll be able to do with his orbs.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017

Posting this again since I feel like the "is this game too easy/not have enough depth" concern constantly pops up.

And to add to this, if you have a local community, GO TO LOCALS. Don't worry about "sucking too much" to go. You learn so much faster. Plus nothing like gaining new friends.

This game is less in depth then P4A for sure.

I don't want people thinking I'm saying DBFZ is bad or anything, I just get the same feeling I get when I played Pokken. Which is to say, it is fun but it really removes a lot of player creativity because most of the characters are overly simplified.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

I don't want people thinking I'm saying DBFZ is bad or anything, I just get the same feeling I get when I played Pokken. Which is to say, it is fun but it really removes a lot of player creativity because most of the characters are overly simplified.

Even if that's the case, it's still too early to judge, plus depth isn't necessarily a qualifier for a good fighting game anyway. Pokken has a decent competitive scene, and I'm sure this will too. You also have many examples of people thinking a game is too simplistic and ends up being wrong, remember week 1 MvC3? Again might not be the case here but we'll see.

So this morning a friend of mine found some crazy ass shit with Android 21....

INSANE damage for meterless confirms.

Requires setup but it's not farfetched or anything, which makes it entirely practical i think.

Could you combo it into SSB Goku assist for the hard knockdown -> super or for resets?

Jan 15, 2018
Don't need to be sorry, you weren't shit! It's a completely different mindset from street fighter, take it easy and you get there eventually. Just always try to see why you lost and what could be done to prevent it.

Thanks man!

Don't know much about the sinergy of that team, but on characters alone it seems solid. Black's assist is pretty good and you can do some good damage with it and frieza

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil

I think there's creativity to be found, we just need to dig deeper. People are posting combos that are creative, but until we get comfortable with them to use it consistently online we will continue to see fight's that look the same.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Seems solid, but too early to say.
Beerus seems like a great character for starting resets, Goku Black has some great DHCs and a great assist, and Frieza seems like a candidate for best anchor in the game. But still not sure on anything beyond the obvious stuff.
I read this term many times but what does it mean in this kind of game? What is an anchor character? :\

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
I read this term many times but what does it mean in this kind of game? What is an anchor character? :\
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/FightingGame

Point character - The first character of a team that will always be the first in play, in games where each player has a team of multiple characters. Some games allow you to change the point character through various means (such as holding the tag button while the match is loading).
  • Anchor character - the second (or third) character of a team that are expected to be able to do things by themselves (when the point character is knocked out), usually aided by extra meters or other mechanics. May tend to have powerful assist moves, whenever applicable.
So in DBFZ it's the 3rd character that can make good use of Sparking Blast/leftover meter.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's creativity to be found, we just need to dig deeper. People are posting combos that are creative, but until we get comfortable with them to use it consistently online we will continue to see fight's that look the same.

I'm really hoping it is deeper than it looks. for now though, it really does feel like the game is forcibly trying to hamper my ability to me creative. I would like more creative in the neutral though, than in combos. I'm pretty ok with combos being easy to execute, you just need a good neutral to make things more interesting.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: better explanation above by FSLink
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/FightingGame

Point character - The first character of a team that will always be the first in play, in games where each player has a team of multiple characters. Some games allow you to change the point character through various means (such as holding the tag button while the match is loading).
  • Anchor character - the second (or third) character of a team that are expected to be able to do things by themselves (when the point character is knocked out), usually aided by extra meters or other mechanics. May tend to have powerful assist moves, whenever applicable.
So in DBFZ it's the 3rd character that can make good use of Sparking Blast/leftover meter.

Thx! :)

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

Sonicfox is playing this game. The pro scene is definitely all over this already. I'd be happy to revisit that topic like 6 months from now if SonicFox and the other top talents vanish

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Man, one of my friends is getting pretty good with U. Gohan (but Yamcha is the real MVP of the team). I hate overlapping characters with IRL friends, so I may do some alterations.

Just brainstorming, but who would be a good third in an 18/Cell team and a 18/Hit team?

While not any bnbs, you can check LFFN's stream for some solid 18 stuff. Live now as well.

Thanks Donkey. I'll have to check out the stream after work. For the shade he's thrown on the game, he sure as fuck is grinding the hell out of it.

PS - I don't know how to make the video smaller, sorry

Ah, this was one of the combos I was thinking about, but could not replicate it when I was playing with friends. This is one more thing I need to lab out when I get home.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so just started the 3rd story arc:

First Arc: Boring. Also what feels like plot holes and/or poor storytelling. (and while some stuff is explained in the other story arcs, considering those story arcs tell the story differently, I'm not sure they are reliable enough to explain away some inconsistencies/oddities/etc in this arc)

Second Arc: More interesting though still somewhat boring. Also (and this complaint goes for the first arc as well), even though there is some mandatory rescues, not all characters appear in the ship which is just weird despite having saved them. Inconsistent

Third arc: Just started it so I can't say much but I do like having the androids together. Also going to spoiler the next part I guess:

Why does the wave stuff affect 18 anyway? At least I assume that's what's wrong with her at the start. She has infinite energy. Why does she even need a soul at all inside her when she has infinite energy and doesn't suffer from the same weakness other non-Androids do?

Some unexplained things so far (unless I've missed something) up to the start of the third arc:

What are these waves? (edit: explained now as basically "Gero" though everyone calling them Waves and understanding what that is before now is weird but whatever)

How did the Red Ribbon Army clone the fighters including Future Trunks? and in Vast Numbers so quickly.

How did they use the Namek Dragon Balls without an issue and without Namek getting word to Earth?

Probably more but these are the ones that came to mind straight away.

Last edited:

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're giving too much thought into the story mode... I mean, those types of concerns are the same in the actual anime haha.

The anime has more consistency/less plot holes than this (ignoring power level consistency which people love to argue here of course :P)

Anime is also less boring (though Arc 3, Chapter 3 is a lot more fun but I think that's cause I enjoy the Android Dynamic lol)

Also on another note: while fighting as 18 with the English voices, I hear what sounds like the Japanese VA randomly. I think I had this with another character (forget who) as well.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think this is the most impressive-looking thing I've pulled off in this game, lol.

Was trying to get some decent damage after the Frieza assist and couldn't get anything until I tried the autocombo.
You can choose to end it without using any meter and it still does just over 5K damage.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, would this game be fun for someone who loves DBZ, but sucks at fighting games (i'm decent at Street Fighter 2 lol)?

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Loving the game but it's insanely buggy for me on PC. Every time I start it up and load into the hub, a pop up says that it "failed to save local data". And I can't progress in single player without having the game soft freeze. The screen moves but never progresses to the actual fight.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Do cut scenes happening in story mode depend on who is in your immediate three person team?

Status
Not open for further replies.