GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Your taste is garbage.

And great character design where almost every character basically looks the same. The plot is super inventive that's for sure. Who would have thought about fusing two different persons would form a new one with mashed personalities? Brilliant stuff.

It's fine that people like it, I like plenty of bad stuff as well, but liking/loving them doesn't make them good.

Yeah, sorry but fusion was a hype af moment. Two rivals becoming the strongest guy out there ? Hype af.
"Everyone looks the same" -> your eyesight is garbage.

There are many reasons why Dragon Ball is so loved and was so influencial. But sure "it's garbage".

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Your taste is garbage.

And great character design where almost every character basically looks the same. The plot is super inventive that's for sure. Who would have thought about fusing two different persons would form a new one with mashed personalities? Brilliant stuff.

It's fine that people like it, I like plenty of bad stuff as well, but liking/loving them doesn't make them good.
Excalibur-face - Zerochan Anime Image Board

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sorry but fusion was a hype af moment. Two rivals becoming the strongest guy out there ? Hype af.
"Everyone looks the same" -> your eyesight is garbage.

There are many reasons why Dragon Ball is so loved and was so influencial. But sure "it's garbage".

A quick search will show that several characters have the same face with a different hair. And yeah, even 12 year old me thought fusion was incredibly stupid. Stupid as fuck, that's for sure.

I know DB is popular. A lot of bad things are.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Your taste is garbage.

Dragon Ball is one of my favorite things but I never really cared for fusions myself, its something that was added to the franchise well over a decade too and isnt super common since then either. Almost every character looking the same is directly false, but sure there are overlaps within families and there being thousands upon thousands of characters. I certainly do not like a lot of them personally.

It is a massive franchise with a lot to parse through. Some people only enjoy certain arcs too. Writing it all off as trash by just casually glancing over it is a bit lame really.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Ball is one of my favorite things but I never really cared for fusions myself, its something that was added to the franchise well over a decade too and isnt super common since then either. Almost every character looking the same is directly false, but sure there are overlaps within families. There are thousands upon thousands of characters after all. I certainly do not like a lot of them personally.

It is a massive franchise with a lot to parse through. Some people only enjoy certain arcs too. Writing it all off as trash by just casually glancing over it is a bit lame really.

Fair enough. I watched plenty of it way back when and I really didn't liked it. But I have no problems with people loving it. Fighterz is pretty awesome though.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I never really cared for fusions myself, its something that was added to the franchise well over a decade too and isnt super common since then either.
Since the Buu Saga? What about Gogeta SSJ4 in GT, Vegito Blue in the FT arc, Kefla in the ToP or Gogeta Blue in DBS Broly? I don't know anything about the new movie but otherwise fusions have been a part of every canon arc since the Buu saga except Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine going into a Dragon Ball thread just to tell people that Dragon Ball is bad.
It seems so embarrassing to me. In situations like this they'll often say "oh what you just want positive thread?! I can't say my piece?!" (like it's such an imperative comment to grace us with in the first place) and like, no I don't particularly want a "positive thread", I just don't get what I as an individual would even get out of doing that in a thread for something I think is bad. Feels like fishing for alerts tbh.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Since the Buu Saga? What about Gogeta SSJ4 in GT, Vegito Blue in the FT arc, Kefla in the ToP or Gogeta Blue in DBS Broly? I don't know anything about the new movie but otherwise fusions have been a part of every canon arc since the Buu saga except Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.
ToP is enemies that fuse though, so it's a bit different in my opinion, and there's no traditional fusion in Champa, Moro, Granolah or Super Hero. The Moro arc does have 3 female characters that merge, but not via a previously existing fusion technique.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Saint came after dragonball, although the mangaka for saint seiya did have a very popular boxing manga before then though.

In general I do think western fans tend to way overstate how dragonball "invented" shonen tropes. It was massively influential but a lot of shonen tropes existed before Db was published.

i'm pretty sure both the original DB and Saint Seiya began in the same year (1986) but SS got to the popular hype parts way before DB did since it's shorter and that anime had ended when DBZ was just starting. i'm using japan's dates as a reference since that's what matters when determining who inspired who.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
i'm pretty sure both the original DB and Saint Seiya began in the same year (1986) but SS got to the popular hype parts way before DB did since it's shorter and that anime had ended when DBZ was just starting. i'm using japan's dates as a reference since that's what matters when determining who inspired who.
Dragonball began serialization in 1984,it definitely came first but like i said, Saint seiya's mangaka had a popular shonen series called Ring no Kakero that was published in 1977 that was pretty popular.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do they insist on these anime characters using out of place guns in Fortnite anyway? Why not just have them use their powers? It's not that difficult for the devs to do, and they have money.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Why do they insist on these anime characters using out of place guns in Fortnite anyway? Why not just have them use their powers? It's not that difficult for the devs to do, and they have money.

That would be very hard and destroy the game balance lol

It's easier if you just see Fortnite as everyone playing paintball

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017

They're not going to make a new game just to "be authentic" to the licensed characters. Fortnite is at its core a battle royale where you take each other primarily with guns. The Marvel/anime/whatever characters are skins at most (they're not even voiced outside of certain built-in emotes) and their debuts are typically accommodated by introducing a new weapon/mechanic that they're known for. For Naruto, it was the kunai. For Spider-Man, it was the web slingers. For Dragon Ball, it'll be the Kamehameha.

Think of Fortnite as a virtual toybox in battle royale form. If a kid wants to play with their Goku and Superman action figures by giving them guns, then they can. It's their toys and their playtime. Fortnite's the same.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Probably nowhere near. Being big in the past isn't always equal to to being sustained with constant new media

While the bolded part is true in general terms, Saint Seiya has actually been receiving new media up till this day. Indeed, the second season of the 3D reboot just premiered on Crunchyroll.

Saint Seiya's main problem for the purposes of a Fortnite collab is that it just never got big in the Anglosphere.

You know what anime I'd like to see that actually fits with shooting guns and everything

fortnite_ghost_in_the_shell.jpg

I'd buy any skin they did
Or
MV5BMzBjMDU3YTgtODY1Ny00MjI2LWE5N2ItNTZkZTI1NzliMGNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzgxODM4NjM@._V1_.jpg

The first would be awesome and I would buy any skin they release in an instant.

The second... ehhh... Let's be honest here: They would release Kirito and Asuna (and maybe Sinon if we are lucky), but that would be it.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Um... because that's not the game?

At best you'll get their powers as a weapon that everyone can use.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Saint came after dragonball, although the mangaka for saint seiya did have a very popular boxing manga before then though.

Dragonball began serialization in 1984,it definitely came first but like i said, Saint seiya's mangaka had a popular shonen series called Ring no Kakero that was published in 1977 that was pretty popular.

Dragonball started before Saint Seiya, but Seiya was a full battle manga from the start, and was doing stuff like big power ups/transformations before Dragonball could get to Namek. Saint Seiya also heavily used the idea of an elite group of enemies with unique techniques to face separate members of the main cast - something often seen in other shounen but that Dragonball never really pushed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7m6P7qBHFc

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
While the bolded part is true in general terms, Saint Seiya has actually been receiving new media up till this day. Indeed, the second season of the 3D reboot just premiered on Crunchyroll.

Saint Seiya's main problem for the purposes of a Fortnite collab is that it just never got big in the Anglosphere.

The first would be awesome and I would buy any skin they release in an instant.

The second... ehhh... Let's be honest here: They would release Kirito and Asuna (and maybe Sinon if we are lucky), but that would be it.
I'd buy Sinon for sure

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If we're suggesting anime characters for Fortnite, I'd like to throw four hats into the ring.

latest

You could probably narrow it down to Revy & Dutch if you want to be faithful to the series (regarding how Rock & Beny don't use guns).

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Your taste is garbage.

Yep, this maniacal post will only convince more people that DBZ is objectively great.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I always think it's funny when people act like Dragon Ball is disposable schlock, and not one of the most influential and iconic series of the last 40 years. There's an entire generation of manga artists that were inspired by it, to say nothing of its impact worldwide. It's not exactly highbrow, but there is a very good reason it's been consistently popular across generations.

If we're suggesting anime characters for Fortnite, I'd like to throw four hats into the ring.

latest

You could probably narrow it down to Revy & Dutch if you want to be faithful to the series (regarding how Rock & Beny don't use guns).
I've been watching this for the first time this week (almost finished), and a Revy skin might just get me to play this game lol

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I always think it's funny when people act like Dragon Ball is disposable schlock, and not one of the most influential and iconic series of the last 40 years. There's an entire generation of manga artists that were inspired by it, to say nothing of its impact worldwide. It's not exactly highbrow, but there is a very good reason it's been consistently popular across generations.
I was literally going to make the same exact post. Dragonball STILL shuts down cities. It STILL breaks the internet when certain fights air. It is the most important shonen ever created. Heck, it has people using DBZ power levels to translate computer specifications into laymen.

Era poster: "garbage anime."

Wot lol??

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball is one of my favorite things but I never really cared for fusions myself, its something that was added to the franchise well over a decade too and isnt super common since then either. Almost every character looking the same is directly false, but sure there are overlaps within families and there being thousands upon thousands of characters. I certainly do not like a lot of them personally.

Fusion as a concept is crazy amazing and hype. In fact, I don't see who managed to pull it off as well. You see it in maybe some mech shows but regular shonen ?

View: https://youtu.be/B2VMguRMepM

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I was literally going to make the same exact post. Dragonball STILL shuts down cities. It STILL breaks the internet when certain fights air. It is the most important shonen ever created. Heck, it has people using DBZ power levels to translate computer specifications into laymen.

Era poster: "garbage anime."

Wot lol??

I mean, the guy admits having barely watched it and likely with the horrible english dub so...

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Dragonball started before Saint Seiya, but Seiya was a full battle manga from the start, and was doing stuff like big power ups/transformations before Dragonball could get to Namek. Saint Seiya also heavily used the idea of an elite groups of enemies with unique techniques to face separate members of the main cast - something often seen in other shounen but that Dragonball never really pushed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7m6P7qBHFc

Having watched SS for the first time this year (going through the manga now), it definitely reinforced how much of a gamechanger this series was. Some aspect of the series haven't held up as well, but it's hard to not respect it. You can totally see its lineage in a lot of later series, both shonen and otherwise.

Dragon Ball had a more immediate and obvious impact on shonen (it basically popularized the idiot manchild hero in the genre for one), but Seiya is a classic in its own right.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Fusion as a concept is crazy amazing and hype. In fact, I don't see who managed to pull it off as well. You see it in maybe some mech shows but regular shonen ?

View: https://youtu.be/B2VMguRMepM

I was hype as fuck for Gotenks when fusion was first introduced. Shame he just ends up being comic relief. I've never really cared for Gogeta or Vegito. I don't dislike them but they don't have weeks or months of hype building up how important the fusion is to save the world (though I didn't watch GT or most old movies so I only know Gogeta from the Super Broly movie)

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't see anything wrong with fusions. To this day fusions still the thing that sells the most in DB games and gets people more hype than anything else. There's a reason why Dokkan and Legends always have fusions during anniversary events.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
A quick search will show that several characters have the same face with a different hair. And yeah, even 12 year old me thought fusion was incredibly stupid. Stupid as fuck, that's for sure.

I know DB is popular. A lot of bad things are.
Coming into a thread about Dragon Ball to say how much you dislike Dragon Ball sounds like some miserable shit tbh