• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does this piss you off?

• It absolutely grinds my gears

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • I’m not that petty

Votes: 91 6.4%
  • Who gives a shit? It’s a phone anyway

Votes: 1,330 92.9%

• Total voters

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
lol that's ridiculous. I'd like it if we could stop calling them "phones" since that's a tertiary function at best, but I don't expect that to happen. Though maybe EU people have it right by just calling it a "mobile." I think how Germans call it a "handy" is kind of fun.

I also wish we didn't have the name "3d printer". We could have had home "fabricators" but missed the boat. But a piece of paper with ink also exists in 3 dimensions! (he shouts into the void)

I feel like naming it "fabricator" would cause way more confusion, whereas 3d printing even though paper and ink is technically 3d, is pretty simple to understand. But maybe it's bias because we're so used to the term now.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Are you looking forward to any upcoming record releases?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
No, the pedantic tech descriptor that bothers me more is when people refer to internet service as "wi-fi." There is a distinction there that's either lost on or ignored by most people. (Beyond "Well actually you're on Ethernet right now…")

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
I usually just call it a phone as I dont use any other phones at this point. Every region seems to have a different word for them though. Where I live I hear "cell" a lot. Some people I work with in Austria call them "handy" which I think pretty hilarious.

Dec 30, 2020
Cellular modular interactive audular phoooone

Edit: I love when people call them handies. I have a friend who always sounds preciously camp when he says wo ist mein handy.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've actually heard anyone use smartphone in a conversation before. Most people just call it a phone.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Just a phone lol
Imagine getting mad about that
Reminds me once when I worked at a diner a client asked for a cuban sandwich and me asking for what type of bread he preferred sent him into a 5 minute rant about the sabdwich only being acceptable in a particulr type of bread or else it wouldnt be a cuban sandwich, lmao.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
instructor spent quite possibly 5-10 mins complaining
latest

vibes

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
Just say phone? Why the need to be specific?

Edit: unless it's a paper or web form, then it would matter I'd say.

Oct 27, 2017
No. That's the nittiest of nitpicks. Like absurdly nitpicky. A smartphone is a type of cellphone.

Your instructor must be fun at parties, he sounds like the embodiment of "well actually…"

Feb 1, 2022
It is a phone that uses a cellular signal. It's a cell phone. Who cares, we know what he meant - it's like calling a game system an Xbox or Nintendo or a tissue a Kleenex. It's just something that made its way into the English language and became the defacto name for whatever.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
People call it something other than "phone" in casual conversation?

"Hey can I borrow your Smart Phone?"
"Hey can I borrow your Cell Phone?"

vs

"Hey can I borrow your phone?"

Scarlet Death

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've gotten used to just saying "my device" because there have been large swaths of Time in my life where the only 'phone' access I had was Skype on the DSi, PSP, or Google voice on a tablet. If not that I will just say phone to denote I have something with cellular capabilities and can be reached on it wherever.

Oct 25, 2017
If I go into detail for some reason its a cellphone.
but 99.9% of the time its just a phone(haven't even had a landline for 10ish years)

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I can't recall the last time I've heard "smart phone". "Cell Phone" is rarely used.

They're just "phones" now.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last time I referred to one as anything other than a "phone".

Do people actually say, "Have you seen my smartphone?"