• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I love this version so much. It is incredible. The music in it is awesome too.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Never played this - I guess I'm in. Sad to see it release so late though, I would have liked to play this before eternal.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks a lot brighter than the original game, but I imagine they'll have an option for brightness if it's anything like the Turok ports. Now the only problem is the long wait.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Of all the 'later today' and stuff announcements, this game, one of the ones I was looking forward to the most is of course randomly not coming until NOVEMBER. :|

lol. *cries*

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The lighting looks way off. Honestly, just looking at the screenshots, it looks like a totally different game, nothing like the style and atmosphere of the original.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I remember playing hours with a friend at a local arcade... Fun times. I will get it as well. Damn, just this year this will be my 5th Doom purchase, wtf!!

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
So this has to be like a preorder bonus for Doom Eternal, right? I don't understand why you'd release it on the same day if it weren't.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Since this is a n64 game, there is a possibility that the closest to the code source anyone has is in the hands of Nintendo.
How insane can that be?
This version of Doom 64 was rebuilt from the ground up & is really Doom 64 EX, a custom PC port, the source code for these older games is mostly lost.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
A bit later than I was expecting, was hoping for another shadow drop.

Bring on Final Doom and Sigil.

Chronokeys

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn that trailer was bright, I know the original game is a bit too dark but this was overkill, hope there's a slider or something to adjust it.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
A great game and worth playing as a DOOM III, as opposed to the actual Doom 3.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That much DOOM on one day...
a6959f53-7a6b-4ed9-8873-8973847931be.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Great news. DOOM 64 was the first DOOM game I ever played, and is one of the most underrated games out there.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being genuinely creeped out at the mood and atmosphere in this Doom. There were a few moments it legit scared me. Years ago. I'll probably be fine playing it in 2019.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Didn't realise it was the same date as the new Doom, hmm a bonus for people buying that too would make sense. Why else would you release 2 Doom games on the same day?

Personally I'll be playing Doom 64 before the new one lol, I want to play the new one but I don't buy many new games at launch - can swing the cost of a retro release though.

I'm just really happy to have a modern way to play this classic, for so many years it had been 'forgotten' to time despite everyone actually loving it!!

It really was a fantastic N64 exclusive.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh, I'm there. I am in. I am sold.

If the recent rumors about Doom Eternal's potentially bonkers-assed narrative are true, this re-release is even cooler.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I was curious about this game until Jeff said this (from their "talk over an event stream")

Nov 23, 2017
I was curious about this game until Jeff said this (from their "talk over an event stream")

Honestly, this is why I don't like that guy at all or Giant Bomb. Constant negativity and concern trolling and a fanbase that listens to them as gospel. That weak ass drive by take and you won't get it? Seriously? He didn't even say why it was bad.

Game is fantastic and one of the best Doom to console conversions at the time (I know it's an original game).

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this is why I don't like that guy at all or Giant Bomb. Constant negativity and concern trolling and a fanbase that listens to them as gospel. That weak ass drive by take and you won't get it? Seriously? He didn't even say why it was bad.

Game is fantastic and one of the best Doom to console conversions at the time (I know it's an original game).

The good things about Jeff revolve around his incredible insight into an industry he has spent decades covering, not his game opinions. His taste in games has been ridiculed since the 90s, it's not why he is such a legend.

Nov 23, 2017
The good things about Jeff revolve around his incredible insight into an industry he has spent decades covering, not his game opinions. His taste in games has been ridiculed since the 90s, it's not why he is such a legend.
I've worked as a journalist and have utmost respect for his chops as far as that goes. But what I said is still what I think. (Also, he did make his career off reviewing...so I feel like you're downplaying things for some reason)

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
it's great but definitely a sleeper critical hit. like 10+ years ago nobody could give two shits about it

wasn't until a decade after doom 3 people realized they actually preferred just running around and shooting shit. and in that light it was like "hey, that one for N64 was pretty bitchin"

So could it be argued as a "proper" DOOM 3, that's more in the vein of the first two games? If so that does interest me.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wikipedia states that Doom 64 is a sequel to Doom II:

Doom 64 is a first-person shooter video game for the Nintendo 64 that was developed and published by Midway Games on March 31, 1997. It is a sequel to the Doom series, taking place after Doom II.

Engadget also reports that Doom 64 is a sequel to Doom II:

If you'll recall, Doom 64 wasn't a port. It was considered a sequel to Doom II, and it included both 32 brand-new maps as well as redone artwork and tweaks that included a new laser weapon, the "Unmaker." It wasn't as universally acclaimed as the core Doom PC titles, but it had its fans.