• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
First off, huge props to Matthew Porretta (the voice of Alan Wake!) and the team over at Remedy - this dude is an absolutely wonderful character.

Control-Casper-Darling-1024x576.jpeg

Initially something of a one-note 'happy science man' with a vaguely sinister undercurrent (which you pick up contextually, due to how suspicious everyone was of the guy leading up to the events of the story), Darling eventually becomes so much more as you slowly watch him unravel throughout his presentations and (surprisingly sweet at times) memos.

The best part though is how the execution never forgets that at the core of this character - no matter how bad things get - he is still ultimately that 'happy science guy'. So while things turn to shit and get worse and worse, Darling never loses his exuberant humour and passion for the things he's dealing with - he's still in love with the weird as fuck phenomena and technology, even as it threatens to destroy everything around him. He's worn down and beaten up, but he always has that trademark enthusiasm!

So when it turns out that the only reason Darling was suspicious is because we were viewing him through the eyes of Trench (ultimately the bad guy) and his only real mistakes were putting too much faith in Dylan and trying to save the entire bureau himself (fearing a lot of the darker information he was privy to would trouble his employees (like Emily Pope))? Damn, I couldn't have loved the dude more. Wonderful work from Remedy pulling a double swerve - instead of using the rote 'too-nice guy is a villain', they subvert that and keep him as something of a tragic, goofy hero. Exceptional work from Porretta in walking a fine line between sinister, playful and sincere at all times.

And oh my god, that moment where he seemingly ascends from the physical plane and calls you from the hotline with his own goofy visuals (he doesn't know where to put his hands - this is all so new to him!)? Amazing. His song in the Oceanview? AMAZING (I like to think of this as him beaming positive vibes Jesse's way). The memo where he brings treasured projector slides from his childhood days into the office, waits for everyone to leave, and then spends all night trying to run them through the slide projector - to go back to happier days? Amazing :(

What a wonderful, lovable character. And yoked too. How the fuck is that man in his 50s? What the fuck?

... What's your favourite character from this year?

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, I can't really pinpoint any character this year that stood out in the same way as Darling did, a fantastically written and acted character with motivations that doesn't fall directly into a predictable trope.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
I prefer Trench, mainly because of how absurdly cool it is to hear the Max Payne voice in a Remedy game again.

That and the surprise twist that the game was actually an Alan Wake sequel the whole time were fucking wild. I had a theory that the latter was going to happen, but the former completely caught me off guard.

The Dynamite music video rules though.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Just here for the Dr Darling appreciation thread. I loved finding each new piece of the puzzle for his story, I'm sure he'll be back for the DLC.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You nailed it, he's my favorite as well and by a large margin.

Should definitely be nominated for best performance at TGA.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Holy shit.. I hadn't really thought about this, but you might be right. He very well may be the best character of 2019. I looked forward to every little bit of his scenes.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's great, but Harry, Cuno, and Kim from Disco Elysium I would give the nod to.

It's amazing what they did in Disco with the PC still feeling like such an actual person and character even when you can say such incredibly dissonant things all the time.

Darling is probably the best performance though.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I love every characters of that game, there's something off and mysterious about each one of them and I went out of my way to talk and see if there's anything new on dialogue.

Kinda funny how jacked Darling though, dude has time worked out even after all the time spent on his job and mainly being paranoid about everything.

OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Trench, mainly because of how absurdly cool it is to hear the Max Payne voice in a Remedy game again.

That and the surprise twist that the game was actually an Alan Wake sequel the whole time were fucking wild. I had a theory that the latter was going to happen, but the former completely caught me off guard.

The Dynamite music video rules though.

I liked Trench a bunch too, especially when it gets into spoiler-ish territory. He was very cleverly woven into the perspective of the game.

The cast in general was great. Even a guy like Arish, who on the surface isn't terribly interesting, is somehow weirdly engaging and likable due to the performance.
He's great, but Harry, Cuno, and Kim from Disco Elysium I would give the nod to.

It's amazing what they did in Disco with the PC still feeling like such an actual person and character even when you can say such incredibly dissonant things all the time.

Darling is probably the best performance though.
Starting Disco later this week, so that's great to hear.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Top tier performance from him for sure. I love these live action clips on Remedy games, and Control didn't disappoint either.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy Deacon for probably all the wrong reasons lol. He reminds me a lot of Aiden Pearce from Watch Dogs where you're just playing a train wreck of a character. So it's interesting seeing how it all unfolds for them as the story progresses.
I don't really agree. Aiden was sociopathic and cringe. Deacon has a big emotional range and doesn't just have a total disconnect to everything like aiden does.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't really agree. Aiden was sociopathic and cringe. Deacon has a big emotional range and doesn't just have a total disconnect to everything like aiden does.

We'll have to agree to disagree since moments such as tackling Renegade camps and the like have Deacon sitting pretty closely to Aiden (Talking to himself about how he's going to murder certain people definitely doesn't help). I will say he at least does a better job of keeping his two personalities separate from those he cares about though. Aiden was definitely more chaotic all-around.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Probably the Sculptor, from Sekiro:

h0oi1eX.jpg

Learning more from him and what happened to him throughout the game, and then the conclusion... he left a impression on me.

Seeing him scratching his arm after a certain point, and then be totally consumed by hatred and becoming a demon...

8jgR7Bv.jpg

... and then finally thanking you from ending his life. That was really awesome.

OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the Sculptor, from Sekiro:

h0oi1eX.jpg

Learning more from him and what happened to him throughout the game, and then the conclusion... he left a impression on me.

Seeing him scratching his arm after a certain point, and then be totally consumed by hatred and becoming a demon...

8jgR7Bv.jpg

... and then finally thanking you from ending his life. That was really awesome.
Yep, alongside Emma and Isshin Ashina. The conversations over alcoholic beverages in Sekiro were fab, and are something I hope From carries over to Elden Ring and beyond.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree. Control is such a fantastic game and currently my Goty. I'm on my second playthrough right now and I'm still finding so much stuff that fleshes out the world.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Hard to choose

Fire Emblem
CONTROL
Final Fantasy XIV
Disco Elysium

They all have fantastic characters.

So I'll choose Emet-Selch from FFXIV. They're on a roll with good compelling villains.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Also here for the Darling appreciation. What a great performance, love all the live action stuff, especially involving him towards the last third of the game.

But how about them Threshold Kids? đź‘€ đź‘»

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Emperor Edelgard von Hresvelg

though should probably wait for Death Stranding for my final judgement

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Moma Kumakura from Ai: The Somnium Files.

momakumakuralwk9u.png

Ai was full of great characters like him and I also thought the cast of Control was really memorable. I liked Jesse, Ahti, Darling, Trench, etc.

Curious if Death Stranding or Shenmue 3 will top Ai or Control in terms of favorite characters for me this year.

OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Moma Kumakura from Ai: The Somnium Files.

momakumakuralwk9u.png

Ai was full of great characters like him and I also thought the cast of Control was really memorable. I liked Jesse, Ahti, Darling, Trench, etc.

Curious if Death Stranding or Shenmue 3 will top Ai or Control in terms of favorite characters for me this year.
Moma is my runner up! I would buy some kind of buddy cop spinoff with him in an instant.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Moma is my runner up! I would buy some kind of buddy cop spinoff with him in an instant.
That would be a Day 1 purchase for me as well. He didn't play a huge role in Ai but man was he fun and memorable. Just like Dr. Darling: Dude needs to get his 80s music rhythm game spin-off ;)

Also, Nico from DMC5 was a great sidekick.