• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
They're not fun to fight, is the problem for many I would say. They are easy to beat once you know the trick, but they still grind combat to a halt.

I don't know, I feel you can kill one about as fast as even of the other demons, if not faster, once you hit that weakness. I mean look at that one gif, it took him like 3 seconds or something to kill one lol

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone experiencing performance loss in PC? I could regularly hit 4K 60fps on my 2070 súper but now it's nowhere near as performing. I am getting dropped frames and dynamic res down to 50%

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was just about to purchase this having finished another big game but now I think I'll hold off and see how this plays out.

My question is why would they do this now? Is the idea that the "core" audience that would be angry with this move already purchased so, "Fuck it." Like, was this the plan all along or is this a move to combat the massive cheating issue in the MP component very few people care about?

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They're not fun to fight, is the problem for many I would say. They are easy to beat once you know the trick, but they still grind combat to a halt.
This is my take, too. It's not about how easy or difficult the Marauders are, it's how they harm DOOM Eternal's high points and what makes the game feel good. The game is at its best when you're running fast and burning down demons left and right, and Marauder tells you you have to get on the ground and approach combat a certain way. The fact that there's an enemy that makes you wait to kill it at all is poison to DOOM's flow.

Thankfully they're pretty rare.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is my take, too. It's not about how easy or difficult the Marauders are, it's how they harm DOOM Eternal's high points and what makes the game feel good. The game is at its best when you're running fast and burning down demons left and right, and Marauder tells you you have to get on the ground and approach combat a certain way. The fact that there's an enemy that makes you wait to kill it at all is poison to DOOM's flow.

This is exactly what makes them Eternal's ultimate pressure unit. They're quick and unrelenting in their attempts to close distance, but unlike a Hell Knight or Dread Knight they take sustained focus to kill which means you have to be good at playing around them while thinning the rest of the crowd. I personally find that to be thrilling and valuable to the experience.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
This game isn't out on Switch yet. But even then if this came to Switch, it's up to Nintendo to approve this draconic kind of anti-cheat. Considering Nintendo got screwed over before in a similar situation will probably delay Doom Eternal even more.
It was a joke, whether the update was in fact to make the game compatible with the Switch.

Nahual Amini

Oct 30, 2017
Marauders seem unchanged.

Meh.

It was, actually. At least in consoles.

It's not in the patch notes, but I fought with him in the last level for a weekly challenge. He has these changes:

- His swing attack with the axe is slower. He gives a bigger openning for a counterattack.
- He only activates his wolf counter when you shoot his shield a lot.
- He moves slower, and is less aggresive.

This is from experience, so I can't guarantee that was changed, but at least it felt like it. I was playing on Xbox One, Nightmare difficulty. I don't see why change his behaviour even in Nightmare? I mean, someone playing on this difficulty is in it for the challenge. Oh, well.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
This is from experience, so I can't guarantee that was changed, but at least it felt like it. I was playing on Xbox One, Nightmare difficulty. I don't see why change his behaviour even in Nightmare? I mean, someone playing on this difficulty is in it for the challenge. Oh, well.

Yeah I had the same feeling. Played Cultist Base Master Level on Nightmare, and when I fought the Marauder, I felt like the encounter was much more easier than when I did it the last few times I played this Master Level.

Maybe it's just me getting better and better, but definitely felt like something changed.

If they updated it, I'm quite indifferent to the changes. Not a huge fan of the Marauder, but I don't hate it either.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
It was, actually. At least in consoles.

It's not in the patch notes, but I fought with him in the last level for a weekly challenge. He has these changes:

- His swing attack with the axe is slower. He gives a bigger openning for a counterattack.
- He only activates his wolf counter when you shoot his shield a lot.
- He moves slower, and is less aggresive.

was that not always the case?

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Steam denied my refund request as I have played the game for more than 2 hours. Disappointed at the addition of the rootkit.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'm like 5 chapters in and I'm pretty sure I haven't fought the marauder yet.

When i do, is there something I should do to keep it fun? Y'all scaring me

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
So double dash by holding is still an option, excellent, much better that way.

Overall I want more content and this update did nothing for that.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
So double dash by holding is still an option, excellent, much better that way.

Overall I want more content and this update did nothing for that.

Shit really?

Just looking at the achievement stuff here in this game makes my head spin. Was waiting til I finished the story hoping my eyes didn't glaze over next time I try to look at the extra stuff to accomplish.

Is the MP really that bad?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US

So question about this. As he states in the video, things like Steam and Nvidia Experience also have kernel level drivers. What makes this update from DOOM so bad when these other things are obviously acceptable? Is it the fact that we trust Steam and Nvidia more, or is what he saying not actually correct? I'm clueless on this so genuinely interested, not trying to say this update is fine, just would love some more info. He basically says we just don't know what this does and could change down the road... I assume the same could be said for any program that has kernel level drivers... right?