• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Doom Eternal only sometimes feels like Doom, most of the time it feels like a Japanese action game - Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, etc. It also feels a LOT more like modern game design than 16.

I deeply prefer the gameplay and design of the classic Doom, and unlike 2016 Doom the reasons are more clear.

However there's still a lot to enjoy out of this one. I just wish we got more games like Doom (classic).

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
So, I was surprised that the PC version has HDR support, and how well it works. There are comprehensive controls for adjusting HDR, but also - it works without turning on HDR in Windows settings. For most games that support HDR, I had to go into Windows display settings (which would make Windows itself overly bright) and turn it on, but here, it switches on when you turn it on in game options, and when you exit the game, it switches off. Like on a console.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
So, I was surprised that the PC version has HDR support, and how well it works. There are comprehensive controls for adjusting HDR, but also - it works without turning on HDR in Windows settings. For most games that support HDR, I had to go into Windows display settings (which would make Windows itself overly bright) and turn it on, but here, it switches on when you turn it on in game options, and when you exit the game, it switches off. Like on a console.
I wish this was the standard across the board. Having to turn on hdr in windows settings before booting up a game just to unlock/reveal the toggle in-game is honestly kind of irritating.

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Come back in here when you've done the "Arc Complex" gate.

rOiM00x.gif
II'm on this level, and the gate was some of the most exhilarating shit I ever played in a while. So good.

Ultra-Violence was the way to go.

CoinReturn

Nov 7, 2017
I just love how this game looks. Messing with the HDR settings and turning off CA and motion blur really made things pop.

Playing it feels like the closest approximation to what I thought videogames would be like when I was a kid. Complete arcadey madness with a bit of exploration really hits the spot.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to rage quit on the marauder boss fight. Thankfully it finally clicked and I realized you have to really focus on killing him as fast as possible.
I think his wolf ability is just too much, without it it would feel fine.
Still took like a dozen tries on nightmare. Slayer gate took 3 tries as a comparison.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This game makes me feel like Id Software/Bethesda can only make good games by accident or when the suits upstairs aren't looking. The game is almost 100% going against what Doom 2016 was about other than the combat.

Cutscenes and exposition? Fuck'em! You don't need that. XP? Nah. Who the fuck cares? A million complicated systems? Nope, you're good. Have a pretty simple upgrade tree. Even the world design in Eternal is expressly made to work for the Doom Slayer. Oh look, a block with a fist symbol on it. I wonder if you should punch it... 2016 wasn't exactly coy about the design being video game-y, but it rarely felt like I was playing a game within a game.

Hell, 2016 even tried being subtle about any connection with prior games. I fucking groaned when I retrieved the Super Shotgun in Eternal and the game told me how awesome it was. In 2016 you got hype if you knew what it was or you got hype after it blows a demon away for the first time. Not because the game puts it on a literal pedestal.

The only thing that they got close to getting right is the combat, and even then I have a million frustrations with it! Maybe I'm outright remembering 2016 wrong, but the fact that Eternal has nearly never-ending (or they actually never end until the big guys are dead?) fodder enemies for you to glory kill and chainsaw--because you are going to run out of ammo and health--just feels weird. On top of that I have a flamethrower, a freeze grenade, a frag grenade, two dashes, and parkour bars just makes everything so insane that I easily lose track of things. On top of that, it feels like so many weapons are "answers" to enemies. Cacodemon? Just grenade/shotgun sticky grenade'em in the mouth and they get one-shotted. Spiders? Sticky grenade their turret and it's gone in one.

I won't get into just how long levels feel and how utterly exhausted I am after a 2.5 hour stint before I can go back to my upgrade-house and stare at the "Unmakyr".

What a goddamn disappointment of a game. It feels masturbatory in the worst kind of ways.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'm only on the 3rd mission. combat is insane but i feel overwhelmed trying to remember everything at the moment. i was struggling with ammo but seem to be OK now.

the platforming is a bit annoying. there are some jumps i've had to try a few times. also, i wish the guns sounded a bit better. they sound so flat and quiet.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Gameplay wise the game is absolutely fantastic and a blast to play. It's fucking intense.

I feel lost on the story though. It doesn't feel Doom there. Too mystical and magical

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
The amount of people defending the hard divergence from 2016's gameplay loop, even going so far as saying that 2016 was a bad game, and justifying the straight up slap in the face introduction this game gives through the first level is mind boggling. It reminds me of the "git gud" hostility that surrounds the Souls series. Maybe that was the entire point, but...

DyqSKoaX4AATc2G.jpg

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people defending the hard divergence from 2016's gameplay loop, even going so far as saying that 2016 was a bad game, and justifying the straight up slap in the face introduction this game gives through the first level is mind boggling. It reminds me of the "git gud" hostility that surrounds the Souls series. Maybe that was the entire point, but...

DyqSKoaX4AATc2G.jpg
Turn the difficulty down?
Doom 2016 had no balance in mind, you could complete the entire game with one weapon pretty much.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Turn the difficulty down?
Doom 2016 had no balance in mind, you could complete the entire game with one weapon pretty much.
It is still actively hostile to a player at a lower difficulty. I'm playing on Normal and dying pretty frequently. It's not about balance, it's about the game working against me until I find the solution to their combat encounter based off of enemy weaknesses and making sure I keep track of the 1872631897 systems they put into place.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
It is still actively hostile to a player at a lower difficulty. I'm playing on Normal and dying pretty frequently. It's not about balance, it's about the game working against me until I find the solution to their combat encounter based off of enemy weaknesses and making sure I keep track of the 1872631897 systems they put into place.
I think that's more of a case of the game being not for you than it being bad or doing something wrong

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think that's more of a case of the game being not for you than it being bad or doing something wrong
It runs contrary to the sort of fun that I think people had with 2016, which is why it's a disappointment. 2016 was content to keep things simple and that was awesome.

I'm perfectly happy with understanding the game ain't for me, but I can also criticize the elements of it that I think don't work and why I don't like it.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asking here, don't wanna bother with stupid guide sites. On mission 5 (super gore nest), how do you get those 2 early secrets? There's a one up on an organic pillar thing, and a praetor token hidden behind an organic door with teeth that I just can't get open

I doubt the flamethrower or blood punch are mandatory on normal, you only need to remember to move, shoot things, and use the chainsaw when you're out of ammo, that's like doom 16 but with one extra step in the loop
I guess there's weak point stuff, but the gist of it is "shield, shoot plasma, annoying weapons, shoot them to knock them off"

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Asking here, don't wanna bother with stupid guide sites. On mission 5 (super gore nest), how do you get those 2 early secrets? There's a one up on an organic pillar thing, and a praetor token hidden behind an organic door with teeth that I just can't get open

I doubt the flamethrower or blood punch are mandatory on normal, you only need to remember to move, shoot things, and use the chainsaw when you're out of ammo, that's like doom 16 but with one extra step in the loop
In the area where there's a blood pillar squishing up and down there's a punchable wall leading to the pillar with a 1up. Once you grab it it opens the door with the teeth

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

so the game is forcing you to switch your playstyle constantly to avoid repetition. Kind of like the point

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the slayer gate with a marauder in it. Not sure I'm liking them so far. The way to deal with them is very narrow, there's very little room to play with them. Maybe I'll git gud later on and find a way to toy with them.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of the people that think Eternal is a superior game to 2016 (which I liked but didn't love), but I don't think you can ignore the sheer number of people who wanted this game to be more like 2016. Maybe they could add a '2016 mode' cheat that doubles the amount of ammo you can hold and pick up, adjusts the weapon power to favour the later weapons and reduces the number of fodder enemies that spawn in arena encounters.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I guess there's weak point stuff, but the gist of it is "shield, shoot plasma, annoying weapons, shoot them to knock them off"

You gonna want to use that flamethrower on the Slayer Gates even on normal if you want to live.

Also, I missed a key on a level, can I just play the level to that point and then quit, or do I have to finish the level completely for it to let me keep the key?

I'm one of the people that think Eternal is a superior game to 2016 (which I liked but didn't love), but I don't think you can ignore the sheer number of people who wanted this game to be more like 2016. Maybe they could add a '2016 mode' cheat that doubles the amount of ammo you can hold and pick up, adjusts the weapon power to favour the later weapons and reduces the number of fodder enemies that spawn in arena encounters.

There's already an infinite ammo cheat that you get pretty early on if people really wanted something like that.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
If you could skip past all the intro screens and the bethesda login, this game would unreal as to how fast it can get you playing.

Starting a new game is insanely fast and restarting a checkpoint takes like 3 seconds. It feels so great no to have to sit there and wait. Especially since I'm dying multiple times during every encounter.

You can skip the intro screens on PC on Steam, go to set launch options and add:
Code:
+com_skipIntroVideo 1

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Exactly this. The design is aggressively prescriptive in the way you should play instead of providing incentives to play the way the designers wanted. The post earlier about the Marauder fight is a stark example of that. "Play it our way or don't play at all"

While I'm glad that a lot of people are loving this game, I'm firmly in the "Don't play at all" camp. At least it came with DOOM 64 which is a hell of a good time to play.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
It runs contrary to the sort of fun that I think people had with 2016, which is why it's a disappointment. 2016 was content to keep things simple and that was awesome.

I'm perfectly happy with understanding the game ain't for me, but I can also criticize the elements of it that I think don't work and why I don't like it.
Give it more time. It's a very dense game. As you improve, the things that are annoying to you now will become second nature and then the combat is just pure bliss.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Exactly this. The design is aggressively prescriptive in the way you should play instead of providing incentives to play the way the designers wanted. The post early about the Marauder fight is a stark example of that. "Play it our way or don't play at all"

While I'm glad that a lot of people are loving this game, I'm firmly in the "Don't play at all" camp. At least it came with DOOM 64 which is a hell of a good time to play.
You're not wrong. But also, once you have all weapons and have a decent amount upgraded, the game becomes less restrictive and allows you to fuck around more. The tightness and prescriptiveness is just a symptom of the progression in the game

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

DyqSKoaX4AATc2G.jpg
This makes me not want to buy the game. Ive read about 50 posts now about how it feels like they gone fucked up.

I just wanna go after DR Hayden and kill the demons. That is what happened in doom 2016. I want a sequel to THAT game.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
meathooking to an enemy and then bloodpunching them into oblivion is one of those "just fuck their whole day up" maneuvers thats consistently fun to do

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
This game makes me feel like Id Software/Bethesda can only make good games by accident or when the suits upstairs aren't looking. The game is almost 100% going against what Doom 2016 was about other than the combat.

Cutscenes and exposition? Fuck'em! You don't need that. XP? Nah. Who the fuck cares? A million complicated systems? Nope, you're good. Have a pretty simple upgrade tree. Even the world design in Eternal is expressly made to work for the Doom Slayer. Oh look, a block with a fist symbol on it. I wonder if you should punch it... 2016 wasn't exactly coy about the design being video game-y, but it rarely felt like I was playing a game within a game.

Hell, 2016 even tried being subtle about any connection with prior games. I fucking groaned when I retrieved the Super Shotgun in Eternal and the game told me how awesome it was. In 2016 you got hype if you knew what it was or you got hype after it blows a demon away for the first time. Not because the game puts it on a literal pedestal.

The only thing that they got close to getting right is the combat, and even then I have a million frustrations with it! Maybe I'm outright remembering 2016 wrong, but the fact that Eternal has nearly never-ending (or they actually never end until the big guys are dead?) fodder enemies for you to glory kill and chainsaw--because you are going to run out of ammo and health--just feels weird. On top of that I have a flamethrower, a freeze grenade, a frag grenade, two dashes, and parkour bars just makes everything so insane that I easily lose track of things. On top of that, it feels like so many weapons are "answers" to enemies. Cacodemon? Just grenade/shotgun sticky grenade'em in the mouth and they get one-shotted. Spiders? Sticky grenade their turret and it's gone in one.

I won't get into just how long levels feel and how utterly exhausted I am after a 2.5 hour stint before I can go back to my upgrade-house and stare at the "Unmakyr".

What a goddamn disappointment of a game. It feels masturbatory in the worst kind of ways.

Yea, I agree with a lot of this. Beyond the gameplay changes, the world just feels off compared to 2016.

The way secrets were handled, such as how you could discover the plasma rifle early in level 2.
The way progression remained in context and within player perspective.

There was a lot of subtle details to 2016 that Eternal just disregards. Even weapons and powerups in 2016 were usually ripped off bodies, corpses, or from something tanglible in the world, like a secret locker. In Eternal you have holograms or some nonsense waiting for the Slayer to just stumble upon. Even secret discoveries were better hidden. In 2016 there was greater context to their discovery. In Eternal, there are endless cracked walls to punch.

For as much love some have for the combat changes, I really am let down at how far they distanced from the other aspects of design.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i can only give the advice for the people that are not that warm with the game yet: give it time to get accustomed to the new systems, start using the "this weapon is for this enemy" meta, learn to use dash in fights as soon as you get it and maybe visit the training arena in the base.

i think this game will definitely take longer for some people to click, others even might be having the real fun on their second playthrough only. it is definitely way more involved than the 2016 Doom and has a different design philosophy.

There was a lot of subtle details to 2016 that Eternal just disregards. Even weapons and powerups in 2016 were usually ripped off bodies, corpses, or from something tanglible in the world, like a secret locker. In Eternal you have holograms or some nonsense waiting for the Slayer to just stumble upon.

For as much love some have for the combat changes, I really am let down at how far they distanced from the other aspects of design.

well, it is much more oldschool when it comes to this than 2016 Doom. Eternal is basically late 90s gamedesign and style with modern graphics. this time they´ve gone for the "we don´t need a reason why this upgrade is here other than giving you a new weapon" approach.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Give it more time. It's a very dense game. As you improve, the things that are annoying to you now will become second nature and then the combat is just pure bliss.
You're not wrong. But also, once you have all weapons and have a decent amount upgraded, the game becomes less restrictive and allows you to fuck around more. The tightness and prescriptiveness is just a symptom of the progression in the game
Honestly these responses just validate my opinion. If I was looking for a Souls style of game where I needed to master every enemy on a knife's edge I'd boot up Dark Souls, not DOOM. I shouldn't have to play through hours and hours of the game just to get to the point of enjoyment.

The vibe of 2016 was "they locked you in a tomb. you're pissed. rip and tear." and it didn't care how you accomplished that goal. Here I have be methodical about my actions or I will be severely punished. Even on the easiest difficulty setting.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eternal is everything I liked about 2016 but turned up to 11. I love the arcadey feel of everything.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What difficulty should I play this on? Want some challenge
Ultra-Violence is stomping me something fierce in ways Doom 2016's UV never did, but it's already feeling like the ideal way to play for me. It makes you value most of the mechanics they put into play. Playing 2016 and Eternal really feels like the difference between playing a Musou game and a DMC or Ninja Gaiden game.