• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.nme.com

John Fogerty responds to Donald Trump's use of 'Fortunate Son' at campaign rally

Creedence Clearwater Revival's John Fogerty has responded to Donald Trump's use of the band's song 'Fortunate Son' at a recent campaign rally

Donald Trump has been widely mocked after playing Creedence Clearwater Revival's 'Fortunate Son' when arriving at a campaign rally in Michigan.

The 1969 track was released at the height of the Vietnam war and offers a scathing take on military deferments and the safe positions that were offered to well-connected individuals at a time when millions of Americans were being drafted to the front line.

Singer John Fogerty previously said of the track: "The song speaks more to the unfairness of class than war itself. It's the old saying about rich men making war and poor men having to fight them."

But there is a certain irony in Trump playing the track as he arrived on Thursday evening (September 10), given his dubious association with the conflict.

Trump was originally deemed medically fit for military service in July 1968, after the last of four consecutive student deferments came to an end.
The unfortunate choice comes a week after Trump was accused of disrespecting the US military.

According to reports from The Atlantic, he described America's war dead as "losers" and "suckers".

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Are you fucking kidding me? What fucking moron signed off on that? Is he actually surrounded by complete fucking idiots?

These are all rhetorical questions of course, I know his staff is full of borderline neanderthals

John Fogerty is probably screaming at this.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
i am sure his more uninformed followers also probably just think of CCR as good ole southern boys too. they're all idiots and this is probably gonna get a C&D from Fogerty I'd bet.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Are you fucking kidding me? What fucking moron signed off on that? Is he actually surrounded by complete fucking idiots?

These are all rhetorical questions of course, I know his staff is full of borderline neanderthals

John Fogerty is probably screaming at this.
It's a good and popular song and other than a brief note from the Left pointing out the hypocrisy absolutely nobody will care in any meaningful way after a day.

That's where we are now. Things like this no longer matter.

This is not me approving but pointing out why his campaign gives no shits.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
This song gets played at these kind of things plus every Memorial day and Fourth of July event ever.

I 100% believe its because Fogerty says "the red white and blue" fairly audibly and everyone just ignores the rest of the lyrics and meaning of the song.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
He recently played "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" at one of his maskless rallies...

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Boomers love the 60s man. Not a single one remembers selling their hippie soul though.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
tenor.gif

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This song gets played at these kind of things plus every Memorial day and Fourth of July event ever.

I 100% believe its because Fogerty says "the red white and blue" fairly audibly and everyone just ignores the rest of the lyrics and meaning of the song.
Same with Born In The USA cause they just hear the title 🤣🤦🏾‍♂️

Got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man

Born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says, "Son if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said, "Son, don't you understand"

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Perfect for a rich draft dodger who got help from rich doctors and daddy's money.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much, yeah.

100% also believe the only words people get out of "Born in the USA" are the chorus, "Viet Cong", and "yellow man".

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
I remember Paul Ryan saying his favorite band was Rage Against The Machine.

Oct 28, 2017

The same way they think Born in the USA is an anthem of national pride.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017

"And so I find it confusing, I would say, that the president has chosen to use my song for his political rallies, when in fact it seems like he is probably the fortunate son."

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's a good and popular song and other than a brief note from the Left pointing out the hypocrisy absolutely nobody will care in any meaningful way after a day.

That's where we are now. Things like this no longer matter.

This is not me approving but pointing out why his campaign gives no shits.

Alright, Bill Paxton in Aliens.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same with Born In The USA cause they just hear the title 🤣🤦🏾‍♂️

Got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man

Born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says, "Son if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said, "Son, don't you understand"

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn Nine-Nine playing Nique la police is funny, this, this is just sad.

Fuck Trump and his staff :/

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Reminds me of conservatives loving certain Springsteen songs before realizing they're scathing critiques of America.