• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Just like in the previous game, I can't find a keyboard button to activate it. So when I wanna use it, I switch to gamepad (D-pad down).

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is one game I love watching streamers play. Watched long chunks of a Nightmare run (Fengcrush) and it's great to see people with skill in action. The final boss is insane on that mode, props to whoever can beat that. Weird that they also give you the sentinel armor choice, don't think anyone playing that mode is gonna go for that.

And to anyone dreading or having trouble with the Marauder: they do really get easier over time if you're used to them. At the end you'll just shrug when one appears.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
anyone else playing with controller on PC? for some reason I can''t get the aiming to be as smooth as with Doom (2016) on Xbox One.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Sometimes after a long fight I press the Share button and capture the video, because 'that was just crazy, right?'.

After watching it back: 'Yea, that was crazy..'

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I also highly believe it's totally ok to start on an easier difficulty to just nail the fundamentals of the combat so you can evolve your skills to take that next step in difficulty.

It's a game with a capital G.

It has rules, and you gotta abide by them. The pudding is in the execution and to acquire the cognitive aptitude of every battle.

I love all of this.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Asked before and didn't get a reply but is the Sentinel Armour option only when boss fights are repeatedly failed, or normal encounters? And does difficulty affect this?

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Just like in the previous game, I can't find a keyboard button to activate it. So when I wanna use it, I switch to gamepad (D-pad down).

It's the right Alt key. If you try it on keyboard, would you tell me how it went?
When I try to take the photo with the spacebar, it doesn't seem to complete.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of sentinel armor, I picked something in the ARC complex master level that looked something like it, but was it that? It was a white/blue floating armor.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marauder pro tip: upgrade the balista-arbalest (kill 20 cacos with it) asap and use that.
Strat: Pre-charge it, when eyes go green shoot him and shoot him again with another charged shot, you have enough time
I think it takes 3 cycles to kill him.
Main drawback is you're zoomed in when charging that shit but it's worth it. Just be mindful of dogs.

If you have to move around for health/armor/ammo, you can still spam rockets and grenades at his feet, it will hurt him a bit, may save you a cycle overall.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think the game is absolutely excellent and overall a much more refined package than the previous game, but I really feel like I prefer 2016's combat.

The combat system in Doom Eternal is over-designed in a way that ultimately makes it all feel more restrictive. Forcing you to spin so many plates at once simply becomes more obnoxious to me than anything. I do like all of the mechanics, but them all playing into one another makes me feel like I have to play the game in certain ways I personally find less fun, especially when it involves turning enemies like cacodemons into a minor gimmicky distraction rather than a major enemy. The sheer speed of the game also makes it overwhelming in a way that genuinely exhausts me too.

One of the worst parts for me is that I feel like I am either doing too little or too much damage to enemies when I need health. The game encourages you to be wasteful of your resources and go absolutely insane, but in a pinch you suddenly need to be careful and focus on barely grazing trash mobs to get a little health. I know there are more ways to get health, and armor is always an option too, but this just feels like an awkward way to go about it. Perhaps the levels themselves should have more healing items in them and the glorykills should award you with a bit less?

That said! I am absolutely loving the difficulty, level design, storytelling, easter eggs and collectables. I think the 1ups are such a brilliant and gamey addition too. I really hope Ninja Gaiden 4's developers take a good long look at this game for inspiration.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
It's the right Alt key. If you try it on keyboard, would you tell me how it went?

Just tried:

Alt key does nothing.
It makes my screen blink for a instant, but nothing happens.

The only way I have to enter Photo Mode, once enabled, is to use the gamepad. :/

When I try to take the photo with the spacebar, it doesn't seem to complete.

Same.
But I'm on Steam so I can grab images through it.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Does the story ever explain the jump from Doom 2016 - Eternal? Because I'm on level 3 and don't understand how I got out, why I have VEGA, or why I have my rad space fort.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really, really happy with the redesigned enemies to look more like the OG sprites. The Cyber Demon is incredible, and no silly enemy intros they just show up and wreck shit.

Also love how the game doesnt give a fuck about being "gamey" - floating weapon pickups etc.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Really, really happy with the redesigned enemies to look more like the OG sprites. The Cyber Demon is incredible, and no silly enemy intros they just show up and wreck shit.

Also love how the game doesnt give a fuck about being "gamey" - floating weapon pickups etc.

I prefer all new Enemy designs besides the Revenant. 2016 Revenant still reigns Supreme.

maxresdefault.jpg

Overall i cant really decide if i like Eternals´ Art-direction better then 2016. Vastly different to a point where i cant say i prefer one over the other.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
the Marauder is much easier to handle after that initial boss fight...in large open arenas you can just run around and bait him into his attack move

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the story ever explain the jump from Doom 2016 - Eternal? Because I'm on level 3 and don't understand how I got out, why I have VEGA, or why I have my rad space fort.
Errr sort of lol but not that much
From what I gather the angel dudes provided the fortress, intro kind of implies that? Other than that eh
VEGA got backed up at the end of 2016

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
Played a bunch more battlemode and managed some wins as the slayer. You basically have to be hyper aggressive, constantly killing demons for health and armor while picking at the player demons.

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that I feel like holds this game back a little is the heavy handed tutorializing. I get why they did it, but I feel like it sells the game short.

It's the exact same issue Sekiro has, actually. In that the game gives you a very efficient way of dealing with each move through unmissable pop up tutorials. And since every player knows how to deal with everything, they never experiment, and go on to claim that the game has no room for doing anything differently from the exact approach the game wants. And it doesn't help that it's pretty close to optimal.

But in Sekiro, the way this hurts players is that they never try new approaches, keep doing the same thing and dying over and over, unable to beat the boss. This is a lesser issue, because if they're failing, then the game is already communicating that there might be a better way, it's their fault they're not listening.

But in Doom Eternal, what happens is that they give you the answer that would be cool to figure out by yourself. For example, the shielded dudes appear, and the game instantly tells you to switch to the Plasma Rifle and shoot their shields so they can overload and cause an AOE blast. Why would you ever try anything else? If it said nothing, more people would likely realize that they have openings in their shields for their hands, and shooting their hands with the scope will disable the shields, Halo style. Then, later, either they'd try it out by themselves or they'd read someone mentioning online that you can actually blow up their shields with the Plasma Rifle.

That still trivializes any other approach, and will be the one they'll use every time from now on, but it feels like a discovery, like experimenting with the systems lead the community to the correct answer, instead of just being handed that answer on a silver platter. I'm sure other ways will be found with time and the meta will evolve to ignoring most of the tips the game gives you and favoring something else instead, but for a first playthrough, you're basically just doing what the game tells you.

This is a minor issue for me, I should say, since Sekiro has the same problem and it's one of my favorite games of all time, and Doom Eternal so far has been easily one of the best FPS campaigns I've ever played, but it's something to keep in mind for a possible third game. I know the director said that the game is not about figuring these things out, it's about execution, but a lot of people have been criticizing the game for lacking that experimentation period.

That being said, a negative consequence of getting rid of some of the tutorialization is that the game will have to become easier on all difficulties. They give you the answer to every enemy, and encounters are still pretty fucking hard, so if you have to figure out a way to deal with them yourself on top of that... they'll likely have to make it a little more manageable.

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer all new Enemy designs besides the Revenant. 2016 Revenant still reigns Supreme.

maxresdefault.jpg

Overall i cant really decide if i like Eternals´ Art-direction better then 2016. Vastly different to a point where i cant say i prefer one over the other.

What makes Eternal's Revenant more memorable to me is the actual in-game behavior.

I've only played 2016 for the first time this year, and for all these years I've always loved the Revenant's design, and kept wondering how that thing fought, what did it do, and how to deal with it. Then, when playing, at least on Ultra Violence, the answer is "It doesn't do much. You deal with it the same way you deal with anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯", but in Eternal, at least on Nightmare, they're the guys who keep jumping and dashing around, shooting with their thingies, with lock-on missiles you need to dash or double jump to disengage, that you can disable their guns so they'll have no choice but to rush at you 2016 style. Such a massive leap in enemy design.

They're actually a distinct threat, even if not a necessarily super powerful one, in Eternal. So I've spent much more time looking at them, to the point where I'm only now noticing the differences by looking at them side by side. In 2016 they're just the dudes I run up to and shoot, in Eternal they're the dudes I need to switch to "Fighting Revenants" mode, and focus on the fight.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
What makes Eternal's Revenant more memorable to me is the actual in-game behavior.

I've only played 2016 for the first time this year, and for all these years I've always loved the Revenant's design, and kept wondering how that thing fought, what did it do, and how to deal with it. Then, when playing, at least on Ultra Violence, the answer is "It doesn't do much. You deal with it the same way you deal with anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯", but in Eternal, at least on Nightmare, they're the guys who keep jumping and dashing around, shooting with their thingies, with lock-on missiles you need to dash or double jump to disengage, that you can disable their guns so they'll have no choice but to rush at you 2016 style. Such a massive leap in enemy design.

They're actually a distinct threat, even if not a necessarily super powerful one, in Eternal. So I've spent much more time looking at them, to the point where I'm only now noticing the differences by looking at them side by side. In 2016 they're just the dudes I run up to and shoot, in Eternal they're the dudes I need to switch to "Fighting Revenants" mode, and focus on the fight.

Gameplay-wise 100% this. But the overall Design of 2016 had a distinct garnlyness to it that i miss in Eternal and especially in the Revenant Design.
Its kinda funnny because Eternal goes generally really hard into disgusting fleshy Structures, blood and gore but 2016 feels visually more visceral still.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost finished doom 2016 (ninth level all of them at 100%. Why did I wait so long. Gonna straight to eternal after

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but feel on UV in this game playing aggressively has been replaced with running away continually and doing hit and run attacks on the bigger guys. I don't think I'll do future playthroughs on UV unlike 2016.

Also I'm definitely going to go and load up 2016 tonight and do a move speed comparison because the run speed feels so slow in this, I'm wondering if 2016 felt the same or if Eternal has slowed it down in exchange for the dodge.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but feel on UV in this game playing aggressively has been replaced with running away continually and doing hit and run attacks on the bigger guys. I don't think I'll do future playthroughs on UV unlike 2016.

Also I'm definitely going to go and load up 2016 tonight and do a move speed comparison because the run speed feels so slow in this, I'm wondering if 2016 felt the same or if Eternal has slowed it down in exchange for the dodge.
You move much faster with the dash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at late game, up to Kalibas

I recall someone earlier in the thread wondering if there was a direct Metroid influence
There's no more definite yes than this

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017

VEGA was 'saved' at the end of 2016. The Slayer makes a backup when he destroys Vega's centrral processing unit. I read all the codex entries for Eternal, but I don't recall them explaining how the Slayer went from being teleported away by Samuel at the end of 2016 to him showing up on Earth with his fortress of Doom.

Feb 24, 2018
Is it just me or is the Zombie Soldier model in the game looks suspiciously like the Doom Marine from Doom 3?

maxresdefault.jpg

Well their both better than:
latest

I like Doom 3 (weakest of the ones I've played and uses the same jump scares WAY TOO MANY TIMES to the point it becomes boring and predicable but still an okay game) and I will say it's a shame we'll likely never updated versions of the Cherubs, Maggots, Wraiths and Bruisers.

giblet

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That still trivializes any other approach, and will be the one they'll use every time from now on, but it feels like a discovery, like experimenting with the systems lead the community to the correct answer, instead of just being handed that answer on a silver platter. I'm sure other ways will be found with time and the meta will evolve to ignoring most of the tips the game gives you and favoring something else instead, but for a first playthrough, you're basically just doing what the game tells you.

This is a minor issue for me, I should say, since Sekiro has the same problem and it's one of my favorite games of all time, and Doom Eternal so far has been easily one of the best FPS campaigns I've ever played, but it's something to keep in mind for a possible third game. I know the director said that the game is not about figuring these things out, it's about execution, but a lot of people have been criticizing the game for lacking that experimentation period.

Late game I'm not finding the above to be true. They show you a few enemies, but I've find novel ways to kill nearly every demon (although I still plasma the shield guys!). For example, using plasma burst on an Arachnotron's gun works brilliantly, as does setting certain demons on fire, or a Blood punch combo with another weapon. They show you some basics, but there are nearly ways around everything if you experiment.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Is it just me or is the Zombie Soldier model in the game looks suspiciously like the Doom Marine from Doom 3?

Well their both better than:
latest

I like Doom 3 (weakest of the ones I've played and uses the same jump scares WAY TOO MANY TIMES to the point it becomes boring and predicable but still an okay game) and I will say it's a shame we'll likely never updated versions of the Cherubs, Maggots, Wraiths and Bruisers.

Those fucking spiders

0wqgceZBT6Pugv9BZMjkPiNw0uZf2pKH3Up-rqQYwYD3m-uAokVy-UNzLWde3l1VSTzuJ_6Lcws07ee4yFGynAcPFmhQ

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
anyone else playing with controller on PC? for some reason I can''t get the aiming to be as smooth as with Doom (2016) on Xbox One.

The game has noticeable input lag I have found. Try disabling v-sync and triple buffering if you can live with tearing or have other ways to address that. Also I find lag is higher at very high resolutions.

Oct 25, 2017
Late game I'm not finding the above to be true. They show you a few enemies, but I've find novel ways to kill nearly every demon (although I still plasma the shield guys!). For example, using plasma burst on an Arachnotron's gun works brilliantly, as does setting certain demons on fire, or a Blood punch combo with another weapon. They show you some basics, but there are nearly ways around everything if you experiment.
That's great to know, then! That even in a first playthrough things start to change.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i finished the campaign but
i have not unlocked doom 1. it says 13 of 14 discs installed.
did i miss anything?

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it on Nightmare. Collected everything and did all the Slayer gates.

Holy hell what a fucking amazing game. The whole philosophy of its design feels so lean and classic, reminds me a lot of character action games or God of War 2 or something.

Man that was RICH meal though. I need a break from all video games for a couple days haha

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Game is kicking my ass even on regular difficulty in the first level lol.

I guess I must be getting old, them reflexes aint what they used to be :*(

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Instead of replaying the game by completely restarting it and changing the difficulty, I'm just going to replay levels on harder settings. No fucking way I'm giving up this meat hook, even for 3 levels on a new play.