Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now I've seen it all, Doom on the Switch being played with ........... a PC keyboard and mouse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjjbWJ_VHFs
Boy he's got one weird setup. I've got a XIM4 (m&k adapter for consoles that spoofs a controller), and a MagicNS (ps4/xbox one controller adapter for Switch). I daisy-chained them a couple of times, initially to see if I could play Splatoon 2 with a mouse and keyboard. I totally could, and in very short order discovered an exploit that paired extremely well with this setup, where - as long as I was holding the camera recenter button, my camera sensitivity would never change, even if I were moving, swimming, shooting, wielding the RainMaker, etc (situations where my camera sensitivity would usually be dramatically reduced). I played something like 20 or 30 Turf Wars matches with this setup, and in the end I came away having had fun with the novelty, but I'd still rather play the game with Joy-Con & gyro assist, as I'm more used to it for this game, and I think it's nearly or at least as quick and as accurate in practice as my experience with XIM4 was.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it your first time playing the new DOOM, my dear pug?
Yeah.
I watched some videos of people playing the better versions and it always looked slick as fuck but I had no idea it would be this fun. It's simple but elegant and I love that it has satisfying platforming and secrets.
Unfortunately, I underuse the chainsaw as I'm scared the cocaine infused demons will waste me.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Dat feeling when you finish a huge balls-to-the-wall fight, and you've killed everyone in the room... and THEN you notice the quad damage pickup.

Yeah.
I watched some videos of people playing the better versions and it always looked slick as fuck but I had no idea it would be this fun. It's simple but elegant and I love that it has satisfying platforming and secrets.
Unfortunately, I underuse the chainsaw as I'm scared the cocaine infused demons will waste me.
Nice, it's always great to see someone new discovering this gem of a game. It's my favorite shooter, full stop.

I save the chainsaw for summoners (the teleporting enemies that keep warping in new enemies). Also, when you start running into pinkies (the armored ones that charge you like a bull), the chainsaw is helpful for crowd control.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.
BTW, have you found any of the classic maps yet? Those are among the best hidden secrets. Many of the levels (maybe all of them? can't remember) have levers that blend in with the environment that you can find and pull to open up hidden rooms in the graphical style of the original DOOM. These, in turn, will unlock full-blown classic maps you can access from the main menu. It's amazing.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Doom is still at third on the eShop and now Skyrim is going up to 6th on pre-purchases alone.

Bethesda has to be thrilled by this. Or at least I hope so.

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, have you found any of the classic maps yet? Those are among the best hidden secrets. Many of the levels (maybe all of them? can't remember) have levers that blend in with the environment that you can find and pull to open up hidden rooms in the graphical style of the original DOOM. These, in turn, will unlock full-blown classic maps you can access from the main menu. It's amazing.
No.
:O

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I'm most relieved by is that I have no problem playing it. I completely suck at aiming in Splatoon 2, so I was worried, especially after some reports that it was difficult to use with the Joy-Cons, but at least on easy mode it's a blast to play and I'm not struggling with the controls.

Kinda reminds me of Doom on the GBA as I was also afraid that the game was going to be too difficult for me as a kid, but it ended up being my favorite game on the system. This one is doing the same thing to me.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Cacodemons always put a smile on my face. I find those guys oddly adorable.

wmIbDQn.png

What I'm most relieved by is that I have no problem playing it. I completely suck at aiming in Splatoon 2, so I was worried, especially after some reports that it was difficult to use with the Joy-Cons, but at least on easy mode it's a blast to play and I'm not struggling with the controls.

Kinda reminds me of Doom on the GBA as I was also afraid that the game was going to be too difficult for me, but it ended up being my favorite game on the system. This one is doing the same thing to me.
Yeah, I love it with the Joy-Cons. I know some are having trouble with it, but it works perfectly for me with no adjustments other than the usual "switch aim to invert."

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Gonna download the multiplayer later tonight to try it out!

Can it be deleted later to make space for other games?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Heavy Assault Rifle is one of the most satisfying automatics in videogames

Gauss Cannon is the best gun overall, tho

Or maybe it's the Super Shotgun

Damn, so many good pew-pews!

Advc

Nov 3, 2017

so nice to see the hype for this version im really enjoying it so far

It seems the hype for this game towards Nintendo users is going wonderful and this is just great to see! Never imagined seeing Doom going back on a Nintendo console and now that it did, it's great that it seems it's being supported a lot by the fans <3

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I just played a nice longish multiplayer session and I gotta say this is quite good. It's so much more arcadey than typical FPS multiplayer games so it just feels much more satisfying to play.

Now to find a good loadout for me. Combat shotgun has been working well, not sure what else to use though.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It seems the hype for this game towards Nintendo users is going wonderful and this is just great to see! Never imagined seeing Doom going back on a Nintendo console and now that it did, it's great that it seems it's being supported a lot by the fans <3
Generally speaking, if someone loves Nintendo, they'll probably love DOOM. It's pretty much a Nintendo game in spirit — in term of design ethos, in terms of game feel and its sense of joy. It's just dressed up in a "metal AF" style that's very cheeky and all in good fun.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I just played a nice longish multiplayer session and I gotta say this is quite good. It's so much more arcadey than typical FPS multiplayer games so it just feels much more satisfying to play.

Now to find a good loadout for me. Combat shotgun has been working well, not sure what else to use though.
Be sure to share your thoughts in the multiplayer thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-multiplayer-in-doom-is-actually-really-good.5720/

Also, my preferred loadout is Heavy Assault Rifle + Super Shotgun. Although I might change the latter to a Rocket Launcher to splash damage people from afar.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
That multiplayer map with the plants and Alien motif looks great. First time seeing it.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
That's the one. At first it pissed me off with the environmental slime damage, but the boost pads made me feel like I was playing Quake and the art is great. Have a feeling this is going to become one of my favorite maps :)
As soon as I finished playing that map, I went into bot mode and just explored it taking in the sights. There are some awesome-looking demon skeletons ensnared in the, erm, flesh walls. Incredible art direction. Really hope it's a location in the inevitable DOOM 2.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Odd question, but how do the classic Doom levels feel on this? :P

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
If this were $30, I'd grab it in a heartbeat just to have it in my Switch collection. Can't justify full price when i already played it on PC and PS4, though.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Odd question, but how do the classic Doom levels feel on this? :P
They're still fun, but obviously quite different from the original since you can, for starters, aim up! You still play with your realistic-looking guns, against realistic-looking enemies. You still have all of your movement and mechanics, i.e. double-jumping, Glory Kills, etc. It's just that they take place in pixel-perfect recreations of the classic maps, complete with the classic music and sound effects for switches, doors, etc. It's more of a neat novelty than anything else, but it's still one of the coolest unlockables in a videogame.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
They're still fun, but obviously quite different from the original since you can, for starters, aim up! You still play with your realistic-looking guns, against realistic-looking enemies. You still have all of your movement and mechanics, i.e. double-jumping, Glory Kills, etc. It's just that they take place in pixel-perfect recreations of the classic maps, complete with the classic music and sound effects for switches, doors, etc. It's more of a neat novelty than anything else, but it's still one of the coolest unlockables in a videogame.

Oh I've played on PS4 and PC, I meant more in terms of performance. I bet they look terrific on the Switch screen. Thanks!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, it'd be pretty great if Bethesda ported the PS3 classic DOOM collection to Switch.

New DOOM and classic DOOM in one place, on the go!

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Overall its crazy thinking about this. Multiplayer was never what people were after on ps4, x1 n PC. In fact, it was consider nearly a failure. Guess the crowd of the Switch is into something. We are seeking games that fit that old retro vibe and Doom MP just does that. I seriously having a blast playing it atm. Also i think i just found my perfect control sensitivity. 40% horizontal, 25% vertical, 95% smoothness ( yes, seriously), i feel its more smooth like it. Also motion blur is off since the smootness seem to also give a little when using it.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't picked it up myself yet (very rarely double dip in general, and never at full price), but it's been almost heartwarming seeing some Nintendo-primary or even Nintendo-only players I know get to experience this great game. It's best for everyone when Nintendo and the broader video game world are in conversation rather than being sequestered in their own bubbles. Rip and tear.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I am assuming this game really kills battery life in handheld mode, but I have no real claim to base this on other than, you know, my gut saying it is demanding game and it will kill battery life.
At first I was not going to pick it up, I already have the game for PC and PS4, but on Thursday I go on vacation, plan on bringing my Switch for the airplane and whatever down time I have.
While my initial plan was just to play Odyssey, which I have purposely not played a whole lot of just because of vacation, I am now thinking it would be nice to have a second game. It has been long enough since I played the game it is okay to revisit it and triple dip, but if it kills the battery faster as I expect it will, that could be a reason not to triple dip.
So what is the consensus here. Battery killer or no?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't picked it up myself yet (very rarely double dip in general, and never at full price), but it's been almost heartwarming seeing some Nintendo-primary or even Nintendo-only players I know get to experience this great game. It's best for everyone when Nintendo and the broader video game world are in conversation rather than being sequestered in their own bubbles. Rip and tear.
Yes, I agree! Next I want to see the Dark Souls series introduced to the Nintendo crowd. Also MGSV. Those are other games I think will really click with them based on overall game feel, design, etc.

Now if only there was a way to introduce Nintendo games to those who stick to PS4 and X1. That's obviously trickier since Nintendo games are exclusives.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I am assuming this game really kills battery life in handheld mode, but I have no real claim to base this on other than, you know, my gut saying it is demanding game and it will kill battery life.
At first I was not going to pick it up, I already have the game for PC and PS4, but on Thursday I go on vacation, plan on bringing my Switch for the airplane and whatever down time I have.
While my initial plan was just to play Odyssey, which I have purposely not played a whole lot of just because of vacation, I am now thinking it would be nice to have a second game. It has been long enough since I played the game it is okay to revisit it and triple dip, but if it kills the battery faster as I expect it will, that could be a reason not to triple dip.
I've been playing nearly exclusively in handheld mode. You have my word that battery life is good. It lasts as long (or longer) than Breath of the Wild in handheld mode.

What's also impressive is it stays quiet and keeps its cool, too. I thought the fans would start whirring like Splatoon 2, or it'd get hot like it sometimes does with MK8D, but nope.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For online, how do you become a demon?

Any sort or rune or something like scavenger to get more ammo of enemies? If not, best way to get ammo? Can you pick up enemies weapons?

Can only invite friends to play against randoms?

Sorry for all the questions lol

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I asked before and got no answer, is there no way to invite friends to a lobby to play matchmaking together? Is this a glitch or something that will be fixed?

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, it'd be pretty great if Bethesda ported the PS3 classic DOOM collection to Switch.

New DOOM and classic DOOM in one place, on the go!

Why not release Doom 3 on it for good measure as well! Anyway, I'm happy for the success this game is having. Hopefully this will incentivize Bethesda to invest in having IdTech6 further optimized for Switch. It would be cool for switch titles to have more dedicated attention from Id and Bethesda. Not saying that Panic Button did a bad job or anything, but they were limited with getting a game and engine to work on a machine that they were never intended to work on.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

Didnt do a full drain, but played like an hour and battery was like at 70-75% if i can remember. Id say a good 3.5 , 4 hours easy. Its surprisingly seem to be less demanding than BoTW, playing at like 75 brigtness.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Why not release Doom 3 on it for good measure as well! Anyway, I'm happy for the success this game is having. Hopefully this will incentivize Bethesda to invest in having IdTech6 further optimized for Switch. It would be cool for switch titles to have more dedicated attention from Id and Bethesda. Not saying that Panic Button did a bad job or anything, but they were limited with getting a game and engine to work on a machine that they were never intended to work on.

Doom 3 was shit. Sorry. Its anything but a Doom game. Rather have the original, doom 2 and final doom.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I got my copy in the mail this morning. Played roughly 5 hours? This is coming from a guy playing Doom originally on PC and Vulkan.

Yes, there's frame issues, yes, it's sometimes blurry...

But goddamnnn, It's doom! Playing on the sofa while SO was watching TV was awesome. It looks way better than i thought it would from all the comments. When you play the campaign and you're in motion, it fools my eyes pretty damn well. Incredible port, with the apparent succes the game is having on Switch, i'm sure there'll be patches later down the line that will improve a few things.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Whats your multiplayer ping like? I always seem to be red 1 bar, yellow 2 bar, rarely going to white three bar . Is this server side? Or there is some setting in my wireless causing that? I dont seem to be alone, when looking at other player they all range red, yellow white, making me think its server side, but i never went up three bar to white.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
that box art is good-ass graphic design. the first release reeks of some focus group testing in order to appeal to a wider audience.