• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the regular shotgun is too weak in Doom 2016 & Doom Eternal?

• Yes it's too weak compared to the old games

Votes: 132 26.2%
  • Yes but I don't really mind

Votes: 96 19.1%
  • No but I think the spread should be tighter, like in the old games

Votes: 88 17.5%
  • Nah it's perfectly fine, the shotguns in the old games are too OP

Votes: 187 37.2%

• Total voters

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I'm talking about the shotgun itself, not the grenade launcher mod. The grenade is useful yes but that's not the shotgun itself.
The regular shotgun is so weak it can't even reliably kill zombies & imps in one shot unless you literally get right up to their face.

I don't know what they are scare of, why can't the shotgun just be as effective & useful as the one in Doom & Doom II?
In Doom 2016 more than 60% of the time the shotgun will not one hit kill zombies & imps. You have to get really close and the aim has to be pixel perfect to kill an imp in one shot.

At this point I've beat the game more than 10 times and I'm kind of used to it. 90% of my shots on imps are one hit kills now, but in a way that's really just not fun or satisfying.
I just don't like how I have to literally sprint up to a demon's face before I pull the trigger, it's literally the same playstyle as Doom 3, only faster.

In Classic Doom games you can one shot imps 8ft away with the shotgun, and no it doesn't break the game, it only makes the shotgun useful alongside your plasma rifle and rocket launcher.

Honestly I blame this all on the Glory Kills, the team is so excited to let us see the new Glory Kills that they are literally downgrading the weapons so we don't ''accidentally'' kill the demons with guns.

Ask yourself, how many demons are actually killed by guns in your playthrough of Doom 2016? How many are killed by the Glory Kills? How many times have you pulled the trigger of your shotgun only to see the imp right in front of you glowing blue & orange instead of being blown to pieces like it should've?
Try turning off the Glory Kill Highlights in the menu and play the game that way, you'll be surprised just how spongy the demons are in the Doom 2016.

From what I've seen in the videos (and I've watched a lot) the shotgun in Doom Eternal is still just as underpowered. Just look at this clip, how did the zombie at 5:03 survived literally TWO shots? (Actually it's three but the first shot missed so it didn't count)

(Time Stamped 5:03)

EDIT:
Another proof of the regular shotgun being way too underpowered in Doom Eternal

This is from the new IGN video, the player is shooting a zombie at fairly close distance while in mid-air.
I pause the frame where you can literally see the projectiles flying out of the barrel and I'm pretty sure most of the projectile landed on the zombie, if not all.

PGTKwF8.png

Nope, didn't kill it, only staggered for glory kill.

ttttDt7.jpg

Can't wait for Eternal but they need to fix this. The shotgun literally can't even kill a zombie.

I am sure many of you have watched countless Doom Eternal gameplay videos on YouTube at this point, have you noticed how people rarely use the shotgun and whenever they swap to it they are all using the sticky grenade mode instead of the shotgun itself? It's because the players all subconsciously know that the shotgun isn't really an effective weapon in combat, especially in mid-game.

It really upsets me that the workhorse weapon of the franchise are being treated like a grenade launcher instead of a proper shotgun. In the old games the shotgun & super shotgun are both very well balanced, the regular shotgun can kill up to mid range and is reasonably poweful, the super shotgun is super powerful but the spread is much larger than the regular shotgun thus more useful in close range. The super shotgun didn't make thre regular shotgun obsolete in the classic games.

I will use the screenshots from my game to demonstrate:
Super Shotgun - Close Range
sl02MT3.png

Super Shotgun - Mid Range (Almost out of its effective zone, beyond this distance and you no longer kill effectively.)
UX4EQfX.png

Regular Shotgun - Close Range (The regular shotgun in Doom 2016 won't even one hit kill a zombie at this range, don't believe me? Try it yourself)
RhfZVhh.png

Regular Shotgun - Mid/Long Range (Still very effective up to this distance, at this range it would be wiser to use the regular shotgun instead of the super)
7Gw1Lj3.png

It always amazes me how much effort they put into the weapon balancing in the classic Doom games, especially compared to modern Doom.

Here's how the shotgun should be in new Doom games, just my 2 cents:

Ironic cause this gun is done (consulted) by id software and they did a fantastic job here

Last edited:

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't like the shotgun in doom2016, but the one in eternal sound great. Crunchier than before and the auto fire looks šŸ”„

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Agreed, barely used the regular shotgun because of this in doom 2016. Just felt weak and unsatisfying to use.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
For a weapon you get so early in the game, I think it was important for the shotgun to create those glory kill opportunities. I think that if it killed the enemy outright, it might not have been so effective in teaching newcomers about the importance of glory kills. Plus, it probably needed to be weaker for the super shotgun to really shine.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I didn't like the shotgun in doom2016, but the one in eternal sound great. Crunchier than before and the auto fire looks šŸ”„

I agree it looks & sounds 10x sexier, but I really hope it's not as underpowered as the one in 2016.

For a weapon you get so early in the game, I think it was important for the shotgun to create those glory kill opportunities. I think that if it killed the enemy outright, it might not have been so effective in teaching newcomers about the importance of glory kills. Plus, it probably needed to be weaker for the super shotgun to really shine.

Makes no sense and sounds like shitty way of balancing weapons. Outside of the pistol there's no such thing as a ''starter weapon'' in Doom, it's not an RPG where the moment you pick up a new weapon the old one becomes useless or worse.

The importance of glory kill is to provide health in critical conditions (aka low HP), but to make the shotgun weaker so it can make glory kills shine is like cutting off your own arms to make yourself run faster, yeah you run faster now because of the weight loss but at what cost?

Last edited:

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
The shotgun in Ultimate Doom is the greatest FPS weapon of all time. Completing the whole game with just that weapon alone is sublime.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Once you get the other shotgun, the shotgun 1 fire > switch > shotgun 2 fire > switch > shotgun 1 fire > etc... Combo is strong enough.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
They want weapons to have more narrow situations where that weapon is the correct choice to make the best strategy being switching weapons on the fly to have the right tool for the job instead of the shotgun being the default weapon.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Yeah. Playing 2016 now, the problem was the super shotgun. Its effective against...literally everything.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I loved the mag dump regular shotgun, it was definitely my workhorse non-explosive weapon in Doom 2016. I guess my experience was way off the usual? I found it plenty effective well into the end-game.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the mag dump regular shotgun, it was definitely my workhorse non-explosive weapon in Doom 2016. I guess my experience was way off the usual? I found it plenty effective well into the end-game.

This was my experience as well.

The shotgun was fine.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
There's 2 reasons the normal shotgun doesn't kill instantly.

1) it's one of the first weapons you get, and the game wants you to do glory kills to get new rescources

2) The game wants you to switch weapons constantly. They mostly achieve that in DOOM 2016 with some exeption like the super shotgun just being too good.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The shotgun in Eternal is the default weapon now (there's no pistol), clearly gonna be a little wack because of it.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

The 3 round burst is cool but it's kinda sad how you need to fire 3 shotgun shells at a time to make it a good weapon.

Again, the shotgun is far more useful in classic Doom games and those games are amazing.

The shotgun in Eternal is the default weapon now (there's no pistol), clearly gonna be a little wack because of it.

Terrible balancing, they might as well delete the shotgun after you get the Super Shotgun.

Outside of pistol there's no such thing as a starter weapon in Doom, all weapons are Doom guy's powerful tool against the hell horde.

The regular shotgun & super shotgun are perfectly balanced in Doom II, see my OP post for comparison. The super did not make the regular obsolete.

Last edited:

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Yeah I agree. It feels like they want the shotgun to be your default standard weapon now more than the pistol with how weak it feels. which doesn't feel quite right to me. A shotgun is supposed to feel powerful.
I actually think the feel of the shooting in Doom 2016 isn't that great. It lacks impact and the sounds are not great either.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yep, agreed. The shotgun in '93 is one of the most satisfying FPS weapons of all time. The shotgun in 2016 is just okay.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its basically the pistol of the new Doom games and is mostly irrelevant once you get the Super Shotgun.

It does have some interesting alternate modes, like the grenade that seems to one-shot Cacodemons or the auto-firing mode.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. I recently completed Doom 2016 again on Nightmare and more or less relied on the mg with zoom, the super shotgun, and later on the gatling instead of the mg. It's really not that well balanced.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The shotgun in Doom 2016 didn't bother me at all. It's more of a last resort weapon that you only have to deal with for a short bit before getting something better or getting an add-on. They should just remove the pistol and make the shotgun the weakest one.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Its basically the pistol of the new Doom games and is mostly irrelevant once you get the Super Shotgun.

Old Doom: Makes the Super Shotgun powerful

New Doom: Makes the regular Shotgun garbage so the Super Shotgun appears powerful

It's more of a last resort weapon that you only have to deal with for a short bit before getting something better or getting an add-on.

The shotgun should NOT be the last resort weapon in a DOOM game

It's freaking DOOM, come on. We are talking about the same franchise right?

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Yeah.. for a Doom game, both shotguns were not that great.. hoping that in Eternal they are way more powerfull...
I just would love to see some shotgun like that one which was in the original Painkiller.. that thing was a beast
youtu.be

Painkiller - gameplay compilation

Painkiller (PC Windows game) - gameplay footage Published by DreamCatcher Interactive Inc.Developed by People Can Fly, Sp. z o.o.Painkiller is a "bullet hell...

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Old Doom: Makes the Super Shotgun powerful

New Doom: Makes the regular Shotgun garbage so the Super Shotgun appears powerful

The shotgun should NOT be the last resort weapon in a DOOM game

It's freaking DOOM, come on. We are talking about the same franchise right?
Maybe, but that's the way they made it, and I had no problem with the game anyways. I'm constantly switching weapons fast anyways, so I hardly ever linger on it unless I need the grenade launcher.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
The shotgun in Doom 2016 didn't bother me at all. It's more of a last resort weapon that you only have to deal with for a short bit before getting something better or getting an add-on. They should just remove the pistol and make the shotgun the weakest one.

Which is what they did in Eternal according to the previews.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, the basis is that the weapon balancing is shit compared to Old Doom. Actually the weapon balancing is shit even without comparison.

Outside of the Super Shotgun, the weapon balancing is fine. In fact what you are advocating for (a stronger base shotgun) would have hurt the balancing more than the alternative the game uses.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Outside of the Super Shotgun, the weapon balancing is fine. In fact what you are advocating for (a stronger base shotgun) would have hurt the balancing more than the alternative the game uses.

Nope, there're mods for Doom 2016 that makes the shotgun spread tighter & more powerful and it makes the combat way more fast paced and satisfying.

Here's the weapon balance mod for Doom 2016, try it it's great.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/weapons-mod-for-doom-2016

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
It's fine

that's why the double barrel shotgun is in the game also

TKRunningRiot

Oct 26, 2017
It has the sticky bomb mod that is super useful for taking out enemy weak points, and is a hard counter to the Cacodemon.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
DOOM 2016 has poor weapon balance overall - the super shotgun, gauss cannon and rockets are all you need.

That said, I was fine with the shotgun being a little weaker because putting enemies into a glory kill state is important to stay alive. The real problem imo is the mods weren't comparable to the strongest weapons in the game, but Eternal might address that. The sticky bomb instant staggers cacodemons and blows off enemy weak points, and I have a feeling that full auto may be a sleeper DPS contender.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

If your answer to "bad balance" is "this weapon isn't stronger than the others" then that's literally advocating for more imbalance.

When people are swapping between weapons a lot (as many in this thread have attested to), that's balance. It may not be a balance that you like, but it's balance.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
The 3 round burst is cool but it's kinda sad how you need to fire 3 shotgun shells at a time to make it a good weapon.

Again, the shotgun is far more useful in classic Doom games and those games are amazing.

Terrible balancing, they might as well delete the shotgun after you get the Super Shotgun.

Outside of pistol there's no such thing as a starter weapon in Doom, all weapons are Doom guy's powerful tool against the hell horde.

The regular shotgun & super shotgun are perfectly balanced in Doom II, see my OP post for comparison. The super did not make the regular obsolete.

No, the super shotgun in eternal will have very limited range. The shotgun won't be obselete because it has other uses the super shotgun cant perform

Stop lumping the two games(2016&eternal) together, they are different.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It has the sticky bomb mod that is super useful for taking out enemy weak points, and is a hard counter to the Cacodemon.

Yes which is why I said in the OP: ''It really upsets me that the workhorse weapon of the franchise are being treated like a grenade launcher instead of a proper shotgun.''

It you want a grenade launcher then put a grenade launcher in the game, don't make the shotgun obsolete and then turn it into a grenade launcher.

No, the super shotgun in eternal will have very limited range. The shotgun won't be obselete because it has other uses the super shotgun cant perform

Stop lumping the two games(2016&eternal) together, they are different.

Hope you're right but so far the regular shotgun seems underpowered.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really know about that. I felt it was peefectly fine. Not as powerful as the original but it was still usefull later on in the game. You just gotta upgrade it.

Doom 5 shotgun seems to be even better. The new modess they added and the crunch make it out to be a really good weapon even later.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm also really confused about the stance on the Super Shotgun in Doom 2 - most of the "pro" Doom youtubers I watch these days completely discard the regular shotgun upon getting the Super. It's an example of really awful balancing if anything, with one very niche use for the regular shotgun (for a job the chaingun does better?)

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Don't really know about that. I felt it was peefectly fine. Not as powerful as the original but it was still usefull later on in the game. You just gotta upgrade it.

I upgraded it on all 11 playthroughs of Ultra Violence and it is still much weaker than other weapons. The only thing that makes it useful is the mod.

Like I said, the shotgun in Doom 2016 is just bad, it's not a shotgun it's a grenade launcher.

I'm also really confused about the stance on the Super Shotgun in Doom 2 - most of the "pro" Doom youtubers I watch these days completely discard the regular shotgun upon getting the Super. It's an example of really awful balancing if anything, with one very niche use for the regular shotgun (for a job the chaingun does better?)

Yep, Era have no idea how weapon balance works in arena shooters (aka fast-paced shooters where you can carry 8 weapons at a time)

Look at all the dumb posts saying ''yeah it's weak that's why they give you the super shotgun''

By that logic they should just delete the base shotgun and replace it with a grenade launcher, what a waste of weapon slot and keyboard shortcut.

Last edited:

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
The shotgun being an all purpose weapon is not balance.

it's precisely the reason the super shotgun is unbalanced for example.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the super shotgun replacing the standard shotgun, but I do mind the regular shotgun still taking up one of the prime 1-5 weapon slots that I can easily reach with my finger while playing. Same with pretty much all of the later high-powered weapons which are all you use by the end of the game; I think there should at least be an option to put them in the lower-number slots, and have you press them twice to get the weak early-game weapons.

Oct 27, 2017
I upgraded it on all 11 playthroughs of Ultra Violence and it is still much weaker than other weapons. The only thing that makes it useful is the mod.

Like I said, the shotgun in Doom 2016 is just bad, it's not a shotgun it's a grenade launcher.
I guess we had a different experience then. It was still great for me even when the bigger demons showed up.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the super shotgun replacing the standard shotgun, but I do mind the regular shotgun still taking up one of the prime 1-5 weapon slots that I can easily reach with my finger while playing. Same with pretty much all of the later high-powered weapons which are all you use by the end of the game; I think there should at least be an option to put them in the lower-number slots, and have you press them twice to get the weak early-game weapons.

Now this i agree with. Let us easily customise the shortcuts.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

You nailed it

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
wow really a case of bad weapon balancing in doom 2

it's not supposed to be an rpg where one gun is immediately better than another

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
When I played the original Doom for the first time recently I ended up basically using the shotgun for 90% of the time because of how good it was, the only time I switched was when there were too many enemies to deal with or if there was a boss monster, and it was usually to the plasma gun which felt just as overpowered. Granted, this was on Hurt Me Plenty rather then one of the higher difficulties, but still, I didn't really feel the need to switch up my weapon usage that much.

On the other hand with Doom 2016 I was constantly switching between weapons especially with the lack of ammo the game gives you, and none of the regular weapons really felt that overpowered.

Also Doom 2016 is a very different game compared to Doom 1993, more similar to Quake then anything else with the game emphasising player movement in a way that the original Doom couldn't do due to engine limitations. The weapons are weaker but it's a lot easier to get out of bad situations.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
In 2016 the base shootgun was there for emergencies, not for fire power. Personally i was fine with it.