Votes: 262 37.2%
  • No

Votes: 277 39.3%
  • They're OK

Votes: 165 23.4%

• Total voters

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Of the 50 fishing minigames I played, 4 or 5 were ok to good. Twilight Princess on Wii reigns supreme.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
If your game has water but no fishing you have failed.
Botw massively disappointed in this respect. Doubly so, since it actually has different kind of fish.

Jan 10, 2018
I remember really liking the fishing mechanic in Lineage II. So much better than the usual "watch the float for an eternity and press a single button when it moves" mechanic.

RDR2 also had pretty good fishing but it could've been a bit more advanced and challenging without any problem.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
My brain read finishing a game..

But no, only game I remember doing it was OoT. For some odd reason I loved it there.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've loved them ever since Link's Awakening, and by the time I got to Ocarina of Time I spent hours at Lake Hylia fishing. I always find them a nice change of pace from dashing around, and find them way more interesting than collecting hundreds of small items to craft slightly bigger items, just because it tends to be relatively self-contained. At least until it gets combined with a cooking system (looking at you Trails), at which point I tend to give up on all the minigame mechanics and get on with the plot, as those games are long enough already :D

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I like mini games, so if fishing is good I'm okay with it. However, i didn't enjoy the new paper Mario fishing section.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I hate them.

I would have platinum FFXV by now but I still don't have that level 10 fishing trophy. Just can't be bothered. There is no difficulty behind the trophy either just I don't wanna go fishing, sorry Noctis.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the game. I love fishing in FFXV and Stardew Valley and spent lots of hours on those, Meh on fishing in Nier Automata and Yakuza games, and pretty much dropped LoZ Twilight Princess altogether because of the fishing tutorial in the first hour (hmm maybe I should revisit that game at some point).

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
fishing with Dutch and Hosea was incredibly cool in rdr 2, the banter just made it so enjoyable
same for the mini quests with Javier and Kieran. Just a calm activity with some character building through dialogue

on its own, i dont do it much but iirc Far cry 5 had pretty fun finishing actually

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
sometimes you just want to vibe out and fish. Sometimes my solo sessions in Sea of Thieves are just me, a rowboat stocked with bait, my banjo and my fishing rod.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Poll and titles are opposite. If you answer yes to the title it's "no" in the poll and vice versa. Made it a bit confusing.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
depends on how it's done. it can be incredibly frustrating or relaxing.

i hated fishing in RDR2. in persona 5 royal i enjoyed it. animal crossing was fun too.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I absolutely despise fishing, but as long as there's no unique (non-fishing) content gated behind it, I don't care if they want to provide it to people who enjoy it.

Like if it's just cheevos and collectibles or whatever, fine. Don't gate a boss fight and a half dozen unique weapons behind that shit, though. (FUCK OFF, Terraria.)

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I guess it depends. It's pretty much always a shit mechanic made to pad the game out in most games. If it's actually integral like Animal Crossing or whatever it can be pretty good though. So many games having fishing minigames that shouldn't though...

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
If the fishing Minigame is REALLY simple (it usually is), I don't mind it at all, it usually is a relaxing break from combat and story. If it's too involved (different baits, rods, having to actually move the line manually...) I kind of ignore it.

I have accepted that Fishing minigames will be a thing on most JRPGs, I simply prefer them to be as painless as possible.

NeoSabin

Aug 12, 2019
Breath of Fire 3/4 had the most enjoyable fishing game that I can remember. It was even addicting at times for me lol

Oct 27, 2017
When they are done right, they are really great to have. I love Far Cry's fishing. It is such a chill thing to do after all the action.

Ghost of Tsushima 2 needs to have it.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I like it as it builds out the world. I remember it back in the day in Zelda as a revelation to me, you could do this separate activity as much as you wanted. If they're not good they shouldn't be mandatory of course.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the only one I like is the RDR2 one, because at least you can see the beautiful vistas.

Usually I hate fishing minigames. I really don't get why JRPGs are obsessed with them.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
They're okay if done right.
I just don't need fishing to be a vital part of the game outside of games like Stardew Valley and survival games.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I noticed a prompt for fishing in Nier Automata and i'm a bit like ??? everytime

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018
I used to love fishing as a kid when playing Ocarina of Time.
Nowadays i usually skip them cause they bore me. Dont know if its the games fault or my impatience, i think a mix of both.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoy them, and I certainly miss them when a game feels like it should have them but doesn't (BotW, Ghost of Tsushima)

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Fishing minigames are genuinely one of my favorite things to do in all games, no matter how poor or not the minigame is, I absolutely adore fishing in games. That said, I'd kill for a good fishing game these days...

SpiderLink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They're fine and can even be great, but not really how I would usually choose to spend my time in-game. It's nice that it's there for the people who like it, but please don't gate the true end or best weapon or whatever behind catching leviathan for which you need the best rod for which you need to learn the card combat system for which you need to have played the card game the whole game, and so on.

I understand that integrating rewards from different mechanics is a cool idea, but unless the game is stellar to begin with I don't usually have the interest to delve super deeply into every mini-game, you know?

That said, NieR was something really special and I'm still annoyed at the dude who gave it a bad review because of the fishing.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I usually hate them at the beggining, and then it becomes my favorite thing in the game.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Hm

You know I think it took me purt near 20 years before I managed to catch the Hylian loach

I hope they bring back a fishing minigame in BOTW2. May not fit with the feel of the game, precisely, but I'd still really enjoy it

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I love fishing in RDR2. Going for all legendaries is pretty fun and no kill fish is rewarded as it has positive effects on the morality meter.

Last edited:

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like fishing games by themselves. But if there is a fishing mini game, it better be as realistic as possible, or else it's super tedious and boring. I did so much fishing in the Monster Hunter series..which is just the basic fishing that's in most games...especially in world since I gold crown farmed all endemic life. No thanks, gimme line physics, water currents and wind, and to the dismay of many, gimme motion controls

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Really depends on the game. I liked it in FFXV and Twilight Princess where they were practically games in their own right. Animal Crossing vexes me because it's effectively a lottery ticket.

I definitely remember renting a couple of Hot-B's fishing sims back in the NES era and having fun with them. So I'm genuinely not opposed to them.

I don't know why JRPGs are so obsessed with them.

Might have something to do with originating from an island nation?

hypostatic

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
A game having a fishing mini-game is enough for me to take a look at it. It's one of my favorite aspects of video games.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I will put up with them if it's just "press button to cast; lure in"

But if the fishing bonus is even remotely challenging, I'm out. Not interested in spending time to learn. My gaming time is too precious.