• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In hindsight downgrade controversies were incredibly toxic. Not just because game optimization is a very real thing, not just because most things are shown at events like e3 without any malicious intent, not just because they provide a reference point for what the game is aiming to be. If anything, it's because of the amount of hate directed at developers and publishers.

It's important to remember that at game conventions, streams, anything involving a hands off demo etc. we're being shown a product that's literally not complete. And with that, given the toxicity that a title can receive if it actually looks like a WIP, one that has to look finalized. As things are not finished, things are also not set in stone. This varies ofc depending on the project being talked about and how long before release their first demonstration is vs. the actual product.

That means various things, from game developers getting a portion of a level to have what they intend to be the visual polish that the final project will have to multiple things in the gameplay having to be scripted and controlled which results in a level of polish that may or may not be present in the full game for various reasons, a mountain of which tends to come before "muhaha we evil devs have tricked the gamers into thinking this game will be good." That can even extend to the fact that a lot of the time, the person on stage is miming and isn't actually controlling anything beyond the character's position or that say, if they shoot an npc, they will always die the exact same way.

For examples of this I'd like to pull some excerpts from the following article:

kotaku.com

The Real Stories Behind E3’s Glossy Game Demos

You only get one chance to make a first impression, and for many games, that happens at E3. The annual mega show is nearly upon us, and developers are spending days and nights putting together flashy demos to convince us to open our wallets. What’s real? What’s fake? Maybe both? I asked some...

Scripting becomes a form of development "duct tape," a phrase that was uttered to me several times by various game makers during my reporting for this story. Games—even those that ultimately turn out to be great—are broken for the vast majority of development, often coming together at the last second. Scripting is a way to compensate for game systems that haven't fully matured quite yet. At E3, some games may not ship for several months yet. In other cases, they may be years off.
"No one was thinking 'let's just pull out all the stops, don't worry about bullshitting, we need to make the best impression we possibly can and we'll pay the piper afterwards,'" he said. "In some ways, it was a terrible shock to many of the people. [...] It doesn't mean the consumer or enthusiast on a message board should go 'oh, that's fine.' I understand perfectly—they're in their right to be upset or concerned about it. The one thing I can say is the difference between someone who is malicious in their intent to deceive you from the get go and people running into very real constraints in the working conditions."

Two final points I'd like to make is that, for all that toxicity, which can and has included threats being sent to developers, downgrade controversies are incredibly reductive when it comes to the actual discussion. It often includes taking an incredibly specific asset/set of assets looking different as evidence that EVERYTHING looks worse, or that they LIED TO US, AND BETRAYED US, AND, AND, AND THIS SPECIFIC DEV ON TWITTER KICKED MY DOG #DOWNGRADEGATE 😡

It honestly, after a generation of amazing looking games receiving these controversies, is tiring, and embarrassing. Especially since, consider the following, it's kinda ridiculous to get so angry whenever one of the best looking games of all time at release doesn't look as good as it did at a showcase, or trailer, for plenty of reasons. That being performance, art direction changes, renderer changes, asset changes, game design changes, etc. One of the most embarrassing examples being the spiderman puddlegate controversy

I feel that now that we're in a new console generation, and that the information about how and why some things happen is readily available, we should take care not to engage with "they downgraded the game." And yes, there are times where it's appropriate to speak up about deception if it's actually revealed that there was some intent to deceive players about what the game would be. As the largest gaming forum, and one where multiple people who work in the gaming industry frequently post here. I feel that we can do better. We can do better than looking at a puddle, or posting a screencap of a youtube video, to justify spearheading toxicity directed at developers.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
theyre dumb. the games always look good anyways. better than most stuff before them. never understood the weirdos who complain about them

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The ire should be put on the publisher. Note that there's no room for toxicity in either case. Just... don't show the game 3 years in advance. I think we're slowly moving in that direction. We've seen more concept trailers 3yrs out, then full showcase when the game is more or less in QA.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Gamers have been brought up on a diet of youtubers yelling at them to rage at every perceived injustice.

There is no nuance, everything must be exactly what it is or better, otherwise it's a betrayal.

Unfortunately this is the audience, you have to baby them so they don't end up hurting themselves over the aneurism they'll get over a fucking puddle.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
To me this is all part of a much wider problem that comes with the "graphics is king" culture that has become my most hated part of the industry. I hate it so much. Seeing tweets comparing two puddles that barely look any different or whatever, and then making it some huge deal. I just cannot understand it.

It's an aspect of the gaming community I feel the most alienated from, and one the huge presence of it does the industry more harm than good.

Not only is it targeted harassment by gamers towards developers like you say, skyrocketing expectations of graphical quality has led to vastly longer dev times (and of course crunch), more expensive game development costs and both of those things mean less games from formerly prolific publishers. It all just culminates in a ton of toxicity, elitism, crunch, etc. all in a never ending race for power as the best looking thing from last year suddenly becomes "shit" by this years standards.

So for me this problem is just one of the consequences of an overall nearly unbearable aspect of gaming culture that is just so rooted in the industry that seems almost pointless to discuss this sole problem without bringing up that wider culture that has led to it.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's ridiculous how so many grown ass people get hung up on the most minor of technical details. Remember Spider-Man's "puddlegate" and shit like that? So ridiculous. The games turn out good anyways 99% of the time.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Much love Eden. Much love.

It's always out of a place of wanting the game to look the best it can, I've never seen it where it's a way to trick the customers… I've never seen an artist on a game that doesn't want their stuff looking as good as possible, our jobs are literally dependent on that.

But game scope is insanely hard to predict and fitting all these insane ambitious in one "disc" is always going to come with some caveats.

I think it's important too to push your game early on instead of playing it safe.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I iiterally don't understand the impotent rage some have about a product they haven't even spent a single cent on because they had to scale something back

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The ire should be put on the publisher. Note that there's no room for toxicity in either case. Just... don't show the game 3 years in advance. I think we're slowly moving in that direction. We've seen more concept trailers 3yrs out, then full showcase when the game is more or less in QA.
I don't think most publishers can support the Bethesda model of literally not showing off the game until it's months from release. Especially given that AAA games take longer to make than they did during the ps3/360 generation. Where you could release a whole trilogy within four years while simultaneously making a new IP.
71VMbefICaL._SL1000_.jpg

Or when a game like COD could consistently stay polished despite two years of dev time at one studio.

In hindsight as in, "damn this really happened again and again over an entire console generation." Hell, people still bring up Halo Infinite E3 trailer. People still bring up the killzone trailer. Etc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Folks could really stand to be a lot less obsessed with graphics to begin with. These controversies always feel so ridiculous. Of course a reveal target render and an in-development product and a final release are gonna look different.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised at all that you're the one making this thread, Eden. I remember the front-row seat you had for some of the dumbest downgrade threads of all time not just here but back on GAF.

People who genuinely don't have a clue taking screencaps of highly compressed YouTube uploads of highly compressed TV streams and circling shit in MS Paint to prove a point. It's amazing how rarely these downgrade controversies ever amounted to anything more than that.

It's still happening and we just see less of it here than elsewhere. Unfortunately it's reinforced by the general sentiment that differences in a shipped product represent intentional lies on the part of the creators, which itself has been bolstered by a string of AAA releases as of late that have left people disappointed. That said, all too many of these controversies are, as you pointed out, often grounded in this reactionary, kind of 'gotcha' attitude that some people have, where they're very ready to point out even minor differences if they feel like it strengthens their argument, irrespective of context re: realities of the game development process - to such an extent that you end up with silly shit like puddlegate muddying the waters of discussion and giving people excuses to indulge in toxicity.

It would really help things if more people could keep themselves from jumping to conclusions long enough to try and glean just a cursory understanding of how things change during development, and what does and does not constitute a change worth questioning in the first place - instead of seeing a missing puddle and assuming that it's the result of a string of lies meant to deceive them.

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It's a gigantic waste of time and energy spent hunting for the tiniest changes (that are getting smaller and smaller as years go by, yet we're still getting reactions like it's 2014) in games that look amazing anyway, and the end result is people getting shamed and harrassed for no reason.

This kind of "conversation" should be instantly nipped in the bud if it goes beyond pure technical analysis to satisfy one's curiosity.

May 17, 2018
Hm, I agree and disagree.

We should all try to be less dramatic online, regardless of the context. It feels like an impossible request, and we're all guilty of slipping every note and then. We can do better.

At the same time, these trailers are meant to sell the games to us, so, they really should be just as close to the final product as possible. How many people bought BF2042 just based on the scripted trailers? Also, not every dev is guilty of this, so it makes downgrades more stand out more.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, there are people that take it too far (as there always are), but it is kind of stupid that it's just the norm to see a good looking E3 trailer and be like "yeah, the game won't look this good".

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think most publishers can support the Bethesda model of literally not showing off the game until it's months from release.
Why do you think that is? Is it because the other publishers don't have the clout? I feel like the people that pay most attention to media hype cycles are the hardcore, and they are more tuned into the minutia beyond clout anyway.

But yeah, it's not a foolproof solution either way.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Is it though? Anybody going out of their way to find and message devs are obviously unhinged and are without question wrong, but in general what's the big deal with people yelling into the void about a game looking worse than they imagined? It doesn't seem to effect sales any, it's not really hurting anyone... I think it's dumb most of the time but people saying such minor complaints are "toxic" and the like seems hyperbolic.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Is it though? Anybody going out of their way to find and message devs are obviously unhinged and are without question wrong, but in general what's the big deal with people yelling into the void about a game looking worse than they imagined? It doesn't seem to effect sales any, it's not really hurting anyone... I think it's dumb most of the time but people saying such minor complaints are "toxic" and the like seems hyperbolic.

It's never 'into the void' anymore, this isn't the 00s.

Whether it's twitter, youtube, Reddit, 4ch or whatever internet shithole there is out there, it'll inevitable spread.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if some of the folks that are yelling into the void aren't the ones tweeting devs about such things they still add to the cacophony of toxicity. The mindset in general is toxic and helps embolden those that do wind up harassing devs/community managers/pubs/etc.

And beyond all that it's just dumb as hell. Period.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
For an example of what it looks like when you go off script during an e3 demo, or...at least the ones that don't literally outright crash the second you do anything other than what's been rehearsed and polished over a month.

Anybody going out of their way to find and message devs are obviously unhinged and are without question wrong, but in general what's the big deal with people yelling into the void about a game looking worse than they imagined? It doesn't seem to effect sales any, it's not really hurting anyone...
I absolutely think it hurts the quality of discussion on this forum when we can have an 80 page thread accusing a developer of downgrading one of the prettiest looking games ever. And it's not into the void. We live in the age of social media multiple game journos create articles based around things said on this forum. We don't need to be the ones spearheading that shit.

It's weird because it's false advertising
It's not false advertising.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
If developers and trailers preface with "in development, does not represent final product" then that's completely fair. On the other hand, if they don't preface their marketing with the above stipulations, all criticism is fair since it's essentially false marketing.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, a lot of it is publishers/marketing trying to recapture that late 90s/early 2000s energy of massive improvements in tech, when we're getting diminishing returns from graphics improvements, because they think graphics is an easier way to sell quality than gameplay.

Also, they want to make people buy pre-orders months in advance, so making your thing look better than the other person's thing is a cheap way to do that.

So I get why people are pissed when the publishers/marketing make grandiose promises and the game doesn't deliver, even if they're involving shit most people don't care about.

That said, not announcing things until you're ~6 months out from release gets rid of the "We can't show honest footage of a WIP game, because we'll get dunked on for it being shit" problem.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Oftentimes I am just dumbfounded by how hard it seems to be for people to simply be understanding and patient before jumping on anyone's throat. Reasonable disappointment is one thing but dismissal of the work done, the skill involved just to make a game and put it out... not to mention the worst of it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Folks could really stand to be a lot less obsessed with graphics to begin with. These controversies always feel so ridiculous. Of course a reveal target render and an in-development product and a final release are gonna look different.

I can't get down with this. If you're a publisher positioning your game as a big ticket item at 60 or even 70 dollars I think its fair to want a good looking game in return. Especially when folks invest in high price TV's and Graphics Cards to get the most out of the visuals of their game. If its a smaller team or a smaller scope project visuals not being top of mind is excusable. Not so much with so called "AAA" releases though.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
When games have impressive visuals they dominate the E3 (or other event) news cycles. Ubisoft would do this year after year with Watch Dogs, Ghost Recon Wildlands, The Division (and more).

Actual functioning games are compared, unfavourably, to infeasible vertical slices. That isn't fair.

Most games don't have downgrade controversy. The process of optimization results in improvements - visual or otherwise.

When developers choose to walk the tightrope of presenting cutting edge visuals that they may or may not be able to pull off, the flipside to the abundance of headlines, positive articles, reaction videos is the criticism should the final product not match. It's really a minimal negative consequence for all of the publicity.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get down with this. If you're a publisher positioning your game as a big ticket item at 60 or even 70 dollars I think its fair to want a good looking game in return. Especially when folks invest in high price TV's and Graphics Cards to get the most out of the visuals of their game. If its a smaller team or a smaller scope project visuals not being top of mind is excusable. Not so much with so called "AAA" releases though.

A "good looking" game is not the same as "OMG THE PUDDLES LOOK KIND OF BLURRY IT'S RUINED". Like I said, people just take graphics and pixel counting way too seriously.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I never gave a shit. All those games still looked good enough for me. Literally never bothered me one bit if the graphics weren't as good as during development showcases. Also wish the discourse wasn't so toxic all the time about it.

uuddrlrl

May 30, 2021
The most pathetic was the nerdrage over No Man's Sky, for not delivering an in-game universe larger than the actual physical universe to explore. What happened to "just wait for reviews, and don't buy it if you don't think you'll enjoy it" ?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'll never get the obsession with perfect graphics in a time that even indies look stunning.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I can't help but have my mind flooded with the ocean full of blood that was the PS360 era, in regards to gamers expectations, the meltdowns when the games finally released (or showed gameplay), and then the wars between 360 and PS3-owners.

It chilled out a LITTLE bit last gen, but I feel it's gotten a second wind with how many crowdfunded games have been popular or the attention they've gotten.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Why do you think that is? Is it because the other publishers don't have the clout? I feel like the people that pay most attention to media hype cycles are the hardcore, and they are more tuned into the minutia beyond clout anyway.

But yeah, it's not a foolproof solution either way.
I mean, it's not about a lack of clout. It's that the marketing cycle keeps the game relevant in the social media space. As it's not just the hardcore that's giving these trailers millions of views, getting them trending on twitter, etc.

People have been conditioned to expect that from developers like Bethesda, or Rockstar as them being the exception to the crowd is what makes them immediately dominate all game discussion when they finally show something, which tends to also include not bothering with lots of specific gaming events that other publishers consider primetime for new footage. Like gamescom.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Obvious exceptions for things like the Intellivision Amico Cornhole downgrade where they were and still are trying to lie about the state of everything going on over there.

It's never cool to threaten ANYONE over video games, of course.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I can't think in a bad looking AAA game recently, but people still complain about minor things

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
When games have impressive visuals they dominate the E3 (or other event) news cycles. Ubisoft would do this year after year with Watch Dogs, Ghost Recon Wildlands, The Division (and more).

Actual functioning games are compared, unfavourably, to infeasible vertical slices. That isn't fair.

Most games don't have downgrade controversy. The process of optimization results in improvements - visual or otherwise.

When developers choose to walk the tightrope of presenting cutting edge visuals that they may or may not be able to pull off, the flipside to the abundance of headlines, positive articles, reaction videos is the criticism should the final product not match. It's really a minimal negative consequence for all of the publicity.

Good post. It all hinges on the need for marketing and building up anticipation.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's really a minimal negative consequence for all of the publicity.
Tell that to the very real people who receive the brunt of that "minimal consequence." And, your post would be valid, if the actual criticism was worthwhile, like criticism should be, and doesn't frequently play out exactly as described in the OP.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
It's never 'into the void' anymore, this isn't the 00s.

Whether it's twitter, youtube, Reddit, 4ch or whatever internet shithole there is out there, it'll inevitable spread.

So, it'll spread that the puddles look worse... And?

I absolutely think it hurts the quality of discussion on this forum when we can have an 80 page thread accusing a developer of downgrading one of the prettiest looking games ever. And it's not into the void. We live in the age of social media multiple game journos create articles based around things said on this forum. We don't need to be the ones spearheading that shit.

I feel like I don't remember seeing much of that here, and honestly, it's subjective. I for example think Dark Souls 2 looked better in previews, and think that the final product looked worse than Dark Souls 1, am I toxic for having that opinion? And if some journalist makes an article featuring people complaining about a texture, I think they deserve heat, not the posters.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd pin this thread any day there is a gameplay reveal honestly.

*game 6-10 months out from release*

"Wow that footage is looking ROUGH*

No shit Sherlock, it's still in development and likely undergoing a polish pass as you type. MY biggest pet peeve on here. It's a gameplay reveal meant to showcase the game as a preview, not a retail copy. Every developer on the team KNOWS it "looks rough". They're likely killing themselves to optimize it another quarter percent at a time through painstaking means. And then these same people turn around and cry bloody murder when there's a "downgrade-gate", which likely only happened because they wanted to fix the performance that "looked rough". They just can't win.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So, it'll spread that the puddles look worse... And?
Then suddenly a bunch of people proudly displaying their involvement with the studio on social media are out of nowhere bombarded with toxicity which does often include actual death threats but that's no biggie right? Why are you trying to justify toxicity??

I feel like I don't remember seeing much of that here
It's not just here though. We are part of the larger gaming community. This isn't stuff that happens in a vacuum. It's not 2012 anymore.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
There is "downgrades" like puddlegate which was just shitposting and i don't think anyone really took serious except a few fanboys. In general when talking about downgrades there is legit criticism, Witcher 3, Dark Souls 2, Watch Dogs etc had a lot of hype partly due to their visuals, especially Watch Dogs. it's false advertising and it deserves some backlash. I don't care for any excuses such as "vertical slice" to defend it, when we know the real reason is that Dark Souls 2 demo wasn't ever going to be running smoothly on the aging PS3.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on the downgrade, doesn't it? And by this I mean the conversation of downgrades, not in any way justifying a "if it's a big cut the developer deserves to be dropkicked" sort of thing. It's one thing if the lighting changes because the game is a much larger volume, but some companies, the one coming to mind the most here being Ubisoft, often present their showings as less like an actual game and more like a concept trailer despite trying to assert the latter is a wrong view to take. Half of the problem that goes into this stuff is when companies proclaim that what they're showing is real, and is demonstrative of the final game, though companies are less prone to play that dog and pony show in modern times. "Puddlegate" might be the only major example I can think of due to a lighting change; the last big examples of this were Watch_Dogs and Dark Souls II being really popular examples. Dark Souls II looks like a completely different game than even trailers weeks before its release were showing, and Watch_Dogs is another Ubisoft-like example where everything about it is exaggerated in significant ways. Both had their reasons for why people were upset, though I would argue Dark Souls II, surprisingly enough, as the bigger issue given it wasn't an E3 bullshot trailer, but literally everything they showed the game to what it looked like and how it ran performance wise. There was literally no version released that looked like anything shown to the media.

Remember when the Sony representative who debuted the footage above went out of his way for about a minute or so to straight up say this was running on a PS3 as real-time, in-engine stuff? It's very clearly a CG concept trailer. This is even an example where the deception was seen in a positive light as the game did evoke some of that, though clearly not to that level of fidelity. Thank goodness this era has been left in the dust.

Of course, getting a bit tilted with false advertisements is one thing, and that should never evolve to attacking developers who likely didn't make those choices on purpose, "good" or "bad" or however one wants to define them. There are many reasons for things to get cut and downgraded -- these are products to be sold, not art to be perfected -- so it really comes down to what the game was presented to be, and what it ends up being in the hands of players. Companies are more transparent about the bullshots so we're slowly getting out of the worst sort of examples, though some will clearly happen for more understandable development reasons instead of marketing tomfoolery.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt played Watch Dogs 1 for the longest, not really paying attention to it, and man, had tons of fun with it and it's a game I still get on to simply clown around.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In general when talking about downgrades there is legit criticism, Witcher 3, Dark Souls 2, Watch Dogs etc had a lot of hype partly due to their visuals
And all three were still pretty games at release. The Witcher 3 in particular was so pretty that it had tons of performance problems at release. That's why it tends to sound ridiculous.

"Yea these games were good looking at release. BUT, they were prettier in these specific demonstrations." Like ok? Have you considered looking at the reasons why?

Remember when the Sony representative who debuted the footage above went out of his way for about a minute or so to straight up say this was running on a PS3 as real-time, in-engine stuff? It's very clearly a CG concept trailer. This is even an example where the deception was seen in a positive light as the game did evoke some of that, though clearly not to that level of fidelity. Thank goodness this era has been left in the dust.
He did that without any of the team's knowledge or consent that he would. That's a very famous example. Because GG worked their asses off to get that game looking as good as as it did on the PS3.