Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are confused about the fact that in order to get Gamepass on Switch Microsoft will have to have conceded something to Nintendo, not the other way around. Nintendo allowing Microsoft to circumvent the traditional third party model is already more than would be expected.

However I'm sure Microsoft is keen to be in a position of already partnering with Nintendo on streaming and subscription services if Nintendo is ever in a position that they have to abandon their existing business model.

Kind of impressed that people still managed to turn it into "Nintendo should go third party!" even at a time when Nintendo is very, very successful

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
It's possible and dare I say likely at some point. Are they gonna give up the bread and butter IP like remastered 4K versions of Zelda and Mario....?..No. But I do think there are online competitive Nintendo titles that make perfect sense for Xbox and won't cannibalize Nintendo hardware sales..if anything just reach a different audience.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I think people are confused about the fact that in order to get Gamepass on Switch Microsoft will have to have conceded something to Nintendo, not the other way around. Nintendo allowing Microsoft to circumvent the traditional third party model is already more than would be expected.

However I'm sure Microsoft is keen to be in a position of already partnering with Nintendo on streaming and subscription services if Nintendo is ever in a position that they have to abandon their existing business model.

Kind of impressed that people still managed to turn it into "Nintendo should go third party!" even at a time when Nintendo is very, very successful

In 10 years, when streaming video games is the standard, is Nintendo going to be able to operate their own streaming service? Or are they going to have to use someone else's technology?

What if they use AWS hardware and services? But the front end app is Nintendo content only?

People are having a conversation like it's 1995. The entire industry is radically shifting.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No, probably not. It's very little benefit for them, especially as Xbox isn't exactly a completely different market. They already sell to the people thatXbox does.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
No, Microsoft and Nintendo are in two totally different positions. Microsoft is a service and software company that wants to be everywhere and it makes sense for them to extend their platform. The Switch part is getting all the attention because OMG Xbox games on Switch, but Switch is just one device of many that will see Xbox games.

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft putting games on Nintendo and the conversation still turns to "Nintendo should go 3rd party" is really weird

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
In 10 years, when streaming video games is the standard, is Nintendo going to be able to operate their own streaming service? Or are they going to have to use someone else's technology?

What if they use AWS hardware and services? But the front end app is Nintendo content only?

People are having a conversation like it's 1995. The entire industry is radically shifting.
In 10 years? Probably, if not Nintendo would have streaming partners climbing over each other to either have them use their service or their tech to make their own.
EA and I think Ubi are doing their own streaming services, Nintendo likely can too, especially with 10 years to plan for it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That would probably be the default assumption. Gamespy hosted Wii/DS online services and Nintendo uses Google servers for Switch online, and Hatena has been involved in stuff like Flipnote Studio and Miiverse.

However I think 10 years is a bit too ambitious and Nintendo would definitely be the hold out.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
No.
Nintendo is letting Microsoft use their console to expand their userbase for xCloud and Game Pass, that enough of itself.

Oct 29, 2017
No. Nintendo have absolutely no reason to. They don't care about the streaming market, or the graphical arms race, or the notion of "generic"/"standard" hardware and games.

They live and die by their uniqueness. Even in a world where streaming services rule the traditional industry, Nintendo would still happily be able to live off of their own unique hardware and unique first party titles.

They'll gladly accept Microsoft's support, but there's nothing to gain from diluting themselves.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
hence this topic should've never been made and should be locked
Just want to clarify I made this topic because people wanted to talk about it, not to push some personal agenda.

I also think this thread is overwhelmingly in the "no" camp.

cause it's the truth, it's just a 'nother begging for nintendo to 3rd party topic under a good skin

I only play on Nintendo Switch and basically only post in threads related to Nintendo content so this feels weird to read.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NSO exclusive content is the extent I would at most see this go

Nes games on xbox - yay.. uhh

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
The possibility is absolutely there. Not that there's a big chance of it happening any time soon, but it's there.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly, no
nintendo is in a great place and they've shown no interest to offer their games on other platforms (other than their few offerings on mobile which seem to be ways to get people to engage with their IPs and not offering full on nintendo games on mobile). nintendo has little to nothing to gain from putting their games on xbox.
microsoft on the other hand seems to be clearly going for a platform agnostic type of service to offer their games on other platforms so (assuming the rumors are true) putting gamepass on switch makes sense for them.
having said that, depending of how deep this partnership goes, i can see some multiplat collaborations between switch and xbox happening in the future, stuff like a golden eye remaster.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to clarify I made this topic because people wanted to talk about it, not to push some personal agenda.

I also think this thread is overwhelmingly in the "no" camp.

I only play on Nintendo Switch and basically only post in threads related to Nintendo content so this feels weird to read.
sorry i just find this topic pointless. nintendo doesn't need to post their stuff on other systems. with how well the switch doing well

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Of course. I mean, who'd have thought we'd be seeing Xbox titles on a Nintendo console a year ago. Anything could happen.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017

People like Nintendo games, they don't like having to put up with the latest in Nintendo gimmicks.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ummm no.

Microsoft is approaching Nintendo as a third party publisher. There is absolutely no reason Nintendo needs to do the same with Xbox. They don't owe MS anything.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't some older games get ported to nvidia shield? Maybe something like that could happen, for some older games in some markets, on xcloud only.

I think in general though, no.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ummm no.

Microsoft is approaching Nintendo as a third party publisher. There is absolutely no reason Nintendo needs to do the same with Xbox. They don't owe MS anything.
i think some people are seeing this as an exchange and MS offering nintendo something and therefore deserving something in return, but really it's just MS getting a huge new userbase for their platform and services, that's what they're getting. nintendo is probably getting a very sweet deal in return, otherwise it wouldn't have been allowed on their system.
it's not nintendo here that's looking for a new audience for their games.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think some people are seeing this as an exchange and MS offering nintendo something and therefore deserving something in return, but really it's just MS getting a huge new userbase for their platform and services, that's what they're getting. nintendo is probably getting a very sweet deal in return, otherwise it wouldn't have been allowed on their system.

Yup

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I could see classic games being made available like NES/SNES/N64/GameCube, but no way for current titles.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
The mobile and NVIDIA Shield comparisons people have brought up in this thread and others are highly flawed, if not disingenuous.

The titles on the Shield are exclusive to the Chinese version and Nintendo has little brand presence in China. All of the products previously sold there were under the iQue brand and they recently announced that they're no longer distributing hardware to the Chinese market.

The mobile titles are spin-offs and/or watered down versions of their console games, not ports. They're meant to be introduce people to their own hardware.

Someone already brought up that Nintendo never ported their classic games to mobile even though they probably would have done well.

Assuming this whole deal is true, the benefits have been clearly outlined in Microsoft's case. More service subscriptions for them equals more money. Nintendo's main source of revenue is hardware.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
lol no.

Microsoft is just following a broader trend for them where they are trying to make a lot of their main stuff platform agnostic because their platforms are largely either waning or actively failing. It's somewhat of a desperation move to keep themselves from fading into irrelevance. Nintendo isn't anywhere close to a position where they'd have to do something like that.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo: "We're consolidating our handheld and console teams. Only working on one platform means we can increase our output."

[Later]: "j/k We're optimizing a bunch of Xbox ports too!"

Also, the internet rage if some Nintendo game came out on Xbox with better graphics specs than Nintendo's hardware would break the web.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anything is possible if the rumours of the past few days are true. The industry is changing so much that no one can predict the future.

As a huge Nintendo fan though I'd absolutely love to be able to play games like Breath of the Wild at native 4k/60fps on my X or W10 PC instead of dynamic 900p/30fps when docked on Switch.

Yoshi running at 600p in 2019 is getting a bit ridiculous even though it looks good for 600p.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why don't people just enjoy what you have in Nintendo right now, they are the last true blue game company that's selling hardware.

In 10-15 years maybe you'll get your "faceless online service that controls everything gaming run by giant global conglomerate" where you're stuck paying $19.99 a month to access your games and there is no hardware left.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I suppose it'd depend on the title. If the partnership continues to blossom, I could see some lower level stuff. Maybe titles that Nintendo struggles to sell, perhaps to try out a new market, but you'll never see the giants like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc on a Microsoft platform.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I could see some Ninetendo 'exclusives' coming over. Bayo 2 and 3 for example. Or maybe some of the less 'obvious' Nintendo properties like Xenoblade.

But I dont see Mario and Zelda outside on a Microsoft console.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
If Gamepass on Switch is real I dont see why this would be impossible. Possibly it could require some sort of Nintendo subscription.

All of this still feels like a far fetched dream though, but one can hope.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Why don't people just enjoy what you have in Nintendo right now, they are the last true blue game company that's selling hardware.

In 10-15 years maybe you'll get your "faceless online service that controls everything gaming run by giant global conglomerate" where you're stuck paying $19.99 a month to access your games and there is no hardware left.
Paying a sub for a full library of games is a huge win for me, there are some downsides but I am mostly glad if that is the future.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
ejvhIDt.jpg

The way Microsoft is moving, they probably see getting their platform out there as much as possible. Whatever is going on, if anything, I can see being very lopsided in the effort put into it, as in Microsoft is probably going to do a lot "for Nintendo" and Nintendo's part is basically just letting them.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I could see certain properties being allocated to this for the cross-play possibilities (such as a multi-player Metroid game), but I doubt that we'll ever see a Mario or Zelda game on Xbox. That said, when I was playing BotW, as impressive as it was that it was running on Switch, I would've preferred that it be running on more powerful hardware to alleviate the performance issues.