• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I wish more games would target 60fps on home consoles like this, and then I wouldn't be so tempted to spend stupid money on a high end gaming rig.

As far as Pro and X are concerned, I hope it's more Doom 2016 (pretty much locked 60fps on the X at least) than Wolfenstein II (unlocked 40-60fps framerate).

It just looks so much fun, fast and frantic. There just aren't enough games like this anymore. I hope the multiplayer gets a bigger following this time around, I love the small and crazy old-school sci-fi maps in games like this a lot more than the popular multiplayer games on the market.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wish for the day that this team can finally touch Quake Single Player. It needs a return.

Should just tie the universes directly together at this point. Have the Strogg as cyborg alien invaders while Shub Niggurath and her minions start flooding in now that the gates to Hell are opened.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I'm so hyyyyyyyyyyped. Jesus the really went all the way didn't they? Holy shit.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish more games would target 60fps on home consoles like this, and then I wouldn't be so tempted to spend stupid money on a high end gaming rig.

As far as Pro and X are concerned, I hope it's more Doom 2016 (pretty much locked 60fps on the X at least) than Wolfenstein II (unlocked 40-60fps framerate).

It just looks so much fun, fast and frantic. There just aren't enough games like this anymore. I hope the multiplayer gets a bigger following this time around, I love the small and crazy old-school sci-fi maps in games like this a lot more than the popular multiplayer games on the market.

Check out Quake Champions. It officially launched out of EA today and it's great. It's PC only, though.

Should just tie the universes directly together at this point. Have the Strogg as cyborg alien invaders while Shub Niggurath and her minions start flooding in now that the gates to Hell are opened.

With DooMGuy, BJ and Ranger all being playable in Quake Champions, and talk of adding Fallout and Prey characters, my hope is that they turn that game into the Smash Brothers of early FPS games. Give us Duke, Caleb, the Quake 2 guy (Kennerman? Finnerman? something like that) and Lo Wang.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap that looks good. ...I should really play the 2016 game. Maybe I'll buy it this weekend.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Me neither, but I do find myself doing this all the time when I play DooM wads (mostly trying to figure out where the hell the keycard I need is).

I think DooM has always had some exploration, but it's obviously a lot less intense than it is in Metroidvania games. Part of the appeal of the old games and the best maps of the 2016 game is how huge and non-linear the maps are.
I feel like Doom 2016's map design was good in that they were mostly linear, but in a way that wasn't too obvious. While the maps were big and had plenty of places to explore, they often contained points of no return (like one-way jumps, doors, and so on) that cut off large swaths of the map as you completed them to make sure that you never got too lost. Except unlike many games, the way maps cut you off was usually pretty well hidden, so you rarely noticed that you couldn't go back too far unless you went out of your way to look. And while there were a few truly open maps that let you do objectives in whatever order you wanted, the varied objectives were usually placed close enough together that didn't spend that much time just walking from point A to B with nothing to shoot at.

It led to just the right amount of exploration imo. You were rewarded for poking around nooks and crannies, but you never got too far away from where you were supposed to go next.

Holy crap that looks good. ...I should really play the 2016 game. Maybe I'll buy it this weekend.
It's really good, and runs really well on most hardware too. Definitely check it out.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I did get a chuckle watching all the humans shit their pants at the sight of him when none of the demons cared. If you listened to the lore stones in the last game it's the demons who talk about how scared to death they are of him.
Animals attack when they're frightened. Fight or flight.

They're demons, so it's always fight.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orgasmic visuals

Is the same doom guy? what happened the the design turning to be more edgy on the armor and weapons.

Also multiverse earth, did earth goverment was so dumb to open to portal to Hell

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Orgasmic visuals

Is the same doom guy? what happened the the design turning to be more edgy on the armor and weapons.

Also multiverse earth, did earth goverment was so dumb to open to portal to Hell
Yeah same doom guy they just turned up the notch on how powerful he's becoming, hence the blade and shoulder rocket launcher/flamethrower.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Orgasmic visuals

200.gif

Of course they are and you know it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that Doom 2016 Earth had completely adopted Argent (Hell) Energy as its main energy source. Which means everything on Earth was powered by hell, and thought nothing of it because the UAC carefully hid or tried to downplay what they were actually doing to get that energy.

So yeah, they probably were that dumb.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I don't really like is the shoulder cannon and melee blade weapons. They feel very tacked on (quite literally), and I think there's just something more cathartic about tearing demons apart with your bare fists.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they are and you know it.

Remember that Doom 2016 Earth had completely adopted Argent (Hell) Energy as its main energy source. Which means everything on Earth was powered by hell, and thought nothing of it because the UAC carefully hid or tried to downplay what they were actually doing to get that energy.

So yeah, they probably were that dumb.

I thought most of the Argent energy research use was on Mars, Dang it Humanity

Even the IA wants humanity to be friendly with the Demons, lol

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Looking real solid, even if it's a bit too familiar

I'm a bit disappointed that the glory kills and enemy design still look as boring as they were in the first game though

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Really represents the worst of this forum, not everything needs to be politicized, not everything needs to offer some social commentary or be progressive for the industry. It's fucking DOOM, you blow up demons and have a lazer sword.

Ridiculous...
Actually it is Very Good to be extremely online and never give anyone the benefit of the doubt and constantly consume media with the absolute worst intentions and expectations.

Didn't think I'd see an argument about the potential offensiveness of Doom demons invading earth as a metaphor for illegal immigration in America, but nothing shocks me on Era anymore

discussing politics in a Doom game

y'all sad as fuck tbh
I just want to point out that these kinds of posts are far more annoying than the posts that are pointing out statements that are suspect but otherwise giving the devs the benefit of the doubt (except for one poster who just stepped out - and I don't see anything wrong with that, either).

Mocking the entire idea of paying attention to these things is extremely questionable. I can't respect that.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Looks good, I like how there is a bit more brighter colors ala the gif above.

The grappling hook looks like a lot of fun flying through the air shooting baddies.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
im going to dive into doom shortly, never really played it to be honest other than a level or two. But if someone told me this was a level from the first, I would believe them. I am not seeing much "improvement" tech wise

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Im really hoping they launch this with quake champions as the on-disc mp component for consoles.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Not feeling it (yet, I hope). Was hoping for less gimmicks (here they add the melee blade, hook thing, pipes and other out of place stuff to interact with the environment instead of use your own mobility, the climbable parts which kill the speed, what else?), more pure gameplay, less arena focused fighting but otherwise similar to the last one.

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 29, 2018
So they've added a lot of vertical design to the levels, and given you the ability to really just fly all over the place, and that looks really fun. Less small arena focused, maybe? It would be good if they mixed giant open areas like this with the more constricted battle arenas rather than just getting rid of the arenas altogether.

Yeah looks like a good iteration on what Doom 2016 was.

Only thing I didn't like was the AI giving arch dialogue. 'demon can be an offensive term, please use mortally challenged' - look, it just ain't funny, and it's irritating. We don't need GTA style comedy layered over this, the gameplay and premise is over-the-top enough without constantly pointing at it and going 'look! aren't we so crazy? haha wow!'.

Not feeling it. Was hoping for less gimmicks, more pure gameplay, less arena focused fighting but otherwise similar to the last one.

What exactly do you mean by gimmicks?

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just want to point out that these kinds of posts are far more annoying than the posts that are pointing out statements that are suspect but otherwise giving the devs the benefit of the doubt (except for one poster who just stepped out - and I don't see anything wrong with that, either).

Mocking the entire idea of paying attention to these things is extremely questionable. I can't respect that.

And it seems lots of people can't respect people who hunt for meaningless outrage. What a melting pot of perspectives we have here on Era :)

If this is actually a topic people feel strongly about, I'd suggest taking it to a separate thread instead of trying to hijack this one. I don't think anyone is interested in going through the motions of this pointless argument again.

im going to dive into doom shortly, never really played it to be honest other than a level or two. But if someone told me this was a level from the first, I would believe them. I am not seeing much "improvement" tech wise

Yeah, it's interesting how closely this seems to mirror the DooM - > DooM II update. Tech and engine is largely the same, but the core gameplay is getting enough cool stuff infused into it to keep it fresh.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Only thing I didn't like was the AI giving arch dialogue. 'demon can be an offensive term, please use mortally challenged' - look, it just ain't funny, and it's irritating. We don't need GTA style comedy layered over this, the gameplay and premise is over-the-top enough without constantly pointing at it and going 'look! aren't we so crazy? haha wow!'.
The first game had a lot of this too, though?

"Please speak to your supervisor if you're interested in volunteering as a human sacrifice."

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
It's really good, and runs really well on most hardware too. Definitely check it out.

Yeah, I just pulled the trigger. $10 on Steam, so why not? I also just recently upgraded to a mid-range pc, so yeah, I should be fine. Can't actually play it until Sunday, but looking forward to diving in!

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
And it seems lots of people can't respect people who hunt for meaningless outrage. What a melting pot of perspectives we have here on Era :)

If this is actually a topic people feel strongly about, I'd suggest taking it to a separate thread instead of trying to hijack this one. I don't think anyone is interested in going through the motions of this pointless argument again.
Or you could just drop it and not keep trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. It's really not that big a deal either way.

Your incessant desire to mock people because you see it as "meaningless outrage" (note: there was no "outrage" in those posts, just mild suspicion) honestly makes me wonder why you're even here in the first place. You know what kind of place RE is, right?

And no, there will be no thread for this. It's in the trailer, we're going to talk about it in the thread about the trailer. If a mod thinks it's "hijacking", then sure, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Or you could just drop it and not keep trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. It's really not that big a deal either way.

Your incessant desire to mock people because you see it as "meaningless outrage" (note: there was no "outrage" in those posts, just mild suspicion) honestly makes me wonder why you're even here in the first place. You know what kind of place RE is, right?

And no, there will be no thread for this. It's in the trailer, we're going to talk about it in the thread about the trailer. If a mod thinks it's "hijacking", then sure, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

Interesting you're telling me to drop it when I'm not the person who brought it back up after 3 pages of actual discussion. Also interesting you're questioning my intentions when your only posts in this thread seem to be trying to stir shit up again. If only I was capable of analyzing subtext, I'd be able to figure out what's actually going on here.

But sure, please, lets drop it.

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 29, 2018
The first game had a lot of this too, though?

"Please speak to your supervisor if you're interested in volunteering as a human sacrifice."

Yeah I didn't like it there either - I only just remembered that the first one had some of this too. I think it's just because it's presented so prominently in this gameplay demo, it came off as especially obnoxious. I don't think they need to be adding this kind of weak comedy to what's going on. I know certain people will like it, but I think the attitude of the Doomguy is comedy enough, without words. No need to layer it on this thick, and especially with trite dialogue like 'demon is an offensive term'.

Not a huge deal though - I mean, I hope - it's just the only thing I had which I didn't like about what I saw.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haaaa that's glorious :)
If i could see young me, i'd make me drool with that doom is nowadays.

edit the lil touches are great, red key, it's borderline poesy