The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Can we not do this? The man attended a fascist rally. What the people raised to love him unconditionally think of the whole affair does not suddenly cancel that fact out.

Don't tone police bro

It's perfectly fine for someone to be sad that a child lost their parent, even if their parent was at a Donald Trump rally and was murdered by a right wing madman

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Odd that they're not just claiming the shooter was actually antifa. I was sure that would be the next conspiracy from them.

That argument is *all over* TikTok. It's craziness. But like the level of disconnected from reality you have to be to believe that is just nuts. Although that describes a lot of these people.

I have less anger towards the individuals who post this shit on TikTok, either that the shooter is some left wing antifa guy or that it's a false flag staged assasination, than I do the platform that promotes these videos NON STOP and makes money off of them.

Like there's something deeply fucked up about the algorithm that all of the content on TikTok, or at least like 95% of it; is insane conspiracy crazy shit. And that's how they make their money. I get how it works, people "engage" with conspiracy insanity so TikTok sees engagement = positive and it promotes it more and more and more, and like accurate, fact based accounts of the event don't engage in the same way so the algorithm buries it. But they're a media company, the second wealthiest media company in the world behind YouTube, they deserve to be held to the same standard that we would if some TV channel promoted thst narrative nonstop. Algorithms are editorial in nature, even if the engineers and executives are too fucking dumb to know what sort of editorial decisions they're making.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
It's not good that there was violence and someone was killed. It's awful that his kids will be without a father.

But I'm not expending a single ounce of sympathy for someone like this

People do and will always say stupid shit all of the time that I don't agree with. Family members who support Trump say stupid shit all of the time that I have to bite my tongue over because there's no point in trying to argue any type of reason into them. I still wouldn't wish death on them even if my shred of sympathy might be an all-time 2%.

This entire situation has made me hoping that none of them are stupid enough to go to a trump rally at this point.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the consensus was that the shooter hit the teleprompter and Trump got cut by the shattered glass.

That was something that some law officer speculated\said right after it happened before any real analysis was done. If there's been further word on it being glass and not from air displacement from a near miss with a bullet I haven't seen it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
It is, and the fact that people try to roll their eyes at you when you point it out is really just their true colors showing.

I've come to find the way in which people have been primed to latch onto every stumble, to let optics/narratives entirely determine their reaction to a given Biden event, annoying. I watched his latest speech live and coming in here and seeing almost all the takeaways be about this or that word he got wrong (and some things he didn't get wrong at all, just some folks aren't very familiar with political verbiage) doesn't reflect well on the discourse. The inevitability of memes does not mean we should let our critical thinking skills wither on the vine.

But no, it very much is eyeroll worthy the selective way in which some overemphasize the whole stutter angle. Biden's decline is eminently evident. It's eminently evident why people might perceive that decline when he, say, swerves into some random tangent. Even if you give space for the fact that his stutter has a role, which you should, it's very obvious he's lost multiple steps and it hardly requires your "true colors" to show for that to be a big part of how you frame his stumbles.

Like, I don't know what some of y'all want. No one can precisely compartmentalize how much a given confusing sentence has to do with his stutter, his broader decline, his travel schedule, the lighting in the room, or whatever else. Even if we do a better job habitualizing throwing in a "I'm sure his stutter is playing a role here" when we react to something he said, that's not going to stop the sense of Biden heavily wearing his age from lingering in the air, and that's where the eyerolls come in: the demand to frame all this in terms of his stutter feels like a futile attempt to ask people to put their heads in the sand.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
The "dementia" thing specifically bothers me, because anyone who has watched a family member go through dementia can immediately see this isn't that.

Dementia looks closer to psychosis than it does to normal cognitive decline. It's awful and painful and this ain't it.
My grandfather has dementia, he has experienced slow decline of his cognitive function over the past 5 or 6 years or so. I strongly disagree with the assertion that it looks like 'psychosis.' He'd be very easy to take advantage of, if *anyone* told him they needed *anything* he'd try to get it to them. He struggles to distinguish between what is truly actionable information and what isn't. He has a lot less control over his emotions and emotional state than he had before. He is much more together and coherent in the morning, but as he gets tired he starts to lose the thread in the afternoon and evenings. He can do routine things, but things that are out of routine can be a big difficulty. A small but effective example is putting on the seat belt in a car- he can do it himself no problems in his vehicles that he's owned and been in many times, but struggles to figure out how to do it in a car he is unfamiliar with. He can take apart, service and reassemble a small motor no problem but he probably could not tell me what he had for lunch, or if he had lunch, even. If you ask him a question he can become *very* stressed because he believes he should be able to answer them question but he often simply cannot come up with the information that he needs.

I don't know what's happening with Biden, and its irresponsible to arm chair diagnose him based off a few public appearances. Maybe he's simply struggling with the stutter- but I do think it is obvious that he isn't the public speaker now that he was even 4 years ago(and he has always been gaffe prone), and that is troubling considering his age and the position he would like to hold in our country. There is almost nothing he could say or do that would cause me to vote for someone other than him if he's one the ticket considering the opponent and the stakes- but I think its simply accepting reality to acknowledge that *something* has changed and he's a less effective public speaker now.

Mar 11, 2020
People do and will always say stupid shit all of the time that I don't agree with. Family members who support Trump say stupid shit all of the time that I have to bite my tongue over because there's no point in trying to argue any type of reason into them. I still wouldn't wish death on them even if my shred of sympathy might be an all-time 2%.

This entire situation has made me hoping that none of them are stupid enough to go to a trump rally at this point.
If you get family members like mine i think you'd change your tune. I have some that have actively hurt me physically and mentally i honestly wish were dead, but evil just doesn't die. I actively wished they were dead as they berated and abused me for being gay.

Cut out of my life for now and i hope it lasts until at least a certain one of them is dead, i'm done putting up with racist bigots.

Some of that shit this guy said i am seeing from posts here is heinous. Which makes me believe there is more not said based on that shit.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we posting random hate content from Twitter? What does this have to do with anything?
He's the guy that died at the rally. Did he deserve a bullet to the head? No. Definitely not. Was he a good person? Also no, seems not. These are the sort of people Trump gets riled up though. They're the sort that go to a fascist rally. News talking about what a great dad and family man he was, well… this is who he was.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
My grandfather has dementia, he has experienced slow decline of his cognitive function over the past 5 or 6 years or so. I strongly disagree with the assertion that it looks like 'psychosis.' He'd be very easy to take advantage of, if *anyone* told him they needed *anything* he'd try to get it to them. He struggles to distinguish between what is truly actionable information and what isn't. He has a lot less control over his emotions and emotional state than he had before. He is much more together and coherent in the morning, but as he gets tired he starts to lose the thread in the afternoon and evenings. He can do routine things, but things that are out of routine can be a big difficulty. A small but effective example is putting on the seat belt in a car- he can do it himself no problems in his vehicles that he's owned and been in many times, but struggles to figure out how to do it in a car he is unfamiliar with. He can take apart, service and reassemble a small motor no problem but he probably could not tell me what he had for lunch, or if he had lunch, even. If you ask him a question he can become *very* stressed because he believes he should be able to answer them question but he often simply cannot come up with the information that he needs.
Dementia varies wildly from person to person. I'm not saying it always present as psychosis. But the point is that the loss of control of emotions & emotional regulation is a central symptom, which can often appear untethered to reality for outside observers. Sometimes this is paired with actual delusion or psychotic symptoms, sometimes it's not, but it's not merely being feeble and forgetful.

Biden forgetting things and stuttering more are not dementia.

Also I'm sorry for what your grandfather - and you & your family - is going through. I went through it with my grandma. It was really painful for everyone.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I've had some massive anxiety over Biden's condition myself, but that was otherwise a rock-solid speech. The word-flubs were hardly the disaster last month's debate was and I don't see the point in magnifying them.

So let me get this straight.

One of his supporters died to a bullet that was meant for him.

And Trump responds by going golfing the next day?

Yeah, he's not going to moderate himself. A ghoul through and through.

Do we have hard confirmation on this? I know there's reports that he's retreated to his golf club, but that one Mike Lee tweet turned out to feature older footage.

(Not that he actually gives a shit about his supporters, mind. I'd fully expect this from him otherwise -- we heard loud and clear he cared more about his shoes.)

It's not good that there was violence and someone was killed. It's awful that his kids will be without a father.

But I'm not expending a single ounce of sympathy for someone like this

View: https://x.com/Corey_Comper/status/1810715389053305072?ref_url=

And yes that is him. You can see him talk about the PA rally in his latest tweet.

I'm not going to celebrate Corey's death, but I will say this Bluesky post echoes my own thoughts in that there's a grim irony with how he died for the violent ideology he proudly championed.

...actually, you know what, I'll just quote it:

Maybe the lesson here is that the people who built a political movement out of the vigilante revenge fantasies of socially maladjusted and heavily armed people overestimated their own ability to control where, when, and at whom the violence they encourage would be directed

lori

Oct 25, 2017
It's eminently evident why people might perceive that decline when he, say, swerves into some random tangent
see, that part was normal biden though. he was always crazy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DbE2SmV2bs

it's mostly evident in the way it's impacted his speaking abilities, like his tone of voice as well as his control over it. he's also seemingly gotten more egotistic and careless to the point where he'd let things like "as long as i tried my best" slip out in interviews. he's also not able to really respond to people well a lot of the time. has difficulties remembering specific talking points in something like, say, a debate setting. his postures as well as the way he moves indicate there are other, actual issues health wise that also aren't being disclosed, but i am not a doctor and it is not my place.

there's precedent, recent precedent even, of people in our party who were basically wheeled around the same way when they should've been being taken care of, so people also have extra reason to be wary of what they are seeing here.

Mar 11, 2020

1a96a71d-c92f-4939-a2b6-6897e0d09152_text.gif

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
They're not still saying it's glass are they? I think the consensus now is a near miss which causes that kind of wound.

The only source I've seen saying Trump was actually hit is him saying it. I'm having a hard time to visualizing how a shot would do that from this angle even with his head turned towards the shooter would result in just piercing his upper part of his right ear as he says happened. The photo showing the bullet is behind him from one of the misses going past him. Not that it really matters if Trump got grazed by a bullet or if it was glass, guy shouldn't have been able to even get a shot off before agents shot him, I can't believe they weren't watching that rooftop.

EDIT: Having looked at some shots of the stage, glass looks to be unlikely so he really just got super lucky with a graze.

Last edited:

Royalan

Not actually the youngest mod — AP Fact Check
Oct 24, 2017
he's also not able to really respond to people well a lot of the time. has difficulties remembering specific talking points in something like, say, a debate setting.

He held a press conference after that debate during which he called on 10 different reporters and answered 19 questions about in-depth policy.

The debate wasn't yesterday, y'all. Debates are also far removed from normal settings.

Nov 8, 2017
Real life is much stupider than movies part 12342342.

Hollywood movies about shooting someone protected by the secret service: "I must set up a giant antimateriel rifle in a hotel suite and fire it remote controlled for maximum precision to kill him from 10 kilometers away while adjusting for the curvature of the earth and making sure conditions are just right"

Real life: "I must find a roof that the secret service just kind of forgot about 150 meters away from the rally".

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
The thing is, I really just want people to fucking say it at this point. Stand ten toes down.

Because the more people speak to Biden's competency, and the more he demonstrates it...the more all the cries of "legitimate" concerns sounds motivated.

Y'all gotta have more than simple flubs at this point, or else you're just insulting an entire swath of people...whether you cop to it or not.

You'd have to excuse a lot to say Biden's only suffered from simple flubs. Plus you'd have to ignore his noticeable decline from just a couple years ago. At this point, though, my concern is not so much his ability to lead the country (though I do think that's in question, especially 2 or 3 years from now) but whether or not he'll be able to articulate a case for himself against Trump.

The fight is for undecided voters, not never-Trumps. The case against Trump should be easy, and yet the debate was overwhelmingly seen as a failure for Biden. This assassination attempt will sadly not work in Biden's favor. Again, is it possible to spin it to make Trump look bad? Sure. Is Biden going to be able to do that when Trump is going to be shouting "They tried to kill me, but they couldn't do it!" from every rooftop? I seriously doubt it.

Biden may still have the mental faculties to be President (again, I think there is serious cause for concern) - but to be President, you have to win the election.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
He held a press conference after that debate during which he called on 10 different reporters and answered 19 questions about in-depth policy.

The debate wasn't yesterday, y'all. Debates are also far removed from normal settings.
i want to respond, but first, just to gauge where you are at the moment, do you think biden is not dealing with any neurological issues at the moment?

Royalan

Not actually the youngest mod — AP Fact Check
Oct 24, 2017
You'd have to excuse a lot to say Biden's only suffered from simple flubs. Plus you'd have to ignore his noticeable decline from just a couple years ago. At this point, though, my concern is not so much his ability to lead the country (though I do think that's in question, especially 2 or 3 years from now) but whether or not he'll be able to articulate a case for himself against Trump.

The fight is for undecided voters, not never-Trumps. The case against Trump should be easy, and yet the debate was overwhelmingly seen as a failure for Biden. This assassination attempt will sadly not work in Biden's favor. Again, is it possible to spin it to make Trump look bad? Sure. Is Biden going to be able to do that when Trump is going to be shouting "They tried to kill me, but they couldn't do it!" from every rooftop? I seriously doubt it.

Biden may still have the mental faculties to be President (again, I think there is serious cause for concern) - but to be President, you have to win the election.

Then the people making this case hold the burden of being clear.

Look, I honestly don't care much about Biden. But people are being real loose with their language, and that in itself is a problem. Don't think Biden can win, make that argument. Hiding behind flubs, implying things about his overall mental state that skate very close to outright ageism? That's not an argument.

Stand ten toes down.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
If you get family members like mine i think you'd change your tune. I have some that have actively hurt me physically and mentally i honestly wish were dead, but evil just doesn't die. I actively wished they were dead as they berated and abused me for being gay.

Cut out of my life for now and i hope it lasts until at least a certain one of them is dead, i'm done putting up with racist bigots.

Some of that shit this guy said i am seeing from posts here is heinous. Which makes me believe there is more not said based on that shit.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
You're not worth a serious response

If non sequitur guilt trips count as serious responses to you, if having that pointed out is a character attack to you, then I doubt you were ever going to give a serious response.

You may find death something to glee over, but I don't.

Neither do I?

Does this count as one of those "character attacks" and "cute" "paraphrases" you've been going on about?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Real life is much stupider than movies part 12342342.

Hollywood movies about shooting someone protected by the secret service: "I must set up a giant antimateriel rifle in a hotel suite and fire it remote controlled for maximum precision to kill him from 10 kilometers away while adjusting for the curvature of the earth and making sure conditions are just right"

Real life: "I must find a roof that the secret service just kind of forgot about 150 meters away from the rally".

8x0hsi.jpg